Turning away from your side and forming a new one question

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

Turning away from your side and forming a new one question

Postby Malanthyus » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:42 am

Has it been made clear anywhere whether a unit could break away from it's current side and form a new one if it held control of a capital city site?
Malanthyus

Re: Turning away from your side and forming a new one questi

Postby 0beron » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:09 am

It has indeed been made clear it's possible, but we have never seen it and do not know the specific mechanic, or any requirements that may limit it. Any of the following may be true:
  • Only Royal sides can do this (because this is the context in which it was mentioned)
  • The "founding unit" must have their current Ruler's permission
  • It takes money
  • The capital site they claim must be neutral or razed
  • ...other things we can't think of.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby bladestorm » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:37 pm

I wonder how heir-designate would fit into this. I think that the heir-designate would not be viable to start a new Side. This could be why Jetstone popped so many Princes. One to assume the mantle of King (should anything happen), and the others to spin off new Sides once the diminishing Smuckers point is reached.

Parental consent may be a factor in spinning off a new Side, since only potential heirs actually have parents. For example, once Wanda popped, she could have been made heir-designate, which freed up Tommy to found a new Side once they had taken over a capitol site. Not necessarily Royal, but the Firebaughs do have parents and siblings.

This does bring up the issue of if GK would be able to do so, since they have not popped any potential heirs. Although, that would in turn explain why they haven't done so once they reached the diminishing Smuckers point, and already had a secondary capitol site.
bladestorm

Postby mortissimus » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:39 am

bladestorm wrote:This does bring up the issue of if GK would be able to do so, since they have not popped any potential heirs. Although, that would in turn explain why they haven't done so once they reached the diminishing Smuckers point, and already had a secondary capitol site.

Though Stanley not wanting it would also serve as an explanation. I could easily see Slatley having Ossomer spinning of an allied site and being able to work with that, but Stanley? Would it not hurt his ego to have one of his subordinates raised to the level of equal?
mortissimus

Postby bladestorm » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:55 pm

mortissimus wrote:
bladestorm wrote:This does bring up the issue of if GK would be able to do so, since they have not popped any potential heirs. Although, that would in turn explain why they haven't done so once they reached the diminishing Smuckers point, and already had a secondary capitol site.

Though Stanley not wanting it would also serve as an explanation. I could easily see Slatley having Ossomer spinning of an allied site and being able to work with that, but Stanley? Would it not hurt his ego to have one of his subordinates raised to the level of equal?

The only one capable of claiming to be near his equal would be Wanda, since she is the only one who has attuned to an Arkentool. Charlie has the third Tool and the fourth is MIA. So aside from Wanda, Stanley could spin off new Sides, and despite having the title of Overlord, they would not be Stanley's equals.
bladestorm

Postby mortissimus » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:00 pm

Ah, but that is the official version. Deep down Stanley is a very insecure little man, deadly afraid someone is going to see through his act as great leader. And what better way to risk that then to give them an own side to run?
mortissimus

Postby drachefly » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:41 pm

On the other hand, if it's led by Parson, the summoning spell compels obedience, so Stanley then has two sides under his direct command. That's a world record. He'd be the first emperor.

There are angles.
drachefly

Postby mortissimus » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:12 pm

0beron wrote:It has indeed been made clear it's possible, but we have never seen it and do not know the specific mechanic, or any requirements that may limit it. Any of the following may be true:
  • Only Royal sides can do this (because this is the context in which it was mentioned)
  • The "founding unit" must have their current Ruler's permission
  • It takes money
  • The capital site they claim must be neutral or razed
  • ...other things we can't think of.

It is the Ossomer/Haggar conversation we have right?

Unless they accepted alliance, Jetstone would march on the capital and annex Haggar into a greater kingdom, perhaps then spinning it off into a new side with Ossomer himself as King.

- http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/First_Intermission_40

So another that might be true:
  • Only heirs can found a new side

I am kind of partial to that one myself, as heirs are also the only unit that can rebell and similar mechanics might be involved. Unfortunately we don't know more about rebellion then about founding a new side.
mortissimus

Return to Everything Else Erfworld