Kreistor wrote:It doesn't matter if Parson wins GK this turn or loses. Parson is dead if he loses.
He faces Charlescomm if he wins. Charlie's Turn order is before GK. And we know Charlie has overwhelming forces he can bring to bear. Parson cannot escape Spacerock, except through the MK.
There is now only one way out.
1) Parson needs to win Spacerock.
2) Stanley needs to make Spacerock the Capital.
3) Wanda and the other casters need to re-enter Spacerock.
4) Wanda decrypts EVERYTHING!
5) Parson must defend Spacerock against Charlie.
Every other future winds up with Parson dead or captured. I do not see any other way for the story to go forward, without the entire paradigm shifting. I do not believe Rob has any intention of that, since Parson as Perfect Warlord fails to be proven.
Just curious, does anyone think that Parson has thought as far ahead as step (2) in this plan? I'd like to think so, but I would also have liked to see some indication of it.
If Stanley had more trust in Wanda or Parson, he would probably prefer that one of them found a new, allied Side at Spacerock. Some indication that Parson was thinking about this would also have been good.
The safest way to use this tactic would be
- GK troops position themselves to defend Spacerock. Many remain in the Garrison to be in a position to take the city back for GK from the new Side, if necessary.
- One warlord is ordered to found a new Side. This might need to be Parson, but ideally it would be someone less important. I am assuming that the presence of non-hostile allied units does not prevent the capture of a city by a warlord.
- Only the units that really need the freedom to move between zones off-turn are ordered to turn to the new Side. Wanda is definitely not included.
- GK indefinitely keeps a strong force in Spacerock's Garrison to maintain the vassal status.
Another plan Parson could have made (which depends on Slately not making it to the throne room), would be to keep some Jetstone units trapped in a room in the Garrison, blocking the door to prevent them from auto-attacking. Meanwhile, Wanda would decrypt Jetstone troops left and right. When the trapped units are the only Jetstone units left, Parson and the casters he/Stanley wants at GK would retreat to the MK before letting the remaining GK units formally take Spacerock. Left behind would be a new decrypted army to hold Spacerock against the RCC2. Even if Charlescomm had a lot of archons nearby, I don't see why he would attack Spacerock if Parson and Wanda weren't there.
Of course, even if Slately doesn't make it to the throne room, Charlie could disrupt this plan by providing the thinkamancy to convey Tram's disband order to the trapped units...though Cubbins's incapacitation could throw a monkey wrench into that if only a conscious unit can disband.
I'm not suggesting that Parson actually did make this plan, since he should have communicated it already if it was what he had in mind. Also, he should have been anticipating that Slately would find a way to appoint an Heir and switch the capital to Jetstone city.