Darkness Rising v2.0 - 'Tenebris Unleashed' Campaign

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

Re: Darkness Rising v2.0 - 'Tenebris Unleashed' Campaign

Postby Exate » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:27 pm

MarbitChow wrote:Lolly cackles. "One of mine you stole, and 9 of mine you croaked. Six of my dolls you smashed, and three of yours I broke. The scales are not yet balanced. How will proper talkings tip the scales?"
Balanced? The caster was crazy. He was a barbarian talking to a side; nothing would ever be balanced about that. Still, Yuri tried not to let on. "Is not tipping worse. Group meeting you is small bit of kingdom with many worries; you is not having to be one of them. Is instead making Tenebris worries less with doll magics, and then marbit caster not need worry about Tenebris sending men for more thiefings and croakings. Is even maybe doing things for making Lolly's worries less, if is showing self as good friend, yes? And all are pleased with resulting turns."
Exate
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!

Postby Swodaems » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:27 pm

MarbitChow wrote:
Swodaems wrote:Alright, are there any disadvantages to equipping an unit that already has Assault with a pick?
Nope. That's fine.
Can we switch out the ballista we're popping on turns 10/11 with mining picks? At .5 up each we'll get 16 of them from 2 turns of dis city's production. We have slightly more than that many assault capable troops to give them to.

MarbitChow wrote:
0beron wrote:I want to point out that Marbit has declared nothing more occurs until Turn 16. So we can build up our forces, but you can't be planning to move out and hit an Elven city by turn 15.
Let me clarify that: nothing GM-inspired (such as populating random encounters, etc.) will occur before then. If the players can, with their existing and known resources, hit an existing target sooner than that, they will be allowed to.
Does this mean that the imp scouts cannot have any luck with their search before then?

I know it is probably long past time to bring this up, but is an assault on Armolad and the faeries 16 hexes away from Dis City using the old rules still in the cards? I may have thought of a way to win that battle. ("Hindsight is 20/20" might as well be my life motto.)

I have a few questions I should have asked before to determine if the plan is viable.

Can a unit cross back and forth across a hex barrier multiple times in a single move action?
I can't find a quote, but I remember it being established that voluntary mounting or dismounting requires an action, but I don't remember it being established who has to pay the action. Is it the mount, the rider, either, or both?
Can brickbats still screen if they use another action?

Under the old rules, a mount didn't need a special to continue moving after his rider acted. Depending on the answer to the above questions, we could use this to potentially bring 8 units across the hex barrier on the balrug in a single phase and have them protected by brickbats. (4 of the 8 are brickbat swarms, space on the mission is tight. Cupid also has to come as a 9th.) If we can do that, we can croak the faeries and stun Armolad before 29 shots are fired against us. (That is when we have to choose between losing a brickbat swarm or letting some other unit take damage.) (Will post full plan later, need to go to dinner with my relatives.)
Swodaems

Postby WhirdCheese » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:26 pm

Could we send a group of 6 unled level one warriors to "even the scales"? Give them orders to die as quickly as possible without killing anything.
WhirdCheese

Postby MarbitChow » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:32 am

Swodaems wrote:Can we switch out the ballista we're popping on turns 10/11 with mining picks? At .5 up each we'll get 16 of them from 2 turns of dis city's production. We have slightly more than that many assault capable troops to give them to.
Sure, consider it done.

Swodaems wrote:Can a unit cross back and forth across a hex barrier multiple times in a single move action?
Yes, as long as they have sufficient remaining Hex movement available.
Swodaems wrote:I can't find a quote, but I remember it being established that voluntary mounting or dismounting requires an action, but I don't remember it being established who has to pay the action. Is it the mount, the rider, either, or both?
I think I said it was the rider; if I didn't make that official before, it will be now, since it's the rider who has to leap off, and they can't regain their move until after they've dismounted.
Swodaems wrote:Can brickbats still screen if they use another action?
Since screening acts like bodyguarding, I'd say yes. I'm assuming you mean 'dismount' here, since they really can't use an action under normal circumstances.

Swodaems wrote:Under the old rules, a mount didn't need a special to continue moving after his rider acted. Depending on the answer to the above questions, we could use this to potentially bring 8 units across the hex barrier on the balrug in a single phase and have them protected by brickbats.
The flaw in your plan is that the Balrug isn't a mount. It's a transport, so rules that we established for mounts don't necessarily apply. I'd be forced to come up with transport-specific rules. I envisioned balrugs as being slower to load and unload - the rug has to land (thus ending its move), everyone steps onboard, it takes off again... this seemed to me to be at least a 2 action process, in which the balrug has to end it's move to allow units to get on or off. I also envisioned that units on a transport would keep their delayed move, so as soon as the transport stopped moving, they could freely move away and use a normal action.

Units on a balrug could leap off before it had landed, so that it didn't end the move; that would fall under the 'falling' category, according to what the comic has established. Not an issue for the brickabats, obviously, but your regular units might run into issues...

So, at a rough estimate, I'd say its a minimum of 2 rounds to transport all units across the hex, since the 'end transport's move to load' is, I think, a logical requirement; units dismounting from the Balrug while it's still in the air risk falling damage. If they follow regular disembark rules, the balrug lands and ends its move, and all riders can immediately move and attack normally, but now you're looking at 3 rounds to get everyone into the hex.

Based on this information, do you still want to try to capture Armolad? I'm assuming your strike force is Junetta w/ Triage's rod, Yuri, William, Coil, Cupid, 4 Brickabats and the balrug, correct?
MarbitChow

Postby Swodaems » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:39 am

MarbitChow wrote:
Swodaems wrote:Under the old rules, a mount didn't need a special to continue moving after his rider acted. Depending on the answer to the above questions, we could use this to potentially bring 8 units across the hex barrier on the balrug in a single phase and have them protected by brickbats.
The flaw in your plan is that the Balrug isn't a mount. It's a transport, so rules that we established for mounts don't necessarily apply. I'd be forced to come up with transport-specific rules. I envisioned balrugs as being slower to load and unload - the rug has to land (thus ending its move), everyone steps onboard, it takes off again... this seemed to me to be at least a 2 action process, in which the balrug has to end it's move to allow units to get on or off. I also envisioned that units on a transport would keep their delayed move, so as soon as the transport stopped moving, they could freely move away and use a normal action.
So regular mounts with the dressage special could be used this way. Good to know. How will this affect mounts that upgrade to transport?

MarbitChow wrote:So, at a rough estimate, I'd say its a minimum of 2 rounds to transport all units across the hex, since the 'end transport's move to load' is, I think, a logical requirement; units dismounting from the Balrug while it's still in the air risk falling damage. If they follow regular disembark rules, the balrug lands and ends its move, and all riders can immediately move and attack normally, but now you're looking at 3 rounds to get everyone into the hex.

Based on this information, do you still want to try to capture Armolad? I'm assuming your strike force is Junetta w/ Triage's rod, Yuri, William, Coil, Cupid, 4 Brickabats and the balrug, correct?
No, you've dusted the plan I uncroaked. The 1 round/phase insertion speed was required for it to work. Here is what it was:
Spoiler: show
(MarbitChow was close on the capture team, but Junetta won't need Triage's staff. It won't help her with what she is doing. However, she does get the +1 com and +2 com rings. Cupid is borrowing Will's +2 com bow. It also has to be Tod in the team. Between the bracer, the chief warlord title, and the commanding leadership special, he has an advantage of 4 leadership over Yuri. (The bracer can't raise Yuri's leadership without the commanding leadership special.) This 4 could be significant. It is possible for Yuri to be there to do across hex diplomacy.)
(Note: I assume all faeries are level 1 with +8 wards. )
Round 1: The faeries are defending, and thus have delayed actions. We wait until phase 0 to move in.
Phase 0: The balrug goes in carrying all four swarms. (Screened shots left =28.) Cupid enters at roughly the same time, using complex manuvers so that he is adjacent to 3 swarms at all times. (Yes, this is possible, but detailing the manuvers would make this post too long for little reason.)
The balrug comes back and the other 4 members of the capture team get on using their delayed actions. They are then ferried into the hex. They can't act against the enemy this round, but don't have to.
During this process, the elves get 18 shots in using their delayed actions. (Screened shots left =10. I'm assuming every enemy fires as soon as they can. They could delay with intention of letting their def soak up damage, but that won't help them against T. Coil and Will. However, it could help them against Cupid. This is why Tod is on the team.)

Round 2:
Phase 30: Will shoots down 2 faeries. His priority is anything that has a delayed action. (Even with Armolad's bonus and dodging, the faeries have no hope of survival. ) (faeries left =14)
Phase 23: Cupid shoots 2 faeries using his delayed action. His priority is any faerie that isn't dodging that showed itself to not be in Armolad's stack when it fired. (The fact that, at this point, he may not have this information to act on, or a viable target, is why it needs to be Tod instead of Yuri. The bonus increase of 4 makes a big difference in Cupid's odds of one-shotting dodging faeries in Armolad's stack. The 10/36 failure chance becomes a sure thing and we need these eliminations to be a sure thing.) (faeries left =12)
Phase 22: Cupid shoots 2 faeries again (faeries left =10)
Phase 12: T. Coil use ickypron on Armolad and 2 faeries. (T.Coil needs to be unstacked from Tod for Armolad's safety, but he stills get the + 2 hex wide so the faeries are certainly croaked. Faeries left = 8, Armolad loses her next action, eliminating 2 shots.)
Phase 6: Junetta delays action.
Phase 4: surviving 8 faeries fire. (Screened shots left =2)

Round 3:
Phase 30: Will shoots down 2 faeries. (faeries left =6)
Phase 22: Cupid shoots down 2 faeries (faeries left =4)
Phase 12: T. Coil use ickypron on Armolad and 2 faeries. (Faeries left = 2, Armolad loses her next action)
Phase 7: Junetta spaces out Armolad's mount, Amandaria.
Phase 6: Junetta delays action.
Phase 4: remaining 2 faeries fire (Screened shots left =0) (One of these faeries could choose to wake up Amandaria instead of firing, but there is a way around that.)

Round 4:
Phase 30: Will eliminates last 2 faeries.
Phase 29: Junetta spaces-out Armolad. (If one of the faeries woke up Amandaria, Junetta delays doing this until phase 12, when T. Coil uses ickypron to stun Amandaria. (This is so Amandaria can't wake Armolad up.) She then hits Amandaria with spaceout again on phase 6.)

With the new rulings, this plan fails. The faeries could fire on the balrug during it's first trip, decreasing the number of bats left. By the time the 4 other members of the capture team can enter the hex, those faeries have new delayed actions. The bats are overwhelmed by the additional fire.
Swodaems

Postby MarbitChow » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:36 am

Update Your Character Sheets
Quick note - I've updated the reference section (the link in my signature takes you there) to list characters with their new levels and XP. I've updated some of the characters that have leveled and declared their new stats, but most have not.

Because the rules have been updated, all characters have the opportunity to optimize their characters if they wish. Please take some time to review your character(s), and either post "Reviewed - No changes" if the current stats are correct, or let me know what the updated stats should be.
MarbitChow

Postby ETheBoyce » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:29 am

Well my stats are fine, but I gave my hits potion to Brick and my scrolls to...Bill I think
ETheBoyce
YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Lord of Monies » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:34 am

So are we saying that all military PCs get paragon for free, as that was discussed? Or not.
With the dawning of each new day, my evil machinations inch me closer to world domination. And also breakfast.
Lord of Monies

Postby MarbitChow » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:24 am

For now, all PC military units will only be getting Command Unit status for free. It's a role-playing perk, essentially. NPC units will view you as a leader and a hero. Leadership and Paragon grant actual stat bonuses, and as such will still need to be purchased.
MarbitChow

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:58 am

Do the XP counts also include any RP xp that might have been obtained by the new batch and the Dis City post defense shenanigans?
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby MarbitChow » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:38 pm

Nope. No new RP XP has yet been awarded.
MarbitChow

Postby Nnelg » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:48 pm

MarbitChow wrote:Update Your Character Sheets

I noticed that when you updated the character section, you forgot Melissa. :(

Was the Exp from the New Batch's encounter enough for her to level? If it is, I'd like some of the other player's advice on what to give her, since I'm not as well-versed in the combat rules and probably won't be the only person who ever rides her, anyways.

As for Nemo, I'm deliberately holding off on selecting my loadout until we've decided on some tactics. My spell choice, of course, will depend on what we need to do, but I already know that my combat stats are all going into defence and/or juice. If I have to choose now, then I'd put it all into defence (since 16 juice is at still enough to crypsis a loaded balrug).

Right now I'm leaning to one of two different spells, for two different tactical situations: If we're going to try any sort of infiltration op, Nemo taking Crypsis becomes essential. But if we aren't, and Nemo is to lend support to the next siege, I'd prefer to take Baffle.

(Note to Marbit: since Smoke is one of those things whose true usefulness never makes it into the media, I'd like to make sure you won't pull out what would certainly be a vital component of any plan including it because you didn't expect the spell to be used that way.

To use Smoke properly, one deploys it on the enemy's position -specifically, their main firebase. In this case, that would mean enemy archer stacks.

Fortunately for game balance, this tactic can be countered by simply moving to a non-Baffled hex before firing. Only when the enemy cannot move, either because of clever maneuvering on our part, (good, should be kept) or because the enemy is defending a fixed location, (but Nemo can't Baffle all the ramparts, or for long) is it truly effective. And thus, not a game-breaker.)
"The Wizard is Charlie!"
Nnelg

Postby MarbitChow » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:40 pm

Nnelg wrote:I noticed that when you updated the character section, you forgot Melissa. :(
Don't feel bad. None of the NPCs have been updated yet. Heck, most of the new NPCs aren't even listed in the NPC section yet.
Nnelg wrote:Was the Exp from the New Batch's encounter enough for her to level?
Yes, she should be at 6 XP, I believe.
Nnelg wrote:I'd like to make sure you won't pull out what would certainly be a vital component of any plan including it because you didn't expect the spell to be used that way.
The Veil argument has, I suspect, prejudiced you. I actually really like when new tactics are devised, as long as they follow the rules as written. Veil (and most of Foolamancy 1.0, for that matter), was written really poorly from a rules perspective. If I can't program a computer in such a way as to easily determine whether the rule was valid, the rule is bad. Rules should not require GM interpretation to determine whether something succeeds or fails. From an underlying mechanics perspective, I still view Wounds as different from Stats, but I've expanded the description of Veil to include it as a special case, since you seemed to have your heart set on it. :)
Nnelg wrote:To use Smoke properly, one deploys it on the enemy's position -specifically, their main firebase. In this case, that would mean enemy archer stacks.
While I can't say I assumed you'd immediately use it in this manner, It seems like it's completely within both the rules and the intent of the spell. And, as you pointed out, it's really easy to counter, but it would certainly have the effect of being able to negate triggered actions - such as immediately firing on units crossing a hex border - so I don't see any problems with it.
MarbitChow

Postby Nnelg » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:50 pm

MarbitChow wrote:The Veil argument has, I suspect, prejudiced you.

I suppose you're right... Really, I've realized that at the start I was the more in the wrong. I was really trying to exploit the rules by 'faking' a spell in LOS. It was only when you said Veil wouldn't be able to effect wounds even when cast outside of LOS was my position at all justifiable.

Anyways, I'm glad you're cool with Baffle smoke tactics (expect it to be a stock spell for all battles once I get it). I feel now that between Baffle, Crypsis, and clever cooperative maneuvers, Foolamancy now has plenty of ways to be useful on a tactical level. :)

Speaking of Baffle, you said that the effect was unique to the caster. Well, I can't think of anything better for Nemo's Baffle than a larger version of the effect you used for his hand (after changing the base square's color to #1F1F1F, that is). Also, I would request you use a similar hue to mark future veils, rather than the rather charlescommy blue you used for the New Batch's battles (that blue would still be good for enemy veils we spot, though, such as those cast by the Archons).

Actually, now that I've mentioned Archons... We may be able to keep the fact that our Side has a Foolamancer a secret a bit longer if we make it out as if we have a Dark Archon. It might allow Nemo's existence to remain secret for one additional battle, at least.
"The Wizard is Charlie!"
Nnelg

Postby WhirdCheese » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:37 pm

Over the course of the turns before he is ordered to move out Fortune will bless all PC's.

He also walks up to Tod and says "The ammount of blessings that I have placed on our units is great. I beleve that I will need to place curses on some of our soldiers to even the scales. Do you have a preference on which one's?"

17 Juice expended on Pc's + 2 more on Wanderus & Juneta

5 Juice left on turn of arival. 24 next 24 last.

53 Juice left For Post-Blessings/Curses
WhirdCheese

Postby bob the 6th » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:40 pm

Rudy wonders around Dis city, and looks for this "Tod" person, his chief warlord. When and if he finds him, he will introduce himself and ask what he could do to aid the chiefs plans.
bob the 6th

Postby ETheBoyce » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:53 pm

Question: What will the new builds be for any enemy archers we Uncroak?
ETheBoyce

Postby MarbitChow » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:05 pm

ETheBoyce wrote:Question: What will the new builds be for any enemy archers we Uncroak?
Level 2: Dance Fighting, Well-Armed, and Well-Protected.
Level 1: Dance Fighting and Well-Protected
MarbitChow

Postby 0beron » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:11 pm

Vinny's Max Juice (without Rod) is now 25. Everything else is correct.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby MarbitChow » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:54 pm

0beron wrote:Vinny's Max Juice (without Rod) is now 25. Everything else is correct.
I boosted your HP to 8, and Juice is now 28. Please note that the 2.0 rules have tweaked the Juice grated by spending a Stat Point from +3 to +4.
MarbitChow

PreviousNext

Return to Your Games