Book 2 – Page 92

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Page 92

Postby Lamech » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:48 pm

0beron wrote:
Lamech wrote:
I wrote:You're ignoring the massive expense of appointing an Heir Designate, which is what Wanda would have to do to give the new side to Sylvia...even though she is a brand new Overlady with a presumably empty treasury.
GK has plenty of cash floating around. The extra income will overrun that cost eventually.
Exactly, GK has tons of cash....if Wanda forms a new side, that cash is no longer hers to access!

Stanley can give her more money. Assuming he doesn't flip out of course.
Lamech

Postby Whispri » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:09 pm

Lamech wrote:Stanley can give her more money. Assuming he doesn't flip out of course.

He might be able to do that without a Moneymancer. It's even possible she'd pop an heir next turn, the City is popping one after all. But why on Erf would she ever agree? And with Decrypted Soldiers guarding Gobwin Knob's Garrisons, how on Erf could she be forced?
Whispri
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Sieggy » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:16 pm

Ummm . . . not to be paranoid or anything, but is Charlie listening to all this hugger mugger going on in thinkspace? The impression I've gotten is that he can tap anything with the dish, including encrypted G string communications (else how did Jojo know where and when to be and to be armed with what in order to intercept Parson).
The Truth Will Set You Free. But First It Will Piss You Off.
Sieggy

Postby Whispri » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:20 pm

cheeseaholic wrote:I'd like to point out that if Wanda goes independent and manages to take her decrypted with her there's going to be a lot of battles in GK cities as unled infantry go ballistic.

That or Stanley gets them. Which could be...interesting.

*Cough**Cough**Alliance**Cough*
Whispri

Postby OneHugeTuck » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:50 pm

Assuming that wanda is still 'heir' and could start her own side, wouldn't it be fun if they all came through the portal, took the city, Wanda claimed the city and started her own side, captured parson and the dirtamancer, and turned them.

Then we could get down to business.
OneHugeTuck
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby cheeseaholic » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:44 pm

Whispri wrote:
cheeseaholic wrote:I'd like to point out that if Wanda goes independent and manages to take her decrypted with her there's going to be a lot of battles in GK cities as unled infantry go ballistic.

I doubt that Stanley would give Wanda the go ahead to start a side. If she starts one by herself, at the very least there will be a slight delay before the alliance can be made. And that's assuming that you can start a side with an alliance intact at the beginning. Even if Stanley gives the ok there will be a slight delay for the alliance to start. I'm thinking it'll take a long conversation to get the alliance going. And if nothing else this book is showing what kind of mahem a long conversation can cause by not letting other things happen.
cheeseaholic

Postby niklinna » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:42 pm

Kaed wrote:
0beron wrote:Thoughts on the doll? I sure do love Nalga, he should be made heir.

I think that Slately is going to have a hissyfit when he finds out they broke his Holly keepsake.

And I'm glad you think so, I'll have to put him in the limelight more!

That doll bears more than a passing resemblance to Slately. I suspect some sort of switcharoo either in progress or coming up soon.
Last edited by niklinna on Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
niklinna
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby Chit Rule Railroad » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:02 pm

0beron wrote:Exactly, GK has tons of cash....if Wanda forms a new side, that cash is no longer hers to access!

More specifically, GK has tons of gems. Schmuckers to gems requires moneymancy, but gems to schmuckers only requires a Commander. If Sizemore (for example) thinks it would be in GK's best interests to bring a few through the MK, Duty would call for that.

As for why Wanda might turn the new side over to an underling and turn back to GK, it would all depend on her best guess as to how to unite the tools and the Tools.

Come to think of it, Wanda probably does have Toolist sympathies, or else why hasn't she considered that the easiest way to arrange for Charlie and Stanley to be on the same side would be to croak and decrypt one or both of them? Then she could take the Ruler she decrypted and they both could turn to the one still alive. Then the three combined Tools could track down and conquer the fourth Tool.

By Toolist sympathies, I mean that Wanda probably believes that the attuned deserve respect and autonomy; Wanda would see autonomy as the ability to answer directly to Fate, not as free will. Since only Rulers have autonomy, it would follow that each Tool should be a Ruler.
Chit Rule Railroad

Postby dogsx » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:17 am

I haven't been keeping up with the forums of late, but just wanted to toss this out there; the comic updates are moving so slowly because of Book 0. I haven't a clue what it is, which is a good thing, but perhaps the comic will mention a mechanic or a part of the lore of Erfworld that would ruin a plot twist in Book 0. Also, the reverse is possible, so the author is slightly stalling the comic's action to allow Book 0 to pass this point.
dogsx

Postby hyzhenhok » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:19 pm

[quote=Maggie]He finds the taking of lives abhorrent.
...As I suppose arguably we all should.[/quote]

Huh. Perhaps Maggie has begun to feel guilty about killing Misty?
hyzhenhok

Postby Saladman » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:26 pm

dogsx wrote:I haven't been keeping up with the forums of late, but just wanted to toss this out there; the comic updates are moving so slowly because of Book 0. I haven't a clue what it is, which is a good thing, but perhaps the comic will mention a mechanic or a part of the lore of Erfworld that would ruin a plot twist in Book 0. Also, the reverse is possible, so the author is slightly stalling the comic's action to allow Book 0 to pass this point.

Word of Rob is that one main page a week is all they can realistically keep up with, with or without the text updates. The text pages started as a way to throw us a bone on content, and I presume, to cover some ground the main comic wouldn't get to. So officially, the answer is no, they're not holding anything back deliberately.

Again, I'm generally in the camp of "it'll flow better in print." The recap between Parson and the Thinkamancers was frustratingly slow for me this update, but I'm even warming up to it now, it should just put a cap on the conversation in print if we do finally go to an action scene.
Saladman

Postby bladestorm » Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:03 pm

"We can drop you where you stand."

Can, but won't. They've invested way too much to get him there to fry him now.
bladestorm

Postby jkosta » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:35 pm

dogsx wrote:I haven't been keeping up with the forums of late, but just wanted to toss this out there; the comic updates are moving so slowly because of Book 0. I haven't a clue what it is, which is a good thing, but perhaps the comic will mention a mechanic or a part of the lore of Erfworld that would ruin a plot twist in Book 0. Also, the reverse is possible, so the author is slightly stalling the comic's action to allow Book 0 to pass this point.

Here, have a clue:

http://www.erfworld.com/2011/10/what-ha ... -about-it/
jkosta

Postby bladestorm » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:40 pm

On the idea that Wanda splits off onto her own side, some possible ideas of what kind of caster she'd end up popping.

Thinkamancer -- modeled after Emma Frost. (M Afrost?)
Dollamancer -- with the Fashion special, perhaps able to work well with latex, patent leather, silk, rubber, spandex, and metal.
Predictamancer -- If not Marie, then a submissive replacement of Delphie, possibly wearing a ball-gag as a cathartic counter to the many times the original Delphie verbally berated Wanda.
Florist - Fashionable thorns all over her attire, specializing in thorny items that cause delicious pain.
Turnamancer -- In full S&M gear, preferring the Very Hard Way of turning.
Lookamancer -- With a penchant for spying on Nookie sessions. Likes to 'watch'.
Shockamancer -- An expressive little tart with a penchant of mouthing off what everyone else is thinking, but not saying.
Hat Magician -- Always with a fashionable hat, and a new one for each occasion. Visually similar to the dark-haired chick with the Carnymancers.

That's all I got for now. Maybe more to come later, maybe not. Depends a lot on the next few updates.
bladestorm

Postby Lamech » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:01 pm

bladestorm wrote:On the idea that Wanda splits off onto her own side, some possible ideas of what kind of caster she'd end up popping.

Dollamancer -- with the Fashion special, perhaps able to work well with latex, patent leather, silk, rubber, spandex, and metal.
Predictamancer -- If not Marie, then a submissive replacement of Delphie, possibly wearing a ball-gag as a cathartic counter to the many times the original Delphie verbally berated Wanda.
Florist - Fashionable thorns all over her attire, specializing in thorny items that cause delicious pain.
Shockamancer -- An expressive little tart with a penchant of mouthing off what everyone else is thinking, but not saying.
Hat Magician -- Always with a fashionable hat, and a new one for each occasion. Visually similar to the dark-haired chick with the Carnymancers.

That's all I got for now. Maybe more to come later, maybe not. Depends a lot on the next few updates.

I like these. I wonder if Wanda will pop more multi-talent casters than normal.
Lamech

Postby Whispri » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:11 pm

bladestorm wrote:Wanda's gonna need a CWL, since I highly doubt Stanley is gonna let her leave with anything other than decrypted. Ansom is the obvious choice if Wanda can negotiate for his return, which should be a lot easier since he'd be serving Wanda rather than Stanley. Then we have Sylvia, who shares a similar fatalism as Wanda, and is showing quite a bit of initiative towards the destruction of her enemies. Archer also seems to be getting a job done, but in a completely different manner than Sylvia. Antium is also a strong choice since his experience is dictating that certain actions need to be done with a certain priority (the arguments about seizing the Garrison before Wanda ever entered the portal, the negligible effect of Parson's bonus provided they acted quickly enough, the statement about how the search and destroy should have already been done, etc). KC was a CWL previously, but I don't know enough about his record to make much of an argument for him. Sylvia definitely seems to be a fan favourite.

Ansom would be best if he could be recovered. Sylvia is certianly worth considering. Archer isn't, as he's low level. Antium seems to have a good head on his shoulders but appears to be lacking in initiative. KC is probably dust. However, if Wanda manages to Decrypt Artemis, well she's Level 8 and is one of the few Warlords in the City not afflcted with the stand around and do boop all bug. So, while Sylvia is Chief Warlord material and would have been the best choice for Ansom's replacement, I'd say Artemis should be Wanda's Chief Warlord if she can't recover Ansom.

cheeseaholic wrote:
Whispri wrote:

I doubt that Stanley would give Wanda the go ahead to start a side. If she starts one by herself, at the very least there will be a slight delay before the alliance can be made. And that's assuming that you can start a side with an alliance intact at the beginning. Even if Stanley gives the ok there will be a slight delay for the alliance to start. I'm thinking it'll take a long conversation to get the alliance going. And if nothing else this book is showing what kind of mahem a long conversation can cause by not letting other things happen.

*Cough**Cough**Automagicalcontract**Cough*

Saladman wrote:Word of Rob is that one main page a week is all they can realistically keep up with, with or without the text updates. The text pages started as a way to throw us a bone on content, and I presume, to cover some ground the main comic wouldn't get to. So officially, the answer is no, they're not holding anything back deliberately.

Again, I'm generally in the camp of "it'll flow better in print." The recap between Parson and the Thinkamancers was frustratingly slow for me this update, but I'm even warming up to it now, it should just put a cap on the conversation in print if we do finally go to an action scene.

I believe you've both ducked under dogsx's point, he appears to be speaking not of update speed, but is instead suggesting that Parson is currently circling the portal in a holding pattern, waiting for events in Book Zero to progress to a certain point.

bladestorm wrote:On the idea that Wanda splits off onto her own side, some possible ideas of what kind of caster she'd end up popping.

I was thinking her first Caster would be her daughter, a Dollamancer she could talk about fashion with. Staffa Firebaugh perhaps? She'd do Dolls, Scarecrows and Battle Bears but would be reallly keen on working with something else, like say, wood. Wooden Horses, Soldiers, Nutcrackers, that sort of thing.

I'd say a Predictamancer would be inevitable given Wanda's lady booper for Fate, but what I'm really hoping for is a Florist based on Crazy Dave from Plants Vs Zombies.

If Olive was Haffaton's Overlord all along, maybe the 'Chief Caster' part of that Prediction would come true somehow? Book Zero started with talk of resurrection as I recall...
Whispri

Postby bladestorm » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:32 am

Whispri wrote:I was thinking her first Caster would be her daughter, a Dollamancer she could talk about fashion with. Staffa Firebaugh perhaps? She'd do Dolls, Scarecrows and Battle Bears but would be reallly keen on working with something else, like say, wood. Wooden Horses, Soldiers, Nutcrackers, that sort of thing.

I'd say a Predictamancer would be inevitable given Wanda's lady booper for Fate, but what I'm really hoping for is a Florist based on Crazy Dave from Plants Vs Zombies.

If Olive was Haffaton's Overlord all along, maybe the 'Chief Caster' part of that Prediction would come true somehow? Book Zero started with talk of resurrection as I recall...

With a name like Staffa Firebaugh, maybe the Shockamancer, and she specializes in torching stuff. Her and Sylvia would get along so well. Or maybe Nuklea. the meaty Oric Firebaugh? Nah, that'd be better for a physical combat warlord heir. Derring Firebaugh? Maybe if it was a predictamancer or date-a-mancer. Rodda? Ringa? Ringo, to fit in with the Beatles references?
bladestorm

Postby Shai_hulud » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:42 am

Cinnamon Firebaugh, to go with the alcohol theme the comic has going on, plus it can be shortened to "Sin".
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby mortissimus » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:54 am

hyzhenhok wrote:
Maggie wrote:He finds the taking of lives abhorrent.
...As I suppose arguably we all should.

Huh. Perhaps Maggie has begun to feel guilty about killing Misty?

Nah, I think she sees the value of a philosophy that finds the taking of lives abhorrent, even if she does not subsrcibe to it.
mortissimus

Postby Whispri » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:54 pm

bladestorm wrote:
Whispri wrote:I was thinking her first Caster would be her daughter, a Dollamancer she could talk about fashion with. Staffa Firebaugh perhaps? She'd do Dolls, Scarecrows and Battle Bears but would be reallly keen on working with something else, like say, wood. Wooden Horses, Soldiers, Nutcrackers, that sort of thing.

With a name like Staffa Firebaugh, maybe the Shockamancer, and she specializes in torching stuff. Her and Sylvia would get along so well. Or maybe Nuklea. the meaty Oric Firebaugh? Nah, that'd be better for a physical combat warlord heir. Derring Firebaugh? Maybe if it was a predictamancer or date-a-mancer. Rodda? Ringa? Ringo, to fit in with the Beatles references?

Hmm, Gigaton Firebaugh? I suppose Octarine Firebaugh is out, but Crimson Firebaugh? Tawney Firebaugh, Azure Firebaugh, Sable Firebaugh, ... actually the Magick Kingdom was divided into colours as I recall, so a Caster-Daughter being named after the colour of the magic would work pretty well. If a naughty, naughty mancer of the Shockmancer variety, how 'bout Gules Firebaugh?

Shai_hulud wrote:Cinnamon Firebaugh, to go with the alcohol theme the comic has going on, plus it can be shortened to "Sin".

I like that one.
Whispri

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions