Popped Food and temporary buffs

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

Popped Food and temporary buffs

Postby Lipkin » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:40 am

I was rereading through book 1, and came across this page.

http://www.erfworld.com/book-1-archive/?px=%2F106.jpg

For some reason, it stuck out at me more on this read through.

"Contains a full day's supply of Luckamancy."

This has some interesting implications. Gobwin Knob doesn't have a Luckamancer, and yet the food that popped for Parson granted him a single day's worth of a Luckamancy buff. Sure, this was due to the SPWL Spell, but it still deserves some consideration.

What branch of natural magic does food popping fall under? Would it be possible to create more food which grants temporary buffs? Could this food be stock piled like scrolls, with the benefit of not needing a caster to use them?

And for fun, what is some other food that might grant temporary bonuses?

Hippymancers are known to farm mushrooms, could these be popped? What about acid tablets or other drugs?

It would be cool to see fortune cookies pop for a little bit of predictamancy.

Seems like booze would fall under date-a-mancy to me, seeing as date-a-mancy is the magic of opposition and attraction. Maybe popping some champagne (ha) would help with the personal date-a-mancy of a unit.

Anyway, just something that crossed my mind. It showed up once, wasn't remarked upon, and hasn't appeared again. Seems like something ripe to be exploited, assuming we could get more information on it. I would like ot see more buffed food popping naturally. That would be neat.
Lipkin

Re: Popped Food and temporary buffs

Postby 0beron » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:15 pm

Also recall that the Stupidmeals are generally silly and shown to be incomplete, so it's possible that's just false advertising.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Shai_hulud » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:24 pm

Like VitaminWater? We sort of know ingested foods can buff and debuff, because of the high elves making Crap Sack and Jillian sick. Also am I the only person who reads this threads title as Pooped Food?
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby No one in particular » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:10 pm

The Magic Kingdom is a weird place, so I wouldn't necessarily hold anything seen there are standard operating procedure for the rest of Erfworld. They have their own currency, no one attacks each other regardless of side, there's no move associated with entering/leaving...

We've seen other sides with farms as well (Faq, GK, technically Olive's Garden) and it's discussed how they usually work here.

At a guess, I'd call food popping as Natural Stuffamancy. Maybe if a unit was promoted to Chief Chef, the quality of food popped would be higher or something, maybe start getting those bonuses. :p
"Are you always so pessimistic?"
"Not at all. I saved it for my last battle."
---
Got questions? Ask Count Downer!
No one in particular

Postby drachefly » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:32 pm

I remember mention of a currency used by non-caster units among themselves. So that's not so weird.
drachefly

Postby Lilwik » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:34 pm

No one in particular wrote:I'd call food popping as Natural Stuffamancy.
More like Natural Moneymancy! Don't forget, they have to pay for that food. Stanley certainly doesn't forget. Book 1, Page 39.
Lilwik

Postby Shai_hulud » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:26 am

Where as pooping food is natural Dirtamancy?
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby wih » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:35 am

Assuming you're popping it by method related to Dirtamancy...farms can be run on either Dirtamancy or Hippiemancy. Could count as either. Spending schmuckers for food would certainly be Moneymancy tho.

EDIT: Just noticed the extra 'o'. Well played.
wih

Postby YesNinja » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:44 pm

Yeah, for some reason I kind of assumed this was a joke. But then again, I think Parson later mentions trying to cast Luckamancy on Bogroll, right? So.... I dunno! It'd definitely be cool.
YesNinja

Postby Lilwik » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:00 pm

YesNinja wrote:Yeah, for some reason I kind of assumed this was a joke.
Erfworld doesn't joke. Erfworld is always deadly serious; that's what makes it so funny. I have absolutely no doubt that there really was Luckamancy in that cereal, and any similarity to Stupidworld products is purely coincidental.
Lilwik

Postby Lipkin » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:19 am

I really do love the idea of fortune cookies popping with actually predictions in them.
Lipkin

Postby bpzinn » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:56 am

I agree that this is something to be exploited. And could probably we achieved multiple ways. Moneymancy seems easiest, but harder to stockpile. Have the moneymancer spend some juice and cast "upsell" and your daily food rations pop as premium food rations. Of course this costs "a few shmuckers more" and there is no guarantee the premium will still give the bonus the next day, not go stale instead. Preserving the food might be another discipline.
bpzinn

Return to Everything Else Erfworld