Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 071

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 071

Postby balder » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:46 am

New One is up.
balder

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 071

Postby No one in particular » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:03 am

Hm! So, what is seen is what Jillian thinks of the others. But what they say! That is still them, not Jillian!

So what does it mean that the Banhammer-Jester says that she should be hunting?

Also, as always, kudos to Jack for keeping his head when those around him are out of theirs.
"Are you always so pessimistic?"
"Not at all. I saved it for my last battle."
---
Got questions? Ask Count Downer!
No one in particular

Postby MonteCristo » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:09 am

No one in particular wrote:Hm! So, what is seen is what Jillian thinks of the others. But what they say! That is still them, not Jillian!

So what does it mean that the Banhammer-Jester says that she should be hunting?

The Banhammer jester is not her real father; she saw him in her dreams before when her father wasn't around. So what the banhammer jester is saying IS all in her head. I have to check back to what the jester has said before, but it does seem to tell Jillian what she SHOULD be doing. Like her inner sense of duty to faq... like maybe she sees her father as a fool and in these dreams this fool happens to speak what she thinks is common sense; the jester tells her what her father should be telling her instead of what he does tell her. Or something like that. IN this case, its telling her that she should be hunting for Olive
MonteCristo
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby No one in particular » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:34 am

MonteCristo wrote:The Banhammer jester is not her real father; she saw him in her dreams before when her father wasn't around. So what the banhammer jester is saying IS all in her head. I have to check back to what the jester has said before, but it does seem to tell Jillian what she SHOULD be doing. Like her inner sense of duty to faq... like maybe she sees her father as a fool and in these dreams this fool happens to speak what she thinks is common sense; the jester tells her what her father should be telling her instead of what he does tell her. Or something like that. IN this case, its telling her that she should be hunting for Olive

In the past, that may have been the case, but it is her father now. From the last update:
IPTSF Text 70 wrote:She tried to turn to where her father had been standing.

The bald jester stood there now.

Just because the signamancy has carried over from earlier hallucinations, doesn't mean that this isn't her father talking. The bird-Snipe is also from an earlier trip (IPTSF Text 59), and Betsy & Rusty are both the actual casters, not simply figments of Jillian's imagination.

I think the way the Banhammer-Jester is freaking out about catching Olive & getting the casters to safety is what Banhammer is REALLY feeling, without any courtly etiquette, philosophy or anything else in the way.
"Are you always so pessimistic?"
"Not at all. I saved it for my last battle."
---
Got questions? Ask Count Downer!
No one in particular

Postby Azukar » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:46 am

Titans' testes, can Olive just CROAK already :(

It's amazing how a story updates page by page every few days can still keep me on the edge of my seat...
---

-Az
Azukar

Postby Lilwik » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:28 am

I can't wait to finally see a real Shockamancer in action and hopefully put aside all doubts about what a Shockamancer does in combat. Shockamancy is on the axes of Motion, Matter, and Erf. It should be something like Croakamancy, but far more crude and direct just as all the Erf disciplines are compared to Fate disciplines. We've seen Shockamancy make units unable to move somehow when Sizemore read the NSFW scroll, but stopping motion strikes me as something I would expect from Turnamancy. In some sense, Shockamancy should be a combination of Turnamancy and Dirtamancy, in the same way that Croakamancy is a combination of Dollamancy and Changemancy.

I like the idea of Shockamancy being like archery, with the Shockamancer creating things like a Stuffamancer, but only being able to create fast-moving things that are already in motion, like arrows. Of course it's simpler for the Shockamancer to create a shapeless blast of burning gas or perhaps a featureless shard of metal flying at enormous speed. On the other hand, maybe when we see Shockamancy blowing a hole in a unit what we are seeing is stuff being unmade and the axis of motion is what allows the caster to form a blast of unmaking. Or perhaps a Stuffamancer is unable to unmake a unit because a unit has Motion and therefore isn't considered stuff, with the Motion interfering with the Stuffamancer's magic, and a Shockamancer is able to use the Motion axis to unmake units.

Shockamancy seems to have a mental component, but every other discipline that has a mental component is on the Life axis. Thinkamancy and Hippiemancy are the other disciplines that relate to the mind as far as I'm aware. Surely a Flash Mob affects the mind, too, but perhaps the apparent effect on the mind are purely indirect and what the Shockamancy is actually acting upon is restricted to other body parts.
Lilwik

Postby Lipkin » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:12 am

The NSFW spell shocked the units into inaction. As in, startled, stunned, aghast. The Flash Mob likewise had a similar effect.

Rusty Trombone is both the name of this caster, as well as a rather indecent sexual act, leading more credence to Shockamancy not just having to do with direct violence.

But considering that Rusty's signamancy was that of a Pikachu, I think more likely than anything, we are going to see the image that most prominently comes to mind when we hear the word "shock." Dude's gonna toss some lightning.
Lipkin

Postby Shai_hulud » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:04 am

Didn't get the pikachu reference. Also, do you suppose those funny shapes that came out of the ground were the "real" spell?
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby 0beron » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:32 am

Very interesting. Though this isn't Banhammer's usual "self" talking, I hope that afterwards he remembers it and gets on board with the "croak Olive" plan. That is assuming Rusty doesn't outright croak her now anyway.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby drachefly » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:42 am

I think that she's repeating what the jester says because no one else can hear it, which means it's not Banhammer.

But if it is, Olive's recent behavior may have been sufficient betrayal that he would get the hint.
drachefly

Postby Lipkin » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:50 am

Shai_hulud wrote:Didn't get the pikachu reference. Also, do you suppose those funny shapes that came out of the ground were the "real" spell?

Once they’d found him, they had to lure the Shockmancer out of the bushes, where he had transformed into a giggling little knee-height daemon of sorts. Long, pointy black-tipped ears protruded from his head, and he had grown a jagged tail. Most startling was his face, like an animal’s, with enormous liquid black eyes.

“Peek at you!” giggled the nasty little creature. It looked Jillian up and down, obscenely licking its lips and laughing.

Compare.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q= ... 1705923492
Lipkin

Postby 0beron » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:59 am

drachefly wrote:I think that she's repeating what the jester says because no one else can hear it, which means it's not Banhammer.
I think she herself has failed to realize that it's Banhammer, so she thinks nobody else can hear him. Also let's remember...she's high haha, she's not exactly gonna be making much sense because she's gonna be thinking out loud.
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Morni » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:16 am

0beron wrote:
drachefly wrote:I think that she's repeating what the jester says because no one else can hear it, which means it's not Banhammer.
I think she herself has failed to realize that it's Banhammer, so she thinks nobody else can hear him. Also let's remember...she's high haha, she's not exactly gonna be making much sense because she's gonna be thinking out loud.

Or it could be Banhammer orders.. she receives then in the form of the jester.

Jillian probably see's her father as a jester, so it make sense to me.
Morni

Postby Taikei no Yuurei » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:23 am

If the jester she is seeing is really Banhammer... why did Banhammer refer to himself by the title he doesn't use (king) in the third person? I highly doubt that we're seeing such an unbelievable shift in Banhammer's mentality. I mean, I suppose it could be the Hero buds. And maybe they broke a spell that Olive had put on Banhammer, but it still seems like a stretch, particularly the part where he says to 'get the king high'. I'm fairly sure he has never used that title before.
Taikei no Yuurei
Tool + Erfabet Supporter!
Tool + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby 0beron » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:27 am

Orders involve Natural Thinkamancy that convey intent without words, so the unit interprets it without confusion. So given Jillian's altered state of mind, I think it's reasonable that there'd be some grammatical inconsistencies because she is basically taking Banhammer's orders and putting them into words from her perspective.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Mogster2 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:47 am

Okay, I am no longer convinced that Jillian is attracted to Wanda simply because she's a masochist. In fact, I don't think she's attracted to Wanda at all. She's attracted to Mirror-Wanda.
Mogster2

Postby Mogster2 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:53 am

Taikei no Yuurei wrote:If the jester she is seeing is really Banhammer... why did Banhammer refer to himself by the title he doesn't use (king) in the third person? I highly doubt that we're seeing such an unbelievable shift in Banhammer's mentality. I mean, I suppose it could be the Hero buds. And maybe they broke a spell that Olive had put on Banhammer, but it still seems like a stretch, particularly the part where he says to 'get the king high'. I'm fairly sure he has never used that title before.

Well, this is all from Jillian's point of view and filtered thru her perceptions, and she's not exactly in the right frame of mind right now. Still, it does seem unlikely that the Jester corresponds exactly to Banhammer, but the two are linked somehow.
Mogster2

Postby Amado » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:08 am

FWIW (not much), I think the fat little jester is a manifestation of Charlie somehow. I'm not sure enough about that speculation that I'd bet on it.

But I speculate that the jester is NOT Banhammer. That, I'd stake a bit on.
Amado

Postby drachefly » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:42 am

0beron wrote:

Another tidbit: the jester refers to the king in the third person.
The jester thing wrote:Magic Kingdom! Magic Kingdom! Get the King high! Get yourself high!
drachefly

Postby Lipkin » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:51 am

drachefly wrote:
0beron wrote:

Another tidbit: the jester refers to the king in the third person.
The jester thing wrote:Magic Kingdom! Magic Kingdom! Get the King high! Get yourself high!

Then that begs the question.

Where is the king?
Lipkin

Next

Return to Reactions