bonuses?

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

bonuses?

Postby frei » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:52 pm

Do we know whether Parson's bonus is greater than Wanda's artifact/croakamancer/whatever bonuses?

If not I don't understand why he agreed to go in or what going to the MK accomplished.

I haven't been following the forum much recently, so I may have missed something obvious or a discussion about this...
frei

Re: bonuses?

Postby MarbitChow » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:56 pm

Parson's bonus applies to all units, while Wanda's only applies to uncroaked/decrypted. Any dwagons carrying hobgobwins, as well as most hobgobwins, probably survived the initial fall, so a significant portion of the strongest units can't benefit from Wanda's bonus. The in-hex bonus for chief warlord is better than if he wasn't there.
MarbitChow

Postby No one in particular » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:28 pm

Parson's bonus is only 2 (TBFGK 40a), which is pretty low.
1. This applies to all units of his capital...
2. But there's an additional bonus to units in the same battlespace as him...
3. And another bonus to units in the same hex as him...
4. And yet another for units in the same stack.
(The exact number for battlespace, hex & stack are unclear at the moment, but guesses are in the range of +1/+1/+1, so maybe +4 to all units not stacked with him)

From First Intermission 33, we know Wanda's bonuses are
Stack: +8
Hex: +4
Battlespace: +1

or TL;DR
No, Parson's bonuses are crappy.

HOWEVER! He SAID that GK needed all the bonuses it could get, and that the new Chief Warlord should be someone who's there already. Maggie getting him appointed again severely weakened GK's position, and since he can't actually resign, drag Stanley back up, and get someone else appointed, it's up to Parson to haul ass over there and provide what little bonuses he can.

On top of that, he didn't expect Wanda to stick her head into the MK and get stuck there. He thought she was going to stay in Spacerock and keep boosting the troops.

The real reason that Parson has to go into battle, though, is that his conscience won't let him direct a battle he wouldn't participate in. Is this dumb? Yes. But it's not about strategy here, it's about what he can live with at the end of the turn. (Parson talks about it in LIAB 42, which was a while ago)
"Are you always so pessimistic?"
"Not at all. I saved it for my last battle."
---
Got questions? Ask Count Downer!
No one in particular

Postby frei » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:34 pm

I like that Parson's conscience demands him to be there. And I know that he wasn't expecting Wanda to be stuck.

But I wish there was some reason to believe that his going through the MK isn't going to result in his side being in a substantially worse position than if he had stayed home.

Maybe we'll find out on a future page?
frei

Postby drachefly » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:47 am

No one in particular wrote:2. But there's an additional bonus to units in the same battlespace as him...

What?
drachefly
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Shai_hulud » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:09 pm

drachefly wrote:
No one in particular wrote:2. But there's an additional bonus to units in the same battlespace as him...

What?

I think that's wrong. Capital gets FULL bonus, not fraction of bonus. So +2 is the max he provides, and only to his stack and capital. Less than that for everyone else I think.
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby bladestorm » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:17 pm

Parson's bonus is a 2. Just by him being there, it adds +1 to everyone in that hex on his Side. Whoever stacks with him gets his full bonus. These bonuses also stack on top of whatever leadership bonuses are provided by whoever is leading the stack. No reason it should be any different than TV's bat strategy about stacking bonuses, per Book 1, Page 113.

Parson's never going to have a huge bonus to anything. He's about strategy, lateral thinking, bending rules, and abusing loopholes/exploits. He wouldn't need any of that if he could just stack a huge Leadership bonus on top of a huge CWL bonus, on top of two artifact bonuses, on top of whatever other bonuses are available. Stacking bonuses and steamrolling the opponent is exactly what he designed his game to prevent the players from winning with.
bladestorm

Postby No one in particular » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:45 pm

Shai_hulud wrote:
drachefly wrote:

What?

I think that's wrong. Capital gets FULL bonus, not fraction of bonus. So +2 is the max he provides, and only to his stack and capital. Less than that for everyone else I think.

Probably... I grabbed the number of bonuses from the wiki kind of quickly and upon closer examination, it looks like whoever wrote the article used "battlespace" for "side". I didn't look close enough, so, uh... mea culpa.

I swear, once I'm done getting the quotes about the mechanics of magic, I'm going to have to start one for battle mechanics... *makes a note for wiki improvement*
"Are you always so pessimistic?"
"Not at all. I saved it for my last battle."
---
Got questions? Ask Count Downer!
No one in particular

Postby mortissimus » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:18 pm

frei wrote:But I wish there was some reason to believe that his going through the MK isn't going to result in his side being in a substantially worse position than if he had stayed home.

Well, the plan was that he would rush through the MK and upon entering Spacerock he would add his bonus to Wanda's and be close to the action, the better to utilise opportunities and handle threats as the situation evolves. And if Maggie had not been dubblecrossed by Isaac it would have worked that way. Wanda would not have entered MK and thus Ossomer would (probably) not have turned.
mortissimus

Return to Everything Else Erfworld