Sweeping Dwagon

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

Sweeping Dwagon

Postby LTDave » Fri May 10, 2013 12:41 am

A plains hex. Noon. A crowd. Different races, different languages.
No sides.
All “Barbarians.”
Or perhaps more politely, “Mercenaries.”

A man on a sawhorse. Well dressed. Dark hair. Grey eyes. Level… 6?

“Listen up. For those who do not know, I am Balen. Not Sir, not Lord, not Master, not General. Just Balen.”

“I have been contracted to complete a mission. I require soldiers. I am being paid well, and I intend to pay. Well.”

“This will not be an easy task – some will not survive. But the rewards are… generous.”

“I will pay 400 smuckers per head. Half in advance, half on completion. There will be… incidental rewards, in the if and when.”

“This job must be done well. It is not a task for hack and smash. Each stack will need a healer and a scout. A caster might come in handy, but will not be necessary. If you are interested, form your stacks and come forward. If you are not interested, leave the hex… now. Leave to the South, or you will be cwoaked, as normal.”

This is Sweeping Dwagon, a play-by-post eRfPG. Those interested in signing up, design your character as below, and introduce yourself to the stack.

Spoiler: show
Design
Player Name:
Character Name:
Attributes – Divide 10 points between the four attributes. Each attribute must be given between one and four points.
STRENGTH (STR)
INTELLECT (INT)
DEXTERITY (DEX)
SPIRIT (SPT)

Training and Skills
Choose one of the following skill to be TRAINED in, and two to be FAMILIAR with.
Agility (e.g. Climb, Leap, Swim)
Craft (e.g. Make, Repair)
Fighting (e.g. Kill, Maim)
Knowledge (e.g. Lore, Memory, Magic)
Perception (e.g. Spot, Hear, Smell)
Persuasion (e.g. Charm, Con)
Shooting (e.g. Ranged, Sniper)
Speed (e.g. Run, React)
Stealth (e.g. Sneak, Hide, Stalk)
Toughness (e.g. Grit, Courage)

Choose your Race (others by negotiation):
Human
Elf
Twoll
Marbit

Profession:
Warrior
Caster
Scout
Healer
Wildman

Your Story: How did your character come to be in this hex this turn?

All adventurers begin with a set of suitable clothes, a Hooded Cloak & a backpack containing: a Bedroll, Rope (30’), Flint & Steel, Knife, Flask of Oil, Lantern , Sack, Three Sea Shells, & Water Flask.

You may choose up to three items from the following list: Belt Pouch, Chalk, Chisels, Crowbar, Grapnel, Hammer, Rope Ladder (10’) Small Mirror, Pick, Pole (8’), Pot of Grease, Spade, Iron Spikes (x6), Tent, Writing Set, Potion of Healing (Healer Only).

Casters may choose 3 of the following spells:
Befriend, Befuddle, Blind, Countermagic, Daze, Detect Enemy, Detect Magic, Dodge, Dragon Scale, Enchant Weapon, Fire Bolt, Float, Haste, Ignite, Invisibility, Lock and Bar, Open Says I, Teleport, Terrify.

“There will be many stacks engaged in this operation, but working separately. I alone know the entire plan, but you will be told what you need to know.”

“If you are new to this game, know this: I am Balen. I do not fail. I do not care how you came to be here – whether you popped as a Bandit in a marsh hex, or if your ruler was captured and your side ended, or if you just ran away in the heat of battle. I do not care where you go from here. I do care that you do the job I pay you to do.”

Last edited by LTDave on Tue May 14, 2013 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
LTDave

Re: Sweeping Dwagon

Postby Werebiscuit » Fri May 10, 2013 6:39 am

Arrrgh..... curse you LTDave... there goes my free time.
Werebiscuit

Postby ETheBoyce » Fri May 10, 2013 7:47 pm

A somewhat bedraggled man is the first to speak up, "I am Shack...Doctor Shack....Doctor Love Shack in full and I will be patching you all back together if you fail to dodge arrows and parry blows. Frankly I find it all rather monotonous so the less I have to do the better for all involved. That said I hope you all know the better part of valor because I am no Croakamancer so I can't help a corpse." Love Shack then steps back to let the next hapless mercenary say his bit

Player: ETheBoyce
Character: Shack
Race: Human
Profession: Healer

Attributes:
Strength 2
Intellect 3
Dexterity 2
Spirit 3

Skills:
Craft- Trained
Knowledge- Familiar
Persuasion- Familiar

Items: Clothing
Hooded Cloak
Backpack
Bedroll
Rope (30’)
Flint & Steel
Knife
Flask of Oil
Lantern
Sack
Three Sea Shells
Water Flask
Tent
Writing Set
Potion of Healing
ETheBoyce
YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby WhirdCheese » Sat May 11, 2013 12:56 am

Wildthwing's name Wildthwing. Wildthwing good at hitting things" Wildthwing then steps back as well sitting down cross-legged. Very pleased with himself for talking in front of a large group.

Name: Wild thwing
Str: 4
Int: 1 (-4)
Dex: 3
Spt: 2
Trained: Fighting
Familiar: Speed, Toughness
Race: Twoll
Class:WildTwoll
Story: Wildthwing the 111th twoll to be popped to the tribe of Notinspired, was also the last. It took three turns to pop a new one working on maximum efficiency. Wildthwing was sent to scout but didn't quite understand the come back bit. Two turns after he left Notinspired was wiped out by a force he saw on his second turn. He's been walking in a straight line since then foraging for upkeep. By sheer (dumb) luck he found himself in this hex.

Extra items: Hammer, pick, grapnel
WhirdCheese

Postby LTDave » Sat May 11, 2013 6:31 am

A Warrior Elf walks past the group, counting. She stops and looks at the stack.

"A human healer and a wild twoll. This stack needs a scout and some warriors."

"Come on, we don't have all turn. Didn't you hear what Balen said? 400 schmuckers? That's enough to pay your upkeep for a lot of turns..."

"I'll be back in a little while - hopefully you'll have your stack together."
LTDave

Postby MarbitChow » Sat May 11, 2013 5:36 pm

("Love Shack" and "Wild Thing"? Seems like there's a song motif amongst the characters. I won't be the one to break it...)

A feeble cloaked figure shambles forward. The signamancy of many turns is upon him. "Hey now. Corrosion, I am known as. Hey now, now, Singthis Corrision is me, in truth, but in the heat of battle I respond best to simply 'Sing'. My side, once led by the dread sisters of Merci, is long vanished. As interesting as the Magic Kingdom can be, one must, from time to time, venture forth to see the world. Your lord said 'Do you hear me call?' and I responded. That sums it up; I got nothing to say I ain't said before."

Player Name: MarbitChow
Character Name: Singthis Corrosion
Attributes – Divide 10 points between the four attributes. Each attribute must be given between one and four points.
STR 1
INT 4
DEX 1
SPT 4

Training and Skills
TRAINED: Knowledge
FAMILIAR: Craft
FAMILIAR: Perception

Choose your Race (others by negotiation): Elf
Profession: Caster
Spells: Fire Bolt, Invisibility, Teleport
MarbitChow

Postby Werebiscuit » Sat May 11, 2013 6:09 pm

"Personally I'd have thought an elf to have better eyes" says a squat, plain-looking girl, drawing the eyes of crowd to her. "You already have a scout" she smiles a gap-toothed smile "though you may not have noticed, as I am not very forthcoming. Which is a commendable trait for a scout, no ?
My name is Adreena and that is all you will know of me till I wish it further. I am quick to judge and slow to trust and my reasons for joining are my own
" she stares at Belar as if defying him to have some sort of rebuke."But 200 schmuckers is enough to buy my vision and assessment for your quest provided I am not expected to lead the charge." gives a short humourless laugh " I'll leave that to our more unobservant stack members. Especially the ones who do not remember names"
This observation seems to please her.
    Player name : Werebiscuit
    Character name : Adreena
    STRENGTH (STR) 1
    INTELLECT (INT) 3
    DEXTERITY (DEX) 4
    SPIRIT (SPT) 2

TRAINED : shooting
    FAMILIAR: Perception Stealth
    Race : Human
    Profession: Scout

Posessions : a set of suitable clothes, a Hooded Cloak & a backpack containing: a Bedroll, Rope (30’), Flint & Steel, Knife, Flask of Oil, Lantern , Sack, Mirror, Pot of grease, Spade, Three Sea Shells, & Water Flask.
Werebiscuit

Postby WhirdCheese » Sat May 11, 2013 6:57 pm

Quick ooc post. How is a Wildman different from a warrior? Are Wildman wearer but forest capable? Berserkers. Depending on your response I may change to warrior.
WhirdCheese

Postby LTDave » Sat May 11, 2013 11:51 pm

Wilders are tougher, and have survival skills. Warriors are more effective in striking at enemies...
LTDave

Postby LTDave » Sun May 12, 2013 7:28 am

[MarbitChow, you have not selected your extra three pieces of kit]

The Warrior Elf wanders back past the stack.

"Good, good. Getting better. Just a Warrior or two to complete this stack."

"My name's Jax, by the way. I work for Balen. I'll be in charge of transport for your stack, and a few others. Once the stack is complete, I'll arrange for you all to recieve your advance, then we'll head into Rossia."
LTDave

Postby MarbitChow » Sun May 12, 2013 9:39 am

Chalk, Small Mirror, Writing Set
MarbitChow

Postby Swodaems » Sun May 12, 2013 11:54 am

Player Name: Swodaems
Character Name: Craven
STR 3
INT 2
DEX 4
SPT 1

Marbit Warrior

Trained Agility
Familiar Fighting
Familiar Speed

Crowbar, Pole (8'), Iron Spikes (x6)

Craven was popped by a tribe of wild marbits that lived off their ancestral land. When a nearby side decided that they wanted that land, Craven ran away from the battle instead of trying to fight a battle he thought could not be won. Since then. he has been surviving off whatever he could forage. He has often survived encounters with wild animals and enemy soldiers by using his small size, speed, agility, and dexterity to get out of reach of his foes thru various means. He saw this meeting while passing by and decided to join in.

When it is Craven's turn to talk, he merely stands up, states "My name is Craven", and sits back down.
Swodaems

Postby LTDave » Mon May 13, 2013 1:07 am

Jax looks at the stack, then at a list in her hand. "Alright, you'll do. If I get some late arrivals, I'll add them into this stack. I'm designating you stack Seven. Head on up to Balen and collect your bounty and sign the muster book."

The stack moves up to where Balen is standing. He gives the group a quick glance, then looks over at Jax, who nods. "All set. A good group of tough nuts."

Balen raises an eyebrown, then gestures to a small desk with a Marbit clerk. "Sign up. You work for me now."
As each of you sign the book, you are given a small bag of coins. 200 Schmuckers.

Character Stats
Please review the Stats as listed, and query anything I've clearly gotten wrong. The skills are your chance of succeeding on a d20 roll (roll target or less is success).

Name: Shack [ETheBoyce]
Race: Human Profession: Healer
STR 2 DEX 2 INT 3 SPT 4
Agility 3 Craft 6 Fighting 3 Knowledge 6 Perception 6
Persuasion 10 Shooting 4 Speed 3 Stealth 5 Toughness 5

Weapons: Mace, 3 Hunting Spears
Armour: Light Armour
Special: Healer. Once per phase, a Healer can touch a wounded Character to restore to full health, or a "KO'd" character to restore to wounded. Cwoaked is another matter…
Other Kit: Clothing, Hooded Cloak, Backpack, Bedroll, Rope (30’), Flint & Steel, Knife, Flask of Oil, Lantern, Sack, Three Sea Shells, Water Flask, Tent, Writing Set, Potion of Healing.
Funds in hand: 200

Name: Wildthwing [WhirdCheese]
Race: Twoll Profession: Wilder
STR 5 DEX 3 INT 1 SPT 2
Agility 5 Craft 3 Fighting 9 Knowledge 1 Perception 2
Persuasion 3 Shooting 3 Speed 8 Stealth 4 Toughness 9

Weapons: Battle Axe, Crossbow (16 bolts)
Armour: Light Armour
Special: Survival. A Wilder can use their perception skill to track animals and enemies, as well as find food and water.
Other Kit: Clothing, Hooded Cloak, Backpack, Bedroll, Rope (30’), Flint & Steel, Knife, Flask of Oil, Lantern, Sack, Three Sea Shells, Water Flask, Hammer, Pick, Grapnel.

Name: Singthis Corrosion [MarbitChow]
Race: Elf Profession: Caster
STR 1 DEX 1 INT 5 SPT 4
Agility 1 Craft 6 Fighting 1 Knowledge 13 Perception 9
Persuasion 7 Shooting 5 Speed 1 Stealth 4 Toughness 4

Weapons: Staff, Pointy Hat, Spellbook, Longbow (12 arrows)
Spells: Fire Bolt: If a Caster makes a Shooting check this automatically casuses a wound - Range 30'; Invisibility: Caster cannot be seen for 3 phases unless he attacks an enemy or casts a spell; Teleport: Caster disappears and reappears at any point he can see within 60'.
Armour: None
Other Kit: Clothing, Hooded Cloak, Backpack, Bedroll, Rope (30’), Flint & Steel, Knife, Flask of Oil, Lantern, Sack, Three Sea Shells, Water Flask, Chalk, Small Mirror, Writing Set.

Name: Adreena [Werebiscuit]
Race: Human Profession: Scout
STR 1 DEX 4 INT 3 SPT 3
Agility 7 Craft 8 Fighting 4 Knowledge 5 Perception 6
Persuasion 5 Shooting 8 Speed 4 Stealth 9 Toughness 3

Weapons: Dagger, 3 Hunting Spears
Armour: None
Special: Infiltration: A Scout can try to open locked doors using their craft skill.
Other Kit: Clothing, Hooded Cloak, Backpack, Bedroll, Rope (30’), Flint & Steel, Knife, Flask of Oil, Lantern, Sack, Three Sea Shells, Water Flask, Lockpicks, Mirror, Pot of Grease, Spade.

Name: Craven [Swodaems]
Race: Marbit Profession: Warrior
STR 3 DEX 5 INT 2 SPT 1
Agility 11 Craft 6 Fighting 10 Knowledge 3 Perception 2
Persuasion 1 Shooting 6 Speed 8 Stealth 5 Toughness 3

Weapons: Sword, Sling (20 bullets)
Armour: Light Armour, Light Shield.
Special: A Warrior can attack twice in a phase, if he has not moved, against any adjacent enemy.
Other Kit: Clothing, Hooded Cloak, Backpack, Bedroll, Rope (30’), Flint & Steel, Knife, Flask of Oil, Lantern, Sack, Three Sea Shells, Water Flask, Crowbar, Pole (8'), Iron Spikes (x6)

After taking the coin bag, the stack are lined up in front of a mid-level look-a-mancer, who examines each face carefully before moving on. When this is complete, he nods to Jax, who steps forward to speak.

"Good. You've signed up, and gotten your bounty. Time to move out. We don't want this whole thing to be very obvious, so we deploy from a variety of locations. Stacks 6, 7, and 8 are to meet me at the start of the next turn at the Docks in Rossia. That's three hexes North-East of here. Some of you have been there before, for others, you've never seen a city hex. Rossia is a free city, which means that any unit from any side, or indeed no side, can enter. Just don't try to get into the Garrison Zone - Larry King doesn't like that. There are markets, inns, training sites - all sorts of places. Enjoy yourselves, but be careful. Rossia is not always a safe place."

"I will meet you at the start of the turn at the Docks. Stick together. You are a stack now. There are bonuses to stacking."
Last edited by LTDave on Mon May 13, 2013 6:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
LTDave

Postby LTDave » Mon May 13, 2013 1:26 am

Rossia is bustling level two city by a small inland sea. Surrounded with fields and light forests, it is dominated by the Garrison Tower, apparently the only part of the city to ever be upgraded. The city walls are rudimentary at best and theoretical at worst. Creatures of every kind have gathered here over the turns, and almost every side is represented - either by deserters or fugitives.

Your stack enters the city hex, and are immediately overwhelmed by choices. For example, a single schmucker will buy you:

1. A night in an Inn, with a dinner & breakfast.
2. A ride on a wagon between villages.
3. Any common item that took no more than one turn to make (i.e. a haversack, 30’ rope, knife, six candles, large wicker basket, a plain cloak, a copper cloak pin, a horse bridle, a woollen shirt, four arrows).
4. Companionship for an hour.
5. Stabling for your horse for a day & a night.
6. An afternoon in a public bath house.
7. A porter or labourer for half a day (note that porters charge for both ways if they have to travel away from their community)..
8. A bribe to a City Guard for a minor matter.
9. A pitcher of decent beer.
10. A letter written for you by a scribe.

There are also shops of all kinds, with the most prominent being "Staeve's Armourisms"
Weapon
Cost
Dagger
Sword
Axe, Mace or Warhammer
Spear
Great Sword
Great Axe
Bow
12 Arrows
Crossbow
10 Quarrels
Armour
Cost
Shield
Light: Padded or Leather
Medium: Chain or Scale Mail
Heavy: Plate & Mail
Very Heavy: Full Plate

You can also go to various establishments to improve your skills:
500 Schmuckers improves an Attibute by +1
100 Schmuckers improves a Skill's training level by +1
200 Schmuckers allows a Caster to buy a new spell to add to his spellbook...

What would you like to do?
(If you decided not to go to Rossia, that's an option as well)
LTDave

Postby Werebiscuit » Mon May 13, 2013 4:57 am

Adreena will use the travel time to cut a deep notch in the base of her hunting spears such that they will fit an atatl (throwing stick) or perhaps even hold a mirror securely so that it can be poked round corners. She will be resistant to any questions about what she is doing telling the questioner to "Bide your time and use your eyes. In doing so you will learn much." She will also attempt to forage a suitable stick from the trail.
If we have an overnight stop Adreena suggests a game of chance, she will make small wagers, never more than 2 schmuckers and will stop playing if she loses 20 schmuckers or wins 50 if anyone takes her up on the offer.
Once in the city, dismayed at the cost of a crossbow she will try to persuade Wildthing to part with his crossbow offering a shield in exchange. ( she will pruchase a shield and the softest set of leather armour she can find.)

OOC LTDave, Did you exchange her shovel for a set of lockpicks ? Whird if you want to RP out the persuasion I've no objections. I'm not really wanting to force you into a die roll on a weak skill.
Werebiscuit

Postby LTDave » Mon May 13, 2013 6:04 am

Werebiscuit wrote:OOC LTDave, Did you exchange her shovel for a set of lockpicks ?

Sorry - she had two water flasks by mistake. Fixed now.
LTDave

Postby ETheBoyce » Mon May 13, 2013 10:54 am

My Craft and Knowledge seem to be equal though I had Craft as trained and Knowledge/Persuasion as Familiar <_<
ETheBoyce

Postby Werebiscuit » Mon May 13, 2013 11:19 am

ETheBoyce wrote:My Craft and Knowledge seem to be equal though I had Craft as trained and Knowledge/Persuasion as Familiar <_<

look at other peoples choices
Adreena's stealth is higher than her perception or shooting even though she had her shooting as trained. Her perception and stealth were both familiar but generated different results (6 & 9 respectively). I suspect it is a function of stats and profession, possibly race too.
Werebiscuit

Postby WhirdCheese » Mon May 13, 2013 2:24 pm

"Wildthwing doesn't shoot things. Wildthwing hit them. Wildthwing would like a shield though."

Wildthwing hands over his crossbow and then trains his perception.
WhirdCheese

Postby Swodaems » Mon May 13, 2013 3:01 pm

I think the bonuses to our 4 base stats are all tied to race.

Our twoll got +1 STR.
Our 2 humans both got +1 SPT.
Our elf got +1 INT.
Our Marbit got +1 DEX.

I can't tell much about the relations between skills and stats/profession/race, but I do not believe we have accomplished proper minmaxing. At least we can ask the caster about anything.

"Meet at the start of the turn" means we probably do have to spend the night in the city. A city in which we can bribe guards for just one schmucker. We should probably pay for a night in a good inn if we don't want to be robbed blind. We might also want to use the chance to gain some money on the side.

As Craven walks towards the city with the others, he takes the opportunity to practice pole-vaulting.
Swodaems

Next

Return to Your Games