Book 2 - Epilogue 01 - Artemis Decrypted

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 - Epilogue 01 - Artemis Decrypted

Postby Lamech » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:49 pm

Thoughts about update: I do like comic pages, but... this is actually probably an acceptable use of art resources. Yes, I would prefer moar art, cause its good, but this seems like a good use of limited resources. Still more time is good to judge.
The art work is about as good as book 2 at the start or maybe a little better. If Jamie and Xin are any evidence it will soon improve to the glorious levels of late book one or late book two art. (GLORIOUS!)
[/quasi-criticism]
All that said, this comic has good art, and good writing. I think its probably, either the best or second best comic around. ... Hey is there gonna be a new book to buy soonish? I need to give you guys some money again...
Lamech

Postby Sir Shadow » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:16 pm

No one in particular wrote:Minor art quibble... shouldn't Sizemore have pants?

I know he had pants for most of LIAB, but it looks distinctly like leg hair & knees in the second pic there, and not just stains and wrinkles (as you'd expect from a dirtamancer).

Yea, he was wearing pants AND boots like only 3 pages ago :P nothing some quick retconjuration can't fix.
Demon Lord Etna wrote:Looks like I have to resort to the politician's golden rule: "If they can't prove it, deny, deny, deny."
Sir Shadow

Location: When you reach the border of hell, turn right. Can't miss me.

Postby awwx » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:27 pm

I love the voiceover!

But could we get a video without the text overlaying the video? I find the text distracting, and I'd prefer to just be listening and looking at the art :)
awwx

Postby nargbop » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:13 pm

I like the new art. I'll call it a signamancy change : The standard infantry are getting taller and more adult proportions than in Book 1 and 2. Parson's dropped forty pounds. Also, Sizemore looks fine, pants or not.

It's interesting to note that Artemis knows who her is Mistress right away, before Artemis is indoctrinated at all. You'd think Wanda would at least introduce herself, given the recent lesson with Ossomer.
nargbop
Tool + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Eva » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:40 pm

If you can't say anything nice....

But I'm not a fan of either the art or the voiceover. Sorry.

The art, I can get used to. The voiceover one can ignore, of course, but the fact it exists is a bit cringeworthy. You never like to see caricatures of your favourite things.
Eva

Postby WaterMonkey314 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:47 pm

I'm not sure how I feel about either the new art or the voiceover. For whatever reason, I can't shake the feeling that the art looks vaguely "amateurish" (maybe it's due to the brighter color palette and simpler shading? Jamie used more pastels, and Xin's shading is nothing but lush.) Like others have said, the voice over seems a bit too much like a children's story, but I just won't listen to it if I'm in a hurry.

I'm slightly worried about the wiki-maintainers as the text seems embedded in the image or video - will they have access to a plaintext version that doesn't need to be transcribed?
WaterMonkey314

Postby No one in particular » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:05 pm

Speaking as one of the guys who helps maintain the wiki (even though I've gone and disappeared for months at a time a few times now), having to transcribe the text is nothing new.

It has to be done for every comic page, and even the text updates have to be gone over for formatting and linking stuff.
"Are you always so pessimistic?"
"Not at all. I saved it for my last battle."
---
Got questions? Ask Count Downer!
No one in particular

Postby ThisIsNotDan » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:58 pm

I like the video version a lot! I read through the whole update first, then went back and watched the video. I enjoyed how the narrator "Americanized" his accent when he took on Parson's voice, and I look forward to how he'll interpret other characters' voices. I like that he's not a straight-up voice actor--I don't think I would have liked Parson having his own distinct voice--it's more like the text is just being read to me by a professional. I've never been a major consumer of audiobooks, but I like this one.

I also like the panning in the video--at first I thought it would be too much, but I liked how it focused on specific characters as they were discussed. For example, the camera stopped and focused on the other archers in the scene when the narrator was discussing the archers, and I had a moment to admire just them and take in the whole scene a bit more. I tend to miss some of the minor details in the art, which tend to be the most delightful ones, and forcing myself to slow down to the reader's pace helps a lot with that.
ThisIsNotDan

Postby arbo » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:07 pm

memnarch wrote:(...) the faces (...) seem somewhat derpy.

You know, I actually like those faces a lot. Since the Erfabet I've been thinking Infantry's faces are one of the things David nailed best on his artistic interpretation of things Erfworld. It would be easy to give Infantry units the same face all over, but in David's Infantry you see he's making the effort to give them lots of different expressions, and even so, all of them seem to be in a similar permanently agitated state. Reminds me a little of Despicable Me's never-stopping minions, who all look the same and yet are all unique. But here instead of slapstick silliness, Infantry gets a paranoid vibe like they're always thinking "get ready, battle will start at any minute now!"
“Run this same calculation ten times in a row. Go.”
arbo
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby OneHugeTuck » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:15 pm

Onay ikeylay ethay oicevay overway animationway ideovay. Onay
ikeylay atway allway. Abortway! Abortway!

(Not conviced that that was the best pig latin tranlator ever...)
OneHugeTuck
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby Beeskee » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:09 am

Is it me or does Parson sound a little like Batman?

You can't unhear it now. :D
Beeskee
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby jmdbcool » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:26 am

awwx wrote:I love the voiceover!

But could we get a video without the text overlaying the video? I find the text distracting, and I'd prefer to just be listening and looking at the art :)

I second this, please. It's very distracting, especially that wall of text at 1:46-1:54.

Consider instead using YouTube's built-in caption feature. It's easier from the video creation side-- you just copy-paste your text into the caption box, and YouTube automatically listens to the audio and times caption placement for you, instead of having to add each caption manually. And for those people who prefer no text, it can be toggled off with one click.

I like the voiceover; it feels like a good audio book. I will get used to the art. The pan/zoom of the video leaves something to be desired... you could do so much more, even in a short time! Develop the artwork in 2-3 layers, and pan them at slightly different rates for a parallax effect! The tiny bit of animation (light getting brighter as the wall broke down) was my favorite part. This is a good time to practice effects you might like to use in the motion comic... just simple stuff.
jmdbcool
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby coyo » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:31 am

Welcome to the new artist and good job.

To me, the change in artist is almost becoming Dr Who thing. Each finds their own voice and brings something different.
. o O (we're just approximations of ourselves)
. o O (imagination is)
coyo
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby Tonot » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:54 am

I appreciate the new style voice over. And I like the new artwork too. Creators we admire and follow because they are creative have made more for us to admire, what is not to like?.

:D

Hello again Archery Warlady, I hope your new run through is more satisfying for you. Ahemm . . . that robust fellow Ace is pretty inventive and interesting, and he is a person who will go right to the end for his friends, he might make your existence slightly happier if you gave him a chance! And maybe you can do the same for him?. It is good to give and receive, friendship.

;)
Tonot

Postby OneHugeTuck » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:00 am

Beeskee wrote:Is it me or does Parson sound a little like Batman?

Is it me or are the infantry faces a little TOO MUCH like Beavis and Butthead?

You can't unsee it now. (I can't).
OneHugeTuck
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby Smoker » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:37 am

Sizemore needs to be holding his shovel, too, right?
No, no. It hit him in the brain because it killed him. - Dante
Smoker

Postby randint » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:33 am

I'm excited to see the new updates, and seeing different perspectives.

But can I request one thing? (possibly already asked for here).

Could the text of the update also be posted as plaintext below the actual illustrated page? It would help me greatly in reading these awesome updates!
What Parson's slogan should have been: "We break things. Sometimes that even works."
randint

Postby Eva » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:22 am

randint wrote:But can I request one thing? (possibly already asked for here).

Could the text of the update also be posted as plaintext below the actual illustrated page? It would help me greatly in reading these awesome updates!

I completely agree.
Eva

Postby Beeskee » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:40 am

OneHugeTuck wrote:
Beeskee wrote:Is it me or does Parson sound a little like Batman?

Is it me or are the infantry faces a little TOO MUCH like Beavis and Butthead?

You can't unsee it now. (I can't).

"Heheh. Dude, we're, like, in the army now."
"Yeah, let's kill them with fire! FIRE!"
Beeskee
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby splintermute » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:55 am

No one in particular wrote:I think it's the nostrils. It looks like someone farted, and everyone is trying to figure out what the smell is.

The stabber leaning in towards Parson's bracer arm in the first panel is clearly the one who dealt it.
splintermute

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions