Erfgame 3 (CLOSED) - Rules and Discussion

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

Re: Erfgame 3 (closed) - Rules and Discussion

Postby Koliup » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:42 am

Lord of Monies wrote:For idle banter, I shall keep that in mind. Any general tips for tackling moral quandries?

http://drmcninja.com/comics/2012-11-16-25p47.jpg
Look immediately at the bottom two panels.
All systems nominal.
Koliup

Postby Lord of Monies » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:49 am

Yeah, I'm a follower of the good doctor. Unfortunately, I think I'm in his position rather than Radical's. Which is sad, cuz it would be awesome to be in King Radical's position regardless of the Mummy's Curse.
With the dawning of each new day, my evil machinations inch me closer to world domination. And also breakfast.
Lord of Monies

Postby Koliup » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:59 am

It would indeed be radical to be Radical.
What happened, did you find an injured animal? Or a princess being held captive by a dwagon?
All systems nominal.
Koliup

Postby Lord of Monies » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:03 am

Details are complicated. Not sure of what position my ruler would have on certain circumstances, especially when my caster and knights seem to have differing views. I think it comes down to one is racist, another is unaware they're thinking along vaguely similar lines to slavery, and I'm debating whether to treat them as the intelligent beings that they are. I have time to figure this out, but it's complicated stuff.

Side-point: If I ever design a new erfworld side in the future, it shall have King Radical as a ruler. I'd be the best ruler ever.
With the dawning of each new day, my evil machinations inch me closer to world domination. And also breakfast.
Lord of Monies

Postby Kaed » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:14 am

Ugh! Why are you agonizing over this so much? Be a good king, be an evil king, something in between - there really is no wrong answer. You are like, god of your kingdom and the only thing they can refuse of you is things that are dangerous to the side. Which is pretty much just you.
UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.
Kaed
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Koliup » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:16 am

Just steer clear of rainbow unicorns, Unicrons.. dang, I thought I had more, to pad out that joke.
Why not take a third option and tell them you're doing something completely different?
Just remember; Dorfs are not 'people'. They are Dorfs.

Be the EVIL KING. Like Vlab.
All systems nominal.
Koliup

Postby Lord of Monies » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:37 am

Don't really know why I'm agonizing over this so much really. Guess I want to think of my people before myself, which is more a stupidworld thought than an erfworld thought.
Lord of Monies

Postby Koliup » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:42 am

Lord of Monies wrote:Don't really know why I'm agonizing over this so much really. Guess I want to think of my people before myself, which is more a stupidworld thought than an erfworld thought.

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is how no matter how hard we try, we'll never be able to, with pinpoint accuracy, play an Erfworld ruler in any game.
As long as you survive, though. You can always pop more. Remember that.
All systems nominal.
Koliup

Postby Lord of Monies » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:47 am

I think it's a little tougher for me cuz I started as a barbarian side, so the units I have are pretty much it, and I've been with them for a little while now. Had I started as a side with a capital, I'd have a bit more distance as I'd send them out on missions from the safety of my throne. Roaming around with them for so long, I feel a bit more attatched to them so I value their thoughts. Once I have a capital, I'll be able to act more like a ruler again.
Lord of Monies

Postby Koliup » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:40 am

Well, at least you care about them.
When you get a capital, then you can produce stabbers to start catching arrows.
All systems nominal.
Koliup

Postby Exate » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:13 pm

Kaed wrote:Ugh! Why are you agonizing over this so much? Be a good king, be an evil king, something in between - there really is no wrong answer. You are like, god of your kingdom and the only thing they can refuse of you is things that are dangerous to the side. Which is pretty much just you.
It is pretty fun. And it seems we're just about all adopting different philosophies of rulership, given this position- each finding our own right answer, as it were.

For my part, Sultan Shahryar does care about his units, both in the individual and specific, but that won't stop him from sending them to die in droves. Or popping them specifically to die in droves. He just gives a respectful nod for their sacrifice and says something about Fate, Titans, and Duty, then proceeds onward with his plans.

Also, I don't know how other sides do it, but ridiculously over-the-top titles and forms of address for their ruler are the Sandman way. Particularly from courtiers, but anyone who addresses the Sultan had best have a half-dozen ways to say he's awesome ready or they'll be in danger of breaching etiquette. Good times!
Exate
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!

Postby Lord of Monies » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:16 pm

My knights refer to me as My Lord, or Sire. House can get away with calling me Daphnes, but occasionally calls me Sire too.
Lord of Monies

Postby Exate » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:31 pm

No one calls Shahryar by his name. It's entirely possible that he will live his entire life with none of the Sandmen ever using it, except perhaps when announcing his presence along with several titles to show how great he is, or referencing him (also probably with titles) when speaking to someone else. Even if he picks up friends or lovers, they would probably still call him something other than his name. They will probably also keep peppering their words to him with ridiculously fervent declarations of loyalty and praise which would be hilarious if they weren't generally entirely sincere and often literally true; "My life is yours, and my death as well. I obey you as a hand does its owner" comes to mind.

Speaking of lovers, I'm waiting for courtiers to start popping as harem girls, but the Titans clearly know that Shahryar puts business before pleasure when assigning Signamancy to his early units. Wallowing in decadent Arabian luxury and throwing spice orgies can come later. You probably need a high-level capital for a decent spice orgy, anyway.
Exate

Postby Kaed » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:34 pm

Exate wrote: You probably need a high-level capital for a decent spice orgy, anyway.

*scribbles down notes* Pop a slattern courtier sometime, hold spice orgy...
UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.
Kaed
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby 0beron » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:35 pm

Most of my units refer to me simply as Queen, and a few individuals of notable rank have referred to her as Madame. There is however one unit that has all MANNER of nicknames for her...its the one exception she lets slide.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Kaed » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:36 pm

0beron wrote:Most of my units refer to me simply as Queen, and a few individuals of notable rank have referred to her as Madame. There is however one unit that has all MANNER of nicknames for her...its the one exception she lets slide.

You talkin' bout me, little lady? I hope we don't have any problems here, sweetheart, because that would be bad, see?

I've noticed that Casters in general seem to get away with more than other units because they're so INDISPENSIBLE and they darn well know it.
Kaed
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Exate » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:43 pm

Kaed wrote:slattern courtier
Hey! The Sandmen pop only the finest of courtesans!
Exate

Postby Kaed » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:04 pm

Exate wrote:Hey! The Sandmen pop only the finest of courtesans!

There are always exceptions...

Also, you got mail.
Kaed
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Koliup » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:10 pm

I've noted Vlab is referred to mostly as Lord, or I think even once, King. Though among his.. only courtier, he's called Master. That guy is creepy.
A shame Vlab is surrounded by idiots, er.. spear catchers, er.. infantry peasants. Else I'm sure he'd have more curious titles being tossed around.
Or maybe not. I don't even know.
All systems nominal.
Koliup

Postby Safaquel » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:45 am

Kaed wrote:Ugh! Why are you agonizing over this so much? Be a good king, be an evil king, something in between - there really is no wrong answer.

Be a brain in a jar!
Safaquel

PreviousNext

Return to Your Games