Erfgame 3 (CLOSED) - Rules and Discussion

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

Re: Erfgame 3 (CLOSED) - Rules and Discussion

Postby 0beron » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:46 am

I eagerly await this promised update :)
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Exate » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:39 pm

The game is pretty stalled out at the moment, but that's no reason not to pick apart mechanics! The latest text update has some good lines:

"It was the first time she’d ever ordered her father to do anything, a rare Chief Warlord’s prerogative reserved for times when the stakes were at their highest." This is interesting; also an indication that you really shouldn't be giving the Chief Warlord position to anyone that you don't trust completely. If the Chief Warlord can order the Ruler but the Ruler can disband the Chief Warlord, you end up with a potentially mutually destructive power dynamic that makes the mention of coups and rebellions make a lot more sense.

"Level 5, +1 garrison walls, a dungeon zone, +2 ...farm? oh, the garden, +2 tower but no spells left on it..." implies that cities use a bonus system significantly less complex than what we've been using; likely with total provided bonuses equal to city level. It also implies that farms, and presumably mines and similar, are linked directly to the city in a way that makes them exclusive with other city bonuses rather than being potential additions to any city as we've been playing them.

"The target was still a commander, able and expected to escape. She was neither guarded nor imprisoned. She was mounted." implies that "guarded" and "imprisoned" are (implicit?) status effects which apply to prisoners and actively prevent them from escaping, and in their absence any commander unit will immediately do so.

"The tall towers blocked much of the sky, but amazingly, Jack found the tiny form of the Overlady almost immediately. There she was, barreling northwestward. Jillian wasn’t sure she could have spotted such a tiny target from here at all, let alone as fast as he had." Personally, I find Jack's fast and accurate powers of observation to be another of many indications that casters can be expected to have miscellaneous skills generally in theme with their discipline even outside of things with expend juice- Eyemancers are good at seeing things, Hippiemancers are good with people, and so forth. But by the same token it's likely that many units pop with minor particular talents, and they're simply not relevant enough to come up in the story most of the time.

"“Veil the gwiffons,” she ordered. “I’ll have to stop casting on you,” came Jack Snipe’s voice." This exchange shows that some spells are actively maintained by the caster throughout their duration, rather than being cast and simply staying in place like most magical effects we've seen so far.
Exate
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!

Postby MarbitChow » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:54 pm

Also regarding rules:

"They could try hunting for her when their turn came, but the head start would be...however much move that broomstick had in it, plus the Overlady’s own move." This applies more to the DK Rising rule set than Erfgame 3 (probably - I haven't reviewed it extensively) but it does prove that crossing hex borders on a mount doesn't subtract from a unit's innate movement.
MarbitChow

Postby 0beron » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:22 pm

MarbitChow wrote:prove[s] that crossing hex borders on a mount doesn't subtract from a unit's innate movement.

HA!!!!!!!!!!!!! FINALLY SWEET CONFIRMATION THAT THINKING OTHERWISE WAS A STUPID MECHANIC
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby WhirdCheese » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:27 pm

You should check the summer updates. Trammenis mountchains to talk to Ossomer.
WhirdCheese

Postby Lord of Monies » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:41 pm

That was never proof though, as he could have got off one mount and onto the other in the same hex, thus not needing any of his own move at all. This is definitive proof.
With the dawning of each new day, my evil machinations inch me closer to world domination. And also breakfast.
Lord of Monies

Postby Koliup » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:00 pm

Lord of Monies wrote:That was never proof though, as he could have got off one mount and onto the other in the same hex, thus not needing any of his own move at all. This is definitive proof.

That was proof.
If it cost him innate movement to be dragged along by a mount, then he wouldn't have been able to pull that off. He would've been stuck at a hex border five hexes away from wherever he left, on a mount with a further 5-45 move left.
What I don't get is why people thought it ate both unit's move.

On the topic of mounts, I got an interesting idea as to what saddles could do for us(remember the non-magical item talk?), in this game: You know how Jillian hopped right up on crapsack, and could ride him just fine, with no mention of a penalty(or any penalty worth mentioning)? And how the KISS were riding dwagons bareback? Yet, you see saddles on mounts anyway? Also, there are multiple archers mounted on unipegataurs over Spacerock(?), all with saddles.
Well, I thought the current penalty could be amended with some policies relating to what we've seen: Units with riding suffer no penalty from un-saddled mounts, and gain a small bonus from saddles, regular melee units like stabbers and pikers suffer a small penalty(-1, -2), which is negated by saddles, and ranged units, like archers are unable to use their archery special(and take the penalty) without being saddled, and casters take a hit to juice costs riding unsaddled.

Also, what does the broomstick use? Dollamancy? How would a Turnamancy-animated object differ from a Dollamancy creation?
All systems nominal.
Koliup

Postby 0beron » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:09 pm

Koliup wrote:That was proof.
If it cost him innate movement to be dragged along by a mount, then he wouldn't have been able to pull that off. He would've been stuck at a hex border five hexes away from wherever he left, on a mount with a further 5-45 move left.
What I don't get is why people thought it ate both unit's move.

No, the idea was that Mounts could carry 0-move riders across a hex boundary. Passing the boundary reduced both of their move by x, but the Rider reaching 0 wouldn't prevent them from continuing because the Mount ability bypasses that. It is in my opinion an idiotic mechanic, but there are actually real world games that function that way.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Lord of Monies » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:12 am

The broomstick is likely dollamancy. Turnamancy adds motion to an already existing part, like the wheels on a wagon or a boat. I imagine the main difference is juice cost. Dollamancy creates the item and adds the special ability of motion whether it also add water-capable or the flight special. Turnamancy, meanwhile, has everything in front of it and only applies motion. Less juice required, while needing good fabrication units to make the vehicle in the first place.
With the dawning of each new day, my evil machinations inch me closer to world domination. And also breakfast.
Lord of Monies

Postby Kaed » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:10 pm

Dude, I'm pretty sure any flying items have weirdomancy as an aspect in their creation. Rob specifically pointed out that flight is weirdomancy stuff in one klog.
UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.
Kaed
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby 0beron » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:23 pm

Unrelated note, but cue Kaed starting to hate me now that I've finally left my city. Now I'm actually gonna need map views too haha.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Kaed » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:21 pm

0beron wrote:Unrelated note, but cue Kaed starting to hate me now that I've finally left my city. Now I'm actually gonna need map views too haha.

Vicky, Please.

I already made your map last night, I was just too tired to put a post to it.
UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.
Kaed
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby 0beron » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:42 pm

True, but it's still one more person to do maps for haha. I delayed it as long as I could...entirely for your sake, definitely...
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby LTDave » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:08 pm

0beron wrote:I've finally left my city. Now I'm actually gonna need map views too haha.

Where are you going? And why?
LTDave

Postby 0beron » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:57 pm

LTDave wrote:Where are you going? And why?

That's for me to know and for nobody else to find out until it's too late :p I've been quite isolationist up until now, so obviously it must be something very worth it to draw me out :p
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Deo » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:28 am

Hope you guys have good logs, Ive read through the entire thread and would love to eventually know the details of the game when it comes to an end :)
Deo
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby 0beron » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:28 am

Deo wrote:...when it comes to an end :)

What is this end you speak of? This is the game that neverrrrr ends, it just goes on and on my friend, some people started playing it not knowing what it was and now they'll be playing it forever just because this is the game that neverrrrr ends, it just goes on and on my friend, some people started playing it not knowing what it was and now they'll be playing it forever just because this is the game that neverrrrr ends, it just goes on and on my friend, some people started playing it not knowing what it was and now they'll be playing it forever just because this is the game that neverrrrr ends, it just goes on and on my friend, some people started playing it not knowing what it was and now they'll be playing it forever just because this is the game that neverrrrr ends, it just goes on and on my friend, some people started playing it not knowing what it was and now they'll be playing it forever just because this is the game that neverrrrr ends, it just goes on and on my friend, some people started playing it not knowing what it was and now they'll be playing it forever just because....
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Lord of Monies » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:56 pm

Ruler outside the city? Better watch out. Last time I did that I lost my capital! It really must be good if you're willing to risk barbarianism...or your defenses are just that capable. Being, what are you now, a lvl 4 city? The latter is more likely to be true. I need some more intelligence. Where are my damn scouts?!
Lord of Monies

Postby Kaed » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:38 am

Lord of Monies wrote:Ruler outside the city? Better watch out. Last time I did that I lost my capital! It really must be good if you're willing to risk barbarianism...or your defenses are just that capable. Being, what are you now, a lvl 4 city? The latter is more likely to be true. I need some more intelligence. Where are my damn scouts?!

Ha ha monies, you big silly. Everyone knows you just started as a barbarian, who would have been around to take your capital?

>_>
Kaed
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Lord of Monies » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:48 am

Oh yeah, forgot about the details. Got caught up in making a point which otherwise still stands. Hmm, actually, that is a point. Where are my damn scouts?
Lord of Monies

PreviousNext

Return to Your Games