Transfer of funds in Erfworld

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

Re: Transfer of funds in Erfworld

Postby Nnelg » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:49 pm

Ok, three of those four cases were Jillian breaking the truce of Parley, not the RCCII collectively. All this proves is that you can't trust her, specifically.

Besides, even if Jetstone had a reputation for breaking parley, it isn't exactly like GK had a choice in the matter. That parley was a demand for surrender; a refusal to parley without a contract is tantamount to a refusal to accept said offer.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that people are smarter than you think. Even if tricks like you mentioned are possible, nobody competent is going to fall for it.
"The Wizard is Charlie!"
Nnelg

Postby Beeskee » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:23 am

0beron wrote:
drachefly wrote:I like the 'no one gets the money' solution.

I do too, but then Lord Firebaugh's treaty wouldn't have worked. He arranged that if either Frenemy or Quizling attacked, the OTHER one would receive a payment.

There may be a difference between penalties and payments, too.

Or I may be reading too much into it. :D

I like the idea of "money goes poof" too, in certain circumstances, but I think the transfer of funds is possible too. If it is, Parson will find and exploit it eventually. :)

Lamech wrote:Someone who didn't think things through. You just miss a loophole or don't think of something.

Parson did that with Charlie. :D 12 battle calculations that he forgot to stipulate couldn't be used against him or his side. Oops.
Beeskee

Postby Nnelg » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:40 am

Beeskee wrote:
Lamech wrote:Someone who didn't think things through. You just miss a loophole or don't think of something.
Parson did that with Charlie. :D 12 battle calculations that he forgot to stipulate couldn't be used against him or his side. Oops.

If he had stipulated that, Charlie probably would have refused the deal or bargained it back to unlimited use, anyways. And... You can be sure Parson won't make that mistake again. (Nor, I think, would anyone else who had been in that situation.)
"The Wizard is Charlie!"
Nnelg

Postby bladestorm » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:23 am

The use of gems could also have some significance with Moneymancy. I assume Rulers have some sort of natural moneymancy ability that allows such a conversion. A gem that size could be worth 100k smuckers, but with Benjamin making the gem, it'd only cost 50k to make it and send it. If the recipient has particularly poor moneymancy, they may only get 75k smuckers when they convert the gem.

Reverse the process: Slately spends 100K on making the gem. Due to his Moneymancy, he sends a gem worth 75k. Benjamin receives said gem, and converts it to 150k smuckers.
bladestorm

Postby 0beron » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:34 am

bladestorm wrote:The use of gems could also have some significance with Moneymancy. I assume Rulers have some sort of natural moneymancy ability that allows such a conversion.

Nobody but a Moneymancer can make schmuckers into Gems. Any commander can transform a gem into schmuckers, so that would presumably be a form of natural moneymancy. But I would assume that the "conversion rate" is constant. Maybe a moneymancer could spend juice to fudge the conversion factor slightly in their favor...but based on Benjamin's behavior thus far it seems like Moneymancers' abilities make them more like a financial adviser. They tell you when something is a bad deal, how much something could cost you in the long run, and presumably they make your finances more efficient so perhaps you spend less on upkeep or your cities produce more income.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Nnelg » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:18 pm

bladestorm wrote:The use of gems could also have some significance with Moneymancy. I assume Rulers have some sort of natural moneymancy ability that allows such a conversion. A gem that size could be worth 100k smuckers, but with Benjamin making the gem, it'd only cost 50k to make it and send it. If the recipient has particularly poor moneymancy, they may only get 75k smuckers when they convert the gem.

Reverse the process: Slately spends 100K on making the gem. Due to his Moneymancy, he sends a gem worth 75k. Benjamin receives said gem, and converts it to 150k smuckers.

If that was true, then I see no reason why Ben wouldn't already have been running the entire treasury through gems to make a profit. The closest I can imagine would be if a ruler without a Moneymancer has to spend 75k to make a gem worth 50k (and can be sold for that much regardless of moneymancy).
"The Wizard is Charlie!"
Nnelg

Postby bladestorm » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:50 pm

Nnelg wrote:
bladestorm wrote:The use of gems could also have some significance with Moneymancy. I assume Rulers have some sort of natural moneymancy ability that allows such a conversion. A gem that size could be worth 100k smuckers, but with Benjamin making the gem, it'd only cost 50k to make it and send it. If the recipient has particularly poor moneymancy, they may only get 75k smuckers when they convert the gem.

If that was true, then I see no reason why Ben wouldn't already have been running the entire treasury through gems to make a profit. The closest I can imagine would be if a ruler without a Moneymancer has to spend 75k to make a gem worth 50k (and can be sold for that much regardless of moneymancy).

He may be, but at what cost in juice? He may be doing it behind the scenes as part of making the finances easier to maintain, constantly converting unused smuckers into gems, then converting them back the next turn. He'd have to make sure there were enough smuckers in the coffers to maintain everyone's upkeep, but any extra could be 'invested' to be converted back on the next turn, at a profit. Something is paying upkeep on a ton of bats.

But even with such a hack, there would only be so much he could do per turn. He may have some tucked away as 'savings' in the form of gems not counted in the treasury, but the treasury is dwindling. He should go work for GK.
bladestorm

Postby ftl » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:10 pm

I think it's a pretty good guess that Benjamin is doing various moneymancy things on a regular basis to give Transylvito more schmuckers, and that the schmuckers he can produce is probably limited by his juice. It seems like sort of a default and obvious power for a moneymancer, to have a way of using his mancy to make money for his side!
ftl
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Previous

Return to Everything Else Erfworld