Darkness Rising

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

Darkness Rising

Postby MarbitChow » Tue May 15, 2012 9:29 pm

King Creperum leans back in his throne, and looks out over his assembled champions. A few dozen turns ago, some, such as the Daemon Cupid and William the archer, were barbarians who had popped in the wilderness with Creperum and proven their worth. Others, like the heavy warrior champions and commander, were newly popped expressly for this mission. A lone shockamancer, captured and turned when the capital was conquered, stood proudly in the center. His love of ‘experimentation’ had caused him to be exiled here, ‘safely’ in an allied city; the elves could not stomach his entertainment. When the capital fell, it didn’t feel like turning to him; it felt like coming home. A dark-haired croakamancer, newly popped as the first unit in the new capital, leaned casually against the wall, whispering to a sickly-looking healamancer with firey red hair, who popped only last turn. The Titans clearly knew that a bloodbath was coming.

"It is time, my minions," Creperum orated. "The elven lands are ripe for plucking, Our capital, Tenebris, rests in the mountain range that the elves falsely believe protects their flank. They allowed a faded and irrelevant side to hold this capital site, rather than claiming it for themselves, and that shall be their undoing. Already, forces are moving towards one of their cities, Sunshine Dale. You will rendezvous with those troops, and lead them to take the city."

"But first, I have a gift for you. I have been sending beasts, alone and in pairs, to one of their rural farm hexes. In order to protect the farm, they’ve stationed a small force there. Go there, and destroy the elven fodder. Learn to work together, and hone your skills. Expand our terrain. And, once you have triumphed at the farm, make your way to the Dale, rejoin my army, and bring a permanent sunset to their abhorrent Sunshine."

"I have purchased a number of scrolls to assist you in your endeavours. They have already been distributed to the casters. Use them at your discretion, but note that our coffers remain low. We cannot afford to replace them if they are squandered."

"Now go, and bring glory to our side. Hail, the night! Hail, the darkness! Hail, champions of Tenebris!"

-----

Each player has 2 remaining Move left for this turn. The players begin on the other side of the hex border. The elves are unable to leave the hex, but each player is able to cross the hex border once to engage combat, and once to escape. Escaping will use up your final move, so you cannot re-enter combat this turn if you flee.

Each character (except Fliers) can move 8 squares in any direction (including diagonally) each phase. Fliers can move 12. Specify the coordinates of the square you wish to occupy. Only one unit can occupy a square at a time on a given level (ground / air). Since Cupid is the only flier in this scenario, Cupid can hover over an otherwise occupied square. Specify "Move to C-7" to move to the square directly in front of the elf warrior in the upper left, for example.

Attacks can target any square immediately surrounding the unit. Strikes can target out 2 squares in any direction, including diagonally, so the elf spearman at C-9 can hit someone standing at E-7. Fire can hit any target that you have line-of-sight on. However, note that non-magical Fire attacks against targets immediately behind other targets (say, the archer at D-9) gain a +4 cover bonus if you attempt to shoot them from the same level. Firing at them from above negates the cover bonus.

Remember that combat is resolved in the order of highest combat first. If you wish, you can make your orders conditional (for example, 'heal the most wounded if any are at less than half hits, otherwise target the most wounded enemy').

Since there are exactly 8 of you, you are assumed to be in a single stack with Tod and are all benefiting from his leadership bonus of +1 Combat / +1 Defense.

Player and Enemy Stats:
Spoiler: show
DARKNESS:
Tod (Swodaems): Spearman [ 5 Combat / 4 Defense / 12 Hits. Strike. Special: Leadership]
T. Coil (ETheBoyce): Caster [ 3 Combat / 1 Defense / 4 Hits. Fire. Special: Shockamancer 1. 8 Juice.] Scroll: Revitalize x3. Scroll: Renew x2
Yuri (Exate): Warrior [ 8 Combat / 9 Defense / 24 Hits. Attack. Special: Heavy.]
Rolf (Werebiscuit): Warrior [ 8 Combat / 9 Defense / 24 Hits. Attack. Special: Heavy.]
Bill (The Colonel): Caster [ 3 Combat / 1 Defense / 4 Hits. Fire. Special: Croakamancer 1. 8 Juice.] Scroll: Bone Puppeteer x2. Scroll: Lucky Streak
Cupid (HerbieRai): Flier [ 4 Combat / 4 Defense / 8 Hits. Fire. Special: Fly]
William Showend Tell (BLANDCorporatio): Archer [ 10 Combat / 3 Defense / 10 Hits. Fire. Special: Well-Armed]
Triage (WaterMonkey314): Caster [ 3 Combat / 1 Defense / 4 Hits. Fire. Special: Healamancy 1. 8 Juice.] Scroll: Hoboken x2. Scroll: Ickypron

ELVES:
{C-8} W-1 Elf Warrior [5 Combat / 5 Defense / 14 Hits. Attack {Block}.]
{D-8} W-2 Elf Warrior [5 Combat / 5 Defense / 14 Hits. Attack {Block}.]
{E-8} W-3 Elf Warrior [5 Combat / 5 Defense / 14 Hits. Attack {Block}.]
{F-8} W-4 Elf Warrior [5 Combat / 5 Defense / 14 Hits. Attack {Block}.]
{G-8} W-5 Elf Warrior [5 Combat / 5 Defense / 14 Hits. Attack {Block}.]
{H-8} W-6 Elf Warrior [5 Combat / 5 Defense / 14 Hits. Attack {Block}.]

{C-9} S-1 Elf Spearman [ 5 Combat / 4 Defense / 12 Hits. Strike {Guard}.]
{E-9} S-2 Elf Spearman [ 5 Combat / 4 Defense / 12 Hits. Strike {Guard}.]
{F-9} S-3 Elf Spearman [ 5 Combat / 4 Defense / 12 Hits. Strike {Guard}.]
{H-9} S-4 Elf Spearman [ 5 Combat / 4 Defense / 12 Hits. Strike {Guard}.]

{D-9} A-1 Elf Archer [ 7 Combat / 3 Defense / 10 Hits. Fire. ]
{G-9} A-1 Elf Archer [ 7 Combat / 3 Defense / 10 Hits. Fire. ]

Please submit your moves no later than 7pm Central Time.
MarbitChow

Re: Darkness Rising

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Wed May 16, 2012 5:05 am

Holy shit, I have the highest combat! (Yep that was intentional and I want to keep it that way if/when I level by investing in +combat abilities).

Will Showend Tell will wait for our tanks to move inside the hex then move in himself, after which he'll fire at the 9D archer (or the other one if the defense is smaller). I expect two shots will be needed to take the fellow down.
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Werebiscuit » Wed May 16, 2012 6:24 am

Yuri I suggest we flank 'em *Shouts Rolf as he moves to B-2 and prepares to get peppered*
Werebiscuit

Postby HerbieRai » Wed May 16, 2012 7:24 am

Cupid will first hide behind Rolf, then realize he cant exactly hide up in the air. He will and move to A1fire at the archer in 9D as well, and hope for a good attack roll. Dang low combat score.
HerbieRai

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Wed May 16, 2012 7:40 am

Croak-stealer.

Oh hey, it says combat +2d6. This means Will may make anywhere from 12 to 22 damage. Minus 3 def -4 2nd row makes that 5 to 15. After that, it depends on who guards who.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby MarbitChow » Wed May 16, 2012 8:12 am

A quick note, in case others missed the discussion in the Sign-Up thread:

I'm considering changing the Caster leveling progression from gaining bonus Caster abilities at 3, 6, and 9 to bonus AP at the same levels.
This would allow casters to take Mighty Blow, Block, Dance Fighting, etc. eventually.
I'd restrict casters from taking Beefy and Heavy, like fliers are restricted, but I'd also add in some caster-specific abilities, such as:

(Can be purchased multiple times:)
Potent (1 AP) - +6 Juice

(Can only be taken once:)
[Requires Healmancy] Medic (1 AP) - Healamancy spells heal an additional 2d6
[Requires Shockamancy] Shocker (1 AP) - Shockamancy spells deal an additional d6*
[Requires Croakamancy] Ghoul Lord (1 AP) - Leadership (Uncroaked only)
[Requires Luckamancy] Fortunate (1 AP) - Caster gains +d6 Defense for the round. Always on. This roll is also subject to Luckamancy.**
[Requires Hippymancy] Peaceful (1 AP) - All hippymancy spells last an additional round

* I realize that the Lucky Streak - Hoboken combo would be even more devastating, and if you're able to get it off for 3 rounds while everything on the other side does it's best to croak you, you deserve it.
** Yes, having this would give a caster +6 Defense while blazing away with their Lucky Hobokens...

Thoughts?
MarbitChow

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Wed May 16, 2012 8:35 am

Mmyeaah. I don't think the focus right now is to increase power of casters, mmkay.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Exate » Wed May 16, 2012 9:42 am

Yuri will move to A-3. That should give all the squishies enough room behind us to form up and start blasting.

Edit: Orders obsolete, new ones issued below.
Last edited by Exate on Wed May 16, 2012 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exate
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!

Postby Werebiscuit » Wed May 16, 2012 10:07 am

*coughs*
MarbitChow wrote:-----

Each player has 2 remaining Move left for this turn. The players begin on the other side of the hex border.

Or am I reading move wrong ? If that IS the case I'd like to move to B-3
Werebiscuit

Postby MarbitChow » Wed May 16, 2012 10:12 am

Werebiscuit wrote:*coughs*
MarbitChow wrote:Each player has 2 remaining Move left for this turn. The players begin on the other side of the hex border.

That's 2 "Overland" move - in other words, Erfworld cross-hex move. Internal ('lower case') move is 8/12 squares per turn, and you get the full amount of internal move each phase.
MarbitChow

Postby Werebiscuit » Wed May 16, 2012 10:14 am

Ah.... in that case... *Retconjuration in progress*
Werebiscuit

Postby MarbitChow » Wed May 16, 2012 10:16 am

Also, don't forget to specify your actions. If you move to a space where you can't currently attack, you can specify conditional orders such as "attack the first unit that comes within range" or "attack whoever looks the weakest in range" or "attack whoever player X is attacking."

If you don't specify an action, I'll select a likely target based on the layout for you, but if you want to coordinate attacks, you'll need to make that clear.
MarbitChow

Postby Werebiscuit » Wed May 16, 2012 10:26 am

Werebiscuit wrote:Yuri I suggest we flank 'em *Shouts Rolf as he moves to B-8 and prepares kebab elf spearman C-9*

What do you mean B-2 ?....nothing to see here.... move along....
Werebiscuit

Postby MarbitChow » Wed May 16, 2012 10:55 am

Werebiscuit wrote:
Werebiscuit wrote:Yuri I suggest we flank 'em *Shouts Rolf as he moves to B-8 and prepares kebab elf spearman C-9*

What do you mean B-2 ?....nothing to see here.... move along....

So, just to be clear, your intention (after 'retconjuration') is to move to B-8 and attack C-9, correct?
MarbitChow

Postby Werebiscuit » Wed May 16, 2012 11:11 am

*nods" I don't see how only 2 high defense characters can protect more than 1 "squishy" without being easily flanked so my aim is to either turn the line or get to the bowmen. If we can get them down then the flier has a chance to pick off some more without retailation.
Even if we can quickly croak a couple it will give the croakamancer a chance to aid us. until then I suggest the casters stay out.
Werebiscuit

Postby HerbieRai » Wed May 16, 2012 11:20 am

Can range units attack across the Hex Boundry? Reason being, I wont be in the hex during the archers turn unless they let me get a shot off first.
Also, I am immune to melee swords and spears, correct?

As long as I'm immune, I'm going to fly over the melee guy in C8 and shoot the archer in D9 almost point blank. You wont get the rank defense bonus against me.
HerbieRai

Postby ETheBoyce » Wed May 16, 2012 12:11 pm

"All it takes is a little spark, and then you're gonna FRY! The Croakmancer can make you dance while croaked, I make you dance while alive! Mweeheeheehee"

Wait for all enemies to go then move to I1, Cast Hiya target as follows: Any enemy with 5 or less hits remaining, if no enemies have that few hits, cast on the lowest hit enemy with a preference for archer units
ETheBoyce
YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby MarbitChow » Wed May 16, 2012 12:20 pm

HerbieRai wrote:Can range units attack across the Hex Boundry? Reason being, I wont be in the hex during the archers turn unless they let me get a shot off first.

Attacks and spells cannot cross the boundry. If you wait until the archers have fired, they cannot hit you unless they save their action to shoot you when you cross.
However, if they do so, and you do not cross, they forfeit their actions.

HerbieRai wrote:Also, I am immune to melee swords and spears, correct?

As long as you are in the air, yes. There may be a scenario that occurs indoors, however, which might negate flight. (Tunnels, for example.)

HerbieRai wrote:As long as I'm immune, I'm going to fly over the melee guy in C8 and shoot the archer in D9 almost point blank. You wont get the rank defense bonus against me.

Just for clarification, note that they don't get the cover bonus against you no matter where you are on the field, as long as you are 'above' them (flying, for example).
MarbitChow

Postby Exate » Wed May 16, 2012 12:31 pm

In light of Rolf's new action, Yuri will take the opposite flanking position by charging to I-8 and hitting the Elf Spearman at H-9. We're both likely to get swarmed but there's little to be done about that, and hitting the Warrior next to Rolf's target means likely pinging off someone with Guard+Guard+Block running for a whopping 14 defense total- foolish and useless. Nothing for it but to charge and trust in darkness to see us through.
Exate

Postby MarbitChow » Wed May 16, 2012 5:50 pm

Summary of the submitted moves so far:

Yuri (Exate): Warrior [ 8 Combat / 9 Defense / 24 Hits. Attack. Special: Heavy.]
Move to I-8, Attack H-9

Rolf (Werebiscuit): Warrior [ 8 Combat / 9 Defense / 24 Hits. Attack. Special: Heavy.]
Move to B-8 and Attack C-9

William Showend Tell (BLANDCorporatio): Archer [ 10 Combat / 3 Defense / 10 Hits. Fire. Special: Well-Armed]
Move to ??? and Fire 9-D

Tod (Swodaems): Spearman [ 5 Combat / 4 Defense / 12 Hits. Strike. Special: Leadership]
(( NO MOVES YET ))

Cupid (HerbieRai): Flier [ 4 Combat / 4 Defense / 8 Hits. Fire. Special: Fly]
Move to C-8 and Fire 9-D

T. Coil (ETheBoyce): Caster [ 3 Combat / 1 Defense / 4 Hits. Fire. Special: Shockamancer 1. 8 Juice.] Scroll: Revitalize x3. Scroll: Renew x2
Move to I-1, Cast Hiya target as follows: Any enemy with 5 or less hits remaining, if no enemies have that few hits, cast on the lowest hit enemy with a preference for archer units

Bill (The Colonel): Caster [ 3 Combat / 1 Defense / 4 Hits. Fire. Special: Croakamancer 1. 8 Juice.] Scroll: Bone Puppeteer x2. Scroll: Lucky Streak
(( NO MOVES YET ))

Triage (WaterMonkey314): Caster [ 3 Combat / 1 Defense / 4 Hits. Fire. Special: Healamancy 1. 8 Juice.] Scroll: Hoboken x2. Scroll: Ickypron
(( NO MOVES YET ))

Please have all moves submitted by 7pm CST. If you have not entered a move, your Dark Lord will assign a move to you as he sees fit...
MarbitChow

Next

Return to Your Games