Book 2 – Epilogue 02 – Jack Decrypted

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Epilogue 02 – Jack Decrypted

Postby WarFAN » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:24 pm

And the elephant in the room is...

What is so important about Charlie's past?

We know he is a Carny, as is Jojo. We know he got an arkentool, as Stanley did. We know his daughter tried to kill him, just as Don's. We know he did some magic research here and there, as the casters who created the Perfect Warlord Spell. So what? Why any of this things is important?

Why did Charlie bind all FAQ under a contract of no-telling anybody this pitiful bits of absolutely superfluous gossips?
WarFAN

Postby 0beron » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:30 pm

WarFAN wrote:What is so important about Charlie's past? We know he is a Carny. We know his daughter tried to kill him
These two things are not something that is common knowledge. Especially his true nature as a Carny is likely something he wishes to conceal. And the fact that his daughter tried to kill him may not in of itself be valuable, but what she did and her reasons for it might be important.
Lastly, you missed something important. Despite the fact that Jillian and WANDA know about the 'Shoes, they haven't mentioned them in the present. Charlie's deal might play a role in that.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby No one in particular » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:36 pm

WarFAN wrote:And the elephant in the room is...

What is so important about Charlie's past?

We know he is a Carny, as is Jojo. We know he got an arkentool, as Stanley did. We know his daughter tried to kill him, just as Don's. We know he did some magic research here and there, as the casters who created the Perfect Warlord Spell. So what? Why any of this things is important?

Why did Charlie bind all FAQ under a contract of no-telling anybody this pitiful bits of absolutely superfluous gossips?

Random guessing time!

1. Charlie's a woman
  2. Charlie's a ROYAL
  3. Charlie is rarely in Charlescomm, and is constantly visiting other Sides & thus exposed to attack
  4. Charlie is actually Olive! "Charlie" has become a title that gets handed over to whoever controls the 'Dish
"Are you always so pessimistic?"
"Not at all. I saved it for my last battle."
---
Got questions? Ask Count Downer!
No one in particular

Postby WarFAN » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:40 pm

0beron wrote:We know he is a Carny. We know his daughter tried to kill himThese two things are not something that is common knowledge. Especially his true nature as a Carny is likely something he wishes to conceal.

Why does he want to conceal it? Why it is important?

And the fact that his daughter tried to kill him may not in of itself be valuable, but what she did and her reasons for it might be important.

An ideoligical disagreement. Not xonvinced, but maybe.

Lastly, you missed something important. Despite the fact that Jillian and WANDA know about the 'Shoes, they haven't mentioned them in the present. Charlie's deal might play a role in that.

There are four known arkentools. Everybody knows that in Erfworld. I think we can be assured about Parson asking and knowing about them. Wanda and Jillian chatting about the "lost arkentool" always seemed at retconning to me...
WarFAN

Postby 0beron » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:50 pm

WarFAN wrote:
  1. Why does he want to conceal [being a Carny]? Why it is important?
  2. [His daughter tried to kill him over an ideoligical disagreement. maybe.]

1. If YOU were a mega rich CEO, would YOU want everyone knowing you are literally a magical cheat and liar?
  2. That's so far as we know. Charlie didn't say much on the subject, Wanda wasn't present for it, and Olive has good reason to lie. There may be more info coming about that in the next few Book 0 pages that could be worth hiding.
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby coyotenose » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:40 pm

WarFAN wrote:There are four known arkentools. Everybody knows that in Erfworld. I think we can be assured about Parson asking and knowing about them. Wanda and Jillian chatting about the "lost arkentool" always seemed at retconning to me...

Only a handful of people know about the Arkenshoes (and we now have reason to think that most or all of those people were magically prevented from speaking of them). Being outside of common knowledge qualifies as not being "known". There could still be another Arkentool in common lore of which we haven't heard.

Intuitively it seems like Parson would have asked about the fourth tool, but consider that his discussions almost always related to practical matters (for obvious reasons) or to theorycraft. Something that didn't seem to be a factor at all in his "world" could have easily slipped by. It isn't hard to imagine a visitor to our world taking a crash course in geopolitics so as to be a diplomat to various nations, and then coming out knowing nothing about Antarctica.
coyotenose

Postby mortissimus » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:47 pm

Yes! No mindwipes necessary to bind book 0 with the rest, just NDAs. Much better story that way.
mortissimus

Postby No one in particular » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:58 pm

..!

Wait, contracts, EULAs, NDAs... Charlie isn't a Carnymancer! He's... a LAWYER! D:

My god... it's worse than anything we imagined. The horror... the horror...
---
No one in particular

Postby Kreistor » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:14 pm

0beron wrote:Yeah, Kriestor you are tooootally overacting. Like No-One said, such a deal would be horribly unreasonable if not outright impossible (even if it were accepted and the unit could convince themselves that the benefit of the deal fulfilled their Duty enough to offset the massive harm of such intel, that logic would stop working as soon as he left FAQ, since he is no longer on the side the benefited from the contract.). So from a plot perspective it's neigh impossible.

No, you're missing it. There is a metric ton of speculation that this casts doubt on. Everyone's pretty little ideas about this that and the other thing. It's not about what we know. It's about what people want to be true. This doesn't attack facts... it attacks speculation! ALL of it.
http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/TBFGK_1 Here you can find all comic pages written as text for convenient quoting.

http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/Erfworld_Mechanics The starting page for accessing all known Erfworld "rules".
Kreistor

Postby 0beron » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:30 pm

No Kriestor, now YOU are the one wearing the tinfoil hat. It has been EXPLICITLY stated that Charlie knows about G-strings and how to use them. Besides that obvious fact glaring you in the face, I would suspect that a careful read of the comic would reveal there are other things that Jack didn't know and thus Charlie couldn't have known without reading Eyebooks.
Furthermore, I challenge you to make a serious argument for how Jack & Wanda could possibly justify this with their Duty and thus avoid auto-disband. Maybe they could have swallowed it while with FAQ, because Charlie gave FAQ something so valuable that it would somehow balance out the massive detriment of providing free intel for the rest of their life. But as soon as FAQ falls and they join GK, they now have Duty to a side that didn't benefit in the slightest from the agreement. The agreement would then become null, or they would auto-disband...unless you can present me with an argument that justifies their obvious treachery.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Hayes » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:47 pm

SWEET I like where this is going.
Hayes

Postby Aquillion » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:50 pm

fjolnir wrote:I think it is interesting though that while everyone else decrypted sees wanda as their better, Jack (so far) is the only one who processes his now elevated opinion of wanda and generates "equal" or "peer" which is telling in his choice to use "sister wanda".
I think part of the reason might be because Decryption changes their mindset in the way most likely to evoke loyalty. Most people are loyal to their betters, but Jack's odd mindset might mean he isn't -- he's more loyal to someone he considers a friend or a fellow-traveler.

(That said, it does seem to have given him an obsessive devotion and love for her like the others, even if it's expressed as kinship.)

Interestingly, judging by her distaste, Wanda doesn't seem to even like it -- I think she enjoyed sniping (ha) with him more than she let on. This confirms that her desire to decrypt him was solely so someone could tell Parson whatever they were bound not to say, and not a desire to make him her slave or "win" against him or anything like that.
Aquillion

Postby Sojiko » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:58 pm

Wow, that's a really interesting revelation!

I really want to see where this leads. I hope we won't have to wait for weeks (or even months) before we get to see him warning Parson.
Sojiko

Postby 0beron » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:04 pm

Sojiko wrote:I hope we won't have to wait for weeks (or even months) before we get to see him warning Parson.

I expect it will come soonish. The last intermission between books was filled with a lot of background/exposition information that set the stage for the next book, and given that Parson is on his way to discuss strategy with the GMtTA, it will probably come up in conversation then.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby multilis » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:46 pm

Epilogue 03 - That didn't last long!

Jack was truly happy for first time in ages. Finally he could tell Parson...

Suddenly a picture appeared in his head "Please hold for incoming call from Charlie," tweeted what looked like a well dressed babe from Charliecom.

... The smile disappeared off of Jack's face. Once again Charlie had made an offer he could not refuse. Bound by a new NDA he could not tell Parson. Perhaps by Book 10 they would find some way to cheat this agreement and tell Parson!

Isaac sighed to Parson, "and there is more, critically important more info you need to know about Charlie. Unfortunately I am under a Non Disclosure agreement so I can't tell you. Same is true for every other thinkomancer in erfworld. He has us by the balls!"
Last edited by multilis on Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
multilis

Postby Gregoriownd » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:47 pm

OK, so I'm seeing this argument over which makes the better story, Charlie is an uberhacker that makes the G-Strings dance to his whim via the Dish, or, Charlie gets his info via unwitting spies under NDAs (such as Jack, as per the example).

Why not both? Have fun with THAT dose of paranoia fuel. ^_^
Gregoriownd

Postby Elhoim » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:51 pm

Really nice update!

Regarding the audio book, the narrator inflections are annoying and way off the intent the text suggests. His diction is great, but his storytelling skills are lacking. Kinda like he is more focused on the word sound than on the meaning they try to convey.
Elhoim

Postby multilis » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:51 pm

Gregoriownd wrote:Why not both? Have fun with THAT dose of paranoia fuel. ^_^

You will never know. Every time someone gets close to telling Parson, Charlie will keep forcing new NDAs, and then story of erfworld ends. Have fun with THAT does of paranoia fuel. ;-P
multilis

Postby No one in particular » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:05 pm

multilis wrote:
Gregoriownd wrote:Why not both? Have fun with THAT dose of paranoia fuel. ^_^

You will never know. Every time someone gets close to telling Parson, Charlie will keep forcing new NDAs, and then story of erfworld ends. Have fun with THAT does of paranoia fuel. ;-P

"We'd tell you how the story ends, but Charlie's got an NDA on us. Sorry!"
---
No one in particular

Postby Finn MacCool » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:04 pm

No one in particular wrote:Wait, contracts, EULAs, NDAs... Charlie isn't a Carnymancer! He's... a LAWYER! D:

meh, same difference.
Finn MacCool

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions