Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) 052

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) 052

Postby effataigus » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:11 pm

Housellama wrote:I'm pretty sure that the Jester is just Jillian's sanity... Which says something when a fool is the part of her that's supposed to be smart.

I dunno... the whole beam of sunlight imagery from the Jester in this update is very Charlie-in-thinkspacey. I'm still guessing something like what Steve-D said is going on here.

Nueamin wrote:When Wanda became ruler didn't all the units not stacked with her disband?

Circumstances were a bit different. Recall there were no other cities and the current ruler had just died when those units disbanded. This came up in the discussion about the ground column being sent to from Spacerock to Jetstone, and what happens to them if Slately eats it while they're still in the field (assuming that this is not following videogame logic where their movement to the intermediary city is effectively instantaneous).

Unrelated note: haven't heard speculation that Banhammer is from Stupidworld in awhile. He's big, thinks differently, and pops units with sclera!
Last edited by effataigus on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:31 am, edited 239044 times in total.
effataigus

Postby drachefly » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:15 pm

Were any warlords auto-disbanded when Wanda was left on the road? What about non-uncroaked warlords?

It could simply be that units not stacked with a leader with a purse are auto-disbanded when the capital (and thus the treasury) is lost. And being in an alliance counts as having support.
drachefly

Postby Whispri » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:57 pm

drachefly wrote:Were any warlords auto-disbanded when Wanda was left on the road? What about non-uncroaked warlords?

It could simply be that units not stacked with a leader with a purse are auto-disbanded when the capital (and thus the treasury) is lost. And being in an alliance counts as having support.

The only surviving Units were the ones stacked with her... but the Goodminton Warlords were almost certainly killed in the defence of the Capital, there weren't any living Units on the road with her aside from her horse. And I don't recall any mention of Uncroaked Warlords other than Un-Tommy being present.
Whispri
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Lamech » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:45 pm

Whispri wrote:
drachefly wrote:Were any warlords auto-disbanded when Wanda was left on the road? What about non-uncroaked warlords?

The only surviving Units were the ones stacked with her... but the Goodminton Warlords were almost certainly killed in the defence of the Capital, there weren't any living Units on the road with her aside from her horse. And I don't recall any mention of Uncroaked Warlords other than Un-Tommy being present.
Who was likely stacked with Wanda. So we don't really know what allows survival when you convert to barbarianism.
Lamech

Postby 0beron » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:10 am

I just read this again and noticed something interesting. Olive said "Put you out of my misery" meaning she hoped Jillian would croak Wanda...but if that's the case why hasn't she croaked Wanda herself? The fact that she hasn't tells me there is some reason she believes Wanda is important, perhaps there was more to Delphi's Prediction than we thought? That would explain why Olive's Duty has led her to keep Wanda alive, otherwise she'd be able to convince herself that Wanda should die.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Whispri » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:40 am

0beron wrote:I just read this again and noticed something interesting. Olive said "Put you out of my misery" meaning she hoped Jillian would croak Wanda...but if that's the case why hasn't she croaked Wanda herself? The fact that she hasn't tells me there is some reason she believes Wanda is important, perhaps there was more to Delphi's Prediction than we thought? That would explain why Olive's Duty has led her to keep Wanda alive, otherwise she'd be able to convince herself that Wanda should die.

Well for a start, Wanda can't die until she fulfils her destiny, Olive may have tried and failed epically. Then there's Wanda's own power to consider, Olive may not be strong enough to kill Wanda without resorting to poison and would Wanda fall for that? Added to that is the fact that for all her nastiness Olive is basically a wannabe, she isn't Haffaton's Overlord, if she croaked Wanda, there could well be a fatal magical backlash. Finally, she might just be saying that to hurt Wanda with no lethal intention.
Whispri

Postby Mogster2 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:05 am

effataigus wrote:
Nueamin wrote:When Wanda became ruler didn't all the units not stacked with her disband?

Circumstances were a bit different. Recall there were no other cities and the current ruler had just died when those units disbanded. This came up in the discussion about the ground column being sent to from Spacerock to Jetstone, and what happens to them if Slately eats it while they're still in the field (assuming that this is not following videogame logic where their movement to the intermediary city is effectively instantaneous).

I just figured it was because her father had emptied the treasury promoting her, so there weren't enough schmuckers left to pay for their upkeep.
Mogster2

Postby Mogster2 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:08 am

Whispri wrote:
0beron wrote:I just read this again and noticed something interesting. Olive said "Put you out of my misery" meaning she hoped Jillian would croak Wanda...but if that's the case why hasn't she croaked Wanda herself? The fact that she hasn't tells me there is some reason she believes Wanda is important, perhaps there was more to Delphi's Prediction than we thought? That would explain why Olive's Duty has led her to keep Wanda alive, otherwise she'd be able to convince herself that Wanda should die.

Well for a start, Wanda can't die until she fulfils her destiny, Olive may have tried and failed epically. Then there's Wanda's own power to consider, Olive may not be strong enough to kill Wanda without resorting to poison and would Wanda fall for that? Added to that is the fact that for all her nastiness Olive is basically a wannabe, she isn't Haffaton's Overlord, if she croaked Wanda, there could well be a fatal magical backlash. Finally, she might just be saying that to hurt Wanda with no lethal intention.

That makes me wonder why Olive hasn't simply killed Judy and taken over. Maybe her Duty prevents her from killing her Ruler directly, but Stanley was able to kill his by using GK's natural allies.
Mogster2

Postby Whispri » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:17 am

Mogster2 wrote:
Whispri wrote:

That makes me wonder why Olive hasn't simply killed Judy and taken over. Maybe her Duty prevents her from killing her Ruler directly, but Stanley was able to kill his by using GK's natural allies.

Probably because she isn't an heir and no Ruler of Haffaton would ever designate her, as it would be signing their own croak warrant. Perhaps that is why she's so vexed with poor Wanda?
Whispri

Postby drachefly » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:44 am

Mogster2 wrote:
effataigus wrote:

I just figured it was because her father had emptied the treasury promoting her, so there weren't enough schmuckers left to pay for their upkeep.

Does upkeep usually fall due in the middle of your turn?
drachefly

Postby bladestorm » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:52 am

Maybe Olive knows about Wanda's Prediction, and was trying to force the hand of Fate so that Wanda had her attunement while a part of Haffaton. After several attempts and having Fate slam the door in her face, she might have decided that it would be best just to ditch the wench rather than further irritate Fate. Pair up Wanda and Jillian, let that Fate unroll, and then afterwards, swoop in and reclaim Haffaton's prize.
bladestorm

Postby wrecan » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:24 pm

Mogster2 wrote:Maybe her Duty prevents her from killing her Ruler directly, but Stanley was able to kill his by using GK's natural allies.

We don't know that. Although there are indications that a unit's Loyalty could fall so low that they would be willing to croak their King. (Caesar Borgata seems to be pretty close to that point.)
wrecan

Postby wrecan » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:47 pm

Another thought: Judy is going to croak/die. It will be interesting to see whether her croaking follows the rules for other Erfworlders or if we are given some indicationt hat croaking her in fact returns her to StupidWorld.
wrecan

Postby bladestorm » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:10 pm

wrecan wrote:Another thought: Judy is going to croak/die. It will be interesting to see whether her croaking follows the rules for other Erfworlders or if we are given some indicationt hat croaking her in fact returns her to StupidWorld.

Or she can find her magickal ruby slippers and head back home.

Haven't we seen ruby/red slippers somewhere before?
bladestorm

Postby effataigus » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:16 pm

drachefly wrote:Does upkeep usually fall due in the middle of your turn?

Middle of your opponents' turn, but same idea...

Unless each new overlord is automagically billed for all troops that they are granted by assuming the overlord title... would be an odd rule though.
Last edited by effataigus on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:31 am, edited 239044 times in total.
effataigus

Postby Whispri » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:36 am

Sudden thought: Olive is Wanda's wicked step-mother. To all intents and purposes. I mean, who else in her life could be considered a maternal figure?

drachefly wrote:Does upkeep usually fall due in the middle of your turn?

Not unless her freshly started Barbarian Side received a Turn straight away, which is unlikely as she heard hooves on the road ahead of her. Wait, Battlespace determination, if no fighting was Fated to take place, her Turn would start straight away, so if she was going to get a Barbarian Turn that day, then in theory it could have started as soon as Goodminton was destroyed.
Whispri

Postby drachefly » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:56 am

I'm pretty sure it didn't become her turn. That would make natural turnamancy a whole lot like Kingworld, and that doesn't seem right.
drachefly

Postby Whispri » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:42 am

drachefly wrote:I'm pretty sure it didn't become her turn. That would make natural turnamancy a whole lot like Kingworld, and that doesn't seem right.

Umm.. no it wouldn't. Battlespace only kicks in when two Sides are going to have an encounter. So then, if Wanda's Barbarian Side wasn't going to have an encounter with Haffaton...

Also, consider Gillian's taming of Crapsack, she had her fugitive Turn, Haffaton's Units started to move... and then she escaped by with the help of a Dwagon, that still had some move left despite it being Haffaton's Turn.
Whispri

Postby Kreistor » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:12 pm

Can't take time to see if anyone else noticed...

Background changes mightily from frame 11 to 12. Very odd.Too much for a camera angle change? Can't be foolamancy, unless Jack didn't leave to the MK (only Fooled himself leaving).

Anyway, just reporting an oddness.
http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/TBFGK_1 Here you can find all comic pages written as text for convenient quoting.

http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/Erfworld_Mechanics The starting page for accessing all known Erfworld "rules".
Kreistor

Postby effataigus » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:09 pm

Kreistor wrote:Can't take time to see if anyone else noticed...

Background changes mightily from frame 11 to 12. Very odd.Too much for a camera angle change? Can't be foolamancy, unless Jack didn't leave to the MK (only Fooled himself leaving).

Anyway, just reporting an oddness.

Looks fine to me if you're talking about the most recent update. It's just a camera angle pivot around Red by 90 to 180 degrees or so. Was facing Ace, later facing into the courtyard.

I think the art recently has been smashing. Lets go with pun not intended for now.
effataigus

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions