Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 055

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 055

Postby effataigus » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:03 pm

Any theories on that courage brains heart stuff that Judy was yelling? Perhaps Maxwell tried to separate the pieces of himself into various units. If so, courage is dead, and heart is just a lump... making me wonder where brains is at, and just how much grand mischief a brilliant coward with no moral compass could get into.
EDITED: Cantripmancer wrote:The unusual element of Stanley's linkup then would have been sustaining it over a long period of time and/or achieving it in the first place without hero buds.
I'm pretty sure the unusual element of Stanley's was just that Stanley thought to use one. I'm guessing his motivation probably stemmed more from not wanting to have to imagine what Misty was saying rather than the more tactical advantages of having the linkup.
Last edited by effataigus on Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Last edited by effataigus on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:31 am, edited 239044 times in total.
effataigus

Postby Talisid » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:47 pm

Book 1 Page 18.

"Do you have a headache spell?"
"Yes.. or, to cure one? No, if i had that, I would never stop casting it."

Book 0, Page 54

“Already,” said Lady Firebaugh. “That is unfortunate. You will be permanently afflicted very soon, if that hasn’t yet happened.”

Bit of a crazy theory here - Wanda is already permanently afflicted by the Heroine addiction and, in the present day, is in constant pain because of the withdrawal. Just a thought.
Talisid

Postby joosy » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:49 pm

effataigus wrote:Any theories on that courage brains heart stuff that Judy was yelling?

My guess is based in Wanda's disclosure that they were doing things with their bodies. I know that was most likely a sexual reference, but maybe the Scarecrow and the Tin Man are the remnants of Maxwell or Barton. Perhaps they were trying to transfer their minds and abilities into units with no upkeep (which I assume is the case for golems) in order to overcome the diminishing Schmuckers wall they were probably hitting. Overlady Gale could be yelling at the remnants of the casters were were truly loyal to her for their failure to protect her from Olive. But thats just a crazy theory. :)
joosy

Postby youngstormlord » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:43 pm

effataigus wrote:Any theories on that courage brains heart stuff that Judy was yelling? Perhaps Maxwell tried to separate the pieces of himself into various units. If so, courage is dead, and heart is just a lump... making me wonder where brains is at, and just how much grand mischief a brilliant coward with no moral compass could get into.
youngstormlord wrote:The unusual element of Stanley's linkup then would have been sustaining it over a long period of time and/or achieving it in the first place without hero buds.
I'm pretty sure the unusual element of Stanley's was just that Stanley thought to use one. I'm guessing his motivation probably stemmed more from not wanting to have to imagine what Misty was saying rather than the more tactical advantages of having the linkup.

I never wrote that. It was Cantripmancer. I think that Stanley had a brain fart of inspiration, probably a little guided by Wanda or her stories. Btw, I still have my pet theory that Judy was summoned from somewhere else, had headache from summoning and Olive had the cure, which led to addiction. http://www.erfworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6415&p=89560#p89560
Don't click on this link, you might feel cheated if you do.
Hint:
Spoiler: show
It's my fanfiction. :)

My erf PC game (first test version): Jack Attack Update: Gone after fall of megaupload. Update2: Uploaded again on another hosting. Give it a go.
youngstormlord
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby bladestorm » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:33 pm

joosy wrote:
effataigus wrote:Any theories on that courage brains heart stuff that Judy was yelling?

My guess is based in Wanda's disclosure that they were doing things with their bodies. I know that was most likely a sexual reference, but maybe the Scarecrow and the Tin Man are the remnants of Maxwell or Barton. Perhaps they were trying to transfer their minds and abilities into units with no upkeep (which I assume is the case for golems) in order to overcome the diminishing Schmuckers wall they were probably hitting. Overlady Gale could be yelling at the remnants of the casters were were truly loyal to her for their failure to protect her from Olive. But thats just a crazy theory. :)

Maybe Maxwell became a disembodied entity, and was able to inhabit a dish.
bladestorm

Postby Kreistor » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:19 am

I'm not liking any of those ideas for the "Maxwell" reference. House should be a Healomancer, not Thinkamancer. And Smart was not... smart, that is. He makes a better Luckamancer.

We're looking for a thinker named Maxwell that involved himself in the Hippy movement in the 60's-70's, or had ties to drug culture in another era. The Opium dens of the 1800's work just as well. Nothing is coming up for me in Google.
http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/TBFGK_1 Here you can find all comic pages written as text for convenient quoting.

http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/Erfworld_Mechanics The starting page for accessing all known Erfworld "rules".
Kreistor

Postby Azukar » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:38 am

twhitt wrote:The heroine buds were the method that successfully turned Wanda, so we know she'd been addicted to them for some time. She functioned more-or-less well without them in her appearance in the graveyard. It seems that she's doing worse at the moment, but we don't know why; we only know that the crown prevents the heroine buds from being any use to her. I'm assuming that, if you can somehow restrict access to them, then the cravings dissipate over time until it's effectively no problem. Destroy the Olive Garden and the problem simply goes away, as long as you haven't already lethally overdosed on them. There's no reason to expect a magical solution here; once Haffaton is destroyed, Wanda and Jillian will simply recover.

I'm not sure that's all correct. Wanda may have been 'cured' between her Turning and the time in the graveyard, but she's been back on the Bud since then. When Olive tried to turn Jillian a few updates ago, Wanda was there with a Bud in her hair. Presumable Olive put it there to punish/subdue her; for all we know Olive kept Wanda on the bud ever since Jillian escaped.

I'd believe Wanda when she says that the buds are slowly lethal.
---

-Az
Azukar

Postby teratorn » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:19 am

Is Wanda going to send Judy back to wherever she came from?
Last edited by teratorn on Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
teratorn

Postby Sushi Database » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:30 am

Kreistor wrote:I'm not liking any of those ideas for the "Maxwell" reference. House should be a Healomancer, not Thinkamancer. And Smart was not... smart, that is. He makes a better Luckamancer.

We're looking for a thinker named Maxwell that involved himself in the Hippy movement in the 60's-70's, or had ties to drug culture in another era. The Opium dens of the 1800's work just as well. Nothing is coming up for me in Google.

I'm not sure House would be a Healomancer. How many times do we actually see House performing surgery, or anything like it? Aren't all patients just puzzles to him? He's a doctor, but he's a diagnostician, and Thinkamancer sounds right up his alley.
Sushi Database

Postby joosy » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:35 am

Maxwell House is also a brand of coffee.
joosy

Postby Vreejack » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:31 pm

That imaginary demon/fool who was giving Jillian advice earlier might have been Maxwell. Tina and Maya apparently croaked, but Maxwell was "lost" while exploring thinkomancy.
So...Watashi wa mizugorō ga sukina koto o kiita, neh?
A Prediction is what would have happened had there been no Prediction. What is scary is that they are also what will happen in spite of the Prediction.
Vreejack

Postby mastigo » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:08 pm

So I may be late to the ballgame on this, but isn't wanda's crest on the decrypted a skull with a flower.
mastigo

Postby Whispri » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:22 pm

teratorn wrote:Is Wanda going to send Judy back from wherever she came from?

Sounds like the best bet if she can manage it.

mastigo wrote:So I may be late to the ballgame on this, but isn't wanda's crest on the decrypted a skull with a flower.

Yes it is. And as can be seen here, Haffaton's banner is almost identical. Which poses some interesting questions at this point.
Whispri
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Mogster2 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:18 am

Vreejack wrote:That imaginary demon/fool who was giving Jillian advice earlier might have been Maxwell. Tina and Maya apparently croaked, but Maxwell was "lost" while exploring thinkomancy.

The fat jester? I wondered if maybe it had something to do with her Duty. It told her to kill Judy the first time they met (but not Punch her?), then later told her Banhammer was still alive.
Mogster2

Postby joosy » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:36 pm

Mogster2 wrote:
Vreejack wrote:That imaginary demon/fool who was giving Jillian advice earlier might have been Maxwell. Tina and Maya apparently croaked, but Maxwell was "lost" while exploring thinkomancy.

The fat jester? I wondered if maybe it had something to do with her Duty. It told her to kill Judy the first time they met (but not Punch her?), then later told her Banhammer was still alive.

I am inclined to think it is her subconscious manifesting itself. If Banhammer was dead, Jillian should have known it immediately unless there are rules prohibiting that for prisoners. The same jester insisted she croak Judy. The drugs have addled her senses, but parts of them keep trying to come through.
joosy

Postby fehler » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:53 pm

I have to believe that Maxwell is the Scarecrow. Then who is the Tin Man, Komatsu? A Cowardly Lion Dollamancer Barton? Leaving four witches (Wanda, Olive, Tina, Maya), an all-powerful Wizard, and Toto. How did Jillian end up as Toto?
fehler

Postby Housellama » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:01 pm

Do we know if a link can be forced? I would be a little surprised if it could. Thinkamancers act as to optimize the other caster's thoughts so they can cast better, but they don't take over. Even if a Link could be forced, I doubt it would be very effective. The other caster still has to use their discipline.

Someone earlier described Maxwell as a rapist. That doesn't sit well with me. I doubt that much, if anything, was forced on anyone. The expansion of consciousness, through drugs and the exploration possible in Thinkamancy and the combining of disciplines would be... probably pretty hard to resist, charm aside.

As for complicated relationships... They shared the most intimate parts of their bodies and minds with him, and with others. If sex complicates things, imagine what magical mind-bending telepathic sex would do. Complicated is probably an understatement.
"All warfare is based on deception" - Sun Tzu, Chapter 1, Line 18, The Art of War

"The principle of strategy is to know ten thousand things by having one thing." - Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Earth, Go Rin No Sho
Housellama
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby teratorn » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:20 pm

Maxwell's demon...
teratorn

Postby drachefly » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:38 pm

Housellama wrote:If sex complicates things, imagine what magical mind-bending telepathic sex would do. Complicated is probably an understatement.

Hmm. And even a chaste tri-link had the Callahan's sound effect...
drachefly

Postby Housellama » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:17 pm

drachefly wrote:
Housellama wrote:If sex complicates things, imagine what magical mind-bending telepathic sex would do. Complicated is probably an understatement.

Hmm. And even a chaste tri-link had the Callahan's sound effect...

Exactly. Not to mention that it took Masterminds (plural) to separate them. What would the hangover be like from a night with Maxwell? And what would you say the next morning? The sex was probably the least complicated part. Can't get knocked up or the Clap in Erfworld.
"All warfare is based on deception" - Sun Tzu, Chapter 1, Line 18, The Art of War

"The principle of strategy is to know ten thousand things by having one thing." - Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Earth, Go Rin No Sho
Housellama
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions