District 9

Passive screen-based entertainment.

District 9

Postby moose o death » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:37 am

figured i'd put this one up, i'm not a big movie or tv follower. my idea of good tv is documentary stuff, mythbusters, time team, anything with richard attenboroughs voice....anything to fuel my thirst for all encompassing knowledge. i stumbled on ads for district 9 on various gaming sites, saw it on the opening weekend and was blown away.

unfortunately it's the kind of movie that you can't talk alot about without giving away the story ...which really makes it hard to recommend the movie to people as you have no leverage to do so with. so if you haven't already go see this movie. sci fi, if you like the half life 2 universe you'll like this movie. (not that the stories are similar, just trust me on this)

the camara work is about the only real criticism anyone has honestly levelled at the film. told in a closest camera convenient style. if the doco cameraman is filming not only does it move like him, the cameraman occasionally talks. but if that kind of thing doesn't bother you, you will most likely love this film
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
moose o death

Re: District 9

Postby DevilDan » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:56 am

I'm afraid to watch it; it seems as if it'll be too predictably moralistic, too "obvious" about its message, to hamhanded or heavyhanded.
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Postby moose o death » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:30 am

the trailers show stuff that happens in the first ten minutes. the movie is honestly much larger than those trailers let on. if anything humanity on the whole come off as the bad guys. this is why so many reviews and people like myself tell you to go see the movie, it's hard to tell you anymore than that.

i'll take it as far as the trailers do. aliens have arrived on earth, they didn't attack us or offer peace, basically their ship has broken and cannot leave. we have made them a home away from home, but like the jerks we are have alienated them, and condemned them to living in slums. where they are subject to rascism and exploitation.

the main character is a beaurocrat, and he's about as personable as your local politician, he's always right, it's always his idea, and everything is by the book unless it suits him to do it otherwise.

something happens to him while he's forcing aliens to sign an eviction order, and it changes everything for him. to say more would spoil the story and it really is a story you have to have unfold before you. the character developement alone is excellent. it's the kind of movie that you believe is real when you walk out the cinema. the racism angle is not pushed hard. it's treated with subtlety. the aliens are so real you wonder if they were costumed humans or cgi.

and the weapons.. why this race hasn't just liquified us for being jerkwads is baffling. i can only assume they just can't use the weapons either.
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
moose o death

Postby DevilDan » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:23 pm

moose o death wrote:the trailers show stuff that happens in the first ten minutes. the movie is honestly much larger than those trailers let on. if anything humanity on the whole come off as the bad guys. this is why so many reviews and people like myself tell you to go see the movie, it's hard to tell you anymore than that.

i'll take it as far as the trailers do. aliens have arrived on earth, they didn't attack us or offer peace, basically their ship has broken and cannot leave. we have made them a home away from home, but like the jerks we are have alienated them, and condemned them to living in slums. where they are subject to rascism and exploitation.

That's precisely what I feared. The whole ghetto thing and all its concomitant trappings are obvious from the trailers and adverts. I'd probably find that Alien Nation was subtler and had smarter lessons.

Thanks for sharing your opinion, though. I guess if someone suggests it I'll actually go see it. It is visually intriguing.
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Postby Whet Lunkhoff » Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:24 pm

The camerawork is inconsistent. It shifts from docu style, to using faux-CCTV footage, to using standard camera techniques.

Otherwise, an excellent film. The South African accent is superb for swearing in.
I'm a turn-based lover, not a fighter.
Whet Lunkhoff

Postby mhangman » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:20 am

It was awesome. I loved the story many ppl didnt understand it one good reason for to love^^
If Avatar wont relased this year this movie could be number 1 of 2009(for me). Im a Star Trek fan but still love District -9 more than it. We cant see good Sci-Fic movies like this. We didnt know the Actors so its good to zoom the scenario. Effects was good. I think there will be more battle at Disctrict-10 movie.
mhangman

Postby asivula » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:49 pm

The Difference between this movie and Alien Nation is the Difference between The US and South Africa in terms of race relations
asivula

Postby Sintar07 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:09 am

I watched this movie, and I'm of the opinion that every stupid, loudmouthed, racebaiter should go watch this movie too, and see what real racism looks like. The horrible mistreatment of the aliens, as portrayed in District 9, is a longshot from anything "racist" that happens here in America.
Beware the Borg Tribbles!!
Sintar07

Postby DevilDan » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:38 pm

I wonder how either Patrick Stewart or the character Picard would feel about their picture next to that statement.
DevilDan

Postby Sintar07 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:07 am

DevilDan wrote:I wonder how either Patrick Stewart or the character Picard would feel about their picture next to that statement.

Well, this Picard is post season three, so he might agree with me. Mr. Stewart would probably disagree (most actors/actresses would, Hollywood being the super-liberal place that it is)
In any case, I don't see that liking a character means I have to agree with them on everything. I mean, lot's of people like Darth Vader, but do you see them running around chopping people's limbs off?
Beware the Borg Tribbles!!
Sintar07

Return to Movies and Television