IRC Channel

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

IRC Channel

Postby balder » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:42 am

There is a permanent #Erfworld channel open at irc.treeofworlds.net. Point your IRC client there, or you should be able to connect through most browsers by clicking here:

http://treeofworlds.net/irc/erfworld.html

or try

irc.tellaerad.net port 6667 in your IRC client, host is Atlantis.TelLaerad.net

I will be in there from time to time as RobTitan, usually saying more than I should about Erfworld. The ONE RULE of the room (other than don't be a dick) is that you may NOT quote what I say as Word of God. There's a lot of thinking out loud. Anything I say in there is not canon, and may be changed, ignored, or totally reversed. Also there are a lot more questions I won't answer than ones I will. Don't go there for me, go to hang out with other Erfworld fans.
balder

Re: IRC Channel

Postby Ferrous » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:21 am

So the server is Treeofworlds?
Ferrous

Postby balder » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:30 am

Ferrous wrote:So the server is Treeofworlds?

Correct. irc.treeofworlds.net
balder

Postby BowenTheKotoc » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:59 pm

Due to popular request, I have created a #Erfworld-trivia channel with a trivia bot. The bot should give you instructions on how to use it when you join the channel. You can join the channel from the main #Erfworld channel by typing "/join #Erfworld-trivia". That should open a new tab or window to that trivia channel without disconnecting you from the #Erfworld channel.

As of this time, the bot is set up with the generic trivia that came with it, so I need some Erfworld trivia submissions to make it an actual Erfworld trivia bot. If you'd like to submit some trivia questions and answers, please send me a PM with one question and answer per line in the following format: question*answer*alternative answer

Example:
What nickname does Parson make up for Stanley?*Tool*The Tool

Thanks for your help and I hope you enjoy the bot.
BowenTheKotoc
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby Lady Nerevar » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:26 pm

ive been working through the comic making questions. it would be cool if someone could do the same for the summer updates :)

(im at 130 questions and halfway through book 1 atm)
Lady Nerevar

Postby gameboy1234 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:36 pm

If you use ChatZilla with FireFox, or you have a mime type set for your browser to handle IRC links, the following link will take you straight to the chat room:

irc://irc.treeofworlds.net/ErfWorld
"Do it?" Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome?

I did it thirty-five minutes ago.

gameboy1234
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby Justyn » Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:16 am

Spoiler: show
Hey, um, I'm having some trouble connecting.

It started when I had to restart my computer, and after I connected to the server, the system decided booted me from my nickname. After trying, unsuccessfully, to get my nickname back, I tried refreshing my browser tab to try and get back on, and It won't even let me connect to the IRC now. I all get is this:

[spoiler][22:15] qwebirc v0.90
[22:15] Copyright (C) 2008-2010 Chris Porter and the qwebirc project.
[22:15] http://www.qwebirc.org
[22:15] Licensed under the GNU General Public License, Version 2.
[22:15] == *** (qwebirc) Looking up your hostname...
[22:15] == *** (qwebirc) Couldn't look up your hostname!
[22:15] == Connected to server.
[22:15] -Arcadia.ArgentCitadel.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[22:15] == Justyn Services reserved nickname: Registered nickname.
[22:15] -Arcadia.ArgentCitadel.net- *** Could not resolve your hostname: Domain name not found; using your IP address (127.20.12.0) instead.
[22:15] == Attempting SASL authentication...
[22:15] == 485AAJX79!webchat@127.20.12.0 Justyn You are now logged in as Justyn
[22:15] == SASL authentication successful

Then followed by this after a few minutes:

[22:16] == ERROR: Closing link: (webchat@127.20.12.0) [Registration timeout]
[22:16] == Disconnected from server: Connection to IRC server lost.

Any help?[/spoiler]

Nevermind, the problem is resolved.
If I am acting as a mod, you will know it.
Justyn
Tool + YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Ansan Gotti » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:53 pm

Neat, I just found out about this. Will definitely check in from time to time at home.
Ansan Gotti
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

IRC Channel (Simple instructions)

Postby Wayne » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:15 pm

This post grew in length. To make this easier for other readers, I'm going to break this into multiple posts.
• Simple IRC instructions (how to join in with little to no effort)
• Detailed IRC instructions (how to join in with a 3rd party client, and some basic commands)
• Advanced IRC instructions (registering a permanent name, etc)

Simple IRC Instructions
Point Firefox/Explorer/Web Browser to the address: http://treeofworlds.net/irc/erfworld.html
Enter a name to use, and you can join in conversations by typing in the colored little band at the bottom of the page. It does not say "text here:" or anything like that, it's just the colored strip at the bottom of your browser window.
The TreeOfWorlds IRC server takes care of all the IRC details for you.

If you look around the page, you'll notice you have two buttons across the top; one is for server messages, and the second one is the IRC channel you just joined, "Erfworld."

Per the earlier/above post, I do not have Chatzilla installed, but when I entered: irc://irc.treeofworlds.net/ErfWorld
  • Firefox took me to mibbit.com which was more colorful than the treeofworlds site, and made it more obvious where to enter text. It was also more "busy." Either interface works for FireFox, use what makes you happy.
  • Explorer says "page cannot be displayed"
  • I do not have Chrome, Safari, Opera, or Oprah, so I can't vouch for how they work.

Easy-Peasy. Welcome to the IRC chat.
Last edited by Wayne on Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wayne
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

IRC Channel (Detailed Instructions)

Postby Wayne » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:21 pm

Detailed IRC instructions (including standalone chat programs)
I'm a noob at IRC, but here is what I learned:

IRC is something you reserve per server. For Instant Messaging, you have one yahoo IM or google IM account. There's only one (virtual) server. Yes, google/yahoo have many, many servers, but your single yahoo IM or google IM login is the same on any client and you log into a single virtual "yahoo" server. If you try logging onto Yahoo IM in more than one spot, you are kicked off the old one. Google does allow multiple logins to google IM, but that can get messy when replies go to the wrong chat client.

For IRC, your login is just like Yahoo IM. You have one account for each IRC server.

A better way to think or IRC chat is it's just like a forum--you have one login per board, but that board can have multiple forums and topics. Thus if you want to use a 3rd party client such as Pidgen, Trillian, or any others to access the Erfworld servers, you need to either setup to login anonymous, or have a registered login for that server.

Here is the TreeOfWorlds Wiki for using IRC on their server: TreeOfWorlds IRC Wiki
They have instructions there for setting up the program mIRC (mini IRC) at that link.

For setting up Pidgen and other chat programs, here's what I did:
  • Manage Account >> Add Account >> Add IRC account
  • Username: Your temporary username. ex: Joe_temporary. Note if someone else already has it or has registered it, you will logged in but your name will be changed to LostSoul(random#). You can request a fixed login (similar to a Forum login; it's a fixed name for you); see the advanced post or the T.O.W. IRC wiki.
  • Server: irc.treeofworlds.net
  • Port: 6667
  • Save and activate that account.
That gave me three open chat windows in pidgen (Arcadia.ArgentCitidel.net, TelLaread).
In any window, enter command: "/join #Erfworld" and a new window pops up with the Erfworld chat...a fourth window.

There are reasons for multiple chat windows for one IRC. I don't understand all of them, but I do know you call (/join) your individual channel (#Erfworld, etc) from one of the open windows. Thus one chat could have 10 different and unique channels open, all using your same single nickname (nick).

I'm new at all this and will update this as I learn more. I encourage others to correct my mistakes and make this better.

Some tips:
  • Commands are prefaced with forward slash by the shift key. " / " If you get it wrong, you will be teased.
  • IRC commands are not case sensitive. The Wikipedia IRC Commands page shows them all caps, but you can use lower case.
  • Command: /nick You can change your nickname with the command: "/nick NewNickname"
  • Command: /quit To exit out, you can close the window and you will die out when the server can't find you. Or you can type "/quit" and a standard message will be left. "/quit message" will quit (say you exited the room), and append your custom message, such at "thanks for the help."
Wayne
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

IRC Channel (Advanced instructions)

Postby Wayne » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:34 pm

Advanced IRC instructions (including registering your account)

As always, reviewing the TreeOfWorlds IRC Wiki is the best source of commands.

This last post is not all-inclusive as to what you can do on IRC. It is meant to be the advanced commands a light IRC user will find useful. There are entire tutorials online with greater details if you want to do more than join in the Erfworld IRC conversation.

Registering an account (i.e. reserving your name just for you)
  • Be certain your displayed name is what you want it to be
  • If not, use the "/nick <NewName>" to change it to what you want.
  • Enter "/ns register <password> <email>" to register your name. Replace <password> with your password, and, <email> with your email address. There's no email activation; your account is created and your nick reserved instantly. Your email is used for resets and other times the board needs to contact you.
Now when you log into the board with your name (or change your nickname to that reserved name), you have 60 seconds to respond with your password or have your name changed to "LostSoul0000."

To apply your password to the nickname, use the command:
/ns identify <password> ==> where <password> is your password (no brackets)

If you blow it, just use the "nick" command to change your name again, and re-enter the password. If you really blow things up, just wait 5 minutes and any name that doesn't respond to a ping, will be logged out. Reclaim your name and try again.

Chat Programs
• You can also use your new registered name and password in stand-alone chat programs (mIRC, Trillian, Pidgen, etc)
• If you're using your browser on the TreeOfWorld board, after you join in, there's a login and password box in the upper right if you want to use that rather than the text commands.

Resetting your password
(if you forget it) Password reset: /ns sendpass <name to reset>
Not automatic; goes to admins for review. Then you'll get an email with your reset password and instructions on how to change it.

I'm up and running; please let me know if this needs any tweaks, corrections, or additions.
Wayne
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby BowenTheKotoc » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:50 am

Nice tutorials Wayne. I'll just add that you can get some standard help with commands from right inside IRC without having to go to this page or the wiki/FAQ.

For channel related options (a must read if you are trying to create your own chat channel, and yes, that is possible, you can create a channel to talk about whatever you want!), type /msg chanserv help (or /cs help as a shortcut in most clients) for a list of commands and /msg chanserv help <command> (or /cs help <command>) for help about a specific command.

For nick related options (like registering your nick, changing your password, etc.), type /msg nickserv help (or /ns help) for the list of commands and /msg nickserv help <command> (or /ns help <command>) for help about a specific command.

You can also /msg people in the list of names for the room to send someone a private message not viewable by others in the room. This will work even if the person is not in the channel you are in as long as you know what nick they are using.
-------------------------------------
Bowen, Knight of the Old Code
BowenTheKotoc
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby Justyn » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:46 pm

Something is odd, whenever I try to load the site the IRC is based in via Chrome, I get a message that the domain name has expired. Is anyone else getting this problem?
If I am acting as a mod, you will know it.
Justyn

Postby Haragorn » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:25 pm

I can't connect either. However, "It seems that the domain listed above has already been renewed. The domain should be reactivated shortly. You do not need to renew it now. If you still see this message in 72 hours, please contact us." It should be back up within a few days.
Haragorn
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:12 am

Hi there.

A small and rather pointless discussion in the Reactions thread ("could Sylvia have blocked Artemis' arrows?") resulted in me getting a PM from another forumite claiming that Rob said, on IRC, that **scrubbed**

The reason that was a PM and not mentioned in the reaction thread, where the discussion was taking place, was that people seem to think there's a prohibition put on quoting things Rob or Xin say on IRC.

Huh, really? I thought the prohibition was against quoting those things "as Word of the Titans" (that is, as the be-all, end-all authoritative source), not against quoting them at all.

Please clarify. Because the second version (prohibition against all quoting) is imo silly. Not all of us are on IRC all the time, but may still appreciate a peek into what was said there, with the understanding that it's just transient scraps that mean nothing definitive for the story.

EDIT: Seriously, BLAND? You ask if there's a rule against quoting what I say in IRC and include the quote in the post? Hate to see a dumb one. :P
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby balder » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:59 pm

Yes. There is an absolute prohibition against citing what Xin or I say in IRC. Please respect it, and do not expect it to change. Thank you.
balder

Postby drachefly » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:28 pm

Ah. You may want to edit the thread-starting post to reflect that policy, to avoid confusion.
drachefly

Postby msb » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:27 am

Yeah, the wording as is definitely favors Bland's interpretation. Why else have the "as Word of God" part? Deleting that would make it clearer.

Incidentally I also agree with Bland that the never-quote-anything-ever policy is silly. If you don't want people to be aware of something you say, don't say it in an open channel. It's your forum, but good luck enforcing that.
msb

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:12 am

Rob wrote:EDIT: Seriously, BLAND? You ask if there's a rule against quoting what I say in IRC and include the quote in the post? Hate to see a dumb one. :P

Well, they say it's easier to obtain forgiveness than permission :P
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Housellama » Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:18 pm

BLANDCorporatio wrote:
Rob wrote:EDIT: Seriously, BLAND? You ask if there's a rule against quoting what I say in IRC and include the quote in the post? Hate to see a dumb one. :P

Well, they say it's easier to obtain forgiveness than permission :P

Bland, Don't be a dick.

Forgive me Rob? *ducks*
"All warfare is based on deception" - Sun Tzu, Chapter 1, Line 18, The Art of War

"The principle of strategy is to know ten thousand things by having one thing." - Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Earth, Go Rin No Sho
Housellama
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Next

Return to Everything Else Erfworld