Page by page discussion of the comic.

Book 2 - Klog 5

Postby balder » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:47 am

New One is up.
balder

Re: Book 2 - Klog 5

Postby the_tick_rules » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:55 am

A foreshadow of Jetstone's fate?
I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.
the_tick_rules

Postby cloudbreaker » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:13 am

Lots of interesting information here. I wonder just how much of it will be applied to their situation.
Bored? Read The Adventured of Melissa Ray. An Erfworld fanfic. comment here

Or A Tale From Traz. (Now complete!). comment here.
cloudbreaker

Postby Umbrella_merc » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:13 am

Only a Dirtamancer can put out an inferno Hmmm?

I"m thinking that might be foreshadowing Sizemore having to make the decision to come in to extinguish the fire to save our good Parsons life over abiding by MK neutrality, looking forward to seeing where the fight goes one way or the other
Umbrella_merc
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby Dancing Cthulhu » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:19 am

Nasty business that. Effective, but nasty. I agree with Parsons "pretty horrible how it played out". And Wanda's outfit looks kind of familiar (the colour and pattern on it), but I can't place it. Belongs to a villainous character?

And so it appears for Parson now the question is whether they can take control of the area fast enough to have a chance of stopping the fire from becoming an inferno. If not Parson and Jack are presumably going to be trying to escape the fire into whatever frying pan Charlie has awaiting.

Unless Charlie expected the fire, in which case he might be hoping Parson dies in it, unable to evacuate out of the inferno via the MK if Slately succeeds.
And so my time with the Tardy Elves draws to a close, and I am let to ponder how the experience will... eh, I'll finish later. No need to rush.
Dancing Cthulhu

Postby Dancing Cthulhu » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:25 am

Umbrella_merc wrote:Only a Dirtamancer can put out an inferno Hmmm?

I"m thinking that might be foreshadowing Sizemore having to make the decision to come in to extinguish the fire to save our good Parsons life over abiding by MK neutrality, looking forward to seeing where the fight goes one way or the other

He doesn't have long, depending on how all the different locations times are lining up. Slately can't be far from his throne, and look how long it took Parson to get there. Someone would have to go back (Jack or Parson), let Sizemore know and then hopefully get him back without any resistance before the portal closes. Seems that if at this stage they are thinking of going back to the MK again the safest option would be to just retreat permanently (which wouldn't win them the ruins or save what's left of GKs forces there, but Jack and Parson would be alive).
And so my time with the Tardy Elves draws to a close, and I am let to ponder how the experience will... eh, I'll finish later. No need to rush.
Dancing Cthulhu

Postby Hatu » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:20 am

Interesting stuff. But I thought incinerated units couldn't be decrypted. That was the explanation for Bogroll, no?

-H
Hatu
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Lamech » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:26 am

Interesting. So what have we learned here?

Hexes can be ashified. Structures can be destroyed. I wonder if they can be built or planted as well? Fires are dangerous as all hell, and if something isn't done soon Parson is going to die.

Also infernos are nasty. If you have fire units they can set something on fire and burn the whole hex. They can even make fires which the enemies have to put out or lose against.

Bright point, infernos only come from "uncontrolled fires", so if Parson acts quick enough he won't need Sizemore.

However, the only way I see this ending is a new portal being formed and Sizemore getting in. All signs point to Jetstone being the birth place of a new side.

Hatu wrote:Interesting stuff. But I thought incinerated units couldn't be decrypted. That was the explanation for Bogroll, no?

-H
Bog roll was also torn to pieces. And specifically targeted. I think he is a special case.
Lamech

Postby slb » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:29 am

Dancing Cthulhu wrote:Nasty business that. Effective, but nasty. I agree with Parsons "pretty horrible how it played out". And Wanda's outfit looks kind of familiar (the colour and pattern on it), but I can't place it. Belongs to a villainous character?
No idea about the inspiration, but it had already been featured in a summer update (nice consistency Xin)

Dancing Cthulhu wrote:And so it appears for Parson now the question is whether they can take control of the area fast enough to have a chance of stopping the fire from becoming an inferno. If not Parson and Jack are presumably going to be trying to escape the fire into whatever frying pan Charlie has awaiting.
Unless Charlie expected the fire, in which case he might be hoping Parson dies in it, unable to evacuate out of the inferno via the MK if Slately succeeds.
This option would at least explain why he wanted so much the portal to close right behind Parson, because we all know that anyway Parson would be cut from the Magic kingdom once he seize control of the garrison (town is no more capital => no more portal). However that would suppose that Charlie already knew that Sylvia would put the garrison on fire and that seems even more unlikely, he's not reading her mind AFAIK.
slb
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!

Postby mortissimus » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:06 am

Hatu wrote:Interesting stuff. But I thought incinerated units couldn't be decrypted. That was the explanation for Bogroll, no?

I think Bogroll was incinerated to stop speculation about regeneration, though regeneration was later retconned to fabrication. Bogroll could not be decrypted to teach Parson a lesson about the value of life and orders and such, no I mean because Bogroll was in to small pieces after the incineration and vulcano and all.
mortissimus

Postby mortissimus » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:08 am

Don't see why they let the prisoners burn. From the Ossomer decryption, apparently you get XP from executing prisoners so that letting them burn means less leveling for other units.
mortissimus

Postby peteratjet » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:36 am

Calling Sizemore ...

I wonder if Charlie has been subtly influencing Sylvia's thought processes, somehow, nudging her to set fire to the city in order to setup the trap for Parson. She's already a firebug, so it wouldn't take much. He could have put a hook into back in her Unaroyal days, her when she was "cured".
peteratjet

Postby Dancing Cthulhu » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:11 am

-H

Maybe it depends on the type of fire? Bogroll, original Slately - they were already dead, then further action was taken to destroy the remains (by Parson's distinction using controlled fire). In Bogroll's case to stop regen/out of anger, in Slately's case to put him beyond decryption. Or destroying a body permanently requires an actual action to do, if that isn't done the body isn't gone regardless of how it croaked. So having a beast, like a dwagon, eating them. Or cremating them, or tearing them to pieces.

Units croaked in a fire are just croaked in a fire (like Wanda was able to decrypt all those guys and girls roasted in the volcano eruption), presumably leaving burnt corpses but not destroying them completely (unless someone does that later)
Dancing Cthulhu

Postby MarbitChow » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:27 am

It wasn't the manner of Bogroll's death that prevented him from decryption. Archons were incinerated when the volcano blew, and were decrypted successfully.

Bogroll couldn't be decrypted because after he died, the enemy claimed his corpse and destroyed it.
MarbitChow

Postby bladestorm » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:51 am

Charlie's Rule #9: If they swing, make them miss. If they flee, make them run somewhere worse. If they just stand there, pull the rug out from under them.

Units caught in an inferno are forced to flee or burn up. So what does Charlie have set up that will be worse than the fire?

Also, Sizemore now has a LOT more potential, and is even more useful for a side.
bladestorm

Postby effataigus » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:59 am

Fire rules sound suspiciously like fire behavior in real life.

mortissimus wrote:Don't see why they let the prisoners burn. From the Ossomer decryption, apparently you get XP from executing prisoners so that letting them burn means less leveling for other units.
Good point.
Last edited by effataigus on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:31 am, edited 239044 times in total.
effataigus

Postby name lips » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:29 am

Mentioning Dirtamancy in the Klog seems like foreshadowing that Sizemore is going to become directly involved. He is right on the other side of the portal, after all, so until it's actually closed, he could join the scene.

The "new Side" speculation is interesting. But I always thought it would be Wanda starting a new side (I thought having her own livery for her decrypted units was a hint). But Wanda is not there. So are we speculating that Parson would split off and start his own Side? Or perhaps that Wanda and Sizemore will return together?

We are also forgetting Stanley. Last we saw, he seems to have shaken off Maggie's suggestion spell. He has the capacity to screw up almost any plan.
name lips

Postby Oberon » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:38 am

Bogroll was put to the torch by RCC units. This deliberate burning could be mechanically different than a unit simply being burned to death. As born out by the other burned RCC units plus Charlie's archons being able to be decrypted even though they were killed by the heat and fires of the volcano erupting.
mortissimus wrote:Don't see why they let the prisoners burn. From the Ossomer decryption, apparently you get XP from executing prisoners so that letting them burn means less leveling for other units.
They were prisoners with move. If ordered to exit the city they could have scattered in attempts to escape, which would either have lost GK units or caused them to spend a lot of time rounding up escapees. I'm just wondering why they couldn't move out of the city without orders in the first place. Leaving the city could be considered an attempt to escape, and that is a prisoners duty.
How using capslock wins arguments:
Zeroberon wrote:So we know with 100% certainty that THIS IS HOW TRI-LINKS WORK, PERIOD END OF STORY.
Oberon

Postby Kaed » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:40 am

Does that mean there are fire traps? And that dirtamancers can throw fireballs?
UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.
Kaed
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby MarbitChow » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:45 am

Kaed wrote:Does that mean there are fire traps? And that dirtamancers can throw fireballs?

I doubt they can throw fireballs, but we already knew there were fire traps.
MarbitChow

Next

Return to Reactions