Croakamancy, what can it do?

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

Croakamancy, what can it do?

Postby Whispri » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:58 pm

Aside from the Zombies of course. So... Book Zero, at the end of Goodminton, Wanda spake saying she was repatching the Zombies... which was better than wasting the juice entirely. That suggests the answer is: Not much. On the other manipulator, she was a novice Caster who'd never spoken to another Croakamancer, plus the Glossary of Book One describes Croakamancy as being able to reanimate Croaked Units among other things.

So other things... Frogs Croak, so do Ravens and co. Perhaps Croakamancy can be used to summon them? Being able to summon, or perhaps even create, Giant Frogs and flocks of Crows and/or Ravens seems like a good option.

On a similar note, the beasts of battle, Wolves, Eagles and Ravens again, eaters of carrion, there's certainly a connection to be made. What could be more appropriate for Croakamancy then calling forth the eaters of the dead?

Angel Summoning. I joketh not, unleashing the Angel of Croak upon her enemies sounds pretty Wanda-ish.

Then there's just killing in general, Wanda's rather good at that, but mainly seems to use good old fashioned muscle power to do it. She may have a nice line in death spells though. Spells that drain the hits of the enemy to restore her own, that sort of thing.

Golems, Flesh Golems, they may fall under the banner of Croakamancy, if it's possible at all, the same could be said for Bone Golems and the like.

Plague, if it exists in Erfworld, would be a Croakamancy thing likely as not.

Finally, the last thought that occurs are things like 'Faded' Uncroaked (Ghosts obviously) or 'Wrapped' Uncroaked (Mummies), I feel this is actually the least likely, as none of the Uncroaked Warlords that were present at TBfGK appeared to be anything other than yer bog standard Zombie Warlord. On the other appendage, at TBfGK she was facing the Arkenpliers which may well be said to have made the creation of special Uncroaked a bit of a wasted effort.

Wanda hasn't been seen using anything resembling any of this, but she doesn't seem to use magic at all these days tbh. Barring scrolls and equipment of course.

Lacking the 'life' thing doesn't seem a problem as Dirtamancers can create Golems without 'motion'. The 'not being Findamancers' thing doesn't stop Hat Mages from pulling things from their hats. So there's no reason why the 'summons' options should be dismissed out of hand.

Are there any other possibilities?
Whispri
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Re: Croakamancy, what can it do?

Postby Lamech » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:43 pm

There could be a bunch of things. The thing is the only thing Wanda likes is zombies, and she refuses to do other things with her abilities.

Lets see off the top of my head:
1) Making damaged bodies function as whole.
2) Enhance bodies.
3) Super Uncroaked. Maybe if she had a dollamancer make them into a useful shape first.
4) I do like the life steal. Make someone else matter move to you and work with you.
5) Turn out the motion in a body. (Paralysis)
6) Animate plants! Give motion to their unmoving matter.

However, I suspect Wanda will be limited in her use of any of those abilities. (At least until Parson cusses her out.) She can use: dirtamanacy, dollamancy thinkamancy, hatmagic, shockamancy, and rhyme-o-mancy, and who knows what else. Yet we've maybe seen her use rhyme-o-mancy in the comic. Even thinkamancy she used a scroll. Even when it would have been very useful. She didn't blast Ansom out of the sky. I don't see her using her juice to make hats, or dirtamancy golems. Maggie needs to go to the MK when she wants a little dollamancy done.
Lamech

Postby No one in particular » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:22 pm

I don't think it's been addressed, but what magic has Wanda been using to torture Jillian?

While it might be applied Turnamancy or the under-explored changemancy, I think it might actually be croakamancy.

So I'm guessing that Croakamancy, while not actually able to HARM a body, can make it feel anything and make croaked ones move again.
"Are you always so pessimistic?"
"Not at all. I saved it for my last battle."
---
Got questions? Ask Count Downer!
No one in particular

Postby Whispri » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:26 pm

I've really fallen in love with the idea of Wanda being able turn Ravens, Frogs, Toads and Crows into Units. But especially Ravens. Zap and tame, zap and tame.

Perhaps Moaning Uncroaked? By which I mean moaning Zombies, not Banshees. Mebbe they'd get a minor dance fight bonus without needing Wanda around?
Whispri

Postby Shai_hulud » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:49 am

Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby Whispri » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:13 am

No, more like this.
Whispri

Postby Ryjak » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:26 pm

Don't forget Wanda's headache spell.

She also cast a spell on a Hobgoblin after torturing Jillian, but it looked exactly lime the suggestion spell Maggie cast on Stanley... So either that dust is like a scroll (any caster can use it) or Wanda has a limited ability to cast Thinkamancy.
Ryjak

Postby Whispri » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:59 am

Those are things that Wanda, specifically, can do, not something that Croakamancy can do.

I do so hope there's more to it than zombies.
Whispri

Postby drachefly » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:30 pm

Whispri wrote:No, more like this.

Dat vidya be un'vaylbul.
drachefly

Postby Whispri » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:26 am

drachefly wrote:
Whispri wrote:No, more like this.