Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 062

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 062

Postby Chit Rule Railroad » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:29 pm

Castamir wrote:There's no hint whatsoever that the shoes affect more than one unit. No other arkentool or magic item does that (empowering an area spell, or veiling an unit from the sight of many doesn't count). I'm not saying that's not possible, just that the update said "you" rather than "your stack".

It was foolamancy, so may not match what is actually possible, but Jack depicted the Hammer enabling Stanley to fly with Jack.

Jinren wrote:1: it's awfully convenient that Wanda and Charlie's tools should match their discipline so perfectly, when Stanley has no specific magic discipline and we don't know about Judy, calling into question whether a match is required for attunement (if it is, Jetstone evidently didn't know about that, since nothing about any of the princes matches up with Wanda's eventual use of the Pliers);

Judy's match with a transportation item could be her status as an outworlder. That doesn't mean that any outworlder will attune, just as being a croakamancer is not necessarily sufficient for attunement to the Pliers, but it might mean that outworlders like Parson are the best candidates for Shoe attunement. (I wonder if Judy conquered Charlie's city, in spite of liking him, because she wanted the Arkenshoes that he had thought he would attune to but didn't.)
Chit Rule Railroad
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby WarFAN » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:54 pm

tgriff02 wrote:
splintermute wrote:Is Orwell the worst Lookamancer ever, or was he in on the plan?

Here we have a unit whose primary power is to observe things, and who should be able to see through Foolamancy, who is ostensibly newly loyal to Olive. He has to have seen through Jack's distraction/illusion/whatever and known about the Chillaxe switch - if not, then Lookamancy, as a discipline, is useless - but didn't warn her. I think his purpose was to lull Olive into a false sense of security - with a Lookamancer on her side, any threat from a Foolamancer would be neutralized, so she might drop her guard around Jack.

I rather think that it was Orwell and Banhammer who dropped their guard. Olive has offered Loj everything he could possibly dream of as far as dealing witht he fall of Faq is concerned. Now, maybe she really DOES want to conquer Erf for peace, maybe she's just stringing him along. Either way, she showed him what he wanted to see and the bait was just too tantilizing to pass up. Banhammer and Orwell both were totally convinced of the wisdom, no more like the NEED, to have everyone turn to Haffaton. I think that in their arrogance and self-importance neither ever dreamed they migh tbe wrong, or that anyone else in the court might disagree. Banhammer certainly would never expect outright undermining and rebellion from within his own ranks, outisde Jillian of course. I think it just never occured to them that Jack WOULD do anything other than blindly follow his King.

Very interesting thoughts. I agree with you about Loj Foolhammer xropping the guard, but I will wait before sayint anything about the Lookamancer. It is not possible for FAQ to survive so long if Jillian and Jack are the only sane persons in there.

By the way, I only see a possible way for Olive's survival: Surrendering herself to Foolhammer *fast*.
WarFAN

Postby cheeseaholic » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:08 pm

I'd just like to note that if the shoes send you to your friends that Charlie might have the arkenshoes now.
cheeseaholic

Postby niklinna » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:33 pm

http://www.erfworld.com/2010/02/book-2-–-page-20/

In panel 4, Jillian refers to "the fourth Arkentool", even though we've now seen that she knows (or at least knew) their proper name. If she does remember them later, wouldn't she just say "the Arkenshoes"?
niklinna
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby Glome » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:41 pm

niklinna wrote:http://www.erfworld.com/2010/02/book-2-–-page-20/

In panel 4, Jillian refers to "the fourth Arkentool", even though we've now seen that she knows (or at least knew) their proper name. If she does remember them later, wouldn't she just say "the Arkenshoes"?

She wouldn't if Rob Balder was trying to avoid revealing what the fourth arkentool is before now.
Glome

Postby CelebrenIthil » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:42 am

niklinna wrote:http://www.erfworld.com/2010/02/book-2-–-page-20/

Maybe there is foreshadowing of a very real reason for that in Judy's line: “Okay, let’s do it,” said Judy loudly, commanding the attention of all in the room. “If this is goodbye, then don’t remember me fondly. Don’t remember me at all. Forget me fondly, haha! I’ve had enough of this rainbow boop.”

Also, random thought: Judy is Erf-sized. We always assumed that Erfworders were smaller than people from Stupidworld/Reality, but maybe the truth is that Parson's size was altered when Stanley commanded Wanda to "Just make him BIG okay?" as she was casting the summoning spell.
My Dwagons!
Red: Kelvin Yellow: Newton Green: Langmuir Blue: Ampere Purple: Decibel Pink: Pascal
build6 wrote:It's true, we're all gay for Tramennis, even if we're straight :-)
CelebrenIthil
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby TheMutant » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:11 am

CelebrenIthil wrote:Also, random thought: Judy is Erf-sized. We always assumed that Erfworders were smaller than people from Stupidworld/Reality, but maybe the truth is that Parson's size was altered when Stanley commanded Wanda to "Just make him BIG okay?" as she was casting the summoning spell.

My thought on that was that it could be Signamancy at work. Judy's surely been in Erfworld a long time, and considered it her home- natural Signamancy seems to boil down to 'you look like what you are', what with Stanley being pint-sized and particularly cartoonish, Jillian's appearance changing slightly (as noticed by Vinny) as she takes on the responsibilities of ruling Faq, Slately looking fat and pompous... So perhaps, in feeling she was home, forming emotional bonds with other Erfworlders, Judy became Erf-scale and the like accordingly. Maybe we'll see such changes in Parson eventually (though he'll surely remain a Heavy).

Or your thought could be right. :>
Join the Erflings fanart gallery on DeviantArt!

Sixty wrote:Obviously the mystery caster has no particular feelings one way or the other about Parson, he simply heard "cue the Benny Hill music" and gave chase, compelled to do so by forces outside his control.
TheMutant
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!

Postby MonteCristo » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:21 am

TheMutant wrote:
CelebrenIthil wrote:Also, random thought: Judy is Erf-sized. We always assumed that Erfworders were smaller than people from Stupidworld/Reality, but maybe the truth is that Parson's size was altered when Stanley commanded Wanda to "Just make him BIG okay?" as she was casting the summoning spell.

My thought on that was that it could be Signamancy at work. Judy's surely been in Erfworld a long time, and considered it her home- natural Signamancy seems to boil down to 'you look like what you are', what with Stanley being pint-sized and particularly cartoonish, Jillian's appearance changing slightly (as noticed by Vinny) as she takes on the responsibilities of ruling Faq, Slately looking fat and pompous... So perhaps, in feeling she was home, forming emotional bonds with other Erfworlders, Judy became Erf-scale and the like accordingly. Maybe we'll see such changes in Parson eventually (though he'll surely remain a Heavy).

The thought did just occur; that if Judy did indeed get her appearance altered by staying in erfworld, that would mean she was taller when she first arrived... meaning when she first arrived in erfworld, all of the residents to her would look like munchkins to her... its just yet another oz reference.
MonteCristo
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby Glome » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:23 am

TheMutant wrote:

Or your thought could be right. :>

More likely it's the explanation that was brought up when it was first postulated that Judy was from Stupidworld, namely that in the Wizard of Oz, Dorothy was a child when she was blown to Oz. If the parallel follows here and Judy came to Erfworld as a kid, she would have been erfworlder size already, and simply hasn't grown since then even if her signamancy makes her appear older. Of course that raises the question of how tall she will be when she gets back to Stupidworld.
Glome

Postby balder » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:08 am

Jade wrote:Hello, I joined the forums after lurking for so long to say: I imagine Judy sounding exactly like Phyllis Diller. That is all.

Okay I almost never respond in a Reactions thread, but I have to say...that is exactly how she sounds in my head, too. :D
balder

Postby Arky » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:31 am

WarFAN wrote:By the way, I only see a possible way for Olive's survival: Surrendering herself to Foolhammer *fast*.

I suspect Jillian would still be able to slay a unit on her own side if she perceived it to be for the good of the side (and it would be).

The only real possible way for Olive to survive here is for Banhammer to command Jillian and Wanda to stop (and I'm pretty sure Jillian at least could do a Caesar and disobey even at the risk of being disbanded herself). I don't think Banhammer is quite far enough gone to disband Jillian and Wanda on the spot (which is actually the only real possible way). I suppose Olive could theoretically cast a single-target peace spell on Jillian and Wanda the way we have seen Janis do, even without the Chillaxe, but probably not fast enough. Wanda should be queuing up her best attack spell even as Jillian smashed the Chillaxe. After all, she premeditated this turn of events.

Let's face it, Olive is about to finally get her comeuppance, Haffaton will cease and the loose ends (such as discovering that this was actually the guild of hippiemancers' first attempt at a Stupidworlder-led Peace On Erf strategy, destroyed because Olive in her cruelty and arrogance imprisoned her Stupidworlder and burned off her creative casters and tried to go it alone.. leading the hippiemancers to try again with a death caster as the stupidworlder's #1 instead of alifecaster) will be tied up.

I wonder if Rob will do another prequel story when this is over, or whether the text updates will revert to being part of the "main" story. I have to admit that in the past few months the prequel story has actually become the one which I've had the most anticipation about! And that's despite my long-time disdain for the Jillian character. I'd love to see another one.
Arky

Postby Wachman » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:48 am

Six pages and nobody has seemed to raise the obvious conspiracy.

JUDY IS PARSON'S MOM, or grandmother, or great grandmother, or something.
Wachman

Postby Silverhorn » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:21 am

One other thing points towards the Archenshoes granting move off-turn. The power that Judy used, the "Go Home Power", worked off-turn.
Silverhorn

Postby mortissimus » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:10 am

Wachman wrote:Six pages and nobody has seemed to raise the obvious conspiracy.

Oh, someone has because I have read it before. Though the actions in book zero are at the most a couple of years (Erftime) from book one.

Unless, there is something weird going on with the time. In which case Judy is not only Parson's mother, Charlie is the proud father. But Charlie is still in Erfworld. Which means Parson was conceived inside Erfworld and Judy did buds during the pregnancy. Making Parson a bud-baby. And the scroll will take him 'home' to the bud garden in old Haffaton where he will start a new side, find the preserved corpse of Olive and have Wanda decrypt her so she can make more buds. And book three shall be named "The war on buds".

Or not.
mortissimus

Postby kiyote » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:19 am

Or there's a mechanic to demote Stupidworlders from heavy, like there's a mechanic to promote Hobgobwins to heavy. Could be Judy was demoted to save on upkeep by the Wizard of Charlescomm.

balder wrote:Okay I almost never respond in a Reactions thread, but I have to say...that is exactly how she sounds in my head, too. :D

I love how Rob says just enough to show that he actually listens to all of this insanity. ;-)
kiyote
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby ryanroyce » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:23 am

So when Jack casts the Scroll on Parson to get him out of the Inferno, Parson must then find Judy (or her decendent) in Kansas and ask her for the Arkenshoes so he can come back to Erfworld and save the day somehow.

This would also let Parson's old gaming group reappear, which was foretold long, long ago.
ryanroyce
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby drachefly » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:53 am

Kaed wrote:Shame about the Arkenshoes... infinite move. Hmmm hmm. That might explain how Olive was able to reach Jillian regardless of her scooting around on Crapsack.

Doubtful. Both Olive AND Judy attuned?
drachefly

Postby multilis » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:50 am

drachefly wrote:
Kaed wrote:Shame about the Arkenshoes... infinite move. Hmmm hmm. That might explain how Olive was able to reach Jillian regardless of her scooting around on Crapsack.

Doubtful. Both Olive AND Judy attuned?

Insufficient info to even say doubtful, imo. We simply don't know.

It is possible that all royals can't attune which helps compensate for their advantages, and rest can attune to at least one tool but rarely get chance to try.

In Wizard of oz, at least 2 witches and Dorothy could probably use the shoes.

Not attuned shoes might also grant some bonus, such as doubling ones move.

If one could attune both shoe and hammer at same time would make finding feral dragons much easier.
multilis

Postby Ambug666 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:18 pm

Wachman wrote:Six pages and nobody has seemed to raise the obvious conspiracy.

Except me, in the middle of page four. Go take a look.
Ambug666

Postby Tathar » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:13 pm

derfy wrote:
There was a small clap of thunder, as if the air where Judy was standing had slammed together and made her implode. Pieces clattered to the marble floor: the tiara, the anklet, the broomstick staff...

But not the shoes.

Am I reading this wrong? Does '...not the shoes.' mean they're gone?

It means that the shoes didn't disappear, so they're free for Parson to eventually attune to and use.
Beeskee wrote:I was reluctant to assume Charlie was the Wizard, since it seems like if a butterfly farts in an unmapped hex, we're all ready to assume it's somehow part of Charlie's grand schemes to control the wind or whatever.
Tathar
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions