Book 2 - Page 113

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 - Page 113

Postby Taikei no Yuurei » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:56 pm

I fairly purposefully excluded that because there is almost certainly no mining or hunting to be done in the MK, and since it is fully isolated with exits only existing to active capitals, casters are more or less stuck there. This does leave farming though, which I suppose all the casters (that need to) could be using to keep themselves alive, but that raises a huge question about why bubble sides can't exist. I mean, if every unit is capable of sustaining itself through farming, why couldn't a side (like... I don't know... FAQ) just have a bunch of farms to keep all its units alive without the need to go fight anyone ever? I mean, most sides likely wouldn't be satisfied with doing that, but everything seems to indicate that FAQ would have loved to, but couldn't. Then again.... maybe FAQ actually could, and Banhammer just wasn't letting Jillian know that, because he knew he had his plan to eventually have her capture a capital to move the side (thanks to that predictamancy). If she had no field experience, that would be exceedingly difficult, so he sent her out on Mercenary work, not to earn enough schmuckers to keep the side going, but so she could level, learn tactics, learn to scout, etc.
Taikei no Yuurei
Tool + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Lilwik » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:26 pm

Taikei no Yuurei wrote:I fairly purposefully excluded that because there is almost certainly no mining or hunting to be done in the MK,
Where do you get that from? It looks like a forest to me, so I have no problem believing there might be hunting, and we haven't seen what goes on in the Stuffamancy octant; they might be mining an enormous network of tunnels beneath the Magic Kingdom.

Taikei no Yuurei wrote:and since it is fully isolated with exits only existing to active capitals, casters are more or less stuck there.
They are stuck in the one place in all of Erfworld where they can go have a face-to-face conversation with any Ruler without using any move. I can't imagine anyone in a better position to get upkeep.

Taikei no Yuurei wrote:I mean, if every unit is capable of sustaining itself through farming, why couldn't a side (like... I don't know... FAQ) just have a bunch of farms to keep all its units alive without the need to go fight anyone ever?
We know that the Magic Kingdom doesn't sustain itself from the land alone; they pull in many shmuckers. The exact way that the shmuckers spread around the kingdom isn't clear, but it probably has something to do with the Rand currency. The bigger mystery is fugitives like Jillian who are apparently able to sustain themselves completely independently. That's much harder to explain. Could it be that the only reason Faq couldn't survive entirely self-contained is that they wanted a higher quality of life than a fugitive has? Were tea, nice clothes, and comfortable beds so important to them that they wouldn't abandon it all even if it meant they could get rid of the mercenary missions?
Lilwik

Postby TheLiontamer » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:58 pm

Taikei no Yuurei wrote:I mean, if every unit is capable of sustaining itself through farming, why couldn't a side (like... I don't know... FAQ) just have a bunch of farms to keep all its units alive without the need to go fight anyone ever?
We know that the Magic Kingdom doesn't sustain itself from the land alone; they pull in many shmuckers. The exact way that the shmuckers spread around the kingdom isn't clear, but it probably has something to do with the Rand currency. The bigger mystery is fugitives like Jillian who are apparently able to sustain themselves completely independently. That's much harder to explain. Could it be that the only reason Faq couldn't survive entirely self-contained is that they wanted a higher quality of life than a fugitive has? Were tea, nice clothes, and comfortable beds so important to them that they wouldn't abandon it all even if it meant they could get rid of the mercenary missions?

Basically this, Farming for upkeep would mean... living like a farmer. The entire side would just pay upkeep and not have enough schmuckers for an army, or infrastructure, or new units at all even? They probably wouldn't have survived if they couldn't have popped a Thinkamancer, Predictamancer and Foolamancer.
TheLiontamer

Postby Drongo2 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:25 pm

I thought that the MK with their Rand currency may not have needed currency for upkeep but I stand corrected.

If too many casters joined GK right now Parson could send them on dangerous missions through the portals until many are decrypted or croaked. Yes this would be too ruthless for Parson but this would be a way of breaking the rules to win. I would imagine that Parson will at least want to subdue the hostile forces in the MK then take on Charlie.
Drongo2

Postby Dark Matter » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:17 pm

ftl wrote:They're not really his allies. They have goals for him, but they want to live, too! If Parson starts slaughtering the MK (them included)...
Why would Parsons kill his allies?

ftl wrote:This was a discussion of Parson vs the MK, after all.
He doesn't need to kill every caster, including his allies, to take over MK.

ftl wrote:I don't think this is going to end with mass slaughter in the MK, and I expect neither do they.
Parsons has taken an army into MK, his allies know it (and most knew either before or while he was doing it).

We've moved beyond JoJo wanting to kill Parsons because Parsons is a warlord (who took out JoJo's side), with the counter argument being that Parsons really is some kind of caster.

JoJo has now been proven right, Parsons *is* trying to destroy MK (or it will be seen as such by basically everyone). He's got an army there. Either MK takes him out or they're entire way of life is through. If they kill him *right* *now* then they can still claim to be neutral, but if GK has an army on MK soil then MK isn't neutral.

Parsons needs to die if MK is to continue as was, Parsons allies know this, so they need to decide which side they're on.
Dark Matter

Postby BakaGrappler » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:20 am

Dark Matter wrote:Parsons needs to die if MK is to continue as was, Parsons allies know this, so they need to decide which side they're on.

"The Predictamancers stand with Lord Hamster." Leering smile.

"The Thinkamancer stand with Lord Hamster!" Deadpan delivery.

"...The Hippymancers stand with Lord Hampster!!" Troubled delivery after determining the greater good.

"Yeah, well the Carnymancers stand AGAINST Lord Hampster." Said with the boldness only a unit that cannot engage in combat this turn can muster.

"I kinda already knew that, Jojo." Said with the depression that comes with stating the obvious.
An epic space opera where you fully customize your Captain's Background, Military Career, and Court Martial.
Will you prevent civilization from fracturing and win back your honor? Or betray the Empress' trust and plunder the galaxy?
BakaGrappler

Postby drachefly » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:50 am

Lilwik wrote:Could it be that the only reason Faq couldn't survive entirely self-contained is that they wanted a higher quality of life than a fugitive has? Were tea, nice clothes, and comfortable beds so important to them that they wouldn't abandon it all even if it meant they could get rid of the mercenary missions?

Or, farming would leave enough of a footprint that even Jack couldn't hide it?
drachefly

Postby GWvsJohn » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:15 am

It's implied that not every city is capable of supporting farms. That's why Warchalking is such a valuable asset.
I know how it works. And I'm not that confident.
GWvsJohn

Postby Taikei no Yuurei » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:12 pm

At least one of the three FAQ cities was a farming city, and was described as looking like a larger version of the farms surrounding it. So, yeah, they had some level of farming at least.
Taikei no Yuurei

Postby CaesarVH » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:18 am

Long time giantitp lurker, just came to point out the obvious... The spell "Dio", of course, refers to Ronnie James Dio, the godfather of metal, who, to the grief of the rocking world passed away in 2010. Dio was considered to be the reinventor of the 'metal hand sign'
\m/.. Very cool reference guys!

Now that I'm writing a reply anyways I'd like to thank Xin for a lot of awesome epicness in her drawing and mention that I also quite like the new format:) keep rocking guys!
CaesarVH

Previous

Return to Reactions