Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 077

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 077

Postby MadZuri » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:38 pm

ftl wrote:
MadZuri wrote:AFAIK nobody mentioned that possibility. You were the first to post about it, and it certainly seems likely. To me, it seems most likely.

Why do you think it seems likely?

The effects of the buds seemed like drug-induced hallucinations, not portals to something actually real. Jillian is obviously unsure, since she's the addicted one.

She seems to have had a Moment of Lucidity. Those happen. She may have glimpsed at the true nature of things, just briefly, before she had a chance to mess it up by trying to go through the shadows instead of looking through them. Cue Charlie. He has had hundreds of turns, possibly, of looking through those shadows. He is also aided by his own magic discipline and the most powerful thinkamancy tool in existence. This is why I think it is likely.
MadZuri

Postby bldysabba » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:44 pm

ftl wrote:
MadZuri wrote:AFAIK nobody mentioned that possibility. You were the first to post about it, and it certainly seems likely. To me, it seems most likely.

Why do you think it seems likely?

I think it's likely because of Chekov's gun and Occam's razor. It's possible Rob is throwing in the facts that Charlie maintains a supply of drug buds and then the possibility that drug buds offer insights to another real world just for shits and giggles, but it's not a very satisfactory explanation.
To respond to your earlier comment, I think it's our world(or stupid world, which I thought is what people here call it) because two worlds play a major part in this story, and one character(Charlie) who from all provided information is a part of Erfworld, but has access to buds, also has access to lots of references from our world. There may be more to this. Being a Carnymancer or possessing the Arkendish may allow Charlie more sanity in the bud dreams, but it does seem likely that the buds are a big part of how Charlie knows so much about the 'real' world. I'd be willing to place a bet on this, although I don't know much about how the betting system works here or if I'm even eligible.
bldysabba

Postby themysticalone » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:16 pm

Tonot wrote:You are to consider how very many schisms and branches of , to pick one only, Christianity have existed. A mere hundred years after the Carpenter died, the church big-wigs got together and had a furious debate which ended in three whole cities being destroyed and their people killed or enslaved, because they were "heretics". And yet if you had asked either branch, their version of the book was "written by god". And they would have believed that just as firmly as the people in Erfworld believe their books "Pop straight from the Book-Press of the Titans".

This sounds like something that could really use a citation.
Read Fodi at baldninja.com
themysticalone

Postby Lilwik » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:46 pm

CDS wrote:I think it also tells us that King Banhammer might be the oldest character we have yet to come across (if we don't include Charlie/The Wizard) if we equate a turn = 1 day in terms of measurement that makes him at least 35.6 years old. Have I missed/forgotten any updates where it indicates any of the current roster are older than this?
I don't think it's been mentioned in any of the updates, but it's published canon in one of the paper books that Roger Victor Clarence is almost 80 years old, and Isaac Cipher is almost 60 years old. Compared to them 13,000 turns isn't such a long time, or perhaps I should say that compared to the rest of the world the Magic Kingdom has a very long memory.
Lilwik

Postby 0beron » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:51 pm

Lilwik wrote:Roger Victor Clarence is almost 80 years old, and Isaac Cipher is almost 60 years old.
This is true, but we still don't have any marker to tell us how long elapses between some major events. We don't know how long Wanda served Haffaton for, we don't know how long FAQ survives after this Deal, and we don't know how long after Stanley conquers FAQ that Book 1 starts. So it could well be that by this point, Jack and Marie are older than Issac and Roger (with Wanda and Jillian close behind).
This issue of the MK's memory though is an interesting one. Because though they debate and discuss a great deal, much like the rest of Erfworld they don't seem particularly interested in preserving this information, much less sharing/selling it to active Capital Sides.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Arky » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:52 pm

I know Jack's thing for Jillian isn't a new revelation, but it does remind me again how annoying it was (especially in Chapters 1 and 2, where Jillian was far more annoying than she is in Inner Peace) to see characters lining up to have crushes on Jillian and nobody else. Definitely added to the whole Mary-Sue thing.

I wonder how many more updates there are in Inner Peace. I've started to get a feeling that Rob will take it to Wanda and Jillian at Faq in the leadup to Wanda betraying Faq to Stanley, rather than finishing it with Jillian making her deal with Charlie.
Arky
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Arky » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:55 pm

CDS wrote:He might have been a bit of a pompous buffoon but his record on survival is so far second only to Charlie which would really make me question how wise Jillian is really being here about wanting to start a mega-side is it what is good for the side? Or is it just her feeding her ego and desire for battle at the expense of the side? I mean if we didn't already know they're doomed we would have no reason to suspect their side wouldn't last another 13,000 turns as a bubble side.

Indeed. Banhammer is out of his depth dealing with a devious mind like Olive or Charlie but his overall strategy is fantastic if all you want to do is survive. Jillian has no wisdom- she just wants battle and glory.
Arky

Postby wih » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:40 am

Arky wrote:I wonder how many more updates there are in Inner Peace.

It'll be approx 100~ pages, according to a reddit post by Rob, and a clarification on the forums.
wih

Postby CDS » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:02 pm

Thanks for the clarification on two older characters I actually own the books with the bonus content they just didn't spring to mind. I think 30 years plus is quite impressive considering he can't escape into the Magic Kingdom like casters can. Although in fairness neither Wanda nor Charlie have gone down that route as far as we have been told but then I am not sure using attuned Arkentool users as a comparative is fair.

From this book I keep trying to find Jillian's character more compelling than the annoyance she was in Book 1 and continued to be in Book 2 but can anyone give me some character development I might have missed? Or even, if you also didn't like her what changed your mind?
CDS

Postby 0beron » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:08 pm

CDS wrote:I think 30 years plus is quite impressive considering he can't escape into the Magic Kingdom like casters can. Although in fairness Wanda [hasn't] gone down that route.
From this book I keep trying to find Jillian's character more compelling than the annoyance she was in Book 1 and continued to be in Book 2 but can anyone give me some character development I might have missed? Or even, if you also didn't like her what changed your mind?
With regard to Wanda, the caster thing still applies because even when a caster doesn't escape to the MK, they are highly prized and a capture will be attempted. And we see this in all instances that she changed hands...though Fate was playing a bit of a role behind the scenes, she survived because each conquering side wanted her with them. So yeah, casters will tend to survive longer one way or another most likely.
On the topic of Jillian, I think Book 0 helps...explain why she is that way. I have a saying, "that which explains does not always excuse." So from Book 0 there will no doubt be people who still dislike her, but we get to see what events made into into the person she is "now". It's technically character development...we're just seeing it in reverse so to speak.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby peteratjet » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:24 pm

Doh! Jack Point! How did I not see this before . WS Gilbert and Sir Arthur Sullivan have something to contribute here ....

http://youtu.be/PmIh7JtzaYM
peteratjet

Postby LordAcme » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:02 pm

drachefly wrote:
LordAcme wrote:Jack. Jack Jack Jack.

(etc)

Yes. BUT he wouldn't have done noticeably better any other time. He's not her type.

What he had going for her now was their recently fighting together. It was bonding, and if not followed up on, wouldn't go anywhere. So, it's not unreasonable for him to think that this was the best time.

Unreasonable for someone who's focused on themselves? No. Way wrong-move for someone whos class runs on observation? ...I would think yes. Jack appears not to have noticed that Jillian only feels free to engage in relationships when she feels free. Being crushed under the weight of defeat + responsibility = bad time for snugglenookie plan A.

But maybe it wasn't a bad time for plan B (as expressed in the inimitable GG comic - http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20110914 ). Be helpful, be patient, and BE THERE. And that's something Jack can totally do (and which I honestly expected as in character for him). The recent fighting gave him a chance to show his usefulness in her field, which helps cross that vast gulf he's been on the other side of ( non-combat caster + Courtier for King Badjudgment). In addition to not adding to her burdens, he really needed to take the steady gains right then instead of going for the gold.
LordAcme
Tool + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Lilwik » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:24 pm

LordAcme wrote:The recent fighting gave him a chance to show his usefulness in her field, which helps cross that vast gulf he's been on the other side of ( non-combat caster + Courtier for King Badjudgment). In addition to not adding to her burdens, he really needed to take the steady gains right then instead of going for the gold.
But you're not talking about steady gains. You're talking about one day of being in the field with Jillian that seems likely to be followed by going back to the way things used to be for countless turns into the future. It had to be very hard to not see this as a unique once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Even if he was aware that his chances weren't great,the temptation had to be enormous.
Last edited by Lilwik on Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lilwik

Postby Shai_hulud » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:45 pm

I'm more interested in the fact that he seems to think that she is into torturing/Sadism. Ironic since it turns out she's a bottom.
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Previous

Return to Reactions