Book 2 – Page 109

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Page 109

Postby multilis » Fri May 17, 2013 12:14 pm

Charlie's abilities to block thinkograms:

We don't know for sure he even has that. It is likely because of what he can do with the eyebooks, but alternative would be using an agent to go after Maggie in magic kingdom. (This may be the final surprise when everyone is heading for the exits) (If a Hippie can disable Jojo then one of Jojo's friends may also be able to disable Maggie)

If it is Charlie/dish blocking the thinkograms, then Maggie would likely know and Stanley would know when Maggie is able to contact him.

We also don't know if situation is limited to Maggie or whether all of the thinkomancers are unable to contact Stanley.

There is also still the option that Charlie did want capital moved, is pretending he strongly did not, as part of a more complicated plot, perhaps working with predictomancers but pretending to be their enemies.
multilis

Postby Kreistor » Fri May 17, 2013 1:13 pm

themysticalone wrote:Regardless, the comic uses 'flight' to describe the power of the hammer, so shouldn't we be starting with the definition of flight, rather than the definition of levitate?

I already cited that it uses "levitation" above, according to a description of Stanley putting himself on a chair. Can you cite from the comic that it has "flight"? Can you show a single instance of the hammer actually moving sideways, not one like the most recent where a nearby dwagon could provide the sideways motion?
http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/TBFGK_1 Here you can find all comic pages written as text for convenient quoting.

http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/Erfworld_Mechanics The starting page for accessing all known Erfworld "rules".
Kreistor

Postby effataigus » Fri May 17, 2013 1:27 pm

Kreistor wrote:I already cited that it uses "levitation" above, according to a description of Stanley putting himself on a chair. Can you cite from the comic that it has "flight"?

He could jump out his office window and fly, if he had the Arkenhammer.
You can't say this doesn't count because it is in a text update... because your example is too. As I and others pointed out, your example also requires lateral movement.
Last edited by effataigus on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:31 am, edited 239044 times in total.
effataigus

Postby spriteless » Fri May 17, 2013 3:33 pm

Guys guys guys. Whether it is levitate as in fly wherever or levitate as in go up and down or levitate as in the hammer has the power to telekinesis everything all the time and Stanley hasn't figured it out yet remains to be seen. The answer will not be found in analyzing the words themselves, but on whether the plot needs it to be one or the other.

If it would help the plot for him to be able to fly anywhere, but he doesn't because Dwagons are SO MUCH COOLER that's the way it will be. If it is necessary for Stanley to be able to go anywhere in a single hex's airspace that is what it will be. If it is necessary for Stanley to be trapped in a single spot, and a pike-man standing ready right under him can get stabs in as he flies up and down, then it will be so.

It is not defined yet on purpose. It gives Rob leeway in writing, until he wants one of those things to be true. Until the plot needs it one way or the other, it is in a state of quantum flux, to be retconjured in later.

Because, you see, Erfworld is fiction, and that happens.

Edit: Maybe the Predictamancer was scared because the scroll represented the really really REALLY hard way.
T'was a splendidly speedy defection.
spriteless

Postby Geordy » Fri May 17, 2013 4:21 pm

Im with spriteless here. I can totally live with Stanley overcoming the few inches from hovering outside the window onto his throne. I can totally accept him to be able to do that. On the other hand Im cool with people discussing this to death. What else is there to do between comics anyway? (than persuing bullshit-discussions, hehe)

Im wondering did anybody pick up on this? From http://www.erfworld.com/page/2/ :
For whatever reason, he really didn’t want to lose Hamster right now. The thought of it actually kinda...hurt. Scared him, even.

Who else thinks that Stanley is doing mighty heroic things - on behalf of someone else's magical influence? :D
Geordy

Postby MarbitChow » Fri May 17, 2013 4:47 pm

Geordy wrote:What else is there to do between comics anyway? (than persuing bullshit-discussions, hehe)
(SHAMELESS PLUG) Head to the "Your Games" forum and start or join a game. :D
MarbitChow

Postby erianaiel » Fri May 17, 2013 5:35 pm

Just because we have only seen Stanley use the hammer to go straight up or down does not mean that is the only thing he can do.
Defining the meaning of a word we used to suggest a rule out of inconclusive evidence is pointless. We can not know if we used the right word, so any argument about the meaing of that word are really useless.

If I remember correctly, during the ambush of Stanley Jillian said that 'with that hammer he can be anywhere in the hex'. If true that shows that Jillian at least believed that the hammer gave the flight ability and not merely the ability to hover around a bit.
erianaiel

Postby captain action » Fri May 17, 2013 11:26 pm

Brucester wrote:Heisman?

Perhaps this is some foreshadowing involving Heavy Infantry special movement rules? (think overrunning or bull rushing)
captain action

Postby Oberon » Sat May 18, 2013 1:18 am

Kreistor wrote:I already cited that it uses "levitation" above, according to a description of Stanley putting himself on a chair. Can you cite from the comic that it has "flight"? Can you show a single instance of the hammer actually moving sideways, not one like the most recent where a nearby dwagon could provide the sideways motion?
We know he was outside the window, and then was inside the window. You can assume that the purple gave him the lateral motion, but that's inventing something that isn't shown. There's no dwagon shown in the last panel, so deciding that a dwagon gave Stanley his lateral motion through the broken window and into his chair is unsupported by the comic.
How using capslock wins arguments:
Zeroberon wrote:So we know with 100% certainty that THIS IS HOW TRI-LINKS WORK, PERIOD END OF STORY.
Oberon

Postby alowe » Sat May 18, 2013 7:40 am

Bit confused...

In the last pic of page 109, Stanley is still outside and the view is from inside to outside, but there's a throne floating directly behind him.

What does that mean?
alowe

Postby Denar » Sat May 18, 2013 7:49 am

alowe wrote:Bit confused...

In the last pic of page 109, Stanley is still outside and the view is from inside to outside, but there's a throne floating directly behind him.

What does that mean?

I was really confused by what you could mean, but I think I see what your problem is - that grey "slab" in front of him in the last panel isn't the ledge - it's his desk. He flew in through the smashed window and sat down on his throne, which has its back to the broken window and the desk in front of it.
Denar

Postby Geordy » Sat May 18, 2013 8:51 am

Just to quote myself a little bit:
Geordy wrote:Im wondering did anybody pick up on this? From http://www.erfworld.com/page/2/ :
For whatever reason, he really didn’t want to lose Hamster right now. The thought of it actually kinda...hurt. Scared him, even.

Im spelling it out for you: Stanley is being mindcontrolled into switching the capital. Could (still) be Maggie, could be Charlie or an unknown third party. Point being having Spacerock becoming the GK capital is someone else's goal entirely.
Geordy

Postby Shai_hulud » Sat May 18, 2013 2:26 pm

Yeah, a bunch of people also mentioned that too. Remains to be seen. Seems a bit Chekhov's gun and all.
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby j_t » Sun May 19, 2013 6:14 pm

Oberon wrote:We know he was outside the window, and then was inside the window. You can assume that the purple gave him the lateral motion, but that's inventing something that isn't shown. There's no dwagon shown in the last panel, so deciding that a dwagon gave Stanley his lateral motion through the broken window and into his chair is unsupported by the comic.

Huh?

He was outside the window, which was intact.
He called for a purple, which shattered the window.
Then he went (or possibly was pushed by the sonic) inside the window.

Personally I think that he needed the dwagon solely to break the window, but is it really important?
j_t
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby Oberon » Sun May 19, 2013 8:34 pm

Geordy wrote:Just to quote my bullshit theory a little bit:

Im spelling it out for you: Stanley is being mindcontrolled into switching the capital. Could (still) be Maggie, could be Charlie or an unknown third party. Point being having Spacerock becoming the GK capital is someone else's goal entirely.
Fixed that for you. Marked it with bolds and underlines in case you're too lost in the epileptic forest to see it.

j_t wrote:Huh?

He was outside the window, which was intact.
He called for a purple, which shattered the window.
Then he went (or possibly was pushed by the sonic) inside the window.

Personally I think that he needed the dwagon solely to break the window, but is it really important?
Well, it's difficult for me to understand the 'Huh?' when what follows it is reasonable except for the parenthetical. Sonic blasts from purples have never been shown to do anything other than damage people and structures. So assuming that without evidence is foolish. Just as Kreistor assuming that the purple flew him into the room and managed to vanish before Stanley's little butt was even firmy in his seat is foolish.
How using capslock wins arguments:
Zeroberon wrote:So we know with 100% certainty that THIS IS HOW TRI-LINKS WORK, PERIOD END OF STORY.
Oberon

Postby alowe » Mon May 20, 2013 9:24 am

Denar wrote:
alowe wrote:Bit confused...

What does that mean?

I was really confused by what you could mean, but I think I see what your problem is - that grey "slab" in front of him in the last panel isn't the ledge - it's his desk. He flew in through the smashed window and sat down on his throne, which has its back to the broken window and the desk in front of it.

Duh! Now I see. I think I was thrown (parden the pun) by how very close the throne is to the window, but you can see this in the image before. My eye just mistook the back of the throne in the image before as part of the wall decorations.

Gettin old y-see :|
alowe

Previous

Return to Reactions