Book 2 - Text Updates 058

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 - Text Updates 058

Postby Whispri » Tue May 07, 2013 1:34 am

Chit Rule Railroad wrote:

Just noticed something in that update: "The big desk was covered in maps and paper reports. The reports had all come in by magic hat. They were not using the Eyebooks for any military intelligence, on Parson and Maggie's joint recommendation."

Hats? Say what? Where are they, who has them?

Looks like some retconjuration is in order.

Wanda had a lot of hats in her saddlebags iirc.
Whispri
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Sixty » Tue May 07, 2013 1:47 am

Urf wrote:I see this update as semi-confirmation of Parson's status as a Hippiemancer. Parson has been using Charm all this time with no juice cost.

"Hippiemancy is the magic of relationships: detecting and altering the forces of opposition and attraction which bind people or units."

Being likable could just be natural hippiemancy.

Also, another reference to "Sometimes its the little things that make a difference" phrase that gets used once in a while. Arc words man, arc words. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ArcWords
Sixty
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Jabberwocky » Tue May 07, 2013 1:56 am

You know, I like this update for the light it shines on Stanley's tiny, shriveled heart. Having the Tool actually go out on a limb for Parson would be an interesting development in their relationship.
Jabberwocky

Postby QuothTheRaven » Tue May 07, 2013 2:30 am

Hey, big Titan. I just wanted to say that I have loved every word of Erfworld since you launched it on GitP back in the day. It's the first webcomic I've ever been able to follow from the start, and it makes me want to improve my writing too. This update made me realize, though, that the biggest (and most pleasant) surprise is how you've handled character development. All the characters have changed and grown in ways that most arc-based webcomics never begin to approach, and Stanley's development over the years has been the best example. Speaking as a(n amateurish, non-published) writer, it has been a blast to read this comic, learn from it, and watch it continue to improve and grow. Thanks dude!

Also, come to Colorado some time :) We have our own Comic-Con and everything!
QuothTheRaven

Postby youngstormlord » Tue May 07, 2013 2:34 am

There are many things about portals to Magic Kingdom we don't know yet but might be important. Most of them are questions about units.

1) Can stuffamancy units (aka crap and cloth golems/dolls/tchotckes) move through the portal with the caster that made them? What about uncroaked?

2) Is there anything preventing dollamancers/dirtamancers (even turnamancers) from making units right there in the Magic Kingdom? Imagine Sizemore mining some heavy metal under MK and turning it into Heavy Metal golem. Or dollamancer making Dire Bears/Dolls/Strawmen in the MK. We have actually seen casters spend juice to make items (hell, Sizemore made a big-arse-tunnel right then and there), mostly scrolls, so is there some mechanic or agreed-upon rule that prevents casters from making units in Magic Kingdom? And, if there is, is it a hard-coded rule of Erfworld or just something casters have agreed not to do?

3) Can archons move through portals and into the Magic Kingdom? They are flying, knight-type units that can use juice and cast spells. Can every unit that can use juice be considered a caster for the purpose of letting them through the portal?

4) Relating to questions 1 and 2, what about Decrypted? And what about Decrypted casters?

5) Can you move the dead body through the portal? You can carry objects in and out (we have seen gems, food, clothes, scrolls and Pliers themselves entering and leaving MK) but what is the rule about dead bodies? Can you throw Jack's dead body through the portal and have Wanda Decrypt him? Will resultant Decrypted Jack be able to leave Magic Kingdom, ever?

So many questions that probably not even Charlie knows answers to.

What if Decrypted can move through portal and right there into MK? What if Dolls/Golems can do the same? Can Decrypted dwagons enter MK? Now it seems more clear why would the whole MK hate and fear Wanda, if all that is true. She is breaking all the portal rules just by existing. Imagine Wanda croaking a caster then Decrypting it right there in MK. Then two of them croaking two casters and decrypting them. Hell, she doesn't even have to do it herself. Just throw a bunch of dead bodies through the portal, send Wanda with Pliers and have a growing army on the other side.
Don't click on this link, you might feel cheated if you do.
Hint:
Spoiler: show
It's my fanfiction. :)

My erf PC game (first test version): Jack Attack Update: Gone after fall of megaupload. Update2: Uploaded again on another hosting. Give it a go.
youngstormlord
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby Lipkin » Tue May 07, 2013 2:57 am

Cloth golems and decrypted dwagons can not go through portals, for the very simple reason that they would not fit.
Lipkin

Postby Azukar » Tue May 07, 2013 3:30 am

Suspicious update is suspicious...

I dunno, something about that conversation seems... off... I got the impression Stanley was getting some kind of Suggestion there, somehow. The idea takes hold in his brain then grows until he basically changes his mind? Suspicious... :?:
---

-Az
Azukar

Postby Lipkin » Tue May 07, 2013 4:07 am

Oh please. Anytime there is an update people suspect something is suspicious. As far as we know, suggestions have to be cast in person. Maggie could only cast suggestion on Stanley because he gave permission. I know people are thinking arkendish, or tri-caster link of three thinkamancers, but come on. Charlie wouldn't want Stanley to come around, and Maggie pulling the same trick twice would be weak. Text updates usually are less impactful than fully illustrated ones. It's filler. Intriguing, well written, filler.
Lipkin

Postby peteratjet » Tue May 07, 2013 6:03 am

C'mon Stanley, do it.

Dooooooo Eeeeeet

Meanwhile, back in the Magic Kingdom ....

... presumably, if/when Stanley switches capitals, it will be the GK portal that links to Spacerock, not the Jetstone portal, where the magical mexican standoff was going on. Wanda and Sizemore will have to hotfoot it back to the GK portal sharpish if they want to go through, but they may not know that. Since Stanley gave Maggie an order to contact him, she's probably already en-route, given that Charlie is blocking comms so she has to do it in person (which, ok, assumes he can't block natural ruler comms)

So, my prediction is ...

Maggie comes through just before Stanley does the switch. Wanda and Sizemore come through just after, hustled by a posse of unfriendly casters, not necessarily realising what's going on until they emerge in the middle of an inferno. Then Sizemore levels up (huzzah :) ), and Wanda finally gets to decrypt Jack (err.. :roll: )
peteratjet

Postby Doctor Foreman » Tue May 07, 2013 7:20 am

Azukar wrote:Suspicious update is suspicious...

I dunno, something about that conversation seems... off... I got the impression Stanley was getting some kind of Suggestion there, somehow. The idea takes hold in his brain then grows until he basically changes his mind? Suspicious... :?:

Not all suggestions are Suggestions.

Urf wrote:I see this update as semi-confirmation of Parson's status as a Hippiemancer. Parson has been using Charm all this time with no juice cost.

"Hippiemancy is the magic of relationships: detecting and altering the forces of opposition and attraction which bind people or units."

Using "charm" without juice just as easily supports the notion that Parson has no juice - i.e. is not a caster.

And "detecting and altering the forces of opposition and attraction which bind people or units" is something everyone does in Erfworld all the time, and the people who do it aren't casters. What makes it Hippiemancy is when magic is involved. It's probably just natural Hippiemancy governing all unit relationships. Just because a Ruler can order a unit to do something from hexes away doesn't mean either is a Thinkamancer.
"If you leave out important things or events that you know about, the story is strengthened. If you leave or skip something because you do not know it, the story will be worthless." - Hemingway
Doctor Foreman

Postby drachefly » Tue May 07, 2013 7:45 am

He's thinking about using the stairs, while he's holding an arkentool that lets him fly. And Zhopa is talking about help? I hope it's throwing.
drachefly

Postby multilis » Tue May 07, 2013 7:56 am

drachefly wrote: while he's holding an arkentool that lets him fly...

I think unknown if hammer lets him fly. Jack's illusion version let him fly, first reaction of enemy was to search around the "dead" dragon on ground in case they had dropped, the suggestion was must units do not know what a tool can do and thus cover both options. Jill was trying to croak Stanley's dragon and probably assuming Jack (and probably Stanley) would drop rather than fly up as result.
multilis

Postby multilis » Tue May 07, 2013 8:04 am

Doctor Foreman wrote:What makes it Hippiemancy is when magic is involved....Just because a Ruler can order a unit to do something from hexes away doesn't mean either is a Thinkamancer.

My guess is each specialty has an advantage in natural skills in their specialty... Wanda can better sense bodies including living ones, Sizemore has more natural sense of earth, Jack had better sense of what things really were and how people fool themselves. Olive seemed to be very good at using natural/non magical charm against enemies.
multilis

Postby Morni » Tue May 07, 2013 8:05 am

My prediction would be more along the line of this sentence.

If Hamster bit it now, he’d never get the chance to mentor him, maybe even groom him for his own side someday.

Every day is someday right?

My prediction in the spoiler tag

Stanley is not going to switch the capital. He's going to give Parson a side with a capital site.
Morni

Postby Zeku » Tue May 07, 2013 8:12 am

I glanced through the previous posts and you guys almost got it right

The hint is repeated several times

Maggie is contwolling the situation
Zeku

Postby slb » Tue May 07, 2013 8:40 am

Zeku wrote:I glanced through the previous posts and you guys almost got it right
The hint is repeated several times
Maggie is contwolling the situation

That makes no sense, if Maggie had comm capability, she would be trying to convince Stanley, not use Zopa as a proxy.

So sure, the twoll shows a bit more intellect than usual but it's more likely an acceptable improvement du to his new role than Maggie pulling the strings.

Obviously Charlie is blocking all the comms from GK,
slb

Postby pearl jam » Tue May 07, 2013 8:51 am

multilis wrote:
drachefly wrote: while he's holding an arkentool that lets him fly...

I think unknown if hammer lets him fly. Jack's illusion version let him fly, first reaction of enemy was to search around the "dead" dragon on ground in case they had dropped, the suggestion was must units do not know what a tool can do and thus cover both options. Jill was trying to croak Stanley's dragon and probably assuming Jack (and probably Stanley) would drop rather than fly up as result.

At the beginning of this update it refers to the fact that Stanley doesn't fear heights for a variety of reasons, one of which includes the fact that he could jump out the window and fly, if he had the Arkenhammer.

I don't often post, but I just wanted to say that I enjoyed this update quite a lot.
pearl jam

Postby Witchalok » Tue May 07, 2013 9:40 am

I just wanted to say that I believe that we get to see first hand how Fate can influence the outcome of things.
Fate doesn't want Parson to croak just yet, and the easiest way for him to avoid this is with the capital change.
So Stanley and perhaps the twoll as well are starting to have thoughts they might otherwise not have, simply because Fate wants them to act in a certain manner.

However, although I don't like this idea as much, it's also possible that the TGMTTA are trying to put a suggestion on Parson. The only reason I give this theory credit is because I believe it would really ruin the mood of the story if Fate has so much power over individuals as to affect even their thinking processes to such a degree. And a lot of emphasis has been put on free will so far.
Or perhaps, Fate has its back against the wall and it trying out some really desperate measures.
Those who mess with the Dark Bull of Gael'Thoth shall be pierced by their blackhorns.
Witchalok

Postby Aquillion » Tue May 07, 2013 9:40 am

MadZuri wrote:
maybe even groom him for his own side someday
Ha! I knew it! Stanley plans on Parson forming his own side one day.
It makes logical sense from Stanley's perspective, especially if (and this is a big if) the Warlord spell will continue to make Parson obey him even after that. Remember, there's huge disadvantages to making a side too big; having a friendly (or, even better, magically-compelled) overlord for an allied side helps a lot.

If Stanley believes the Warlord spell will work that way, then it's remarkably sharp thinking coming from him.
Aquillion

Postby effataigus » Tue May 07, 2013 9:48 am

Yep... tis a fun text update. Thanks!

My question is where does Charlie's predictamancy end? I'm of the opinion that he had some help figuring out that Parson would go through the portals to Spacerock and that the city would end up on fire. Alternately, he's just a genius in predicting things. Either way, you have to wonder at what point team GK will stop doing things that he has already predicted and prepared for. There's no reason I see for that point to be between the Jojo updates and now.

I love that Stanley thinks in the same lingo that many of us forumites write with.
Last edited by effataigus on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:31 am, edited 239044 times in total.
effataigus

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions