Your favorite tabletop characters

Your campaigns, your favorite systems, and gaming news.

Your favorite tabletop characters

Postby kefkakrazy » Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:00 am

So. What Tabletop game characters have you played that were particularly strange or weird?

I have two. The first is Father Meatbiter; in a short-lived 4e game, he was one of those dragonoid races (whatever the dragony race in the base book is) reflavored into a Crocodilian for the setting, which was custom. He was a paladin, servant of the Great Blood God Komra... and had a huge evangelical bent to his mindset. We'd walk into a bar, and one of the other players tries to get me to distract some guys so he could cut their purses. Father Meatbiter walks up to the thugs and starts *preaching* at them. While fighting skeletons in the sewers, he would shout praise to the Blood God as he dispatched their twisted souls.

The weirdest bit was that Komra (and Meatbiter) weren't EVIL. Komra was associated with life as well as blood; while his followers were carnivorous and usually ate extremely rare or raw meat, they didn't sacrifice sentient beings, and weren't too bad about protecting folks. Had a lot of fun.

The second is the Taffy Puller. In a HERO game (HERO is my favorite system, bar none) I was asked to join, I sat down for a while. They said they needed a tank, someone able to take damage well. I sat down and thought about it. I wanted a goofy Silver Age-style hero, because I'd been playing Freedom Force. So I created THE TAFFY PULLER! Warren Sweet, well-known candy-maker, was one day accidentally pulled into a taffy-stretching machine.... but due to a mysterious energy force, the machine imbued him with TAFFY POWERS! He can launch globs of ultrasticky goo, his body is ultraflexible and stretchy, and he can leap about (by coiling into a spring), swing (on long Spiderman-style taffy lines), and attack with his signature Candy Rocker (an immense fist formed from rock candy). It's a hell of a lot of fun to play; the guy is goofy and busts out candy-related puns whenever he can.
kefkakrazy

Re: Your favorite tabletop characters

Postby teresap989 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:21 pm

They said they needed a tank, someone able to take damage well. I sat down and thought about it. I wanted a goofy Silver Age-style hero, because I'd been playing Freedom Force.

Postby FredLemerory » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:33 pm

I had a necromancer in palladium rifts, ended up being labeled evil and crazy not because he was to start with, but because I had a bad habit of miming killing people while I was sitting at the table, including players who were not at the table or even in the house that night. GM decided I was doing that in game, which then prompted the party to think my guy was crazy, trying to kill people who weren't there. It was also decided for him that he had the hots for an ancient elf that he mistakenly thinks is a zombie. He also animated all the corpses in a grave yard to destroy the town he was in because someone asked him to pay for a soda, and likes to use zombies nailed to things as post it notes. Ah, good times. I expect a party of good adventurers to turn up and end him any day now.
http://www.dartmud.com/ Best text based mud Ive played since the last best text based mud.
FredLemerory

Postby Foolamancer » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:34 pm

I have three.

Maestro of the Black Dagger II, a multiclass halfling rogue/sorceror from Dungeons & Dragons v3.5. A cunning little bugger with a taste for treasure. Maestro was never the most powerful character stats-wise, but for some reason he was the character that always ended up bailing the rest of the party out of trouble.
I ran him in several campaigns. Not once did he die. Came close several times, but always survived in the end, and often was the reason that the party was able to beat the Big Bad. He wasn't powerful, but he was resourceful. Then our GM decided to run an epic-level game with no limitations on power. You could do anything for character creation. We ended up with a party consisting of a paragon illithid, a cyborg minotaur, a cleric whose level was so high that he was practically a demigod, a dire werebear fighter with a Constitution of 60... and Maestro. He was the only character in the party without a stat over 25.
And, of course, he was the only one who went through the entire campaign without dying.
Eventually, the Big Bad got wind of Maestro's exploits and designed a dungeon specifically to kill him. Our GM dubbed it the "Meat Grinder". Essentially, it was a three-mile-long corridor with every space being another epic-level trap. Oh, and the corridor was flooding with lava from one end. And the door on the other end was closing slowly.

Maestro made it out. The rest died.

Another is Brother Aloysius Regier, from a HackMaster campaign that I played in a while back. A Lawful Neutral cleric of a god devoted entirely to Law, his character concept was that he flipped the usual alignment axis. He ignored good and evil in favor of law and chaos. This caused quite a bit of party conflict, seeing as the rest of the group consisted of two thieves, a barbarian priest of a blood god, and only a single other lawful character.
Despite the fact that there was quite a bit of party conflict involved, everyone playing was a sufficiently skilled roleplayer to keep it realistic without disrupting the flow of the campaign. In my opinion, the best part of the campaign was when the barbarian priest burned down a temple to a local god (which rightfully belonged to a man living in the nearby village) as a sacrifice to his god, and Aloysius confronted him with a threat to throw him in jail. That was a great session.

And the final character is Jeremy Salter, a.k.a. "Daytripper". He was a time-manipulating superhero from a one-shot session that a friend of mine ran. He could only move back and forth on his personal timeline, and not exactly at will, but the power was entertaining and powerful without being broken, and the character ended up having a lot of attitude. I liked him.
"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Foolamancer

Postby M0ru » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:55 pm

The two more strange ones I strongly remember were Abge, a traveling, storytelling shapeshifter in an mystical, tribal-African setting and the other Hauptsturmführer Bodo von Sauerbach in a Cthulhu one-shot set in the mid 1930s Germany. As I'm more a of a open-minded nature it was quite shocking how, playing the latter character, certain (otherwise moralistically despicable) things suddenly started to "make sense" (as long as one accepted the basic lies/brainwashing underlying that system without questioning)
M0ru

Return to General Gaming