Civilization V is coming this year!

Your campaigns, your favorite systems, and gaming news.

Civilization V is coming this year!

Postby Lord Kasavin » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:21 pm

If you haven't played any of the Civilization games, you really have no business reading Erfworld (I kid, I kid, kind off...). Civilization IV was pretty much the gold standard of the Turn Based strategy genre on the PC. And now a sequel is scheduled for this fall. Points open for discussion...

Hex based instead of squares.

Apparently, units no longer stack.

Some units can have longer range and attack hexes not immediate to themselves.

Number of units (or certain types of units) are now limited by number of resources.

Religion is cut.

Links:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/civil ... for-autumn

http://www.civilization5.com/
"Act, and God will Act." - Joan of Arc

"Those who plot the destruction of others often perish in the attempt." - Thomas Moore
Lord Kasavin

Re: Civilization V is coming this year!

Postby Sinrus » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:47 pm

Okay, I feel stupid for asking this, but... I've never played the Civilization games. Are they downloadable, or CD based?
Sinrus

Postby Lord Kasavin » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:28 pm

Sinrus wrote:Okay, I feel stupid for asking this, but... I've never played the Civilization games. Are they downloadable, or CD based?

CD "based," but they are available for download from Steam and Direct2Drive. At least 3 and 4, anyways. 1 and 2 are so old at this point they probably aren't worth going back to unless you are a real aficionado. 3 is considered the low point in the series, though, so I'd skip straight to 4. Its probably a good idea to pick up the "Beyond the Sword" Expansion for 4 as well. Beyond making a great game better, it also lets you play the game in of itself "Fall from Heaven II" mod. The "Warlord" expansion is forgettable.

I can't recommend Civ. 4 enough for strategy gamers. It's like recommending Luke to a Christian.

"Those who plot the destruction of others often perish in the attempt." - Thomas Moore
Lord Kasavin

Postby turbler » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:36 pm

so they give it Hexes, then kill stacks, c'mon... stop taunting us by making one thing in each game Erf-like -_-" Perhaps the Modabillity thing can fix this? either way, Civ is a great series for sure :D
-cough- Warlord? Might I inquire as to what is in this expansion/mod/whatever? (I know it probably isn't Erf-canon, but I still wanna know what it is
turbler

Postby Crovius » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:38 pm

What are your feelings on teh Bxbox 360 game Civilization Revolution? I found it simple and yet still enjoyable. My personal favorite side was the huns, because being abel to turn every barbarian village you take into a city was so much cheaper adn faster than making settlers, who I only used to create cities when I found a sweet resource spot.
Crovius

Postby Lord Kasavin » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:15 am

turbler wrote:so they give it Hexes, then kill stacks, c'mon... stop taunting us by making one thing in each game Erf-like -_-" Perhaps the Modabillity thing can fix this? either way, Civ is a great series for sure :D
-cough- Warlord? Might I inquire as to what is in this expansion/mod/whatever? (I know it probably isn't Erf-canon, but I still wanna know what it is

Supposedly, Civ V will have extensive moddability. I think they also might have claimed that stacking is still in... not sure about that. Need to double check news sources when I have time. That being said, I found the aforementioned Fall from Heaven mod to have a slight Erfworld vibe. "Warlords," was a collection of scenarios based on history's great generals. The also added a unit type called Great General, which could be attached permanently to a city to improve quality or production rate of militay units. Or, it could be used on a stack of units to permanently boost them. I always did the former. That being said, Great Generals are found in Beyond the Sword, once again making it the best possible expansion pack to get.

As for Civilization Revolutions... never played it. The fact I don't own a modern console made it an easy desicion for me, but also Civ. IV really touched upon perfection.

Lord Kasavin

Postby Best » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:41 am

After having seen how different combat will be in this game I have no doubt I'll spend as much or more time playing this as I did Civ 4. I'm hoping the game will be heavily moddable- probably a moot point since the last game was.

Lord Kasavin wrote:As for Civilization Revolutions... never played it. The fact I don't own a modern console made it an easy desicion for me, but also Civ. IV really touched upon perfection.

Civilization Revolution wasn't all that interesting. I played through one full game and didn't much enjoy it. I kept getting Advance Wars vibes while playing it too, especially during the combat sequences.
Best

Postby MolotovH » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:16 am

1 and 2 are so old at this point they probably aren't worth going back to unless you are a real aficionado.

I registered specifically to tell you that, thanks to the Fantastic Worlds expansion, I still play Civilization II to this day. How can you not love a game in which almost everything is customizable by anyone who can use Notepad and MSPaint?

I bought and installed Civ3 and quit playing halfway through the first game... That game was abysmal. Almost no customization at all, and the gameplay was a wretched guessing game. If I don't have any saltpeter mines in my territory, I need to know that BEFORE I spend 30-odd turns researching Gunpowder, only to find out that I can't build any Musketeers because the only saltpeter source on the continent is next to an allied civilization's capital city...

What was I saying?

Oh, yeah. Love Civ2. Love it to pieces.
MolotovH

Postby Rowen » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:47 am

I remember I started off playing Civ I which came with a copy of Worms that I bought I hated it so much the first time I played that I swore I'd never give it another try. Boy did I go back on that such a good game considering how basic it was, I ended up skipping Civ II and going straight on to Civ III, which I thought was ok. Civ IV was a big improvement but it still has some major issues and it seemed a bit weak on diplomacy.

But I think that the real reason I cooled on the Civilasation series between I and III was because my heart was stolen by Alpha Centauri.
"Nobody turns down a jetpack and lives."
by emo samurai » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:42 pm
Rowen
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby Lord Kasavin » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:51 am

Game is now out!

Tried the demo, struck me as a greatly simplified version of Civilization, and the lack of complexity does not do the game any favors. Of course, maybe I am missing something having only played the demo, but there you have it.

Lord Kasavin

Postby Siralus » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:30 am

That demo had a real revolutions vibe to it. Very cartoony - and... I'm not sure, the game doesn't seem to flow as smoothly as IV. Unfortunately, the demo doesn't actually let me judge the game. Making the demo, horrible. Because that's what demos are for.
Siralus

Return to General Gaming