Equilateratoria

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

Re: Equilateratoria

Postby Intocabille_CZ » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:19 am

So um... free eat bacon, take bacon, go south, bank 1 action if I understand the plan right? Kinda lost at the bacon usage and who needds how much.
Intocabille_CZ

Postby ETheBoyce » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:18 pm

Wait we can get warrior exp for attacking pigs now?
ETheBoyce
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby 0beron » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:20 pm

MarbitChow wrote:Scouts aren't leveling not because the XP system is broken - they're not leveling because they're not scouting. :D

All due respect, that's an unfair claim and oversimplifies things. Arthemy was focusing entirely on scouting for a few turns and still didn't manage to level. You tout "revealing is worth 3 actions" as if that's a bonus...it TAKES 3 actions to reveal, so um yeah, thanks for stating the obvious.
Furthermore, I think you kinda missed my point, so ill rephrase. Scouts DEPEND on everyone else in order to do their job. The depend on other players not just camping out in a zone so that we get some fog to clear. We depend on other players not getting to another zone first. We depend on other players killing the enemies that would otherwise overwhelm us in a new zone. Scouts can't do a thing on their own, more so than other character types.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby MarbitChow » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:06 pm

ETheBoyce wrote:Wait we can get warrior exp for attacking pigs now?

Turn 7:
Eric hits! Pig loses 1 hit. (4 of 5 Hits) Eric feels like he's getting better at being a Hunter (1 combat action)
I'm probably going to limit XP from animals to 1st level, though, since they're pretty easy to kill.

0beron wrote:All due respect, that's an unfair claim and oversimplifies things. Arthemy was focusing entirely on scouting for a few turns and still didn't manage to level. You tout "revealing is worth 3 actions" as if that's a bonus...it TAKES 3 actions to reveal, so um yeah, thanks for stating the obvious.

MarbitChow wrote:
Werebiscuit wrote:Note: Currently scouts have to spend 3 actions (travelling) to gain 1 xp.
Actually, each 'zone revealed' event is worth 3 actions.

Clearly it wasn't obvious, since Werebiscuit was under the impression that each reveal was worth 1 xp.

0beron wrote:Furthermore, I think you kinda missed my point, so ill rephrase. Scouts DEPEND on everyone else in order to do their job. The depend on other players not just camping out in a zone so that we get some fog to clear. We depend on other players not getting to another zone first. We depend on other players killing the enemies that would otherwise overwhelm us in a new zone. Scouts can't do a thing on their own, more so than other character types.
Actually, no one relies on anyone else. Nothing stops you from gathering wood on your own, crafting it into a spear and shield on your own, and venturing out. A forester can do it faster, certainly, but you can still do it.

Skill trees act as bonuses for people who want to behave a particular way. They unlock certain features, certainly, but there are very few things that can't be done by any player currently, by design. You might not get XP for it, obviously, but spending 4 turns to make a spear gives you a +3 offense item, which puts you at the same combat as an unarmed 2nd level warrior, who needed to spend 6 turns in combat or 12 turns training to get there.

Combat is also designed to be dangerous but not (generally) instantly fatal. I assumed that players who picked scout wanted to explore the unknown, and were fine risking life and limb to be the first to see a new zone. Texas grabbed a mushroom and hurled himself into the unknown. Hyde grabbed a pick and decided to focus on Miner first. If you and Texas were to team up and explore together, you'd both be getting full scout XP as each zone was revealed.

-----

Having said all that, the next combat will be the first real brawl. Since many players only have 1 military class, it's clear where combat XP goes. Casting XP must also go to mystic, but I've been considering allowing players to chose where their fight XP gets assigned if they have 2 military skill trees. So, for example, when Texas hurls himself into a zone and starts trying to kill things, I've been assuming that the XP should go to Warrior, but with this change, it could go to scout instead. Similarly, as a Mystic / Scout, if you chose to attack instead of cast, the attack XP could go to either Mystic or Scout. Thoughts?
Equilateratoria is now underway. New players are welcome to join at any time! (Rules)
MarbitChow

Postby John Mandrake » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:12 pm

MarbitChow wrote:John Mandrake: "Raithar" the Warrior 2 / Metallurgist [+3 Off/+3 Def, +1 Hits, Basic Armor Skills, Craft Iron Bar] Offense 11 / Defense 10 / Hits 11 of 11

Equipped: Wooden Spear (+3 Offense), Wooden Shield (+2 Defense)
(no unused experience)

I don't appear to have taken any damage or gotten any xp from this...
Also, isn't the shield supposed to be +3 defense?

The plan is still to attack the orb zone this turn, right?
John Mandrake

Postby MarbitChow » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:23 pm

John Mandrake wrote:I don't appear to have taken any damage or gotten any xp from this... Also, isn't the shield supposed to be +3 defense?
You took 1 pt. of damage, but then ate at the end of the turn, restoring it. (Each eat action, including the free one, can restore 2 hits.) If you are attacked but don't take damage, one of your defensive items absorbs the blow, reducing it's defense. You can craft repair kits which you can use to restore damaged items.
Equilateratoria is now underway. New players are welcome to join at any time! (Rules)
MarbitChow

Postby John Mandrake » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:35 pm

Oh, okay.

What about my xp from attacking 4 times though?
Last edited by John Mandrake on Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Mandrake

Postby ETheBoyce » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:10 pm

So I should have more exp from the time I fought that pig
ETheBoyce
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby 0beron » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:47 pm

Arthemy resists the overpowering urge to mimic Katara, and instead continues his move East, Banks 1 action, picks up any spare food he can carry, and begins moving South.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby LTDave » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:09 pm

Eric will join the attack on the stone orb hex.

"My life for [insert name of side here] stone!"
LTDave

Postby MarbitChow » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:12 pm

ETheBoyce wrote:So I should have more exp from the time I fought that pig
Noted. That will add 1 combat action XP to your total.
MarbitChow

Postby ETheBoyce » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:47 pm

Texas will take his free forage/eat, grab a piece of Bacon and CHAAAARGE South. This should leave him with 1 banked action for the next turn slaughtering
ETheBoyce
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby BrimStone » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:30 pm

BrimStone will move South and attack the first bad-orby thing he sees. If none visible bank the action. Eat the bacon I am carrying.
BrimStone

Postby turbler » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:38 am

I should have a banked action, which isn't listed. (Also, I feel as though I've missed something... what's this about a grand melee?)
turbler

Postby ETheBoyce » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:43 am

Texas should also have a banked action which he will also use to attack if he can
ETheBoyce
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby Werebiscuit » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:09 am

Hyde will drop the empty cart for Arthemy or Jordan and retrieve 2 pieces of bacon and move south to baconise earth orb 3 with his 2 remaining actions. Free eating/foraging as necessary (preferebly before he picks up the bacon) to keep up his strength.
Shouting
"Attack a completely innocent stranger will you ? Let's see what you do when he has friends ! "
Werebiscuit

Postby Werebiscuit » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:29 am

OOC My last word on Scouting XP. Marbit I think you've missed my point. Other professions can earn 4 xp per turn doing their profession if they commit all their actions to it.. Currently there is no way a scout can do that....their max is 3 XP (which previously I HAD thought 1).
I was looking to make that a possible 4 by foraging as an order... that is all. /OOC
Werebiscuit

Postby Intocabille_CZ » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:13 am

A bit stupid question, the cart is used for the stuff (rocks. etc) only right? Nothing like let's say a warrior pulling cart with another warrior, sparing the rider the need of spending actions on crossing zones. Though I do understand you can bank only one action, but you could "exploit" it, in way of the rider using his actions in previous area and then moving into next one.

Maybe we could use an animal trainer (forgot the occupation) to train um..uh... war pigs? to pull the cart :D Chariots attack! :D
Intocabille_CZ

Postby MarbitChow » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:35 am

turbler wrote:I should have a banked action, which isn't listed.
Noted.
ETheBoyce wrote:Texas should also have a banked action which he will also use to attack if he can
Also noted.
Werebiscuit wrote:Other professions can earn 4 xp per turn doing their profession if they commit all their actions to it.
Most other professions require either resources or viable targets to level. Scout requires neither. The way things currently stand, Scout even has a potentially horrible power-leveling exploit available that I'll have to address eventually. But even now, scouts CAN get 4 XP per turn. Arthemy is partially moving through a zone. Spending 4 move actions per turn will allow you to move through 4 zones in 3 turns. It ends up being 3 xp / 3 xp / 6 xp instead of 4/4/4, but it's the same end result.

Leatherworker and Metallurgist can't even START getting XP until they've got both resources AND a structure.

Scouts as fine as they are.

Intocabille_CZ wrote:A bit stupid question, the cart is used for the stuff (rocks. etc) only right? Nothing like let's say a warrior pulling cart with another warrior, sparing the rider the need of spending actions on crossing zones. Though I do understand you can bank only one action, but you could "exploit" it, in way of the rider using his actions in previous area and then moving into next one.

Maybe we could use an animal trainer (forgot the occupation) to train um..uh... war pigs? to pull the cart :D Chariots attack! :D
There will not be mounts in this game, and the only conditions in which a player can move another player is if the carried player is incapacitated. But you *can* use a cart to move an incapacitated player more easily than carrying them.
MarbitChow

Postby Werebiscuit » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:25 am

MarbitChow wrote:Most other professions require either resources or viable targets to level. Scout requires neither. The way things currently stand, Scout even has a potentially horrible power-leveling exploit available that I'll have to address eventually. But even now, scouts CAN get 4 XP per turn. Arthemy is partially moving through a zone. Spending 4 move actions per turn will allow you to move through 4 zones in 3 turns. It ends up being 3 xp / 3 xp / 6 xp instead of 4/4/4, but it's the same end result.

Sorry but you forced me to it. ;) The exploit is easily addressed by ruling that the actions spent determine the XP gained. eg spend 3 actions to trigger the xp = 3xp spend 1 action to trigger the xp =1xp. satisfies the already existing xp gained and no more exploit !

Scouts require an unnoccupied area...you already suggested we treat this as a resource...thus scouts DO require a resource. Can't have it both ways :twisted: ;) :D Think of an unnoccupied area as a 'viable target' !
However no other professions 'resources' can be negated by other players except of their own profession. And your 3/3/6 doesn't work as you can only bank one action unless I'm mistaken... the 4th move through 2 zones would require 2 banked actions.
Werebiscuit

PreviousNext

Return to Your Games