Book 2 – Text Updates 030

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Text Updates 030

Postby robak » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:08 am

splintermute wrote:It's only "breaking the world" if 5 or 6 of them can combine into a giant mecha-battle-golem with laser vision. Especially if giant mecha-battle-golems can combine into something even bigger.

robak

Postby Hiai » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:43 pm

Oberon wrote:... and the majority of fandom who support the Kingworld spell (The costuming and names led up to this, it was so natural!) wouldn't even blink.

/sigh. Was this really you just trying to claim that "not having a huge problem w/ Kingworld"= "you can do anything you want and we won't notice as long as the art as pretty"?? Or perhaps you are saying such people will automatically retcon anything they see? Not clear on anything but the quite obvious generalized denigration of anyone who has disagreed with you on one plot point and their mental acuity.

So many things wrong with that snide little aside, starting with: the fact that I don't think Kingworld represents a huge plot hole, as you seem to think it does, is not exactly what most people would call "supporting" a concept or turn of plot. But kudos on perpetuating the "us vs them" attitude into yet another thread that has nothing whatever to do with it.

robak wrote:Image

My three year old nephew who is huge fan of trains is now crying hysterically in terror, somewhere. Thanks alot. :P

(But still, there's something gloriously twisted about that being offered as the "something bigger" choice. lol)
Hiai

Postby Kender Wizard » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:28 pm

Heh. If Ace ever works for GK, he gets to work for Parson. When he finds out the sort of stuff that Parson would encourage (NAY! ORDER!) him to make, the resulting man-squee will break windows :lol:
Kender Wizard

Postby ftl » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:52 pm

Hmm. I like the idea of that man-squee.

You know, on second thought, I think I'd like a lot the idea of Wanda somehow croaking and GK somehow getting Ace instead. Parson would love it and so would we. Unfortunately, Ace would hate working for Stanley, and I don't see how Ace could be persuaded to work for GK without croaking/decryption. And I just don't see how to plausibly make a story that'll have Wanda out of the picture or defected and Ace alive and working for GK. Too convoluted.

Ah well, I'm sure Rob will have something shiny planned for Ace that we'll love :)
ftl
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby gameboy1234 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:13 pm

ftl wrote:You know, on second thought, I think I'd like a lot the idea of Wanda somehow croaking and GK somehow getting Ace instead.

Wanda definitely won't croak, imo, but I'd bet that GK gets at least one fully-functional caster from Jetstone. Ace would be cool.

In fact, I'll make a little prediction. A major part of Parson's plan is: do whatever (drop dwagons, men, goblins, then decrypt them), but then croak and decrypt the Doublemancer. Think about it: double up the dwagons. There's a plan for success, right there, if you ask me. Ace may end up being the test case to see if they can decrypt a caster (probably just because he's handy, rushes out, and croaks first).

GK may loose any caster they gain this turn, but it'll be enough to turn the tide for the battle.
"Do it?" Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome?

I did it thirty-five minutes ago.

gameboy1234
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby splintermute » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:15 pm

I think an awesome twist, after all the extensive build up, would be for Rob to eventually reveal that decrypted casters can't cast.
splintermute

Postby gameboy1234 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:42 pm

Or reveal that they decrypt with zero juice initially, or something that limits their abilities. Still, I won't be surprised if it happens and casters are immediately at full potential after being decrypted. The pliers are supposed to be a supremely powerful artifact directly from the Titans themselves after all.
"Do it?" Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome?

I did it thirty-five minutes ago.

gameboy1234
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby build6 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:32 am

Chit Rule Railroad wrote:Now if he were incapacitated or disarmed and someone loyal to him picked up the Arkenhammer and attuned to it, and then he was healed... that might change his attitude very quickly. In fact, I bet he would want to appoint that person heir so that he himself would feel more free to risk his life in battle.

... I can't picture Stanley being like this. That he, himself, is "special" is one of the elements about him - I don't think of him as a self-sacrificial proponent of the Titanic mandate. If it suddenly appeared that someone else ought to be wielding the Arkenhammer I'm certain he'd rationalise it away real quick and refuse to do it.

gameboy1234 wrote:Ace may end up being the test case to see if they can decrypt a caster (probably just because he's handy, rushes out, and croaks first).

Agreed that if any caster's going to buy it, it's gonna be Ace - it's a full foreshadowing, this text update :-)

but if it's demonstrated that a caster can be decrypted with full powers intact and the usual loyalty to the arkenpliers... the entire Magic Kingdom will turn against GK.
build6

Postby zilfallon » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:11 am

well, i believe casters can cast after decryption, because of Archons. Uncroaked Archons >> no specials Decrypted Archons >> Full power.

OH AND...

You know, on second thought, I think I'd like a lot the idea of Wanda somehow croaking and GK somehow getting Ace instead.

you are so mean ftl! How would you even think about killing Wanda! She is awesome! She is super-cute in the last panel she was shown!! Nope, i will protect her and her cuteness with my life! "/rage"
rkyeun wrote:Roses are red.
Violets are blue.

zilfallon

Postby I<3ChocolateMilk » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:52 am

zilfallon wrote:well, i believe casters can cast after decryption, because of Archons. Uncroaked Archons >> no specials Decrypted Archons >> Full power.

OH AND...

You know, on second thought, I think I'd like a lot the idea of Wanda somehow croaking and GK somehow getting Ace instead.

you are so mean ftl! How would you even think about killing Wanda! She is awesome! She is super-cute in the last panel she was shown!! Nope, i will protect her and her cuteness with my life! "/rage"

I suspect you may feel differently once subjected to the needle-nosed plier treatment. Or not, as the case may be. :D
I<3ChocolateMilk

Postby Chit Rule Railroad » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:56 pm

build6 wrote:
Chit Rule Railroad wrote:Now if he were incapacitated or disarmed and someone loyal to him picked up the Arkenhammer and attuned to it, and then he was healed... that might change his attitude very quickly. In fact, I bet he would want to appoint that person heir so that he himself would feel more free to risk his life in battle.

... I can't picture Stanley being like this. That he, himself, is "special" is one of the elements about him - I don't think of him as a self-sacrificial proponent of the Titanic mandate. If it suddenly appeared that someone else ought to be wielding the Arkenhammer I'm certain he'd rationalise it away real quick and refuse to do it.

Oh, I didn't mean to imply that Stanley wouldn't immediately take the Hammer back. I meant that if the Hammer singled out someone as a suitable Heir, Stanley would acknowledge that officially - and then delegate day-to-day running of GK and go rock out with the Hammer. He would be risking the Hammer falling into enemy hands, but I'm sure he would consider it fitting for his Heir to win the Hammer back in a battle for vengeance rather than having it handed to him or her.
Chit Rule Railroad
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Sieggy » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:20 pm

I suspect you may feel differently once subjected to the needle-nosed plier treatment. Or not, as the case may be. :D

Hey! That's how I take care of nose hairs . . .
The Truth Will Set You Free. But First It Will Piss You Off.
Sieggy

Postby DevilDan » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:21 pm

Sieggy wrote:

It should then be a cinch to sell people on a full arkentool treatment... :P
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Postby Nihila » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:42 pm

DevilDan wrote:
Sieggy wrote:

It should then be a cinch to sell people on a full arkentool treatment... :P
Are we using the 'Hammer for... er... "Reverse Phrenology?"
Spoiler: show
Applying bumps to peoples' heads to change their personality.
"The Infantrymen of Erfworld have nothing to lose but their chains. They have Erfworld to win. Infantry of all sides: Unite!"--Kawl Mawx, Master-class Moneymancer
Nihila

Postby Sieggy » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:51 pm

Hey . . . I just realized (it's been niggling in my subconscious) how much Ace resembles Chip Hazard from 'Small Soldiers', which might explain his focus on 'accessories' and his gear . . .
The Truth Will Set You Free. But First It Will Piss You Off.
Sieggy

Postby Raza » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:04 pm

Raza wrote: I can really envision him pacing around with exaggerated movements like a digitally animated action figure.

Sieggy wrote:Hey . . . I just realized (it's been niggling in my subconscious) how much Ace resembles Chip Hazard from 'Small Soldiers', which might explain his focus on 'accessories' and his gear . . .

That's the one! That's exactly what I was thinking of.

Chip Hazard is clearly one of Hardware's references/models. Good call.
Raza

Postby Chit Rule Railroad » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:19 am

I think Ace's face looks more like Shepherd from A.P.E.X. (1994): http://www.badmovies.org/movies/apex/apex8.jpg.

He's not an action figure, but when I saw that movie, I was struck by how much he looked like one.
Chit Rule Railroad

Postby Oberon » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:42 pm

Hiai wrote:
Oberon wrote:... and the majority of fandom who support the Kingworld spell (The costuming and names led up to this, it was so natural!) wouldn't even blink.

/sigh. Was this really you just trying to claim that "not having a huge problem w/ Kingworld"= "you can do anything you want and we won't notice as long as the art as pretty"?? Or perhaps you are saying such people will automatically retcon anything they see?
Please refrain from characterizing my words as anything other than what they precisely state. Setting up your straw men doesn't lend you any validity.
gameboy1234 wrote:Or reveal that they decrypt with zero juice initially, or something that limits their abilities. Still, I won't be surprised if it happens and casters are immediately at full potential after being decrypted.
We've seen that injured units become instantly uninjured upon decryption. Thus, if decrypted casters are still casters, it is only natural to assume that they will have full juice upon repopping.
How using capslock wins arguments:
Zeroberon wrote:So we know with 100% certainty that THIS IS HOW TRI-LINKS WORK, PERIOD END OF STORY.
Oberon

Postby Chameon » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:58 pm

Y'know, for some reason, and please nobody yell at me for saying this, I can see Wanda sneak-decrypting a fellow caster, and then later on them needing to repop the caster at full juice.....

Parson gives the order: "Wanda, croak that caster, then decrypt him."

Wanda's Response: "Err....about that...."
Chameon

Postby MarbitChow » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:04 am

Oberon wrote:
Hiai wrote:
Oberon wrote:He can be shown to tunnel up under Wanda's forces and get gunned down by Ace Hardware's new anti-caster arrow, and the majority of fandom who support the Kingworld spell (The costuming and names led up to this, it was so natural!) wouldn't even blink.

/sigh. Was this really you just trying to claim that "not having a huge problem w/ Kingworld"= "you can do anything you want and we won't notice as long as the art as pretty"?? Or perhaps you are saying such people will automatically retcon anything they see?
Please refrain from characterizing my words as anything other than what they precisely state. Setting up your straw men doesn't lend you any validity.
Well, seeing as how I'm one who has argued in favor of the positives of Kingworld, I'll confess that I see a conflict in your characterization of that fandom, at least from my point of view.

The costuming and names clearly led up to KingWorld. I wouldn't characterize it as a 'natural' result, as much as I would call it 'appropriately foreshadowed in retrospect'.
All *mancer linked results are by definition unnatural. They all do things that are not supposed to be done. They all 'break the rules', each in a different way.
The fact that Sizemore hasn't been shown anywhere near the main battle, the fact that casters are already inherently fragile, and the fact that the death would be senseless (unless additional context is provided for his death) means that I, for one, would have a HUGE problem with Ace blasting Sizemore.

I would characterize KingWorld as 'an unnatural and game-breaking action in a story that already has demonstrated unnatural and game-breaking actions, which was elegantly foreshadowed from an oblique pop-culture reference angle and provides for a dramatic turn of events which allows the protagonist to progress in the story'. I would not characterize Sizemore getting gunned down at this stage to be remotely equivalent, since there has been no indication that he is even involved, and Ace has only been introduced for one updated (unlike Vanna, who was established well before in the summer updates).

Having said all this, and acknowledging that you do not see the KingWorld event in the same light as I do, I confess that I do read a considerable amount of condescension in your post. I also acknowledge that internet posts are not an ideal medium for conveying nuance, and so, like I suspect Hiai was trying to imply, I'd like you to clarify the intent of your words.
Equilateratoria is now underway. New players are welcome to join at any time! (Rules)
MarbitChow

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions