Book 2 – Page 103

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Page 103

Postby Silverhorn » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:27 pm

Xin has really come into her own!

Look at the lighting effects in this comic. They are subtle and very effective.

Also the motion of the characters is also natural and fluid.

Xin was good from the start, but it really feels like she is moving from just a good artist who is doing a comic, to a good comic book artist.
Silverhorn

Postby NYbear » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:38 pm

Dancing Cthulhu wrote:
Manic Oppressive wrote:So the Staff of Suckage is basically a one-use. Still, it seems to have saved him some pain.

Parson looks surprised as well, maybe he thought it was longer lasting (or Slately just got lucky and overloaded it). Still, makes sense. Did the same job as Slately's cloak from earlier, useful one shot protective item (only it protects against a wider variety of magics) casters can cook up.

The staff is not necessarily a one use item. Remember it has been used at least once before: http://www.erfworld.com/book-1-archive/?px=%2F121.jpg In panel 9 where the staff seems to be protecting Wanda from the blasts of the Archons.

I'd wager the staff has a limited number of uses/charges that are consumed as it protects the wielder from attacks. Slately's "Pew" attack must've just gone through the last charge(s) so the staff vaporized. Still, it did its job.

and +1 to the Gruberman boot the head reference earlier in the thread :)
NYbear

Postby Spot » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:50 pm

slb wrote:Also can someone explain to a non-native speaker like me the horrible pun that Ace is supposed to have done with the "doll in your court" ?

It's from a basketball-themed saying, "The ball is in your court," meaning that the person you say it to has the initiative.
Spot

Postby Whispri » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:59 pm

drachefly wrote:Parson, you should have closed and gotten in a finishing blow while you had the chance. The doll had time to both be rezzed and come around the wall. Just how far did you kick him?

Well, I guess you're kind of new to this.

Handing the guy with the shooter a range advantage does seem like a sub-par choice. I'm pretty sure the King was knocked from the throne to the edge of the hall or close to it, as that's about where he was standing when he cradling his dolly.

I suspect this is a case of simply not knowing his own strength, how often will he have kicked someone of Slately's size?

NYbear wrote:The staff is not necessarily a one use item. Remember it has been used at least once before: http://www.erfworld.com/book-1-archive/?px=%2F121.jpg In panel 9 where the staff seems to be protecting Wanda from the blasts of the Archons.

I'd wager the staff has a limited number of uses/charges that are consumed as it protects the wielder from attacks. Slately's "Pew" attack must've just gone through the last charge(s) so the staff vaporized. Still, it did its job.

and +1 to the Gruberman boot the head reference earlier in the thread :)

That's not the same staff, that staff was destroyed by an overdose of gravity. You can see its remains in the twelfth panel of the very page you linked to.
Whispri
YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby teratorn » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:07 pm

Parson could get injured, sent home with the scroll and wake up in a hospital bed thinking all this was just a dream. How long is book 2 supposed to be?
teratorn

Postby Spot » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:23 pm

teratorn wrote:Parson could get injured, sent home with the scroll and wake up in a hospital bed thinking all this was just a dream. How long is book 2 supposed to be?

Longer than that ;)
Spot

Postby Ambug666 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:26 pm

Ace... Ace... Ace...

Next time try: The doll... is in the house!
Ambug666

Postby BCCroaker » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:04 pm

Parson appears to have reversed his grip on his sword when doing his Chuck Norris style side thrust kick to the stomach. Maybe he still can't strike a lethal blow to a sentient.
BCCroaker
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby effataigus » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:05 pm

Whispri wrote:Handing the guy with the shooter a range advantage does seem like a sub-par choice.
Especially when the alternative was using that magic sword he seems to have forgotten about.

+1 To Xin-art compliments.
Last edited by effataigus on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:31 am, edited 239044 times in total.
effataigus

Postby ManaCaster » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:08 pm

Dancing Cthulhu wrote:In the real world maybe, but Ace has never come off as anything but loyal to Jetstone (plus the whole duty/loyalty compulsion) and joining forces (but not turning) with Parson doesn't seem to benefit Jetstone at all. Sans a turnamancer (or decryption) or words strong enough to convince him to betray Jetstone, Cubbins etc it seems unlikely.

How about these words...

Parson: "Hi prisoner. So you're a Dollamancer huh? What's that do? Create Battle Bears?"
Ace: "It can do far more useful things than that. But Jetstone just wouldn't see reason until now. I can create accessories to make our units stronger."
Parson: "Show me."
* Ace makes a new accessory for Parson *
Parson: "That does sound more useful. How would you like to create accessories for Gobwin Knob?"
Ace: "Really?!"
ManaCaster

Postby teratorn » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:13 pm

Spot wrote:
teratorn wrote:Parson could get injured, sent home with the scroll and wake up in a hospital bed thinking all this was just a dream. How long is book 2 supposed to be?

Longer than that ;)

Are you sure? It took 40 comic pages for Parson to cross the portal. There's stuff happening in the Magic Kingdom and Transylvito, maybe also in GK, not sure this throne room battle will be settled in the next few pages. Parson going after the red shoes is bound to happen, they need to get all the arkentools.
teratorn

Postby cheeseaholic » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:18 pm

That infantry got impaled through the chest and kept on his feet. I guess his personal guards are high level.

And I see Parson's eyebook.
cheeseaholic

Postby Noigel » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:26 pm

How about these words...

Even in these bittersweet final moments I'm pretty sure Ace has job satisfaction now...

His King finally embraced his contributions (the sceptor/raygun, the jetpack, etc.) and Ace himself has embraced his adversarial, but deceased, co-dollamancer's tech (the stuffed animal heavies/seige, doll units) which he seemed to be at odds with once.

Pretty sure his loyalty is way up there with Slately/Tramennis and the only thing that would turn him would be decryption.
Last edited by Noigel on Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Noigel

Postby multilis » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:27 pm

http://www.erfworld.com/book-2-archive/ ... -01-22.png

Incapacitation could take a number of forms. All of them meant that you could not move, could not initiate engagement or disengage, could not personally fight or cast. Some meant that you would croak (or be dusted) if an enemy so much as struck you a single blow. Others, that you would live only until the start of your next turn, unless healed. Sometimes you were conscious, and sometimes not

"could not personally fight or cast." - So not incapacitated or a doll found a healing spell and used it on Ace.
Last edited by multilis on Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
multilis

Postby fehler » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:30 pm

While each individual panel is very nice, I'm having some serious problems with the continuity. In panels 1, 3, and 5 the troops on each side of Parson flip. In panels 1 and 5, parson is holding his sword in a regular grip, but in panels 4 and 8, he is using a reverse grip. And I really don't get panels 10 and 11, the hole in the wall doesn't match where the blast occurred. The windows disappeared, to be replaced with a stone wall?
fehler

Postby multilis » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:38 pm

fehler wrote:While each individual panel is very nice, I'm having some serious problems with the continuity. In panels 1, 3, and 5 the troops on each side of Parson flip. In panels 1 and 5, parson is holding his sword in a regular grip, but in panels 4 and 8, he is using a reverse grip. And I really don't get panels 10 and 11, the hole in the wall doesn't match where the blast occurred. The windows disappeared, to be replaced with a stone wall?

"We'll cut you a clear line" - There was a little time during the fight (that did not appear in a frame) to clear space for Parson to attack king, and during which King gets up and moves to one side.

The kick sends king at an angle nearly parallel to wall, so he hits it, then slides at least a few feet to other end of wall in 10 and 11.

Sword - best I can fit is King's shot or something else made Parson fumble his sword, so he awkwardly caught it again, and at same time kicked King. (As sword wasn't in hand properly to swing sword, kick was only option for Parson to attack)

Parson is a level 2 so likely clumsy with sword, etc. On other hand he is a heavy unit, so hits hard.
Last edited by multilis on Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
multilis

Postby bladestorm » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:49 pm

teratorn wrote:
Spot wrote:

Longer than that ;)

Are you sure? It took 40 comic pages for Parson to cross the portal. There's stuff happening in the Magic Kingdom and Transylvito, maybe also in GK, not sure this throne room battle will be settled in the next few pages. Parson going after the red shoes is bound to happen, they need to get all the arkentools.

There's also the entire rest of the RCCII that have barely been mentioned up to this point, Faq and all of Jillian's misadventures as a Queen, and whatever surprise Charlescomm has in store.

Book 1 was 150 pages with 163 images on archive. The Sword of Ruthlesness wasn't even completed until Page 106, so we have quite a bit of development left to go for Book 2. If Book 2 mimics Book 1 as far as story progression goes, the boop should really hit the fan coming up soon.
bladestorm

Postby OneHugeTuck » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:11 pm

I knew that battle bear would be back! (survived the explosion out at the far edge of the rubble).

'Pew' rocks.

Let's hope Jack has enough juice to go invisible and show his thief backstabbing ability.

I'd like to see Ace make a Blow Up Doll. Though maybe he'd have to link up with another caster.
OneHugeTuck
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby Umbrella_merc » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:20 pm

OneHugeTuck wrote:I knew that battle bear would be back! (survived the explosion out at the far edge of the rubble).

'Pew' rocks.

Let's hope Jack has enough juice to go invisible and show his thief backstabbing ability.

I'd like to see Ace make a Blow Up Doll. Though maybe he'd have to link up with another caster.

Heh, Dollamancer & Date-a-mancer perhaps ;)
Umbrella_merc
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby motorfirebox » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:32 pm

I... I don't know who to root for!

Ace, you have my full permission to fight with your mouth open, so long as you continue to be a complete and utter badboop.
motorfirebox

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions