What is the current update schedule?

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

What is the current update schedule?

Postby Alucinor » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:46 pm

I'd like to know when to check for new cool stuff.
Alucinor

Re: What is the current update schedule?

Postby 0beron » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:50 pm

The "official" schedule that Rob is aiming for is twice a week, once on Wednesday and once over the weekend. He was doing well for a while, but the past month or so they've run into assorted problems so it;s a bit more sporadic. The general theme of the erfworld update schedule is just don't ask, because even if Rob does give an answer, it's usually not accurate, or at least not accurate for long. Just check when you remember, and hope you get a pleasant surprise, that's how I do it.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby tgriff02 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:59 pm

0beron wrote:The "official" schedule that Rob is aiming for is twice a week, once on Wednesday and once over the weekend. He was doing well for a while, but the past month or so they've run into assorted problems so it;s a bit more sporadic. The general theme of the erfworld update schedule is just don't ask, because even if Rob does give an answer, it's usually not accurate, or at least not accurate for long. Just check when you remember, and hope you get a pleasant surprise, that's how I do it.

Plus, there's always us nutters lurking around to poke ;)
tgriff02

Postby vintermann » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:04 am

It's been a while since they've been this late. Not to complain, much as I love the comic I can live with delays - it's more that I'm worried they're not OK.
vintermann
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Beeskee » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:17 am

vintermann wrote:I'm worried they're not OK.

Likewise. I'm worried, I hope nothing is wrong.
Beeskee

Postby kefkakrazy » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:57 pm

Rob was on the Erfworld facebook account yesterday asking people to help him out with an odd bit of terminology.

Apparently he never actually set an Erfworld term for "breast" and, now that something needed to reference it and was having trouble finding an Erfy term that matched. Hopefully we'll see a Book 0 update soon if nothing else, they didn't let on that anything in particular was wrong aside from that piece of extremely-specific writer's block.
kefkakrazy

Postby Beeskee » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:38 pm

Whew, I'm glad he's okay. :)

kefkakrazy wrote:Apparently he never actually set an Erfworld term for "breast"

... wait, what?
Beeskee

Postby tgriff02 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:22 pm

Beeskee wrote:
kefkakrazy wrote:Apparently he never actually set an Erfworld term for "breast"

... wait, what?

My reaction also, lol. "Where is Banhammer's hand, and what is he doing with it? lmao"
tgriff02

Postby ftl » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:59 pm

ftl
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Beeskee » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:49 pm

Okay, Jillian fans: zip back up, it's not what you think. ;)

Spoiler: show
He needs a term for getting hit in the breast, without calling it 'breast'. (or "booby", "titty", etc)

I submitted my suggestion there.
Beeskee

Postby junovalkyrie » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:19 am

Why, bweast, of course!

Or perhaps they could be considered another form of "heroine buds".
junovalkyrie

Postby Finn MacCool » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:40 pm

or "boops".^^
Finn MacCool

Postby gameboy1234 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:58 am

I realize this thread is old, but I thought I'd point out that there's an RSS feed on the site. When the front page updates, you can be notified. Mine integrates with my email reader (Thunderbird) and pops up a message just like when I get email. So I don't have to check the site for updates.

I have the update rate set pretty low (in Thunderbird) so I get it after half an hour to one hour, but I don't have to check manually. Pretty convenient.
"Do it?" Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome?

I did it thirty-five minutes ago.

gameboy1234
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby C9H20 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:26 am

Well this will probably sound arrogant from a newcomer (though I've lurked for far, far longer) but I am really disappointed with the abysmal update speed.

Can't Rob just get one more artist if it is the art that is slowing everything down? Or several artists? As many as needed until the art matches his writing speed.

I wouldn't be complaining if the comic wasn't so bloody awesome that I check for updates several times a week even though I know I am highly unlikely to find anything, so either make the comic worse so that I don't care as much or give us faster updates! :P
C9H20

Postby ftl » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:20 am

C9H20 wrote:make the comic worse

I vote against this plan!
ftl
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby frei » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:36 am

Rob has tried hiring additional artists semirecently, and it didn't work out.

The updates aren't so bad right now. What is it, about once a week or so, alternating book 0 and book 2?

Anyway, the cycle seems to be:

1) the update schedule and/or plot pacing slow down to create a truly painful crawl
2) Rob realizes that it's become too bad and scrambles to get everything back on track
3) he creates a schedule that seems reasonable to us in our ignorance and/or entitlement, but is actually hellaciously stressful on the writer and/or artist, such that if anything at all goes wrong the delays are going to pile up at an ever-increasing rate
4) for a while things are fine
5) something goes wrong
6) goto 1

Maybe we should lower our expectations a bit?
frei

Postby bladestorm » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:59 am

Somewhere there was a post wherein Rob described a format change that should speed things up. As I remember it, it would only be two drawn images, and blocks of text, putting it somewhere in between the text updates and the full blown comic update. We wouldn't get as much meatiness as we do in full text updates, nor would we get panel after panel of wonderful art, but we would get an increased update schedule that wouldn't be horrendous to maintain. If I get a chunk of time to dig around for it, I'll link to where Rob discussed this.
bladestorm

Postby frei » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:14 pm

frei

Postby Dirili » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:56 pm

To everyone not happy with the update schedule:

First: Erfworld has been a mess ever since they started their new book, so don't waste your time waiting and hoping that it's going to get better. It didn't the last few...what, years? So it won't tomorrow. Spare yourself the disappointment.
Second: I know it's not going to be very satisfying, but I suggest move to on and only drop by once every two or three month. Worst case, you lose interest. Best case, you get at a bunch of new strips to enjoy.
Dirili

Postby Beeskee » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:36 pm

I understand this is essentially a free comic* and we just have to deal with any delays.

That being said, this is how I feel when there's no update:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXtPhRGikF8

Then I go re-read the archive. Again. Sorry about the bandwidth bill btw. :D

* I know there's the tool signup stuff, I was signed up with that until I couldn't afford it due to RL. (I can afford it now, and I offered to sign back up again and pay whatever I missed, just haven't heard back yet.) And there's books, I bought those too :) but the online comic itself is free if you can't/won't pay for it.
Beeskee

Next

Return to Everything Else Erfworld