New One is up.
balder

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 048

Postby fjolnir » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:45 am

And for my next trick...
fjolnir

Postby TheMutant » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:48 am

Awesome stuff. Now the next question is, 'what exactly is going to go horribly wrong for this plan'? Since we know Faq ended when they were still at their little hidden setup. (OR DO WE)

Will they make the transition and then have to head back for some reason, does the plan die in its infancy or partway through... so many questions :3 eagerly waiting on the next update as always.
Join the Erflings fanart gallery on DeviantArt!

Sixty wrote:Obviously the mystery caster has no particular feelings one way or the other about Parson, he simply heard "cue the Benny Hill music" and gave chase, compelled to do so by forces outside his control.
TheMutant
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Vorteks » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:01 pm

This was indeed an awesome update.

TheMutant wrote:Awesome stuff. Now the next question is, 'what exactly is going to go horribly wrong for this plan'? Since we know Faq ended when they were still at their little hidden setup. (OR DO WE)

Well, we know that FAQ falls to Gobwin Knob, not Haffaton. And Wanda is with them at the time, implying capture. So my first guess is that FAQ captures Haffaton, razes it, and then returns to their previous location. It seems unlikely to me that FAQ could successfully lead a military strike on Haffaton, capture Wanda, and then NOT defeat Haffaton without Haffaton destroying them later in retaliation.

Then again, Rob's certain thrown us some delightful surprises so far.
Vorteks
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Thoke » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:02 pm

This was worth waiting for! Wow, Delphie really had accurate predictions (or should it be with capital P?)

And now I wonder if Jillian has still "assisted" Wanda with the "transition" Delphie mentioned... I know Jillian doesn't give a Banhammer's Court about Fate. Could be she never even mentioned it to Wanda.
Thoke

Postby fjolnir » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:06 pm

We kind of see some aspects of the upward limit of predictamancy, at least at the adept level. A location, the hint of a name but no time frame.
fjolnir

Postby Allerdyce » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:28 pm

Looks like the ball's really rolling on this plot thread! Looking forward to this as it develops.
Allerdyce

Postby WarFAN » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:33 pm

So... Jillian finds that note and she commits all the FAQ´s resources to an Ender´s gambit. Of course, it is going to end good for FAQ. But King Banhammer is not going to like it.

Another indubitable proof about Jillian´s true nature as an idiotic, capricious person.
WarFAN

Postby nargbop » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:33 pm

We now know :
Armor has an explicit rating, although we don't know exactly what it does (possibly subtract from the attacker's die, or subtract from the attacker's roll)

We can surmise :
Hats are "secure" enough for her to send a message without it being intercepted, or revealing the destination of the message. (Her source is obvious to Haffaton).
Armor can come from other things than metal wrapped around the torso. Presumably multiple items stack.

We need to figure out :
How she intends to take Haffaton with her tiny, slow, visible, vulnerable army.
nargbop
Tool + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby cheeseaholic » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:40 pm

The first thing she does is look for rations? Seriously Jillian.
cheeseaholic

Postby WarFAN » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:41 pm

nargbop wrote:
We need to figure out :

Haffaton is overextended and its capital will be weak.

We know Haffaton does not exist anymore. We know Wanda will be a FAQ´s Croakamancer. So Jillian´s gambit will work.
WarFAN

Postby Lamech » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:53 pm

Things we learned:

Hats are omni-directional. You don't need to pair them. Presumably this means that with some basic cryptography and forgery skills... bad things happen.

Equipment has an armor rating. It does stuff.

Fireplaces auto-light and auto-fuel. Now if Parson can figure out how to make a fireplace by hand (or magic), we can turn Erfworld STEAMPUNK!!! Oh and break the turnamancer monopoly on self-powered vehicles.
Lamech

Postby Whispri » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:55 pm

This basically. It's not just that her plan is insane and hinges on every Side aware of Haffaton, Translyvito included, being inept, it's that she's gambling everything on Predictamancy while ignoring Predictions she happens not to like.

Delphie's almost as aggravating, blaming Wanda for the results of her lies, if only she'd been straight with people... And if only Fate would try hooking Wanda up with a girl who isn't a complete monster.

Insane plans aside, I really do think it was Faq wot done it. 'It' being the destruction of Goodminton.
Whispri
YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby joosy » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:09 pm

Heh “Why don’t you have a seat over there?” Chris Hansen would be proud :)
joosy

Postby ftl » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:15 pm

Man, predictamancers are arrogant.

Really, Delphie? Why would she think for even one second that whoever found the note would believe it and would follow the instructions?

I completely don't blame Jillian for ignoring it entirely. For all she knows it could be another Haffaton trap.
ftl
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby No one in particular » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:37 pm

WarFAN wrote:So... Jillian finds that note and she commits all the FAQ´s resources to an Ender´s gambit. Of course, it is going to end good for FAQ. But King Banhammer is not going to like it.

Another indubitable proof about Jillian´s true nature as an idiotic, capricious person.

Huh? Jillian was thinking of attacking Haffaton way back before WRECD was even formed. (“Let’s take this whole show on the road,” she said. “As Chief Warlord, I say we go to war with Haffaton, and win.”–IPTSF 33) The note has nothing to do with it.

And if anything, her following through on an idea she's had for months, that she's been in favor of the whole time and has argued for... kind of is the opposite of capricious. I mean, aside from being kind of indecisive when it comes to love, Jillian is quite consistent (Attack attack attack!!!).

nargbop wrote:We now know :
We need to figure out :

Tiny? Maybe, but it would be 3 cities worth of soldiers, a crap-ton of gwiffons, and EIGHT casters. Against the "woefully underdefended capital" (IPTSF 44)

Slow? Why would they be slow? Everyone would be on gwiffons and megalogwiffs. They'd have practically no move-penalty compared to Haffaton's ground forces. They'd be blazing with move!

Visible? Wait, WHAT? Visible? With the Lookamancy/Predictamancy/Foolamancy combo they've been practicing since Orwell/Marie/Jack were popped? They wouldn't be seen, period.

Vulnerable? Maybe... but Haffaton is just as vulnerable. When Jillian made her escape, she found out "... that this city was woefully undefended, for instance. The whole area around it was practically empty". Each time we've seen a Haffaton city, it's been practically deserted, and Jillian's been able to overpower it if she has ANY help at all.
"Are you always so pessimistic?"
"Not at all. I saved it for my last battle."
---
Got questions? Ask Count Downer!
No one in particular

Postby atalex » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:42 pm

Delphie's almost as aggravating, blaming Wanda for the results of her lies, if only she'd been straight with people... And if only Fate would try hooking Wanda up with a girl who isn't a complete monster.

Even from the grave, Delphie is terrible predictomancer, able to see the future with great clarity, but completely uncapable of comprehending how people will react to her predictions. Who could possibly be so weak-willed as to accept the idea that one's only reason for existing is to fulfill some stupid prophecy?
atalex

Postby name lips » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:52 pm

Everybody she knows and loves DO perish. But that's later, when Stanley invades.

Could that somehow be a consequence of ignoring the Prediction?

It looks like Faq is going to perform the decapitation strike on Haffaton and succeed. Wanda will either be captured and Turned, or else change sides beforehand and betray Haffaton (the "poison pill").

We know that later on Wanda does the betrayal trick to help Stanley destroy Faq. At first she thinks she's luring Stanley into a trap so she can claim his Arkentool, but somehow by the time he arrives he has TONS of dwagons, so she changes her plan, and joins him instead.

I cannot at this time see how ignoring Delphi's Prediction could have the end result of the destruction of Faq and "everybody she loves." But we DO know that she ignores the Prediction, and we DO know that Faq is destroyed. Somehow these dots must get connected.

But as far as I can tell Jillian never becomes a Fatalist. She doesn't seem convinced that avoiding her Fate causes suffering. She doesn't seem convinced that Fate is unavoidable. Wanda embraces this philosophy, but Jillian remains fiercely independent and resistant to the idea.

I'm reminded of the scene from book 1 -- "The easy way or the hard way? But I already know which way you'll pick." "The easy way." "What? Really?" Jillian isn't known for taking the easy way. She usually seems to relish taking the hard way, consequences be damned.
name lips

Postby Eva » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:23 pm

The dots aren't that hard to connect. If Jillian kill off Haffaton, she wouldn't get Wanda. Without Wanda, FAQ wouldn't fall.
Eva

Postby Angband » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:43 pm

We've already had plenty of foreshadowing here -- Jillian was determined to choose the "very hard way" and oppose her fate as long and as hard as she could.

So rather than contacting Wanda and joining with her like Delphie urged, she's acting in opposition to the Prediction. At some point between now and the start of TBFGK, Wanda switches to Faq. This could possibly be by capture, but note the hiring of a Turnamancer in this update. Also we have the discovery by Jillian of Wanda's true origins, which I am guessing she will make use of when she and Wanda meet in battle -- we already have precedent for a side's behavior modifying loyalty rolls of its units (Ossomer) so I am guessing that the reminder that it was Haffaton that killed her family will convince her to betray her current side.

Will Wanda's uncroaked (stationed all over Haffaton's poorly defended empire) turn with her? If they do, that would be a pretty effective way to blow up Haffaton.
Angband
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Next

Return to Reactions