Book 2 – Page 98

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Page 98

Postby bladestorm » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:26 pm

cheeseaholic wrote:
Kreistor wrote:
Archer killed Artemis, who had a horrible miss. Archer then dies to an extremely lucky shot. Not such a reach to say that if there is such a thing as Luckamancy Karma, that these two events are related; however...

As a long time RPG player... you can always find a crit miss and hit to link together if you really want to. It's unavoidable in the statistics.

But one was a roll from Archer, while another one was a roll from an opposing doll. It's not one roll from archer being offset by another roll from archer; it's two different units. Why should archer get hit by the rock as opposed to a random infantry? Or the dwagon?

Could be his defense/dodge/save roll that was offset. When Artemis shot him, he went down. Artemis knew it was a good shot, but it didn't kill Archer. Saving throw mechanism, or just barely enough of a dodge roll turned what should have been an instakill into knockdown damage. A boulder being launched from a distance should be easy enough to avoid if you are paying attention to it. One bad perception/dodge roll later, and Archer is dusted.

Imperial Stormtrooper battle logic. You don't have to be able to aim your blaster, just keep firing until your opponent fails his dodge and gets hit by a stray blast.
bladestorm

Postby cheeseaholic » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:45 pm

I'll have to re-look up the luckamancy conversation. As is though, this does sound though like you have a dodge roll when being attacked from behind, as that's where the boulder came from.
cheeseaholic

Postby Oberon » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:03 pm

bladestorm wrote:Imperial Stormtrooper battle logic. You don't have to be able to aim your blaster, just keep firing until your opponent fails his dodge and gets hit by a stray blast.
But, but, but... Only Imperial Stormtroopers could be that accurate!
How using capslock wins arguments:
Zeroberon wrote:So we know with 100% certainty that THIS IS HOW TRI-LINKS WORK, PERIOD END OF STORY.
Oberon

Postby Chit Rule Railroad » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:27 pm

Perhaps luckamancy is integrated with the combat system such that adjustments on attack rolls can come from either the attacker or the target, like size adjustments in D&D, for example. If you're attacking a goblin (a "small" creature) in D&D, you're going to take a -1 on your attack roll. Even if you are a goblin, too, the -1 still happens, but it is offset by your own +1 for being small.
Chit Rule Railroad
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Ilmari de la Red » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:13 pm

Aww, not Captain Archer... :cry: though he was a poor impostor in Emiya's clothing, he was still one of my favourite minor characters.
Though, 's long as Sylvia's alive, I won't complain about anything. She's just too awesome.

I'm wondering if the spontaneous killing of Archer was not another manifestation of Sylvia's unnatural survival, actually. Considering that, if Ace hadn't redirected the fire towards him, Sylvia might have got that boulder on her head. Bit of a stretch, maybe, but is there any rule to the workings of her carnymancy protection?
Ilmari de la Red
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby effataigus » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:39 pm

Ilmari de la Red wrote:I'm wondering if the spontaneous killing of Archer was not another manifestation of Sylvia's unnatural survival, actually. Considering that, if Ace hadn't redirected the fire towards him, Sylvia might have got that boulder on her head. Bit of a stretch, maybe, but is there any rule to the workings of her carnymancy protection?

Ziggy thinks that there is a 97% chance that you are right!... though admittedly it could be a repayment for any of the handful of units with fate/luck armor.

Also, IIRC, Clay Dice was saying that even he didn't know where the good numbers of luckamancy came from... just that they were stolen.
Last edited by effataigus on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:31 am, edited 239044 times in total.
effataigus

Postby drachefly » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:43 pm

cheeseaholic wrote:But one was a roll from Archer, while another one was a roll from an opposing doll. It's not one roll from archer being offset by another roll from archer; it's two different units. Why should archer get hit by the rock as opposed to a random infantry? Or the dwagon?

Attack rolls could be between units, not belonging to one or another.
drachefly

Postby erutan20 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:12 am

In this scene, there is alot of fighting going on. Two armies fighting. Units being croaked. The brings up an interesting chance for a question. When units are killed, experience is handed out and units level up. When casters level up, they go from adept to master class. What happens when soldiers level up? More hits for sure but what else? What about dragons? They have killed alot of jetstone infantry. More hits, stronger breath attacks, but what else? New types of attacks? Can a stabber level into something more than just a higher level stabber? A weapon specialization? So far in the story, we have seen casters and the things they can do. Not so much on the rank and file soldiers tho. Some stuff is obvious but not everything is.
erutan20

Postby Wymmerdann » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:31 am

Interesting. So there's luckamancy in play.

Perhaps Charlie (who may or may not have been meddlng with luckamancy via spawnrates previously) has been taking bad rolls from one sided batles (Artemis leading knights against he dwagons) and saving them up for when he needs them, such as the battle that will let him capture Parson.

Sneak.
Wymmerdann

Postby Lamech » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:03 pm

erutan20 wrote:In this scene, there is alot of fighting going on. Two armies fighting. Units being croaked. The brings up an interesting chance for a question. When units are killed, experience is handed out and units level up. When casters level up, they go from adept to master class. What happens when soldiers level up? More hits for sure but what else? What about dragons? They have killed alot of jetstone infantry. More hits, stronger breath attacks, but what else? New types of attacks? Can a stabber level into something more than just a higher level stabber? A weapon specialization? So far in the story, we have seen casters and the things they can do. Not so much on the rank and file soldiers tho. Some stuff is obvious but not everything is.

Classes are independent from level. Being a higher level makes your spells better though. I suspect that infantry class is also independent of level. We have heard about high level infantry, AND the classes of infantry (knight, stabber, etc.) and units can pop in higher classes. Finally, infantry can go to knight class by practice, and Wanda has a need to drill with weapons.

Put this all together and I suspect that infantry classes are similar to caster classes. Independent of level. But through training and practice a unit can get new classes of infantriness.
Lamech

Postby Sieggy » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:57 pm

. . . . where's the Don's bat? I hope the poor little critter is still OK, and wasn't Pewed by Slately who thought it was a kinky goth Archon . . . .
The Truth Will Set You Free. But First It Will Piss You Off.
Sieggy

Postby oslecamo2_temp » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:05 am

Lamech wrote:
erutan20 wrote:In this scene, there is alot of fighting going on. Two armies fighting. Units being croaked. The brings up an interesting chance for a question. When units are killed, experience is handed out and units level up. When casters level up, they go from adept to master class. What happens when soldiers level up? More hits for sure but what else? What about dragons? They have killed alot of jetstone infantry. More hits, stronger breath attacks, but what else? New types of attacks? Can a stabber level into something more than just a higher level stabber? A weapon specialization? So far in the story, we have seen casters and the things they can do. Not so much on the rank and file soldiers tho. Some stuff is obvious but not everything is.

Classes are independent from level. Being a higher level makes your spells better though. I suspect that infantry class is also independent of level. We have heard about high level infantry, AND the classes of infantry (knight, stabber, etc.) and units can pop in higher classes. Finally, infantry can go to knight class by practice, and Wanda has a need to drill with weapons.

Put this all together and I suspect that infantry classes are similar to caster classes. Independent of level. But through training and practice a unit can get new classes of infantriness.

Stanley himself started as a piker that got promoted to warlord that got promoted to heir designate.
Formerly oslecamo2, unable to acess old acount.
oslecamo2_temp

Postby Shai_hulud » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:11 pm

Stanley was promoted though, we've never seen someone train to a more advanced unit... Even the oft sited example of Artemis' knights was actually probably meant to mean trained up in level. It's never actually been said anywhere that you can train up to a different level in unit type e.g. Stabber -> Knight.
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby youngstormlord » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:19 am

There's a simple explanation for 97% Luckamancy repayment. Archer just one hit killed Count Downer. That was amazingly lucky hit. It's just a Luckamancy repayment for a siege to one hit kill him a moment after his lucky shot.
Don't click on this link, you might feel cheated if you do.
Hint:
Spoiler: show
It's my fanfiction. :)

My erf PC game (first test version): Jack Attack Update: Gone after fall of megaupload. Update2: Uploaded again on another hosting. Give it a go.
youngstormlord
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Previous

Return to Reactions