Music to listen to while playing strategy games

I love it loud.

Music to listen to while playing strategy games

Postby privatepepper » Sun May 10, 2009 4:05 am

I personally listen to:
-The Killers when I'm playing campaigns where I control 1-4 units
-Children of Bodom when I'm playing the side that is NOT the bad guys but that has spiders, goblins, undead, and dragons
-Coldplay when I'm playing Age of Empires, Empire Earth, and other realtime, ethically neutral games

Any thoughts?
There's not much to be said. Follow me, and I will teach you the paths of love, of hate, of fire, of death, of life, of ice. Follow me, and I will lead you through years of victory and ruin.
privatepepper

Re: Music to listen to while playing strategy games

Postby Pentegarn » Mon May 11, 2009 5:53 pm

While it doesn't happen often, I tend to listen to Iron Maiden during any strategy gaming where I am listening to music.
Was the dopest post I ever wrote... in '94
Pentegarn
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby Alcazabedabra » Tue May 12, 2009 7:12 pm

Hehehe...

While playing Starcraft, I sometimes listen to Franz Ferdinand, Cake, Modest Mouse, Weezer or a combination thereof. Thrown in a little Jet, White Stripes and Raconteurs and you've got my FPS gaming mix. Call of Duty, etc.

Total Annihilation's in-game music is too damn good, so I don't mess with that.

But then there's Duke Nukem. Gotta have some Led Zep and Hendrix in there if I'm playin' the Duke. Or Doom, for that matter. Anyone here still play classic Doom?

Aaaaand then there's my space games. With the exception of Starcraft, if I'm playing space games I generally listen to classical guitar stuff. Like Mason Williams. EVE Online sounds great to Classical Gas... unless I'm PvP'ing. Then it's more like my FPS mix.

Gotta have hard rock if I'm doing any kind of art or 3D modeling, too. For some reason, Ween sounds great when you're doing art.
Alcazabedabra

Postby zeekgenateer » Wed May 13, 2009 5:35 pm

If you're looking for something... well interesting look up Ed Alleneye-Johnson. He's a really great electric violinist who does some really cool stuff. Enjoy!
zeekgenateer

Postby azraelck » Sun May 24, 2009 1:47 am

Classic Doom/Doom 2 is one of the only FPS games I play. The other being Call of Duty: United Offensive.

I usually only listen to music when playing games like Sonic Adventure, Mega Man, or the like. Then, I'm listening to rock. I had to get out the Hendrix cannon to beat Sonic Adventure for the first time. In FPS games I tend to need to listen to the in-game sounds too much, and for strategy games I have no music so I can tinker without distractions.
azraelck

Postby Wiseguy » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:29 pm

Alcazabedabra wrote:Total Annihilation's in-game music is too damn good, so I don't mess with that.

That is the truth... I have in fact gone so far that I've ripped the music and used it when playing other games... I wonder where I placed it though.
Wiseguy

Postby Keymort » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:58 am

Heh... I listen to jazz and mozart when I play all games. ;) For ironies sake of course. And because it's good.
Keymort

Postby Ferrous » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:11 pm

Keymort wrote:Heh... I listen to jazz and mozart when I play all games. ;) For ironies sake of course. And because it's good.

You're my hero. I like to listen to Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D minor, the third movement of Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata, Vivaldi's "Winter", Arabian Waltz (see, Yo Yo Ma), the Pirates of the Carribean soundtrack (2 and 3, not so much 1), Riverdance and Rusted Root.
"Those who live in fear deserve what they get." -Ivan Moldavi
Marooner | Banjoist | Mapamancer
Ferrous

Postby Whet Lunkhoff » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:02 pm

Classical and jazz is good, blues (of the right kind) can also be an asset.

What I need though is a soundscape of electronica many hours long, something like the result of chaining Massive Attack to a studio for a week and making them create a very long album at gunpoint.
I'm a turn-based lover, not a fighter.
Whet Lunkhoff

Postby DevilDan » Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:43 pm

Whet Lunkhoff wrote:Classical and jazz is good, blues (of the right kind) can also be an asset.

What I need though is a soundscape of electronica many hours long, something like the result of chaining Massive Attack to a studio for a week and making them create a very long album at gunpoint.

You may wish to look up Miles Davis's Pangaea.
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Postby Whet Lunkhoff » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:56 pm

I shall investigate it at once!
I'm a turn-based lover, not a fighter.
Whet Lunkhoff

Postby Ferrous » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:30 am

Most gamers I've met like to listen to heavy metal or hard rock types of music. Erfworlders? We listen to the Blues, baby!
"Those who live in fear deserve what they get." -Ivan Moldavi
Marooner | Banjoist | Mapamancer
Ferrous

Postby Lightbender » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:29 pm

Nightwish
Lightbender

Postby Tharivole » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:27 pm

I tend to listen to classical music (I reccomend Johann Pachelbel's Canon in D Major) or hard rock/heavy metal (Ozzy Osbourne, Apocalyptica, AC/DC, Def Leppard, Aerosmith, etc.). For some reason, I tend to think better when these kinds of songs are playing. Every once and a while, I take a break from these by listening to techno. But the only thing better than these for doing your best in any kind of game... is epic theme songs!!! :D (particularly the Raiders of the Lost Arc theme song)
Lvl 14 Master Class Croakamancer.
Visit http://improbableisland.com/home.php?r=andolius because it's a fun game.
Tharivole

Return to Music