Darkness Rising - Now Recruiting

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

Darkness Rising - Now Recruiting

Postby MarbitChow » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:10 am

The Darkness Rising campaign has been running for a couple of months now. The game was originally restricted to 8 characters, since I had no idea where it was going to go. I still have no idea where it's ultimately headed, but if you're interested in joining the gang, I'm opening it up to all who want to participate. The campaign is a tactical cooperative RPG in an Erfworld-style universe. Links to the rules and the campaign are in my signature, below.

A couple of you have already expressed interest in joining, so please post your desired characters here. Note that the newest version of the rules is at the END of the rules thread currently, but it will either be moved to the beginning of the thread, or re-posted in a new thread once those rules go live.

If you have a particular look you'd like the character to have, feel free to describe them, and I'll do my best to render it. (I've got very little actual artistic talent, but I can copy and modify pretty well. :D ) Also feel free give a try at rendering your own - sources at http://www.juniorgeneral.org/ have acted as templates for almost all of the units in the campaign so far. (I reserve the right to further modify any images you submit so that it matches what I perceive as the style of the campaign.)

New characters all start at Level 1. Since casters are *supposed* to be rare, if you want to play a caster, please provide details for both a caster and a non-caster unit that you'd like to play. I'll let random chance determine whether you pop as the caster or not, but I'll tell you now, your odds aren't good... but hey, that 20-sided dice DOES come up 20 every once in a while. The odds of a foolamancer are a bit higher, and the odds of a foolamancer that clearly isn't a Jack-clone or Joker-clone is even higher still, but there's a hard limit of 1 foolamancer no matter what. (And just because someone may have asked to play it before you, feel free to list that as your first choice as well - they might not make their roll, after all...)

Players all share XP at the end of each scenario. Additional individual XP can be rewarded for roleplaying during 'downtime' as well.
MarbitChow

Re: Darkness Rising - Now Recruiting

Postby LTDave » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:31 am

I would to post here and publicly congratulate Marbitchow on running the most successful multiplayer game on these forums thus far. At 46 pages and thousands of posts, Darkness Rising has well passed all the other games.

I've not played in it myself, but I have tried to read along, and I think you've done a bang up job. The art is great, and must have taken you ages. Well Done! Kudos!

:D :) ;) :( :o :shock: :? 8-) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :mrgreen:

(I'm not joining in the bigger version either. Too complicated for little ol' me)
LTDave

Postby 0beron » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:14 am

I'll jump in with an Archer saving up spare points to gain Leadership at level 2.
Name: Vinny Starcall
I will try my hand at rendering a likeness, but for now the following description:
A fairly tall man by nature, Vinny's height was made more disturbing by the cold, calculating look in his ice-blue eyes. Add to this the platinum blonde hair and dark tan complexion, and this was a unit that had an other-worldly appearance to him. He wears leather armor into battle, decorated very simply in his side's colors, and carries a greatbow wherever he goes. Though he lacks the Leadership special, there is a spark in his eyes that shows a natural gift for tactics and strategy.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby MarbitChow » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:55 am

0beron wrote:I'll jump in with an Archer saving up spare points to gain Leadership at level 2.
Name: Vinny Starcall
I will try my hand at rendering a likeness, but for now the following description:
A fairly tall man by nature, Vinny's height was made more disturbing by the cold, calculating look in his ice-blue eyes. Add to this the platinum blonde hair and dark tan complexion, and this was a unit that had an other-worldly appearance to him. He wears leather armor into battle, decorated very simply in his side's colors, and carries a greatbow wherever he goes. Though he lacks the Leadership special, there is a spark in his eyes that shows a natural gift for tactics and strategy.

Note that the tan complexion is a bit unusual for Tenebresian units. :) The side started as a mercenary side that claimed a poorly-defended capital site, so they'd welcome additional mercenaries if you want a different look & feel to the current units. When I get home tonight, I can also provide an image of the standard Tenebresian archer unit for reference.
MarbitChow

Postby 0beron » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:07 am

MarbitChow wrote:Note that the tan complexion is a bit unusual for Tenebresian units. When I get home tonight, I can also provide an image of the standard Tenebresian archer unit for reference.

Would a naturally dark or grey complexion be more usual? If not then sure, I'll go with the backstory of being a new mercenary joining the side.
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby MarbitChow » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:49 am

0beron wrote:
MarbitChow wrote:Note that the tan complexion is a bit unusual for Tenebresian units. When I get home tonight, I can also provide an image of the standard Tenebresian archer unit for reference.

Would a naturally dark or grey complexion be more usual? If not then sure, I'll go with the backstory of being a new mercenary joining the side.

Grey is most typical. See Bill and Triage for examples of the standard complexion. You can get a good look at Bill in this animation: (click).
MarbitChow

Postby 0beron » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:56 am

Ok, I think I'll stick with the idea of being another mercenary who turned to Tenebresia, and I'll have a naturally tan complexion.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Lord of Monies » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:39 pm

Been a busy couple of days, now I'm back! Character time!

Name: Brick Wall
Warrior class.
Abilities: Guard, Interpose, Bodyguard, Beefy
Stats: 5/5/8/22 C/D/M/H
Bio: Bigger and built better than your average warrior, Brick has a heart of gold and a smile on his features at all times. His short brown hair has a tendency to be messy almost instantly after any attempt at cleaning it up but it doesn't seem to bother him. A sword sits in a sheath on his waist that feels more comfortable when held by one of his large fists.
With the dawning of each new day, my evil machinations inch me closer to world domination. And also breakfast.
Lord of Monies

Postby Fkrts » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:18 pm

Thinking about joining. I just need to come up with concept.
Fkrts

Postby Nnelg » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:05 am

Well, I think I'd like to try my hand at this, but... I'm more used to games of vastly different scale. I'll probably need someone to help me through things, at least at first.

EDIT:
Well, I've looked at the rules and a bit of the gameplay, and I'm even less sure of whether I want to join or not now.

I've never been able to work well within a group dynamic. I think I'd probably have more fun running such a game than participating in it. Hm...

On top of that, my first two picks for a character are unlikely to be gratified (Mathamancer & Thinkamancer).
"The Wizard is Charlie!"
Nnelg

Postby MarbitChow » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:06 am

Nnelg wrote:I think I'd probably have more fun running such a game than participating in it.
Feel free to use the rules or alter the rules for your own games. :D

Nnelg wrote:On top of that, my first two picks for a character are unlikely to be gratified (Mathamancer & Thinkamancer).
You are correct. No PC Thinkamancers or Mathamancers (although Swodaems already acts as the group's unofficial mathamancer...). A PC Thinkamancer with caster links is too much like a cheat code, and so I'm reserving those for the NPCs. :twisted:
MarbitChow

Postby Lord of Monies » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:10 am

But us hiring one wouldn't be out of the question maybe? How negotiable would Charlie be on a matter such as that, I wonder.
With the dawning of each new day, my evil machinations inch me closer to world domination. And also breakfast.
Lord of Monies

Postby MarbitChow » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:20 pm

Lord of Monies wrote:But us hiring one wouldn't be out of the question maybe? How negotiable would Charlie be on a matter such as that, I wonder.

Hiring? Sure. But note that most Thinkamancers won't hire out for links - that's far too dangerous. You *might* be able to find one that's willing, but it will be very expensive, and breaking the link will risk the other casters in the link. (You would not be able to order them to absorb the backlash, like Parson was going to do to Maggie.) You will not be able to hire other casters to participate in a link - you'd have to risk PCs.
MarbitChow

Postby Lord of Monies » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:32 pm

Yeah, the latter makes sense. As does the former too, so Charlie might still be our best bet on that. I mean, arkendish, so pretty much guaranteed no backlash and he'll surely be co-operative as we're paying him. The only concern would be what his rates for that might be. Astronomical, I imagine.
Lord of Monies

Postby Nnelg » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:39 pm

MarbitChow wrote:A PC Thinkamancer with caster links is too much like a cheat code, and so I'm reserving those for the NPCs. :twisted:

Oh; actually the thought of a link never occurred to me, lol. What I was looking for was to get a support role.

I guess... I guess then I'll try to go for a Foolamancer. You appear not to have one, and said that we'd be more likely to get that kind of caster than others. Also, my head's starting to swim with all the possibilities of illusionary units...

Here goes:
Name: "Noone Ofimp Ortance" ("Nemo" for short)

Well, I've got absolutely zero experience writing character descriptions, so it'll probably take a bit of back-and-forth discussion to get what I'm thinking of across. But let me assure you, he's pretty much Jack's polar opposite.

I'm going for an "Illuminati"-style look. Big, black robe with a hood that's eternally dark. Large gold talisman. Black gloved hands. Nothing that confirms that this isn't just some animated wardrobe.

As for exact depiction, I'm thinking a hunched over sort of pose, with arms folded into each other's sleeves. Failing that, one hand resting on a short cane with a silver knob, with the other raised with an aura of shadow. (Which may be hard to do with a black-gloved hand... Perhaps a very dark red would suffice.)

I haven't yet figured out what I'll do if I don't get caster, though. Besides Leadership, none of the abilities look conductive to what I'd like to do with my character.

EDIT:
By the way, I just noticed that you seem to be in the middle of a siege. I take it that, if I join, I'll show up somehow after the end of said battle?
"The Wizard is Charlie!"
Nnelg

Postby Fkrts » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:42 pm

I think I'm going to take over Comet. I hope this doesn't cause any issues. Will I be able to update him?
Fkrts

Postby MarbitChow » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:13 pm

My apologies for the late response on this; I missed the original post.

Nnelg wrote:I guess... I guess then I'll try to go for a Foolamancer. You appear not to have one, and said that we'd be more likely to get that kind of caster than others. Also, my head's starting to swim with all the possibilities of illusionary units...
Here goes: Name: "Noone Ofimp Ortance" ("Nemo" for short)
I like the look and the idea. And the dice have been kind to you - Foolamancer it is. :D

Nnelg wrote:EDIT: By the way, I just noticed that you seem to be in the middle of a siege. I take it that, if I join, I'll show up somehow after the end of said battle?
Yes, although this battle is looking bad for the Elves before it even really gets under way, so it will probably get resolved somewhat quickly. You'll need to wait for a turn or two after the fight in order to pop before you can show up. Note that since Foolamancy hasn't really been play-tested yet, it's still subject to change. I don't think I'll change what it can do, but how hard or easy for foolamancy to be spotted might be altered.

Fkrts wrote:I think I'm going to take over Comet. I hope this doesn't cause any issues. Will I be able to update him?
Since Comet is a flier, he starts with a standard set of stats and abilities, but once he levels, you'll be able to choose how he gets customized from that point on.
MarbitChow

Postby Fkrts » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:34 pm

Yes I still want to. It's just been a while since I've read the rules. I'll be sure to read them before posting over there.
Fkrts

Postby tigerusthegreat » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:24 am

Question: can a spearmen eventually gain a limited ranged ability (I'm thinking something like a Roman Legionaire, who had a javelin...not ranged enough to be an archer but more than the 2 squares that is supposed to represent a longspear).

Either way:

Bear A'billda (Dollamancer) [Caster: 3 Combat / 1 Defense / 4 Hits. 8 Square Move. 8 Overland Hex Move. Fire. Special: Caster Dollamancer, 8 Juice]
*Craft Cloak

Bear is a Dollamancer who has one dream: customizable cloth golems. He wants to open a Workshop where people can come to customize their golems, and be assisted by a Dollamancer to fill them with fluff, give them a heart, and animate them into merciless killing machines. One day his Bear A'billda Workshop will be a reality, but until then, he will fight for whatever side has the coin to bankroll his research.

But the more likely character (and those who read Prehendo will recognize him):

Regus the Great (Spearman) [Spearman: 5 Combat / 4 Defense / 12 Hits. 8 Square Move. 8 Overland Hex Move. Strike.]
Specials:
Leadership [3 AP]

Regus is a mercenary commander, cast out from his own side for not being a caster that was desperately needed. He wanders the world looking for purpose.
Prehendo Victoria - My first erfworld story. Comment thread

Last Updated 6/25/2014

Imperial Destiny (My Science Fiction Story) Updated 6/24/2014 (First Page)
Party Raid, a TCG Development Journal Updated 6/24/14
tigerusthegreat

Postby MarbitChow » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:53 am

tigerusthegreat wrote:Question: can a spearmen eventually gain a limited ranged ability (I'm thinking something like a Roman Legionaire, who had a javelin...not ranged enough to be an archer but more than the 2 squares that is supposed to represent a longspear).
The upcoming revision to Dollamancy will allow dollamancers to create an items that does just what you're suggesting. I'll consider making an ability that does something similar.

tigerusthegreat wrote:Regus the Great (Spearman) Regus is a mercenary commander, cast out from his own side for not being a caster that was desperately needed. He wanders the world looking for purpose.
The group already has a dollamancer, so the odds of you getting one were low, and you didn't make it. Regus, and a few units under his command, will enter the battle space in a few turns.
MarbitChow

Next

Return to Your Games