Marbit Island 3 - In the Halls of the Marbit King COMPLETED

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

Re: Marbit Island 3 - In the Halls of the Marbit King

Postby Swodaems » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:25 pm

Werebiscuit wrote:
Swodaems wrote:What are those pots in the Gobwin home hex? How much space would Gobwin bones take up in a bag?

On the subject of the remaining gobwins we know about, we might want to try only doing enough damage to croak the 2 gobwin riders, but not their mounts. Those might be useful to try and tame for ourselves. {Maybe we should try to tame them midbattle. Toss a couple chunks of meat on the field beforehand and see where that gets us.}

I doubt we get the choice...damage appears to be applied randomly.

Actually, it's applied evenly, (whole numbers only with any remainder distributed to a random subgroup of the stack). The gobwins have 4 hits while the ferewolves have 8, so the riders will croak before the mounts do. The trick is to attack with a force that is likely to hit at least 48 in combat and rolls in a single round, but less than either 64, 72, 80 or 96, depending on rules interpretation. (Just realized a few questions I now have.)

LTDave, how does single round damage work when a stack contains units with varying hit points and the units with fewer hits die?
Will the dead units stop sucking up damage after they have run out of hits? (If we do 24 damage, (ignoring def for the question), to the stack of gobwins on ferewolves, would that be 6 damage to all units or 4 on the gobwins and 8 on the wolves?)
Would the stack's average defense change mid-round after the units with less hits recieve enough damage to be killed?

Werebiscuit wrote:So do we stack up and reclaim the home hex ?
there are 3 armed marbits, 4 if pod will come and 5 if Em Fyv also comes along.... who can make it. There is more than enough weaponry & shields to weaponise the NPCs in the hut hex so if 1 player s comes from there bringing weaponiosed NPCs we could have a max stack.

I think we should first try to find and hunt down the mounted gobwins, then return to the home hex after scouting a bit to see if there are any more threats in the valley.

72 hours is longer than usual for us to have to decide and coordinate our actions and we can take advantage of that. We have until 8:25 forum time on the first of the new year to sort out a decent scouting strategy for this turn. We need to find the gobwins before we can hit them. We also need to make sure that we move and end turn in sizeable groups, so the Gobwins can't hurt us freely.

There are 3 hexes we know about where the gobwins could be and maybe a few hexes we don't know about. Entering the hex with 3 spidon'ts to the NE of the gobwin home hex should tell us if there are any unknown hexes or not. (The picture in this post fortunately shows us that there is nothing but valley wall in the hex that is East, NE from the marbit home hex and NE, NW, NW from the gobwin home hex. That means we can test for unknown hexes simply by going NE of the Gobwin home hex.)

Could a couple of the people who don't need to eat this turn in the Gobwin home hex please enter the hex NE of there and scout out its NW, and NE edges, then return to the gobwin home hex? (The East edge is also a possibility as an undiscovered hex, But I think that is an unlikely place for the gobwins to be given their last known position.) We don't know if spidon'ts are aggressive or not, nor do we know if they'll fight as a stack or not, so you may want to order your characters to run back if needed. I would do it myself, but I would have to burn an extra action just to travel.

We should watch the monkey hex to see if the Gobwins move into it. Burning two actions to scout it again this turn seems like a good idea.

Em Fyv, Lucky and Pod should stick together with M15 and M16 for this turn. Whatever we do, we need to do as a group. That way, we can deal with the gobwins if attacked. If we wanted to, we could move as a group NW from where we are and scout the NW (Marbit home), NE (East of Marbit home), and East(monkeys) hexes. But we should go as a group or not at all. We can't afford to leave a single marbit behind. The Ferewolves make the Gobwins too dangerous to fight with only 4.

If we follow this strategy, then the two groups of players should be able to safely find the gobwins this turn and then we can hit them next turn.

LTDave, the rules don't state if a player ordering an NPC has to be in the same hex and I don't remember if that was clarified anywhere. Could I order M11 without paying the additional 4 actions required just to get to him, then get out of the unroaded hex myself? (Maybe at a cost of two actions?)
Swodaems

Postby CroverusRaven » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:27 pm

Guys, as anyone who's ever used a mount can attest, mounts act as a damage soak for you. They effectively add to your health pool. They're pretty much equipment.
CroverusRaven

Postby Lamech » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:30 pm

M3 'tech two' Orders
Join in attack on bears, rest, dig for gems, try and sacrifice a gem to the alter
Lamech

Postby LTDave » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:49 pm

CroverusRaven wrote:Um, so what is up with M18's stats? Did he starve or something, cause you have me controlling M21 now.

Please make it very clear when out guys die cause at this point I'm completely confused as who is what and kind of feel like dropping out cause I can't keep track of what's going on half the time.

Sorry about this one - copy and paste error on my part. Croverus is still controlling M18 - I don't know why I killed him off. Brain is in holiday mode.
LTDave

Postby LTDave » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:57 pm

Swodaems wrote:
LTDave, how does single round damage work when a stack contains units with varying hit points and the units with fewer hits die?
Will the dead units stop sucking up damage after they have run out of hits? (If we do 24 damage, (ignoring def for the question), to the stack of gobwins on ferewolves, would that be 6 damage to all units or 4 on the gobwins and 8 on the wolves?)

Dead units stop sucking damage. So Gobwins 4, then the rest to the mounts. I realise this is not ideal, but its what I'm going with for the rest of this game.

Swodaems wrote:Would the stack's average defense change mid-round after the units with less hits recieve enough damage to be killed?

No. Too complicated.

Swodaems wrote:LTDave, the rules don't state if a player ordering an NPC has to be in the same hex and I don't remember if that was clarified anywhere. Could I order M11 without paying the additional 4 actions required just to get to him, then get out of the unroaded hex myself? (Maybe at a cost of two actions?)

I think you have to be in the same hex to order an NPC.
I'm thinking of simplifying the NPC thing by eliminating them altogether, and simply assigning a new Marbit to players to control automatically. Thoughts on such a change?
LTDave

Postby CroverusRaven » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:12 pm

I approve. NPCs just cause nested orders and other shenanigans. A player wants to join, then a marbit pops for them.
CroverusRaven

Postby Lamech » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:25 pm

But who would I abuse then?
Lamech

Postby LTDave » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:51 am

Apo-logies freends,

While rising from my post XMas stupor to engage with my Children I dropped my laptop from my lap to the floor. The laptop is undamaged, and the USB stick that holds all the data and maps is fine, but the internet dongle I use while on holidays has gone the way of the green skinned lizard things from Marbit Island II.

I have limited access to the 'net as a result, and will not process until I return home in a few days time.

Thanks for your variable levels of understanding.
LTDave

Postby Lamech » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:06 pm

My understanding is only level 2, but I think this has gotten me pretty close to level 3! :)
Lamech

Postby LTDave » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:48 pm

PROCESSING...
LTDave

Postby LTDave » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:19 pm

Combat with ButterBears

5 Marbits, El Tigre 2 Shovels, 1 Sword, 1 Crossbow, 3 Shields, 1 Heavy Armour
21 Defence between 6 units = 3.5
28 Combat +6 d6

2 Butterbears
4 Defence between 2 units = 2
8 Combat +2 d6

Round 1:
Marbits roll 20 + 28 = 48 / 2 = 24 hits inflicted (ButterBears cwoaked)

ButterBears roll 10 + 8 = 18 / 3.5 = 5 hits inflicted

Combat ends.
LTDave

Postby LTDave » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:30 pm

Turn 9
Actions: . . . . .

M13 (M5) Eats Chops large tree (x3) {only 2 wood left in big tree}

M1 "Seymour" 1: Orders M9 to Equip Axe & Shield, Attack Butterbears (plural), Eat, Make Bag from Hide (not sure how many actions equipping takes) 2: Orders M12 to Equip Axe & Shield, Attack Butterbears (plural), Eat, Make Bag from Hide (not sure how many actions equipping takes) 3: Attacks Butterbears (plural) 4: Eat

Random VII gathers food {from where? No bushes with food}, eats {no food} attacks butterbears. {now eats}

M3 'tech two' Orders Join in attack on bears, rest, dig for gems, try and sacrifice a gem to the alter {you mean Altar, right? No effect. Just a big pile'o'rocks}

M4, M7, M15, M16 eat and sing.

M11 eats mushflesh and sings

M18 and M21 eat and sing

Unit Status
Spoiler: show
Name
M1 "Seymour" (MarbitChow) Combat 2, Defence 2 (3), Hits 4 /4, Move 4, Level 1
El Tigre Combat 8, Defence 3, Hits 9 /10, Move 6, Level 1
M2 "Random VII" (KF25) Combat 2, Defence 2, Hits 3 /4, Move 4, Level 1
M3 "tech2" (Lamech) Combat 2, Defence 2, Hits 3 /4, Move 4, Level 1
M4 "Pod" (Swodaems) Combat 2, Defence 2, Hits 4 /4, Move 4, Level 1
M7 "Lucky" (Werebiscuit) Combat 2, Defence 2, Hits 4 /4, Move 4, Level 1
M9 (MarbitChow) Combat 2, Defence 2, Hits 3 /4, Move 4, Level 1
M11 (KF25) Combat 2, Defence 2, Hits 4 /4, Move 4, Level 1
M12 (Lamech) Combat 2, Defence 2, Hits 3 /4, Move 4, Level 1
M13 "Em Fyv" (WhirdCheese) Combat 2, Defence 2, Hits 4 /4, Move 4, Level 1
M15 (Swodaems) Combat 2, Defence 2, Hits 4 /4, Move 4, Level 1
M16 (Werebiscuit) Combat 2, Defence 2, Hits 4 /4, Move 4, Level 1
M18 (CroverusRaven) Combat 2, Defence 2, Hits 4 /4, Move 4, Level 1
M21 (WhirdCheese) Combat 2, Defence 2, Hits 4 /4, Move 4, Level 1
M22 (CroverusRaven) Combat 2, Defence 2, Hits 4 /4, Move 4, Level 1

Equipment List [spoiler]
Sword Weapon, +3 Combat costs: 3 iron
Spear Weapon, +2 Combat costs: 2 wood
Crossbow Weapon, +1 Combat, Ranged costs: 1 wood, 1 iron
Axe Chopping Tool, +2 Combat costs: 1 wood, 1 iron
Shovel Digging Tool, +1 Combat costs: 1 wood
Knife Tool costs: 1/2 wood
Light Armour Armour, +1 Defence costs: 1 Hide
Heavy Armour Armour, +2 Defence costs: 3 iron
Shield Armour, +1 Defence costs: 2 wood
Bag Carries up to 6 small things - food, gems, etc. costs: 1 Hide

Pop Queue
CroverusRaven

Turn 10 Ends in 72 hours, or sooner if everyone posts.

Please put all your orders in Bold, and remember to tell me your Marbit's designation (Mx) and Name if you have one. ALSO IF ALL ORDERS COULD BE WRITTEN IN ONE LINE, this would be helpful in cutting and pasting. Thanks.
All NPCs have now been divided up between players to control automatically - it does not cost an action to give them an order. Please name them, and be sure to be clear with your orders about who does what and when. Thanks.

Things to Note:
J-Raffes (aka OtisNecks) are Combat 0, Defence 1, Hits 8, Move 2.
Testudo Aurbreii (aka VFCs) are Combat 2, Defence 5, Hits 8, Move 2.
Butter Bear are Combat 4, Defence 2, Hits 6, Move 2.
El Tigre are Combat 8, Defence 3, Hits 10, Move 6.
Gobwins are Combat 2, Defence 2, Hits 4, Move 4.
FereWolves are Combat 6, Defence 2, Hits 8, Move 6.

Rules (such as they are)
Marbit Island is a play-by-post game run by me. Each player will be a Marbit, looking to survive and succeed.
Move is the most important stat. It determines the number of actions you can take in a turn - move into other hexes, gather food, cut trees, build, etc.
Post your orders on the forum. For this game, orders will be resolved in the order in which they were posted - no editing of your posts, please!
This gives an advantage to early posters to grab equipment and resources, but allows later posters to know what has happened before they give their orders - so later posters can eat the food others harvest, or use tools they create.
Marbits like to eat. At least once per turn. Marbits do not eat automatically, but must be given an order to eat.
If a Marbit is unable to eat, he will become hungry, and will be marked with a black dot. A hungry Marbit that does not eat will cwoak.
Marbits may hold up to two items in their hands. It takes an action to equip one or more items. Excess items are dropped in the hex.
If the weather turns bad, Marbits will need to take shelter in a hut. A hut can shelter up to six Marbits.
Combat is a dangerous game. Combat plus d6 per fighter divided by enemy defence is hits inflicted. Hits are distributed equally across the stack before any one unit is cwoaked. Defence is calculated by the first 8 units' defence averaged across the whole stack, rounded down to one decimal (so 1 unit with 3 defence has defence of 3, but a stack of 20 units with 3 defence have a defence value of 1.2).
Marbits who do not submit orders within the allotted time will default to eating once, and then singing lewd lyrics drafted into popular musicals.
NPC Marbits may be given orders by Player Marbits. It takes one action to give a set of orders to one NPC. The first player to issue orders to an NPC controls it for that turn (no befriending).
Marbits may "scout" a neighbouring hex for 2 move - essentially, they stick their head over the border, have a look, and then return. At the beginning of the next turn, the scouted hex will be revealed on the map.
It costs 2 move to enter a neighbouring hex, unless the border is marked with a brown line, representing a road. It costs 1 move to enter a hex with along a road.
All the necessary information should be displayed on the map, above. Any questions? Just ask.
LTDave

Postby MarbitChow » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:54 pm

M1 "Seymour" (MarbitChow) Scouts NW x2, Scouts NE x2
M9 "Simon" (MarbitChow) Takes Hide, Makes Bag from Hide, Equips Bag, Fills Bag with 4 Meat
MarbitChow

Postby Lamech » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:30 am

M3 'Tech two' Orders
Eat, rest, head west, dig in the mine
Lamech

Postby CroverusRaven » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:41 am

M18 "Klump" Will take a hide from the butterbears, craft a bag, then head west
M22 "Buddy" Will pick up a spear and a shovel, head west, then dig in the mine x2
CroverusRaven

Postby MarbitChow » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:53 am

(Pst: Lamech - you have 2 marbits under your control now.)
MarbitChow

Postby Lamech » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:39 am

M12 the other guy Orders
Rest, Try to make bones into knives*2 head west
Lamech

Postby KF25 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:10 am

Random VII eats, moves W, and scouts NW.
M11 "Random Henchmarbit eats, moves E, gathers food.
Last edited by KF25 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KF25

Postby WhirdCheese » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:52 pm

M13 (M5) Create shield Equip shield over shovel
M21 (M10) pick up spear Move West Equip shield
Last edited by WhirdCheese on Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WhirdCheese

Postby LTDave » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:01 pm

WhirdCheese wrote:M13 (M5) Create shield (x2) Equip shield over shovel
M21 (M10) pick up spear Move West Equip shield

"Marbits may hold up to two items in their hands. It takes an action to equip one or more items. Excess items are dropped in the hex."
You'll have to drop the shovel to pick up the shield.
LTDave

PreviousNext

Return to Your Games