Commanders - Sign Ups [CLOSED] and Discussion

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

Re: Commanders - Sign Ups [CLOSED] and Discussion

Postby GWvsJohn » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:09 pm

Just taking out 1 or 2 fliers would hurt us.
GWvsJohn

Postby Sir Shadow » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:11 pm

Which shouldn't be a possibility with Archons there. Not to mention, if it's so important, we can always land and enter the hex by foot.
Demon Lord Etna wrote:Looks like I have to resort to the politician's golden rule: "If they can't prove it, deny, deny, deny."
Sir Shadow

Location: When you reach the border of hell, turn right. Can't miss me.

Postby GWvsJohn » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:19 pm

Out of character, we'll have to agree to disagree.

In character, I would hope Raz would defer to the Warlords on the proper use of living troops.
GWvsJohn

Postby Sir Shadow » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:29 pm

Eeeeh, over small details like where 10 Wulfs should go? Maybe. On a larger scale, we'd have to see.
Demon Lord Etna wrote:Looks like I have to resort to the politician's golden rule: "If they can't prove it, deny, deny, deny."
Sir Shadow

Postby GWvsJohn » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:40 pm

Sir Shadow wrote:Eeeeh, over small details like where 10 Wulfs should go? Maybe. On a larger scale, we'd have to see.

If that's how you want to roleplay your character, fine. To me, it seems that Rax has an unusually high level of interest and knowledge about strategy and tactics for a level 1 caster.
GWvsJohn

Postby Sir Shadow » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:45 pm

Rax was popped to win, blame it on the Turnamancy/Luckamancy link. Not to mention, he's Chief Caster.
Sir Shadow

Postby GWvsJohn » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:20 pm

Sir Shadow wrote:Rax was popped to win, blame it on the Turnamancy/Luckamancy link. Not to mention, he's Chief Caster.

He was made chief caster 5 minutes ago and what relevance does that have on strategy? "Chief" gives you power not knowledge.

So your character concept is that he has as much knowledge about combat as a warlord? Plus all knowledge from being a caster?
GWvsJohn

Postby understandslittle » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:42 pm

Oh! That means Tank knows everything a caster knows! Thanks for telling me! :P
understandslittle

Postby Sir Shadow » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:55 pm

Lol, simple tactics is too much for a class of caster which is meant to lead mindless units? And as far as knowledge of magic goes, Rax is right there with you on all subjects other than croakamancy, and perhaps a bit of thinkamancy now that he and omgah have talked.
Sir Shadow

Postby GWvsJohn » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:11 pm

It's not simple tactics. It's arguing with a warlord about the overall plan fr a campaign.

Wanda knew very little about strategy and tactics when she popped. In fact, we know exactly when she learned how siege works. With the amount of combat your uncroaked will see, after we take a few cities Rax will know quite a bit. Right now, I expect him to know a lot less than Macho, Metter and Tank.

It's your character though. Play him how you want.

For what it's worth, I plan to play Macho pretty much oblivious about uncroaked at first and just defer to Rax. As we move along, I hope he and Rax gain a good understanding about each other so Macho can effectively utilize uncroaked since they will be a big part of our army.
GWvsJohn

Postby Acorntail » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:08 pm

To be fair, Sir Shadow, Cicatrix has been overshadowing the warlords recently. That may just be because the warlord players aren't always on, and/or you have strategy you really want to share, but GW has a point. Cicatrix only popped this morning; there are things he shouldn't know. If you're just roleplaying Cicatrix as stubborn, then that's different, but you shouldn't do that to a point where it starts to frustrate the other players.

I will concede that your character is allowed to have strategic knowledge. It's inherent in all commanders. But, GW's right, being a chief gives power, not knowledge. It's your unit type that determines this knowledge.

Being a caster gives magical knowledge.
Being a warlord gives tactical and strategic knowledge.
(And I guess Metter being a diplomat gives him tact-ical knowledge. :P)

But perhaps, for the sake of speeding up the game, rather than Cicatrix asking the warlords what basic strategy is, we can assume he learned by watching? With the timezone issues, rather than having five posts that informs his character on strategy that'll slow us down by a day, we can get into the meat of things and continue to war?

Your strategic knowledge is inherent as a commander. A warlord's tactical knowledge is reflected in their ability to learn specials, their leadership, their combat prowess and their superior levelling curve. Cicatrix can know all he wants about strategy, and offer advice on it, but when it comes to combat he'll be useless. His bonus to the uncroaked is a leadership bonus only by type; it is not representative of his tactical ability, but his magical connection with them. When it comes down to a fight, Macho and Tank would handily defeat a caster of comparable level one to one. Metter, being a diplomat, would be probably evenly matched.

Your characters, or even you, may butt heads; but let GW have this one. He's a warlord, this is war, this is his role. You'll get your spotlight once the battle's done and croakamancy calls. Trust me. ;)
Perpetually locked in a Mathamancy/Turnamancy link.
Acorntail

Postby Sir Shadow » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:49 pm

I suppose it is a fair argument, but it's not rocket science to think 'oh you say that Lore's main focus was sturdy walls? Better to not hit them straight on'. Part of it does have to do with when I am on and available to post and wanting to get what my character is saying out there. You should also not confuse anything I say in the OOC with what Rax is thinking or saying IC. Or confuse anything that is said IC with what is going on OOC. Anything I post as Rax is what he personally is thinking--such as when he rolled his eyes. I think another thing that wasn't understood was when I posted IC with the unit composition I had in mind, Rax was not saying that or even thinking, that was my personal suggestion since it seemed more appropriate in that thread. Anything Rax ever says out loud will be in quotations.

Keep this in mind especially when I'm arguing the strategy as above. The OOC should be where I can say "hey I don't think that's a good idea" and try to persuade you off a course of action, even if Rax can or can't say it. If you think I'm wrong in some way and want to have your character say something to the contrary or just take my thoughts with a grain of salt, go ahead.

Rax is intelligent, he is a schemer by nature. He can look at the map and say '___ would be an effective plan' but if conditions change during the fight that he had not previously counted on, he would have difficulty adapting any plan to the curveball. He also does not like being dismissed, which Macho has been quick to do several times. He's not arguing with a warlord that is many turns older than him, or even a higher level, he's arguing with a warlord that popped at the same time as him and has insulted him (in his mind) several times already.

If you want Rax to back off of strategy, I will do it--just don't expect me to back off it in the OOC. I was just under the impression we were meant to work together and just having my character sit around while the others talk--at least until you need something uncroaked--does not seem all that appealing. The way he says this is just a direct consequence of how he feels he's been treated, and be prepared for him to jab you if a plan you made fails or leads to unnecessary loss of resources.
Sir Shadow

Postby 0beron » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:26 pm

It really just comes down to a matter of defining a character's expertise. Take Ogmah for example. She is taking more interest in strategy than a typical Thinkamancer might....but she comes at it from a very broad perspective. She is a very analytic thinker, so she suggest a general course of action that seems most efficient. But she lacks the warlord's expertise for the minutia, so while she offers advice on overall campaign strategy, she'll largely stay out of the command decisions in a singular battle.

You just have to decide what type of mental expertise Rax has, given his power as a croakamancer, ideally in a way that marks him as dissimilar to a Warlord. You are intimately familiar with anatomy, so perhaps you have a superior understanding of what units are capable of compared to what a caster would normally know...but that doesn't mean you know a good way to organize them in the heat of battle. This is just a suggestion of one of the many ways you could explain Rax's opinions to yourself. When you feel you have nailed down that mental perspective (if you haven't already) then just stick with it and you're clear. I'm not accusing you of not doing this, just pointing it out as the guideline I have used for Ogmah.

For the part of the Warlords, I feel you should begin accepting that Rax will quickly become as much a tactician as the rest of you in one fashion or another, because he has a very combat-oriented discipline and is showing interest in it. As I pointed out above, this tactical skill will likely be more specialized than the broad skills of a Warlord, but you should get accustomed to the idea of having him at the table so to speak.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby understandslittle » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:41 pm

I don't really care. My comment had a :P for a reason. :P
understandslittle

Postby LTDave » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:25 am

On a non-RPing note, what method are we using for mounted movement?

Is it old-skool I have 8 move and get on a mount with 10 move, so I can move 18 move if I abandon the mount after 10?

Or is it "MarbitChow" style, where my move is reduced by 1 everytime my mount's move is reduced by 1. So, I have 8 move but the mount has 10 - I can move 10 hexes on the mount, and all my move is gone as well?

Old-Skool or MarbitChow skool?
LTDave

Postby Acorntail » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:34 am

LTDave wrote:On a non-RPing note, what method are we using for mounted movement?

Is it old-skool I have 8 move and get on a mount with 10 move, so I can move 18 move if I abandon the mount after 10?

Or is it "MarbitChow" style, where my move is reduced by 1 everytime my mount's move is reduced by 1. So, I have 8 move but the mount has 10 - I can move 10 hexes on the mount, and all my move is gone as well?

Old-Skool or MarbitChow skool?

Old-Skool: or as I prefer to call it, the Yoshi-Method. :P
Acorntail

Postby LTDave » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:02 am

(You will come to regret this decision: I THUS PREDICT IT!)
LTDave

Postby GWvsJohn » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:31 am

Is there a max stack size? Max number of stacks per hex?
GWvsJohn

Postby Acorntail » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:55 am

GWvsJohn wrote:Is there a max stack size? Max number of stacks per hex?

Hmm... I think having 16 be the max stack size should work. Can be any type of units: 16 Dwagons is just as good as 16 Stabbers. When you mount a unit, you count as a single unit for the purpose of determining stack size. No max amount of stacks per hex.
Acorntail

Postby Acorntail » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:10 am

GW; you just made my day with that war song. XD
Acorntail

PreviousNext

Return to Your Games