Card game interest check

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

Card game interest check

Postby tigerusthegreat » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:32 pm

I am developing a card game that has both a pvp mode (each player for himself til one survives) and a pve mode (four or so players trying to defeat one player's dm deck). I am looking for testers to work out some of the kinks and was wondering if anyone was interested in participating. I will post more details later, and i still need to finish some of the cards (text only atm, i need to find/hire an artist once this is production ready).

Any interest?
Prehendo Victoria - My first erfworld story. Comment thread

Last Updated 6/25/2014

Imperial Destiny (My Science Fiction Story) Updated 6/24/2014 (First Page)
Party Raid, a TCG Development Journal Updated 6/24/14
tigerusthegreat

Re: Card game interest check

Postby WhirdCheese » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:18 pm

Would this be done on forum? If so I'm game.
WhirdCheese

Postby tigerusthegreat » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:14 am

WhirdCheese wrote:Would this be done on forum? If so I'm game.

Yes. Card drawing would be done by either generating a random number (if we trust each other) or me generating a random number for each draw.

Some basic information:

Each player has an avatar that gives them some basic attributes and abilities (I'm still working on balance for a couple stats, so these are a little bare bones). In the initial release, there are four available:

Priest:
Ability: Can sacrifice faith points and pay for a spell in order to cast more spells than normally allotted. The first such spell costs faith points equal to its cost, in addition to the regular energy cost. Each additional spell costs extra, the second such spell costing twice its energy cost in faith points (but only its normal cost in actual energy), the third costing three times the energy cost in faith points (but only its normal cost in actual energy), etc, up to a maximum of five additional spells or instants.
Ability: Can sacrifice faith points on a 1 to 1 ratio to add additional healing to healing abilities.

Wizard:
Ability: Can sacrifice spellbook pages equal to the cost of a spell, in addition to paying the spell’s normal cost, to cast the spell without discarding or exiling it (the card remains in your hand). The spell can be cast again this turn as normal, or cast again according to this rule. For the purposes of the number of allowed spells per turn, spells cast this way count towards the limit of two spells and one instant per turn.
Ability: can sacrifice 4 spellbook pages to draw a card.
Note: Most wizard spells are very powerful, but require the spell be exiled once it is cast. This means it could only be played once per game. Using the wizard's abilities, the spell can be cast multiple times before it is finally exiled.

Warrior:
Ability: Can intercept one attack, taking the hit and damage himself, per round. Can only intercept attacks that would hit other players, not minions or creatures.
Ability: Can reduce damage taken at a 1 for 1 ratio with defense points (normal: 2 for 1 ratio).

Rogue:
Ability: Can attempt to evade one attack per round. Evading has a success chance of 5% per stealth point. Uses all stealth points, regardless of success or failure.
Ability: Gains 2 damage per player attacking the same target. Can attempt a sneak attack that increases this damage to 4 per player with a 5% success chance per stealth point. Uses all stealth points, regardless of success or failure. (for the purposes of this ability, a minion or creature attacking a target counts as that minion or creature’s owner attacking the target, so if a wizard and his two minions attack a target, the rogue only gets a +2 damage bonus, even though three entities are attacking the target).

Some other notes:
Card Energy Types: If no energy type is listed, then it is assumed all costs are colorless, and can be paid by any energy type. Otherwise, cards have one of five energy types: colorless (most equipment), mana (wizard spells), divinity (priest spells), focus (rogue spells), and fervor (warrior spells).

Defense Each player has a defense score. They can choose to exhaust their defense each round to reduce damage at a rate of 2 defense points per 1 damage (except the warrior who can reduce damage at a one to one ratio). Defense gained from armor, or a character's natural defense rating is refreshed at the start of their turn (excess defense points gained from spells or abilities are lost when used, but can be stockpiled from turn to turn). Defense gained from equipment is considered to refresh every turn unless specified otherwise.

The Energy Pool In order to pay for spells (general term used for all cards), a player must have energy in their energy pool. This is represented by cards discarded from the player's hand for the purpose of paying for other spells. A card can be used as either its own energy type, or as a colorless, general energy.

Actions per turn: Each turn a player may draw two cards. They may also play up to two cards into their energy pool or play two spells during their turn. Additionally, the player may play one spell with the instant descriptor at any point during the turn. (some abilities or spells may change these limitations).

Some example cards:
Common:
Broadsword: Costs 2 colorless Equip: 1 colorless Effect: All attacks deal 2 additional damage.
Throwing Dagger: Cost 1 colorless Equip: 1 colorless Effect: May unequip to deal 2 damage. Generates 1 stealth point
Holy Text: Cost 2 colorless Equip: 0 Effect: Increases your defense by 2. May sacrifice Holy Text to avoid one attack.
Scroll: Cost 3 colorless Equip: 1 colorless Effect: Sacrifice Scroll. Select a spell. You may cast this spell once this turn, paying its normal cost, but it remains in your hand instead of being discarded or exiled.
Uncommon:
Denarian Triblade: Costs: 2 colorless Equip: 1 colorless Effect: deal 4 damage to an enemy. Flip a coin, if heads the triblade is unequipped. If tails, the triblade is destroyed.
Mirrored Shield: Costs: 3 colorless Equip: 2 colorless Effect: Increases defense by 3. Effect: When targeted by a spell, pay 2 colorless and flip a coin. If heads, the spell’s target is changed to a target of your choice.
Staff of Mercy: Costs: 3 colorless Equip: 3 colorless Effect: Increases all healing done by 3. Effect: Sacrifice Staff of Mercy. You may heal 9 points of damage, split any way you like.
Rod of Fireballs: Costs: 2 colorless Equip: 3 coloress Effect: Once per turn, you may deal 4 fire damage to a target of your choosing. You must unequip Rod of Fireballs to use this effect.
Rare:
Blessed Baldric: Costs: 4 colorless Equip: 3 colorless Effect: Increases defense by 4. Effect: Once per turn you may pay 2 colorless to reduce incoming damage by 6.

Mythic:
Spellblade of Tritarus: Costs: 6 colorless Equip: 4 colorless Effect: Pay 3, deal 5 damage to the enemy. You can choose to gain 1 stealth, defense, spellbook page, or faith point for each point of damage dealt by this effect.
Effect: Increases damage by 2, does not apply to Spellblade of Tritarus’s effects.

Note on Equipment cards (all of the above) Equipment cards are special cards. You must pay their cost to play them, and then pay their equip cost to equip them. Many have abilities that destroy them or unequip them when used. You may only have one equipment card equipped at a time.

A few other examples:
Simple Prayer: Costs: 1 Divinity Effect: Gains 5 Faith points

Library Research: Costs: 1 Mana Effect: Gain 5 spellbook pages.

Master’s Arcanum: Costs: 4 Mana Persists: This spell remains in play until it is dispelled. Effect: While Master’s Arcanum is in play, you gain 1 spellbook page per turn. Effect: Pay 1 mana and 1 colorless to gain 4 spellbook pages (usable once per turn).

Last Updated 6/25/2014

tigerusthegreat

Postby Werebiscuit » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:49 am

A few questions.
Are there the usual card positions eg deck- cards yet to be drawn, hand- drawn cards, in play- cards in effect and discard- cards no longer in effect ?

if so how many cards are allowed to be kept in hand and how many are allowed in play ? and are decks limited by size and are they stacked (pre-designed and then shuffled) or just random ?

A few suggestions too.

Since the players are avatars the in play cards can be in the usual paper-doll slots:- head, torso, left had, right,hand left leg right leg limiting the player to 6 "constant" effect slots. Spells would require a free casting hand though constant spells could occupy other slots eg head, once cast.

A Dragon avatar besides the usual 6 slots this avatar has an extra "tail" slot as his special.
Can't have a adventuring party without their most famous adversary

A backpack card -equipped on the torso. Once equipped it allows the player to hold an extra, lets say 4 cards in hand, allowing them a better selection.
Werebiscuit

Postby tigerusthegreat » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:16 am

tYes there are traditional card areas: the hand, the field, the energy reserve, Graveyard and exile (permanently out of play). Hand size i am thinking of capping at 10.

Decks are built by the player with a few restrictions (can have 4 of each card, deck must begin play with at least 60 cards.)

While i like your idea, i dont see it working in his. (and dragon is one of the villian cards the dm can play with)

Last Updated 6/25/2014

tigerusthegreat

Return to Your Games