Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 058

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 058

Postby C9H20 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:48 pm

Smurfton wrote:
tgriff02 wrote:If you can work out what Haffaton is a pun on, though, do tell.

I would say drug addiction, as in huff a ton <of drugs>

Also in regards to Predictamancy's tactical value... we don't know nothing about it. It is possible, that Predictamancy is nearly useless in battle. But consider the futile air defense Haffaton engaged in, to me that says that Jack provided the decoys but it was Marie who predicted which ones will be hit, and more importantly which ones won't. If I had to describe this as a mechanic AKA a Rule of Erfworld I would say that predictamancers can see the small things that will happen in the near future, but can also see big things, important things, which have a very high probability of happening (Fate) even for distant futures.

This is also in line with what we know of Delphie Temple I think, she feared the fact that she had no fate and so manipulated her ruler to keep her out of combat, so she couldn't make battlefield predictions but also wasn't likely to die. Of course this does not prove my theory, all it proves is the fact that we don't know that much of Predictamancy, but it does give it strength.
C9H20

Postby Housellama » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:01 pm

C9H20 wrote:
Smurfton wrote:
tgriff02 wrote:If you can work out what Haffaton is a pun on, though, do tell.

I would say drug addiction, as in huff a ton <of drugs>

Big trucks are also called half-tons. Being as Haffaton is huge, I'm certain something can be worked out there.
"All warfare is based on deception" - Sun Tzu, Chapter 1, Line 18, The Art of War

"The principle of strategy is to know ten thousand things by having one thing." - Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Earth, Go Rin No Sho
Housellama
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby (name here) » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:11 pm

Banhammer might be a pacifist, but I doubt he's an idiot. He won't be planning to find a way to attack Haffaton, but I don't think he'll be easy to outmaneuver even given his susceptibility to flattery and excessive faith in human decency. Among other things, unlike Jillian, Wanda, Tommy, and everyone else who has gotten completely outmaneuvered by Olive, it's probable that the philosopher-king of a caster-rich pacifist state might know something about Hippiemancy.

Really, the running theme of Book 0 of no one really paying much attention to casting except within their discipline has seriously soured my opinion of the competence of all involved.
(name here)

Postby No one in particular » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:42 pm

C9H20 wrote:Also in regards to Predictamancy's tactical value... we don't know nothing about it. It is possible, that Predictamancy is nearly useless in battle.

Er... not true. Like, at all. We know more than a few things about about it, and it's actually incredibly useful in battle.

There's a pretty thorough demonstration of Predictamancy in action in IPTSF Text 20.
Rob in IPTSF 20 wrote:It amounted to the caster using her juice to see things happen a second or two ahead, so that she could aim where the enemy would be, and to move where the enemy's return blows and arrows would not land.
[...]
Most importantly to this plan, a Predictamancer could know whether or not a shot or blow she was about to initiate would be a hit. If it wouldn't, then she simply did not take the shot.

Really, it's same dilemma faced by every caster. They can do some REALLY impressive things in combat, but they don't give leadership bonuses & are really costly if lost. It's not just Delphie & Firebaugh, no Ruler sends their casters out. There's a reason it was such a big deal that Slately sent the Ditto-, Doll- and Healomancer out to Exposition Bridge at the start of LIAB.
"Are you always so pessimistic?"
"Not at all. I saved it for my last battle."
---
Got questions? Ask Count Downer!
No one in particular

Postby Vreejack » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:17 am

Housellama wrote:
C9H20 wrote:I would say drug addiction, as in huff a ton <of drugs>

Big trucks are also called half-tons. Being as Haffaton is huge, I'm certain something can be worked out there.

You have never heard the expression to "come down on you like half a ton of bricks" ? It seems to suit Haffaton very well.
So...Watashi wa mizugorō ga sukina koto o kiita, neh?
A Prediction is what would have happened had there been no Prediction. What is scary is that they are also what will happen in spite of the Prediction.
Vreejack

Postby Kreistor » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:31 am

MonteCristo wrote:Ya i'm not expecting things to go down this way... The most telling thing I feel is that Haffaton will fall and the fated prediction that Jillian will be the one to croak Haffaton's ruler;

Good, someone else isn't ignoring that prophecy. But going to throw a curveball at your prediction here:

Olive is inviting them most likely with the full intention of finding a good chance to croak them all; Banhammer the peacemaker, not so much.

No, I don't think she would. Not that many casters devoted to peace. She may have had to resort to non-peaceful means, but she probably still has that bit of idealism that set her on the path to Peace through War. She can't absorb everyone -- the schmucker cost is too high. But there is power before her that she may be able to subvert into her service. But... there is another reason to bring in Banhammer, alive, and talking. He can do something she wants.

Banhammer can order Jillian to kill Judy, and end the prophecy. That, I think, is Olive's goal in these discussions. And she can let them all go free, if that is achieved. Even Jillian. She'll conquer them later.
http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/TBFGK_1 Here you can find all comic pages written as text for convenient quoting.

http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/Erfworld_Mechanics The starting page for accessing all known Erfworld "rules".
Kreistor

Postby slb » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:54 pm

sanjmerchant wrote:Still a little woozy from that lojban pun.
Which one ?
slb
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby effataigus » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:33 pm

First things first... nice catch, Berserkas.

Second, a quick list of a couple ways that Faq has open to them of getting rid of various people despite the Chillaxe:
1. Poison... if nothing else, they could force a flower OD.
2. Upkeep... if indeed Haffaton is footing the bill. Personally, I think Banhammer is too honest to harm Haffaton this way... since it would involve lying to himself about whether this constitutes violence, and also gives Haffaton plenty of time to flood the city with units and let the Chillaxe expire.
3. Capture and move... trees can capture units by encasing them without "engaging"... well, we've see another unit do something similar once (to Ansom), and Faq happens to have a bunch of those units on hand. Smoosh, move, squish, done. Even if that special of megalogwiffs' would constitute an engagement... hover, harvest, smoosh (a la Ansom's Spidew).
4. Shoes... assuming these can be used to send Judy home.
5. Bore to death... Banhammer's specialty.
6*. Drachefly (possibly quoting someone else): foolamancy false-floor.
7. Anyone else have ideas?

*Edited
Last edited by effataigus on Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Last edited by effataigus on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:31 am, edited 239044 times in total.
effataigus

Postby drachefly » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:53 pm

Ideas? What was said before - that floor over there is an Illusion.

slb wrote:
sanjmerchant wrote:Still a little woozy from that lojban pun.
Which one ?

Loj Banhammer
drachefly

Postby Jinren » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:51 pm

tgriff02 wrote:
HandofShadows wrote:
Berserkas wrote:On the archway, right above Olive's head...

Skull wtih Hero buds. That's Wanda's symbol that she uses on the livery of the Decrypted....

I bet this has no actual meaning or implications, but it's an odd oversight to make anyway. :P After all, Efbaum is supposedly kept exactly the way Haffaton conquered it... why add that symbol to the tower?

What if that symbol wasn't added at a later date? And I suspect it is not an oversite. Good eye on catching that.

I agree, it probably wasn't a mistake, and good catch, I missed itt otally until it was pointed out. Natural Signamancyof some sort maybe? Haffaton seems to have the total aura of being the biggest oak tree in the forest that looks impregnable, but is totally rotten inside and constantly on the verge of collapse

Did we decide earlier that units can only equip one hat item? (And that the buds are native to Efbaum rather than a later import by Olive.)

If so, I'd read it as a warning: three buds equipped on one head is a nice visual shorthand for "too many", resulting in death, or possibly the destruction of a side.
Jinren

Postby RichMan » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:40 pm

Jinren wrote:On the archway, right above Olive's head...

Skull wtih Hero buds. That's Wanda's symbol that she uses on the livery of the Decrypted....

If so, I'd read it as a warning: three buds equipped on one head is a nice visual shorthand for "too many", resulting in death, or possibly the destruction of a side.

The symbol might be from before the flowers were modified to their current nature. Just a field full of dead or a memory of someone fallen.
RichMan

Postby drachefly » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:10 am

Jinren wrote:Did we decide earlier that units can only equip one hat item? (And that the buds are native to Efbaum rather than a later import by Olive.)

Given the huge load of gear Parson's wearing, I'm going with 'no'.
drachefly

Postby NYbear » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:22 am

drachefly wrote:
Jinren wrote:Did we decide earlier that units can only equip one hat item? (And that the buds are native to Efbaum rather than a later import by Olive.)

Given that in all that gear we see only 1 head item/hat being worn by Parson- we can't say for sure one way or the other. However, since all previous images/descriptions have shown only 1 head item at a time being worn, it's like that yes only 1 head item can be equipped/worn at a time.
NYbear

Postby effataigus » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:42 am

Jinren wrote:Did we decide earlier that units can only equip one hat item?

Don't recall earlier discussion, but I think this rule is a reasonable conclusion from Ansom and Jillian's exchange about her taking the hat vs. the helmet at the beginning of book 1... also, the rule fits with what we know about both reality and games (munchkin cheat cards aside).
Last edited by effataigus on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:31 am, edited 239044 times in total.
effataigus

Postby drachefly » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:26 pm

NYbear wrote:
drachefly wrote:

Given that in all that gear we see only 1 head item/hat being worn by Parson- we can't say for sure one way or the other. However, since all previous images/descriptions have shown only 1 head item at a time being worn, it's like that yes only 1 head item can be equipped/worn at a time.

Somehow my eyes skipped over 'hat'. In that case, I suspect 'yes', but perhaps it'd be possible to combine certain hats, like the lobot gear with a skullcap.
drachefly

Postby Salem » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:31 pm

effataigus wrote:

Don't recall earlier discussion, but I think this rule is a reasonable conclusion from Ansom and Jillian's exchange about her taking the hat vs. the helmet at the beginning of book 1... also, the rule fits with what we know about both reality and games (munchkin cheat cards aside).

I would say it does not line up with our knowledge of reality but fits our knowledge of almost all games. I have in fact worn more than one hat at once, granted I only recieved the magical properties of the first I put on.

drachefly wrote:Somehow my eyes skipped over 'hat'. In that case, I suspect 'yes', but perhaps it'd be possible to combine certain hats, like the lobot gear with a skullcap.

Or a regular hat with a tiny hat on top of it.
"Too cute to (stay) croak(ed)!"
Salem
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!

Postby youngstormlord » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:19 pm

Well, I certainly didn't expect THAT! Now I can't wait for the next update...
Don't click on this link, you might feel cheated if you do.
Hint:
Spoiler: show
It's my fanfiction. :)

My erf PC game (first test version): Jack Attack Update: Gone after fall of megaupload. Update2: Uploaded again on another hosting. Give it a go.
youngstormlord
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby drachefly » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:43 pm

Salem wrote:
effataigus wrote:

I would say it does not line up with our knowledge of reality but fits our knowledge of almost all games. I have in fact worn more than one hat at once, granted I only recieved the magical properties of the first I put on.

This is also shown by almost all console RPGs - you wear armor, and you wear your clothing over your armor. You may also wear your wig over your helmet, I guess.
drachefly

Postby Salem » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:51 pm

drachefly wrote:This is also shown by almost all console RPGs - you wear armor, and you wear your clothing over your armor. You may also wear your wig over your helmet, I guess.

Hair Extensions + Anything = Aweful + Anything
Toupée + Hairpin = Awesome
Hair Scrunchy/Bow + Helmet = Lenneth

Definetly betting only one headgear per character. Though for all we know there will be a mad hatamancer who will have a spell that lets him wear hats within hats. But I could see wig and hat as a reasonable real life combo.
"Too cute to (stay) croak(ed)!"
Salem

Postby bladestorm » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:14 pm

Salem wrote:
drachefly wrote:This is also shown by almost all console RPGs - you wear armor, and you wear your clothing over your armor. You may also wear your wig over your helmet, I guess.

Hair Extensions + Anything = Aweful + Anything
Toupée + Hairpin = Awesome
Hair Scrunchy/Bow + Helmet = Lenneth

Definetly betting only one headgear per character. Though for all we know there will be a mad hatamancer who will have a spell that lets him wear hats within hats. But I could see wig and hat as a reasonable real life combo.

Or sunglasses, earrings, nose stud, baseball cap, hoodie, bluetooth, and headphones.
bladestorm

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions