Book 2 – Page 108

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Page 108

Postby Beeskee » Sun May 05, 2013 1:04 am

Lipkin wrote:I doubt Stanley even knew Bogroll's name.

Of course he did. It's "Bunghole." :D
Beeskee

Postby drachefly » Sun May 05, 2013 10:19 am

Doctor Foreman wrote:I could accept Erfworld implementing, common sense should tell you why a volcanic eruption would kill people above it whereas a fire wouldn't.

A city-sized fire is a significant hazard to aviation, at least at the altitudes that erf units can attain.
drachefly

Postby Doctor Foreman » Sun May 05, 2013 10:31 am

drachefly wrote:
Doctor Foreman wrote:I could accept Erfworld implementing, common sense should tell you why a volcanic eruption would kill people above it whereas a fire wouldn't.

A city-sized fire is a significant hazard to aviation, at least at the altitudes that erf units can attain.

Not in the same sense as a volcanic eruption, though.
"If you leave out important things or events that you know about, the story is strengthened. If you leave or skip something because you do not know it, the story will be worthless." - Hemingway
Doctor Foreman

Postby Finwe » Sun May 05, 2013 3:06 pm

Doctor Foreman wrote:
drachefly wrote:

Not in the same sense as a volcanic eruption, though.

I still think it'd be pretty dangerous and potentially lethal. All the heat rises: a city-sized fire generates a LOT of heat, so you might be cooked alive. The smoke could also suffocate you and your mount. Especially if the hex-barrier traps in heat and smoke, the heat and smoke could become deadly even to airborne units that otherwise wouldn't be burned.
Finwe
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Urf » Sun May 05, 2013 3:34 pm

Escaping the blaze by lifting into airspace isn't badass enough for Parson. For the narrative to be served, the solution will either be incredibly grand and game-breaking or incredibly simple, and overlooked.
Urf

Postby Swodaems » Sun May 05, 2013 4:16 pm

There is the possibility that Parson escapes this trap because something tragic happens in the Magic Kingdom.

Wanda may be in more danger there than Parson was. More time has passed, allowing for more casters to have taken notice of the situation. Depending on their interpretation of the prophecies involved, the GMTTA may not be willing to help her as they would Parson.

The next update may have Wanda being shanked in the MK and the decrypted in the hex with Parson disband because of it. He could then turn barbarian and create his own side to escape.
Swodaems

Postby effataigus » Sun May 05, 2013 4:39 pm

For the current or former WoW players among us... Parson is screaming in raid chat to wipe it up so he can feign death and rez.
Last edited by effataigus on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:31 am, edited 239044 times in total.
effataigus

Postby drachefly » Sun May 05, 2013 4:40 pm

I would bet at 100:1 odds against Wanda being croaked during book 2. Do you mean that the decrypted would go poof if she loses the arkenpliers? That doesn't seem right.
Closest I can think of is that Stanley might disband them all just to be rid of Wanda's oversized influence.
drachefly

Postby Urf » Sun May 05, 2013 5:38 pm

1. What happens to an Inferno at end of turn?

2. Who can end turn at Spacerock? Can Transylvito?
Urf

Postby Pokota » Sun May 05, 2013 9:20 pm

Urf wrote:1. What happens to an Inferno at end of turn?

From what I understand, Inferno burns until the start of the next day, with the start of the next day being delayed until the Inferno finishes its work.
zyxophoj wrote:Also, it depends rather heavily on Wanda ... not being Wanda.
Pokota

Postby Urf » Sun May 05, 2013 9:44 pm

Bah, I was hoping the GMTTA, Maggie, and Bunny might seize the moment.

We only need to stop the fire from consuming the GK units. Ending it by means of end of turn isn't going to work, and Hippiemancy against non-sentient environmental effects might be against game constrictions.
Urf

Postby 0beron » Mon May 06, 2013 12:11 am

Urf wrote:Bah, I was hoping the GMTTA, Maggie, and Bunny might seize the moment.

Interesting you mention Bunny, because I have brought up the question of her allegiance before.

Notice that the necklace Bunny wears is like the GMTTA symbol, but with different coloring. To me this might suggest there is a group that apposes, at least in principle if not with actual conflict, the GMTTA, and that she is part of it. Of course, the color may be insignificant and is just natural Dollamancy to fit with her Raiment.

And in any event, one would have to wonder how her Duty to Transylvito (and their alliance with various other parties) would jibe with whatever commitment she has to Thinkamancy group(s).

And finally we of course have to wonder how much Juice she has left as well after such a busy turn. A huge battle that she was spying on continuously, as well as the duties of supporting presumably two sides, since Don might have her assisting Jillian with communication as well.

Oh and speaking of the Bat, I have noticed it mentioned on several occasions in speculation. Assuming it is even still alive, it can't be in the Garrison anywhere otherwise the city wouldn't have changed hands to GK. In fact if it were still in the airspace at all, it might now be in chains, though I don't think we know whether the capture rules extend to the Airspace. At any rate, I don't think it's possible for that poor little thing to play any strategic role in the city's fate, it's role is likely purely to inform Don and influence Transylvito's actions. Or perhaps the GMTTA, if Bunny is indeed loyal to them and feeding them updates on the situation.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Urf » Mon May 06, 2013 1:23 am

Well, the idea was that the turn belonged to the assorted sides allied with Jetstone. Faq left battlespace*, Haggar is unlikely to contribute, Jetstone itself is in retreat, leaving the Trasylvitian Bat. If Maggie and the GMTTA rcan get Bunny to persuade the King Don to end turn, I was surmising it would give immediate move and refresh to the GK units in Spacerock, if not halt the progression of the Inferno.

But that's all entirely unlikely.

I don't think a color change suggests there are sects within the GMTTA, the design suggests there is a unifying allegiance amongst thinkamancers.

I still think Parson might try to cast something on the fire to make it inert. That, or Jillian will return. Ideally, both would happen.
Urf

Postby mroozee » Mon May 06, 2013 1:32 am

0beron wrote:Oh and speaking of the Bat, I have noticed it mentioned on several occasions in speculation. Assuming it is even still alive, it can't be in the Garrison anywhere otherwise the city wouldn't have changed hands to GK. In fact if it were still in the airspace at all, it might now be in chains, though I don't think we know whether the capture rules extend to the Airspace. At any rate, I don't think it's possible for that poor little thing to play any strategic role in the city's fate, it's role is likely purely to inform Don and influence Transylvito's actions. Or perhaps the GMTTA, if Bunny is indeed loyal to them and feeding them updates on the situation.

I suspect the bat survived by flying; putting it somewhere in Jetstone's Airspace and once the Garrison fell, the bat would be captured automagically. An unconscious or incapacitated unit - which may describe the bat if it fell into the Garrison but survived - wouldn't hold the side (Brother Orwell didn't and if Ace is alive, he didn't either). At that point, the bat is a prisoner and since it is not a commander could not flee (it would have to wait for GK's turn even if it could move). Can you surrender to an incapacitated unit? (see below). Stanley would presumably know the bat's exact location at this point but Parson wouldn't necessarily know. So how would Parson find the bat? His glasses let him see the actual name of a Unit (Transylvito Bat #42 would be a good clue) but I don't know if it could help him FIND a Unit. His bracer could do it, I suppose: "1. What are my chances of surviving without reading the scroll? Greater than zero, huh?" "2. What are my chances of fleeing this Hex? Still non-zero." "3. What are the odds of me surviving if I let myself be captured? Weird... it says the chances are good." "4. What are my chances of escaping from Charlie? Zero." "5. Wait... if Charlie captures me will he kill me? 100%." Thinking... "6. What are the odds of survival if I am captured by someone other than Charlie? Bingo." A hidden Unit? Hmm... a prisoner?! Yes! Parson then shouts, "All prisoners come to my location immediately!"

By the way, if you CAN surrender to an incapacitated unit, Parson wouldn't have to find the bat as he could surrender to Ace (assuming Ace is still alive) and then immediately become a fugitive and leave the Hex. A third option would be to disarm, restrain and then force a change in loyalty upon one of the former Jetstone Units whom Parson could then surrender to and run from. The "surrender to the bat" scenario may be better described as a general "fugitive from the RCC2" scenario.

That will be my current best case solution. Parson surrenders to the unconscious Ace and then either carries Ace out of Jetstone or flies out of the Hex with Ace on one of the dwagons (if legal), making everyone happy.
Last edited by mroozee on Mon May 06, 2013 1:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
mroozee

Postby 0beron » Mon May 06, 2013 1:42 am

Urf wrote:If Maggie and the GMTTA can get Bunny to persuade the King Don to end turn, I was surmising it would give immediate move and refresh to the GK units in Spacerock, if not halt the progression of the Inferno.

GK already had turn, and it was ended with Kingworld. Assuming that Transylvito is still even on turn (I forget the order and how it may have been modified by alliances today), them ending it would only bring Night, not a new GK turn. Inferno still wins.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Cnor » Mon May 06, 2013 1:51 am

Do we know if the Turnamancy that Charlie pulled actually affected turn order or not? It seems like the same effect could have been achieved by pulling GK's turn to a place in the order that he found more advantageous, rather than just ending it...
Cnor

Postby Doctor Foreman » Mon May 06, 2013 3:16 am

Cnor wrote:Do we know if the Turnamancy that Charlie pulled actually affected turn order or not? It seems like the same effect could have been achieved by pulling GK's turn to a place in the order that he found more advantageous, rather than just ending it...

That would probably be an unwise move as it would give GK one and a half turns in the day (seeing as they already had a chunk of one turn).

0beron wrote:GK already had turn, and it was ended with Kingworld. Assuming that Transylvito is still even on turn (I forget the order and how it may have been modified by alliances today), them ending it would only bring Night, not a new GK turn. Inferno still wins.

Your post raises an interesting question: if Erf time is turn-based, how is the length of a night determined?
Last edited by Doctor Foreman on Mon May 06, 2013 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If you leave out important things or events that you know about, the story is strengthened. If you leave or skip something because you do not know it, the story will be worthless." - Hemingway
Doctor Foreman

Postby Ansan Gotti » Mon May 06, 2013 3:16 am

I've been thinking about it, and one thing that has stuck out to me and a couple of others is how desperate Charlie appears to have Parson cast the scroll.

I think Parson has to see that, too.

So maybe Parson goes for the ultimate bluff... tell Charlie OK, I guess I'll DIAF. And see if that shakes free a reaction or some info.

This concept could be aided with a quick calc, "What are the odds Charlie will just let me die here if I refuse to use the scroll?"
Ansan Gotti
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby vintermann » Mon May 06, 2013 6:59 am

One possibility I just thought of: Charlie is a carnymancer. This means they are good at changing the rules of the game, but it's more about fooling people - stuff that looks spectacular - rather than genuinely überpowerful stuff.

Which leads me to: Kingworld. What if Kingworld isn't all it's souped up to be? What if it's going to expire, and Parson suddenly is on turn with full move? Then a red dragon escape (probably along with some warlords) is within reach. Maybe the reason Charlie is so insistent on getting Parson to use that scroll is that he knows Parson has another way out. The whole "That won't work. That won't work either. You've lost, give up"-spiel from Charlie is suspiciously carnymantic.
vintermann

Postby Cnor » Mon May 06, 2013 7:27 am

Doctor Foreman wrote:
Cnor wrote:Do we know if the Turnamancy that Charlie pulled actually affected turn order or not? It seems like the same effect could have been achieved by pulling GK's turn to a place in the order that he found more advantageous, rather than just ending it...

That would probably be an unwise move as it would give GK one and a half turns in the day (seeing as they already had a chunk of one turn).

Remember, though, the corollary to... Rule 13, I think?... is that creating additional problems generates additional business. So, if Jetsone and co. take them out, great! Goals served! If not, they've now hired him and have additional issues to deal with in the form of GK getting another turn and things being a mess because all of a sudden they're going at a different time.
Cnor

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions