Age of Titans v0.0

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

Re: Age of Titans v0.0

Postby LTDave » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:35 am

Ternamancy - your opponent becomes a common sea-bird...

or "No Bad Turn Goes Unpunished" - cancel the effect of any other card...
LTDave

Postby Nnelg » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:49 pm

Hm, well I think that I should clarify how I'm going about the magic system a bit.

First off, I'll be giving each caster an inherent spell (or two) they can use any time by pitching cards they don't want. For instance, raising uncroaked for croakamancers and speeding up production for turnamancers. By doing this, I hope to feel free to make card effects as specific as I want without worrying if they'll ever be useful.

I've already given an example for the "punny name" approach for designing cards. The aim of this is supposed to be coming up with all sorts of unusual -but useful- spells that might not be considered otherwise (for instance, the "Turn the Tide" card). I went a bit overboard with this last night. It's ok to keep sending the 'silly' card ideas, though; you never know when one might actually turn out to be useful. Also, the pun doesn't need to be in the name, for instance the potential croakamancy spell "Rain of Frogs".

What's more important than names, though, are card effects. I guess this will really have to wait until I get around to writing the actual rules & mechanics.
"The Wizard is Charlie!"
Nnelg

Postby Nnelg » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:56 pm

Ok, a question for you guys:

Should all stacks move in one phase, followed by all combats in one phase (with potential subsequent moves afterwards); or should stacks conduct all their moves and combats (including potential subsequent moves and combats) one at a time?

It's a simple question, but an important one. It affects the flow of gameplay, as well as the entire feel of the game. The former favors play-by-post and large armies of multiple stacks; the latter real-time play and at most maybe a half-dozen active stacks a side.

I'm thinking of a hybrid system too, but I'd like to hear what you guys think of the two basic possibilities.
"The Wizard is Charlie!"
Nnelg

Previous

Return to Your Games