Book 2 - Epilogue 01 - Artemis Decrypted

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 - Epilogue 01 - Artemis Decrypted

Postby Ansan Gotti » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:06 pm

I think the art is fantastic. If he can produce art like this on a reasonable time scale, I am totally thrilled about the prospects for the future.

Prose is great as always.

Voice narration was just fine, pretty solid, actually, although I must confess it isn't a huge value-add for me.
Ansan Gotti
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Whispri » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:27 pm

Frostbeard wrote:
0beron wrote:Well, that's assuming she is indeed stuck there. There are two ways she could still get out:
  • Portal only disbands incoming traffic
  • Decryption renders the unit unrecognizable by the Portal, meaning they don't disband in either direction.

It's also possible that the Magic Kingdom is a geographic area in Erfworld rather than something separate, in which case she could fly, ride or walk out.

Oh sure, there's a chance she'll escape, it's even possible that there's a hidden safe portal or that Wanda has magical means of getting her out, but all the same. :( :cry:

No one in particular wrote:Minor art quibble... shouldn't Sizemore have pants?

I know he had pants for most of LIAB, but it looks distinctly like leg hair & knees in the second pic there, and not just stains and wrinkles (as you'd expect from a dirtamancer).

Other than that, I'm not saying anything about the art, pacing or reading. Change is always hard to accept, and a single data point does not make a graph. I'll get back to you in a few more updates.

The lack of trousers suggests that he'd preparing a Shockmancy attack.
Whispri

Postby memnarch » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:38 pm

Pretty good update, and I like the artwork. All of it, except the faces. Those still seem somewhat derpy. Artemis looks pretty decent though, as does the dark skinned piker in the first picture.
memnarch
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Zeku » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:45 pm

The narrator sounds pretty weird to us, because we want to just read the update carefully and try to figure out something new about what's going on. Someone else might just want to have a story read to them, and they will be better served by sitting down and listening to the entire thing over several hours. But maybe the narration will cleaner and more cohesive if it's assembled after the entire sub-plot is finished. This way the proper tone can be chosen for each sub-sub-subplot, rather than having a complete voice reset every 5 minutes.

It's true that I think of Erfworld as a very nerdy affair. Nerdiness means intellectual and "particular" diversity. Lots of different types of things. There's most definitely room for a haughty, slow paced narrator within Erfworld. I already think of him as a lite version of the dungeon keeper narrator.

But there also needs to be squeaky things and banal things and backwards things and sexy things and loud things. Not everything is going to sound good in a story-book tone. This is consistent with both nerdiness and the wide range of references made by Erfworld.
Zeku

Postby kazriko » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:49 pm

I liked the audio update, but that may be because I'm used to listening to podcasts...
kazriko
Tool + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!
Tool + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!

Postby jkosta » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:56 pm

Not Me wrote:but when I think about it, it seems there was no need for him to have promoted himself to do what he has done.
Garrison units have 0 move. He had 0 move before entering the MK in Book 2 and also had 0 move when entering Spacerock's portal.
Only question would be if despite not needing move to do it, being a Garrison unit would have prevented him from entering another side's Garrison. It's the only way I can see to justify Parson promoting himself at the time instead of waiting for GKs next turn to do so.

Parson probably promoted himself as a contingency plan. If he plans to command an army outside the MK and needs to move with it, then he needs to have Move. He wasn't anticipating the inferno, after all; his original plan may have been to conquer Spacerock, rally up, and then go somewhere from there.
jkosta

Postby No one in particular » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:00 pm

memnarch wrote:Pretty good update, and I like the artwork. All of it, except the faces. Those still seem somewhat derpy. Artemis looks pretty decent though, as does the dark skinned piker in the first picture.

I think it's the nostrils. It looks like someone farted, and everyone is trying to figure out what the smell is.
"Are you always so pessimistic?"
"Not at all. I saved it for my last battle."
---
Got questions? Ask Count Downer!
No one in particular

Postby Shai_hulud » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:06 pm

I think people complaining about Sizemore's pants have missed the most logical explanation. Clearly, Joe Dirtamancer is such a bad ass that he literally rocksers Sizermore's boxers down to his socksers. No art error necessary.
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby No one in particular » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:10 pm

Maybe Parson wanted Sizemore to make a couple of crap-golems to round out the fighting force?
---
No one in particular

Postby 0beron » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:12 pm

I'm pretty sure Sizemore has never had real pants. He wears super short shorts, like those granola crunch crunch guys who ran the summer camp from childhood that you wish you could forget
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby FlyinFungi » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:37 pm

I like the art. It won't be the same as Xin's and will take some getting used to. For the voice actor parts. Eh, its alright. I listen to a lot of audio books but I need more time to figure out how much I really like it. It is hard to judge how good the acting is with only two people he has acted for (and Parson's bit was short). Defiantly need more time and samples guys before you decide!
FlyinFungi

Postby No one in particular » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:43 pm

0beron wrote:I'm pretty sure Sizemore has never had real pants. He wears super short shorts, like those granola crunch crunch guys who ran the summer camp from childhood that you wish you could forget

Ahem. :p

Pants. Tucked into knee-high boots. Nehru jacket.
---
No one in particular

Postby 0beron » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:24 pm

Oh well that's wierd....we definitely see him with bare legs wayyyy more often at least from what I remember. Did Xin always draw him with full pants and Jamie with bare legs perhaps?

EDIT: A quick review suggests this might be the case. Jamie drew him in a red shirt with bare legs, Xin did the jacket and pants.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby shamelessmerc » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:38 pm

Yeah, in Book One Sizemore had bare, hairy legs the first time we meet him.(EDIT - after those first few frames it's not clear if he's wearing trousers or not) It's still weird though, because he was wearing troos and high boots just 30 seconds ago (in plot time)

Whispri wrote:The lack of trousers suggests that he'd preparing a Shockmancy attack.

LMAO at that, also seems to be the best suggestion for what's going on.
shamelessmerc

Postby mortissimus » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:18 pm

shamelessmerc wrote:Yeah, in Book One Sizemore had bare, hairy legs the first time we meet him.(EDIT - after those first few frames it's not clear if he's wearing trousers or not) It's still weird though, because he was wearing troos and high boots just 30 seconds ago (in plot time)

Whispri wrote:The lack of trousers suggests that he'd preparing a Shockmancy attack.

LMAO at that, also seems to be the best suggestion for what's going on.

No no, he has the pants on again a minute later when he casts breakout.

I think, like in some spells in D&D that needs preparing, he has prepared for being able to cast crap golem. Also explains a lot of the second picture if we imagine a pile of pre-golem material sitting on the floor.
mortissimus

Postby badninja » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:22 pm

Interesting update, I wonder how Gk will handle having this outpost in the MK. David's style will take getting use to but it is interesting how each artist that has drawn Erfworld has imparted their own feel to the comic. The narration was different and I will not always listen to them as it just does not work for me. The narration is cool and all, but a web comic doesn't work for me. Nice to be back on a regular update schedule and cannot wait to see what book 3 brings!
I came, I saw, I had fun!
badninja
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!

Postby frei » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:38 pm

ok, home from work. The voice narration is excellent. If it were just a straight up audiobook, I'd be very impressed. However, I don't think the panning over still art works very well. Given that there are accompanying images, I think I'd rather just read it. Or perhaps just have the stills appear in the video still (no panning, no brightness changes, etc. -- maybe a brief fade in/fade out would be fine).
frei

Postby dougrn » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:07 pm

I am intrigued my the change, but I can not get the video at work. I will have to wait until I get home to properly review it.

It sounds like you will have someone reading the comic. I prefer not to have embedded videos, as I can not access them when I am working.

-doug
dougrn

Postby Morthe » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:26 pm

No one in particular wrote:
memnarch wrote:Pretty good update, and I like the artwork. All of it, except the faces. Those still seem somewhat derpy. Artemis looks pretty decent though, as does the dark skinned piker in the first picture.

I think it's the nostrils. It looks like someone farted, and everyone is trying to figure out what the smell is.

:lol:
Spot on, sir, spot on!
Morthe

Postby YesNinja » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:50 pm

I think we should give it more time. I will say that for this particular update, I wasn't a fan of the reading, (Though I'll fully admit that it may be because this update was mostly self-talk, and I don't think that translates well to spoken word) but that I do see a lot of potential for it. Jack-Parson conversations could be really well done when read out-loud, I think.

As for the art? I reserve judgements until later. All I'll say is that the lack of pants is hilarious,and I'm not sure why it exists.
YesNinja

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions