Best Caster to be your Ruler?

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

Best Caster to be your Ruler?

Postby GWvsJohn » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:00 pm

So I'm about to join a tabletop/pen & paper RPG based in a version of Erfworld where all the known sides are suddenly eliminated and each player controls a new side that is starting from scratch. The DM has written rules (the details pf which are secret) and will use them plus the will of the Titans to run the game. Overall seems like an amazing game.

Anyway, we each start with a single Level 3 Warlord to represent our Ruler. I have been given permission to have my Ruler be a caster of my choosing instead of a Warlord. So I'm trying to decide what specialty would be best.

About my side, it's a take on Snow White where Snow White is the evil queen and the dwarfs (natural allies) are her minions. The side will also be a play on Chaos Dwarves from Warhammer (ie evil engineer dwarf raiders) with the sides Men taking the role of the hobgoblins (ie wild, undisciplined, Mongolian themed)

So, why type of Caster would be best. Here are my initial thoughts

Thinkamancer - seems to have the most overall utility and any large side will need one. Also seems to be the most common, so acquiring one later will be easier.

Turnamancer - seems very strong and interesting. The bonus to production fits with the industrial vibe of the Chaos Dwarfs.

Lookamancer - mirror, mirror... The most characterful choice, but seems weak when a lone caster.

Hatamamcer - big hats, lol. Another flavorful choice. Another one that seems a little weak.

Would love to hear comments or other thoughts.
I know how it works. And I'm not that confident.
User avatar
GWvsJohn
 
Posts: 368
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:52 pm

Re: Best Caster to be your Ruler?

Postby drachefly » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:56 pm

Moneymancer would probably level up as well safely tucked away in the castle as otherwise. Mathamancers too - think how scared the Harkonnens were that the Atreides might have a 'mentat duke' in Paul.
Last edited by drachefly on Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
drachefly
 
Posts: 1594
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:36 pm

Re: Best Caster to be your Ruler?

Postby arkerpay » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:02 pm

Dirtamancer! Build your soulless golem armies to wreak stone and metal destruction on your enemies. Use your building skills to build awesome fortresses with equally awesome defenses. Mine the earth for gold and gems. And when your enemies crap their pants....
arkerpay
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:07 am

Re: Best Caster to be your Ruler?

Postby GWvsJohn » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:09 pm

Dirtamancers are powerful, but doesn't fit my Snow White theme at all.

Money and Math are both great for a stay at home caster, but this caster will be only commander to start, so she needs some combat capability until my side grows. That's why I was thinking Think or Turn. Both have some combat application which I can use early, but switch to the more realm focused powers later.
I know how it works. And I'm not that confident.
User avatar
GWvsJohn
 
Posts: 368
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:52 pm

Re: Best Caster to be your Ruler?

Postby bladestorm » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:30 am

Shockamancer: Go around throwing fireballs, engulfing opponents in hellfire, breathing dragonfire, shooting lightning from your fingertips, and blasting opponents to little bitsies.

Hippiemancer: Poisoned apples, surround your city with a forest of thorns, hide your forces in an enchanted forest, make trees move behind your opponents to block the path that they just came through, wield a thorny vine as w hip.

Changemancer: Change into dragon form, change the appearance of your dwarves, change the materials your dwarves work with, enahcnt weapons so that they change form in combat, and generally keep everything warping into a new form.

Dollamancer: Personalize raiment, accessories for the dwarves, change your clothes on the fly.
bladestorm
 
Posts: 668
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 10:11 pm

Re: Best Caster to be your Ruler?

Postby WaterMonkey314 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:00 pm

From experience playing / watching the Erfworld sims, the best mechanistic caster really depends on the rules - some casters are invariably useful (Foola / Croaka mancers) while others depend very much on the ruleset (Dittomancers, Date-a-mancers, Mathamancers tend to be poorly characterized). How robust / well-developed is your ruleset for all the caster classes?
WaterMonkey314
 
Posts: 782
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:40 pm

Re: Best Caster to be your Ruler?

Postby Finn MacCool » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:34 pm

GWvsJohn wrote:Dirtamancers are powerful, but doesn't fit my Snow White theme at all.

i think it goes well with the dwarves (because of mining and such).
Finn MacCool
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:52 am

Re: Best Caster to be your Ruler?

Postby GWvsJohn » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:24 pm

Lots of great ideas in here, but the DM just Retconjured the rules, lol. Instead of a caster Ruler, I get a random level 1 caster, and I rolled Hat Magic. I'm pretty happy, good utility discipline. First priority is some messaging hats :)
I know how it works. And I'm not that confident.
User avatar
GWvsJohn
 
Posts: 368
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:52 pm

Re: Best Caster to be your Ruler?

Postby cloudbreaker » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:56 pm

Here is a video to help you get into the Hat Mage mindset. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wm8REOibmgA
Bored? Read The Adventured of Melissa Ray. An Erfworld fanfic. comment here

Or A Tale From Traz. (Now complete!). comment here.
User avatar
cloudbreaker
 
Posts: 447
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:09 pm

Re: Best Caster to be your Ruler?

Postby drachefly » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:12 pm

bladestorm wrote:Shockamancer: Go around throwing fireballs, engulfing opponents in hellfire, breathing dragonfire, shooting lightning from your fingertips, and blasting opponents to little bitsies.


Live on the front lines, be a big target, die like a chump.
User avatar
drachefly
 
Posts: 1594
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:36 pm

Re: Best Caster to be your Ruler?

Postby bladestorm » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:09 pm

drachefly wrote:
bladestorm wrote:Shockamancer: Go around throwing fireballs, engulfing opponents in hellfire, breathing dragonfire, shooting lightning from your fingertips, and blasting opponents to little bitsies.


Live on the front lines, be a big target, die like a chump.

Pssh. That's what meat shields were invented for. Besides, it's not any different than the Level 3 Warlord that the others would be playing, aside from the ability to blast stuff for big damage.
bladestorm
 
Posts: 668
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 10:11 pm

Re: Best Caster to be your Ruler?

Postby 0beron » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:51 pm

I think Florist is by far the best choice. It would fit the theme in the sense of the poison apples actually being Snow's magic, and also while other casters may have greater side-wide benefits, a Florist is the one who (when played smart) could never be in danger of dying.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
User avatar
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
 
Posts: 2953
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:52 pm
Location: Morlock Wells

Re: Best Caster to be your Ruler?

Postby Selexor » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:32 am

For early-game, two thematically appropriate ones (in my mind) are Florist and Healomancer. Others have extolled the virtues of a Florist - the themes match up with poison, plants, natural allies in woodland areas, etc. - but I'd say a Healomancer works just as well. Protecting and caring for her Dwarves, making them loyal to her, and just as useful early-game to keep an army alive when she's on the front lines with them. It fits with the Snow White ideal in my mind, something relatively gentle and sweet, but that could be used to support something that's most certainly not. The problem is of course that late-game both of those fall off a bit. Both excel when fighting on the front lines, buffing allies and disabling enemies, but aren't much scratch if you lock 'em in a tower away from the fighting.

For sheer utility, there's a lot that suit someone who's sitting in the fortress late game and not doing much. Mathamancy, Moneymancy, Predictamancy, Lookamancy, Thinkamancy, Turnamancy... but some of those are more optimal than others if she'll be leading armies early-game, and some are more thematically appropriate. A Luckamancer or Mathamancer, for example, could be quite useful to fudge dice rolls and cheat the system in a way that is the fairest of them all. The Dwarves are of course miners, so Moneymancy makes perfect sense. The Mirror saw things nobody else could, so Lookamancy or Predictamancy fits.

Personally, if I want the ideal Caster Overlord to sit in a castle and not die, it's a coin-toss between Moneymancer or Dirtamancer. But if you want a thematic match, a good early-game Warlord, and a good late-game Caster to sit in your castle... Turnamancer is my vote. Snow White turned the Hunter, earned the friendship of all she met, and was the fairest and most beloved so that all adored her. It fits the theme, it's handy on the front lines, and it's handy to sit in your base and pump out new units.
But of course that's just my opinion.
User avatar
Selexor
 
Posts: 191
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:41 am
Location: Victoria, Australia

Re: Best Caster to be your Ruler?

Postby drachefly » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:47 pm

Selexor wrote:For early-game, two thematically appropriate ones (in my mind) are Florist and Healomancer. Others have extolled the virtues of a Florist - the themes match up with poison, plants, natural allies in woodland areas, etc. - but I'd say a Healomancer works just as well. Protecting and caring for her Dwarves, making them loyal to her, and just as useful early-game to keep an army alive when she's on the front lines with them. It fits with the Snow White ideal in my mind, something relatively gentle and sweet, but that could be used to support something that's most certainly not. The problem is of course that late-game both of those fall off a bit. Both excel when fighting on the front lines, buffing allies and disabling enemies, but aren't much scratch if you lock 'em in a tower away from the fighting.



The florist provides an economic boost. Olive is a powerhouse even without the chillaxe, and that may well not be unique or even unusual - we only know that she doesn't carry spares.
User avatar
drachefly
 
Posts: 1594
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:36 pm

Re: Best Caster to be your Ruler?

Postby TokraZeno » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:05 am

drachefly wrote: Olive is a powerhouse even without the chillaxe, and that may well not be unique or even unusual


I'd say that's highly likely. Reminded me of Sizemore's Erfmover.
TokraZeno
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:25 am

Re: Best Caster to be your Ruler?

Postby 0beron » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:35 am

Selexor wrote:...Turnamancer is my vote. Snow White turned the Hunter, earned the friendship of all she met, and was the fairest and most beloved so that all adored her.

I agree with this, but also remember to account for the spell that requires no Juice, which any caster might have :p
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
User avatar
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
 
Posts: 2953
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:52 pm
Location: Morlock Wells

Re: Best Caster to be your Ruler?

Postby Whispri » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:42 am

The Hat Magician seems like one of the best choices, especially if there's snow around. Magical hat production combined with Snow Golems? Can't argue with that.
Whispri
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
 
Posts: 644
Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 9:02 pm


Return to Everything Else Erfworld

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest