True/False Mathamancy

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

True/False Mathamancy

Postby TokraZeno » Mon May 27, 2013 6:44 am

Is this unique to the bracer? Seems pretty powerful and could give answers to some serious questions.
TokraZeno

Re: True/False Mathamancy

Postby Doctor Foreman » Wed May 29, 2013 8:27 am

TokraZeno wrote:Is this unique to the bracer? Seems pretty powerful and could give answers to some serious questions.

I doubt the True/False format of learning something is unique to the bracer, but the way in which it can combine probability calculation with some kind of method of observing traits about the universe around it is probably quite unusual. Essentially what it tells us is that the bracer is either a mind of some sort, or it interacts with a mind-like construct - whether it be a native brain, Parson, or "Erfworld".

I wonder how much information golems/uncroaked are capable of perceiving, because the bracer may have a similar sort of "mind". But then, given how inanimate objects can react to mental commands (like Rulers upgrading a city), maybe we're dealing with an animist sort of world where everything is or has a "mind" to some extent.
"If you leave out important things or events that you know about, the story is strengthened. If you leave or skip something because you do not know it, the story will be worthless." - Hemingway
Doctor Foreman

Postby Intocabille_CZ » Thu May 30, 2013 7:29 am

Also to get some precise answers to complex questions I guess you would need to ask several true false questions. I think it was mentioned that the bracelet does the calculations almost effortlesly (so... no juice cost?). Other than that I have no idea how much juice would normal mathamancer expend to "calculate" to single true false.
Intocabille_CZ

Postby Doctor Foreman » Thu May 30, 2013 9:40 am

Intocabille_CZ wrote:Also to get some precise answers to complex questions I guess you would need to ask several true false questions. I think it was mentioned that the bracelet does the calculations almost effortlesly (so... no juice cost?). Other than that I have no idea how much juice would normal mathamancer expend to "calculate" to single true false.

(so... no juice cost?)

Does the watch have a limited battery life? That could mean bad things for the longevity of the bracer's usefulness... :(
"If you leave out important things or events that you know about, the story is strengthened. If you leave or skip something because you do not know it, the story will be worthless." - Hemingway
Doctor Foreman

Postby drachefly » Thu May 30, 2013 9:43 am

Intocabille_CZ wrote:... I have no idea how much juice would normal mathamancer expend to "calculate" to single true false.

Probably depends on the question.

"Does this large, complex Turing machine halt?" seems like it'd take more juice than "Does 1 = 1?"
drachefly

Postby Intocabille_CZ » Fri May 31, 2013 5:04 am

drachefly wrote:Probably depends on the question.

"Does this large, complex Turing machine halt?" seems like it'd take more juice than "Does 1 = 1?"

Yes, but how much more? Maybe even the simpler questions like how is our treasury going to look like next turn cost enough juice that they expend lvl 1 mathamancer completely. The thing is we don§t know if some complex mathamancy operations are not completely out of question due to juice requirements.
Intocabille_CZ

Postby ShieldOfAthena » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:17 am

Doctor Foreman wrote:
Intocabille_CZ wrote:Does the watch have a limited battery life? That could mean bad things for the longevity of the bracer's usefulness... :(
I'm going to call it now: start of turn maintenance (auto-cleaning, healing, etc.) charges the watch battery.
ShieldOfAthena
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Intocabille_CZ » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:18 am

ShieldOfAthena wrote:
Doctor Foreman wrote:
Intocabille_CZ wrote:Does the watch have a limited battery life? That could mean bad things for the longevity of the bracer's usefulness... :(
I'm going to call it now: start of turn maintenance (auto-cleaning, healing, etc.) charges the watch battery.

Did not write that but yeah, that is actually a really good way to ensure it keeps working.
Intocabille_CZ

Postby TokraZeno » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:08 am

Golem and uncroaked minds are an interesting topic and probably deserve their own topic, but this came to mind;
If a caster can tell what their creations are thinking, then does that mean that they have access to a predictamancy exploit? We've been told before about Intuition, so for a decent army of, let's say decrypted because they're closest to normal units, would wanda be able to pick up intuition from a stack or hex to determine if a battle plan is worthwhile? Nothing specific, but I'd imagine something like that would be close to Duncan's Laurel.
TokraZeno

Postby Shai_hulud » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:10 am

Doctor Foreman wrote:maybe we're dealing with an animist sort of world where everything is or has a "mind" to some extent.
Off topic but: How would we know reacting to thinkamancy means they think? We know thinkamancy uses g-strings, and we know that the material the Temple is made out of is polarized against g-string vibrations. Maybe there are materials that react to g-string vibrations as a normal part of the settings "physics." Would also explain why dittomancy can double leadership despite not using either Life or Motion magic. This leads me to an interesting question. Can you use "intuition" to guess what they're talking about in the temple, and if so, can you use full predictamany or mathamancy to gain information about what happens in the temple? Or does the temple "block" predictions too, like the sith clouding the future with the dark side of the force?
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Return to Everything Else Erfworld