Advice if you would.

Mind if we put this first?

Advice if you would.

Postby Marek » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:09 am

A friend and I are looking into creating our own Web-comic, we're working at a slow but steady pace to develop and prepare and ultimatly create, but we are still very new to this type of endeavor. Any advice?
Marek

Re: Advice if you would.

Postby moose o death » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:25 am

story or skit
drama
comedy
horror
thriller
romantic

past present future or dynamic

you don't need to answer here but don't spread yourself thin either. if you aiming at horror then drop romance drama and comedy from the outset. likewise for the others. a good joke every once in a while lightens mood, but your comic might be once weekly, so lightening the mood is just killing it.

don't blow your good stuff on the first comic. if your new at anything and are asking for advice already then the ideas your building now...especially if you think these are the big guns your designing, should be worked on later. do something else first that you'll happily see fail or succeed. good or bad results are valuable because you will learn from them.

don't assume that some basic skills in lirtaracy and drawing will make for a good webcomic. study everything. even if you don't like it, read it anyway. learn from the mistakes of others and build on the success of others.

i'm sure i could think of other stuff, but you probably didn't like some of what i've said so far either.

all my advice is from practical experience learning the necesary skills to get into world design for video games, i have been learning since 2005 and i still have a long way to go yet. i realise the job market for such a position is very tight as world design is by far the easiest of the 3d arts. so i'm currently forced to create my own games. hopefully one day i'll be able to earn one of those hard to get positions.
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
moose o death

Postby Marek » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:53 am

No no, its actually very helpful, I'm taking every piece of advice I can find. The more the merrier, thank you very much sir, your advice is very much welcome.
Marek

Postby the_tick_rules » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:10 pm

I usually enjoy lots of refrences to gamer related stuff. Which is why I enjoy erf and order of the stick.
I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.
the_tick_rules

Postby AllPurposeNerd » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:25 pm

Finish as many comics in advance as you can be bothered to do so you can just release them at regular intervals.
Takeoff every Sig. You know what you do.
AllPurposeNerd

Return to Internet and Webcomics