Book 2 – Page 103

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Page 103

Postby multilis » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:26 pm

" refuse to believe that Parson is badass enough with a sword that he can change his grip, one-handed, in the midst of a battle, twice, off-panel."

I have trouble seeing the "twice" part. Only frame 8 can I see a clear reverse grip, which could be result of fumble, and a longer fight scene.

Panel 4 is unclear what is happening, IF that is Parson's sword it may be sticking in an enemy soldier and Parson may not be gripping it at all. Parson's hand is not visible.
Last edited by multilis on Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
multilis

Postby cheeseaholic » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:30 pm

tgriff02 wrote:Where is this infantry that is getting stabbed/piked/ear-raped/brutalized in the head everyone keeps referencing? I see a JS guard with a blade sticking out of their back in panel 4, but haven't found anyone fighting on with a should-be-mortal would yet. Still looking, but a map would not be amiss atm.

King Slatley has two guards. The dark haired one gets stabbed through the chest in panel 4 and is fighting someone else in panel 5.
cheeseaholic

Postby multilis » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:36 pm

cheeseaholic wrote:
tgriff02 wrote:Where is this infantry that is getting stabbed/piked/ear-raped/brutalized in the head everyone keeps referencing? I see a JS guard with a blade sticking out of their back in panel 4, but haven't found anyone fighting on with a should-be-mortal would yet. Still looking, but a map would not be amiss atm.

King Slatley has two guards. The dark haired one gets stabbed through the chest in panel 4 and is fighting someone else in panel 5.

Panel 4 has at least 3 guards for King Slately, 1 with dark hair and 2 with lighter brown all bunched together. Middle one you can only see helmet and hair. Scene makes most sense to me as at least 4 guards, 2 with darker brown hair and some were off frame in other scenes that only show 2 or 3.

Correction: http://www.erfworld.com/wp-content/uplo ... eb_900.jpg also shows 3 guards with broader view in first panel, so while still possible that there is a #4 straggler who was rear guard/lookout, may also be possible that soldier still fights for a bit after a stab to lungs. In real life it is possible but rarer for someone to fight for 30 seconds or a minute after a lung is stabbed.
Last edited by multilis on Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
multilis

Postby cheeseaholic » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:43 pm

I misremembered, he had three guards not two.

http://www.erfworld.com/wp-content/uplo ... -01-16.jpg

Even so the dark haired one is the one who was stabbed and is seen in the next panel alive.
cheeseaholic

Postby multilis » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:48 pm

cheeseaholic wrote:I misremembered, he had three guards not two.

http://www.erfworld.com/wp-content/uplo ... -01-16.jpg

Even so the dark haired one is the one who was stabbed and is seen in the next panel alive.

Likely true but still also possible to have a 4th, who was much further behind the main group and ran up into position later. In real life it would make sense to post a scout further down where clear lines of view to watch for an enemy approaching, who runs up to join king/report after.

(From what I know in real life from butchering sheep, and watching nature shows where animals fight, etc, there is a big difference on how long in real life an animal can function after stabbed. With a lung gone, running out of air eventually will bring animal down a minute later. Some animals die in a few seconds, others if high on adrenaline may take a minute, even doing semi complex things after head is completely off.)
multilis

Postby tgriff02 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:05 pm

Thanks. i was misreading the comments here to state the guard took it in the head, which WOULD have been astounding, to say the least, but I never could find anyone with such a wound. Glad to know ya'll were saying chest and I'm just illeterate instead of being completely blind :P ;)

Having cleared THAT up; the guard getting stabbed in panel 4 has dark hair and dark skin, the guard still standing in panel 5 has dark hair and fair skin. Doesn't mean it's not the same dude, after all, I've been going on the assumption that injuries work more like an actual RPG where the physical appearance and embodiment of wounds/damage are much less important that the actual number of hits a unit has remaining. Perhaps the unit just made his fort save?

I've been a long time D&D and D20 Modern player. I can tell you from personal experiance that at least one of my characters has taken a battle axe tot he head and a warhammer to the groin (thank you dice for that wonderful mental image at the time) in the same round of combat. Made all 3 saving throws (2 for being hit in critical nerve centers and one for massive damage) and continued right on for another 7 rounds of combat. Realistic? Not even in the most ridiculous stretch of imagination; did it follow the rules of the gaming session and dice mandates, yep(The DM also made acordian sounds for the rest of the session when my character moved around).
tgriff02

Postby Turkey » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:27 pm

Both of the brown haired guards have fairer skin than the dark haired guard getting stabbed in panel 4 (who is also in panel 2, and in panel 2 of page 100). The dark haired guard seen fighting in panel 5 also has fairer skin - either he's a hitherto unseen fourth guard, or he's going pale from blood loss from a huge wound in the chest.
Turkey

Postby cheeseaholic » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:38 pm

Looking back, there appears to be at least 4 guards with Stanley at panel 12 here:

http://www.erfworld.com/wp-content/uplo ... -12-10.jpg

Panel 7 of the same page shows what may be one of the guard's skin in light and in shadow, and it has enough difference for it to simply be a shadow making the skin appear to be a different color in the stabbing through the chest page.

It really didn't seem like Parson and co saw any scouts on the way to the throne room. And a mad dash away from an enemy horde doesn't let you scout ahead. Especially with so few people and no real way of changing where you're going.

I think it's the same guy, but it's not really hard enough evidence to do away with the "it hit him in the head because it killed him" theory when I look at the pages harder.
cheeseaholic

Postby Lamech » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:47 pm

Crackpot theory of the day: Erfworld does have achievements! Parson unlocked one because he is a player, unlike normal units.
Lamech

Postby tgriff02 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:48 pm

You know, it's also kind of funny that something so totally trivial as the fate of an unnamed guard can send us all into hours and hours of research to find any clues to test a point. I wonder how many times Rob reads the reactions threads and can't decide whether to laugh at our antics or run screaming in terror of the monster he has created, lol. :D
tgriff02

Postby cheeseaholic » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:58 pm

Lamech wrote:Crackpot theory of the day: Erfworld does have achievements! Parson unlocked one because he is a player, unlike normal units.

I thought that if anything it's a support of Scorism.

I'm still trying to figure out if if Erfworld is under its own censor. The BOOPT sound effect makes it seem so. Also strikethrough doesn't work on the forum.
cheeseaholic

Postby Chit Rule Railroad » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:35 am

cheeseaholic wrote:Looking back, there appears to be at least 4 guards with Stanley at panel 12 here:

http://www.erfworld.com/wp-content/uplo ... -12-10.jpg

Panel 7 of the same page shows what may be one of the guard's skin in light and in shadow, and it has enough difference for it to simply be a shadow making the skin appear to be a different color in the stabbing through the chest page.

On both that page and the most recent page, the darkskinned guy has neat sideburns and the fairskinned guy has dynamic sideburns. I think they are two different stabbers.
Chit Rule Railroad
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby sheepfly » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:02 am

Slately has as many minions as the narrative requires. Duh.

Parson changes his grip through the Rule of Cool. Naturally.
What would YOU say if you'd won with strength and duty and honor every time when suddenly a veiled flying zero-upkeep 100% recycled army of former friends showed up to croak you with massive numbers and bonuses and skulls with little pink flowers?

Yeah..
sheepfly
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby the_tick_rules » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:15 am

Best boot ever!
I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.
the_tick_rules

Postby Beeskee » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:08 am

I think Parson was lowering his sword in panel 6 in anticipation of some talkamancy when he got pew'd on.

Overall this page is epic, and definitely worth waiting for.

Regarding total unit numbers, this page gives a good overview:

http://www.erfworld.com/book-2-archive/ ... -01-16.jpg

You can see Parson has 1 warlord and 8+ infantry - panel 10 shows 7 + 1 tiny sliver of a shoulder and torso on the far left, other angles don't show as much but may be showing different sides of the room.
King Slately has 3 infantry, and now 1 dollamancer and presumably 1 regular doll and 1 heavy doll.

I'm making some assumptions for which units are infantry and which are warlords, but I think I have it correct.

Edit: I think Ace just broke a rule, according to this page:

http://www.erfworld.com/book-2-archive/ ... -01-22.png

"Incapacitation could take a number of forms. All of them meant that you could not move, could not initiate engagement or disengage, could not personally fight or cast."

I'd love to have some clarification on this. I have my own guesses but there's just too many things it could be.

Another edit:

If Parson is a wild card, then he only needs an Ace, King, Queen, and Jack. :D

Bluh I can't think straight tonight. Edit edit edit edit...
Last edited by Beeskee on Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:41 am, edited 5 times in total.
Beeskee
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby ManaCaster » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:12 am

Noigel wrote:Even in these bittersweet final moments I'm pretty sure Ace has job satisfaction now...

His King finally embraced his contributions (the sceptor/raygun, the jetpack, etc.) and Ace himself has embraced his adversarial, but deceased, co-dollamancer's tech (the stuffed animal heavies/seige, doll units) which he seemed to be at odds with once.

Pretty sure his loyalty is way up there with Slately/Tramennis and the only thing that would turn him would be decryption.

I'm pretty sure his loyalty isn't quite as high as Slately/Tramennis. One is the leader of the side, the other is its heir and Chief Warlord. In contrast, Ace was widely hated until very recently. As to job satisfaction, that's a double edged sword as far as loyalty goes. If Parson discusses interesting enough ideas with him, his enthusiasm for action will probably override it.

Dancing Cthulhu wrote:Plus his best accessories all seem to involve some input from Cubbins. Unless the nature of the conflict changes, he'll think any aid he gives GK is aid in them possibly destroying Jetstone and his little buddy, who he's already shown he's prepared to die to save.

Parson could convince him that Gobwin Knob is going to win whether Ace turns or not, and if he turns, he will have more influence over the side to see to it that his friend is unharmed.
ManaCaster

Postby Saladman » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:42 am

Speaking from (minimal, but real) experience, changing a sword around like that isn't strictly difficult or time-consuming. You wouldn't normally do it, because there's little point to it, and because of the risk of dropping it, but except for that risk, its neither rocket science nor some super-secret black belt martial arts move. Its suboptimal and ill-advised, but strictly speaking easy enough to do when you're swinging something around anyway.
Saladman

Postby Aquillion » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:59 am

Dancing Cthulhu wrote:It had me wondering if some of them might be thinking of turning or something. All of them but Antium look pretty unhappy. While most of Slately's are facing imminent death and only one looks kind of glum, the others look determined or angry.
Parson did sort of talk about considering abandoning them all to die and escaping through the portal, earlier, right in front of them. Not really good for morale.
Aquillion

Postby nargbop » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:49 am

Since Ace is back, Parson is now severely outgunned. Jack Snipe will be the deciding factor in this fight, barring the appearance of Decrypted Archons. Cueball to the cueball, or sniped from the long end.
It would be hilarious if Jack had a Portable Hole to entrap Ace.
nargbop
Tool + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Radagast » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:55 am

I'm pretty sure that the reason Parson kicked the king rather than stabbed him was for the achievement. After all, people will do all kinds of stupid things in games just to earn achievements.
Radagast

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions