The Crucible Discussion Thread

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

The Crucible Discussion Thread

Postby Kaed » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:49 am

Seeing as my last game sort of died out, due to most of the players afking forever and probably because of me a bit too, I guess I'll officially declare it dead. Farewell, Victoria, Daphnes! And you too, you crazy Dune reference. You know who you are.

But, a new game is going to start now!

However, this one is going to be a bit different from my usual games, in that we will not be starting from level 1 capitals with just a ruler in them. That's fun, sure, but I'm going to be honest - it's very time consuming doing all this early game expansion and exploration. So, instead in this case, you will all play a ruler on an established side of your design. The plot will not be revealed until all three people have been chosen. The basic design of the side is following the usual format of point allocation.

Spoiler: show
Unit Templates
Infantry
Stabber (5/3/1/5) +4 (30)
Stabbers are slightly faster than pikers and are focused on attack over defense.
Piker (7/2/3/5/garrison) +4 (20)
Pikers are popped as garrison units, meaning that they start with no move; they can be upgraded to field units for 50 schmuckers. This raises their upkeep to 30.
Archer (5/5/0/5/garrison, ranged) +4 (30)
Archers are popped as garrison units but can be upgraded for 50 schmuckers, raising their upkeep to 40. Their prime advantage is being able to hit stacks without engaging them and being able to target flyers or other archers.
Scout (3/0/0/20/ scout) +4 (30)
Scouts have a very high move compared to your other infantry, besides having high move they also have the “scout” special which give them very limited thinkamancy. They may buy Flight for 4 points or terrain capability for 2.
Knight (10/3/3/5/rider) +14 (90+10 per level above 1)
Knight-class infantry is your strongest infantry and is not cheap, but they can change the outcome of a battle. They may buy a single Simple special, but it costs an extra point.
Special Units
Special units are divided into two classes, Knight (humanoid) and Beast (animal). Knights cannot be Mounts and Beasts cannot be Riders.
Special A/B (8/2/2/6) +12 (60+10 per level above 1)
You get two of these weaker special units.
Special C (12/3/3/4) +18 (120+20 per level above 1)
The stronger variant of the A/B-class special, they might not be cheap, but they are well worth it.
Special D (16/4/4/3/heavy) +26 (300+50 per level above 1)
The absolute juggernaut, the D-special gets a whopping 26 points to spend on specials and upgrades. These units cost the most schmuckers in the game, but they are also the most destructive units.

THERE WILL BE NO NAVAL BATTLE IN THIS GAME

PHASE 1: SIDE CREATION

There are several special qualifications to get into this game. First, you must design your side a history for me. It doesn't need to be a ten page epic tale, but it needs to be written well enough that it piques my interest. Which means it also shouldn't be a dry recitation of this happened then that happened then snooooore. You may make your side's history stretch back as far as you like, have it have gone through a dozen rulers and thousands of turns if you so wish. However, several factors will remain concrete with the present day sides you all possess:

1 Capital (level of choice)
3 Cities (levels of choice)
1 Non-thinkamancer caster, up to level 6

Additionally, you have 3... let's call them Fate Points to spend on the following:

Extra city (1 FP)
Potent magic item (1 FP)
Extra caster (choose dicipline, may be thinkamancer) (2 FP)
Non-arkentool artifact (3 FP)

For these bonuses, the details and levels will be selected by me, aside from being able to choose the type of caster you want, should you pick one. You may choose to revise your history slightly based on what I give you, which is okay.

NOTE: I am giving you a lot of freedom on making your side's lands and caster here, keep in mind that whatever you pick will counterbalance what you are given as your Fate Rewards. Being more humble will result in more potent mystery gifts, and the reverse is true too.

PS. If every last one of you picks a thinkamancer as your bonus I'm going to cry
Last edited by Kaed on Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.
Kaed
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Re: The Crucible - Erfworld Game (3 openings)

Postby 0beron » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:00 am

Ooooooooh damnit you just had to go and do this didn't you? Just when I was deciding I'm probably too busy to play in a second game....hmmm I shall have to give this some thought and see if I can justify diving in.

A couple clarification questions though.
  1. You sure you don't wanna implement the uniform Basic Infantry stats I did in my game? Makes things easier to track and less complicated that way....
  2. When you say "levels of choice" with the cities, what exactly do you mean? Do we have like a total number of levels to split between our cities? Are you going to decide their levels based on our other decisions? Or are we literally free to just say what level they are freely?
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Kaed » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:03 am

0beron wrote:
  1. You sure you don't wanna implement the uniform Basic Infantry stats I did in my game? Makes things easier to track and less complicated that way....
  2. When you say "levels of choice" with the cities, what exactly do you mean? Do we have like a total number of levels to split between our cities? Are you going to decide their levels based on our other decisions? Or are we literally free to just say what level they are freely?

1) I'll be fine, but thanks :) I kind of like it this way
2) You may have 4 level 5 cities if you wish, and a level 6 whatevermancer if you want. But I can pretty much guarantee that if you do that, all your bonus cities and stuff will be level 1 and located in awkward places, and your magic stuff will be only of extremely conditional usage.
UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.
Kaed
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Grand Diplomat » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:17 pm

Is there any Criteria for the story other than make it interesting?
Grand Diplomat
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby Kaed » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:21 pm

Not that I can think of. Creativity and effort are definite pluses though. And since it's erfworld, referencing something is of course okay, as long as it's not direct copy into erfworld
Kaed
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Grand Diplomat » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:29 pm

For a simplemancy do we need to choose a particular school of magic or could we leave it blank so that the unit can pop with magic for a random school?
Grand Diplomat
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby Kaed » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:33 pm

It's gotta be picked as part of the design xD
Kaed
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby GWvsJohn » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:30 pm

Is there a reference for special costs in this game?
GWvsJohn

Postby Grand Diplomat » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:36 pm

I've just assumed that they were the same has I have them in the game I'm running.
Grand Diplomat
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby GWvsJohn » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:48 pm

There were some changes between version 2 (which I think Kaed's old game and 0beron's current one use) and version 3 (both 0berons base and my edited version)
GWvsJohn

Postby 0beron » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:53 pm

There's actually more like 3 versions now. 2, which was Kaed's old game, 3 which would be the change that fixed Resource Points, and 3.5 in which GW nerfed the living bajeezus out of everything by upping Special costs :p
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Grand Diplomat » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:55 pm

Well yea there are now 3 versions plus mine which is pulled form just about all of those so... Ha Ha Ha.
Grand Diplomat
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby Grand Diplomat » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:15 pm

OK here is my story.
So many turns ago that time itself forgot, there was a side called Equestria. Equestria Popped a Royal Heir Warlord named Mare Moon. Mare Moon Because Equestria had grown so large that it could not defend itself Mare Moon was alloyed to spin of a New side. Mare Moon named Her side Equester. Unfortuanatly Equestria's good fortune did not last. A Coalition of it's enemies gathered. Equestria lost battle after battle until finally the capital city of CanterCourt fell to the Coalition. Mare Moon and her forces almost over came the Coalition wining battle after battle through her strategic brilliance and her many and varying types of mounts. Unfortunately she was croaked. Mare Moon died Fighting in an enemy Dungeon where her Pegehorn simply couldn't help her. When Mare Moon croaked her Daughter, Celestia Moon, became queen and decided to cease all conflict. Her pacifist ways of only defending what was already her's and never attacking not even to retake a city that was lost cost Equester greatly. The Coalition rallied against the week Queen the moment they heard of her peaceful ways. When Breaking Dawn Was Popped he saw how things were and when he Realized that the Source of the Problem was his own Mother he made a play for the Throne and succeeded. Unfortunately while securing the crown all 5 of the casters escaped Breaking Dawns Grasp into the Magic Kingdom. King Breaking Dawn realized that without any casters he could not hope to beat the Coalition, for it was made of 10 sides, weakened has they maybe, and each side had at least one caster when Mare Moon fought against them. So Breaking Dawn Gathered His forces and fled Raising the City has he went. The Coalition giving battle to straggling units until finally all that remained was Breaking Dawn and 4 faithful knights. He eventually made it to the coast where he commandeered a ship. So he sailed away to where ever fate decreed he should go.
What do you think?
Side: Equire
Ruler: Breaking Dawn
Side Special: Terrian Capable
Favored Terrain: Plains
Hoofman (5/3/3/7) (30)
The Hoofman are fast and fairly armored warriors that make up the back bone of the Equine military.
Shield Bearer (7/2/7/5/Garrison) (20)
Shield Bearer's are the City Guards and Body Guards. These heavy armored men will give there lives rather than see there charge fall or Croak.
Horse Spirit Bowman (5/9/0/5/Garrison, Ranged) (30)
Guided by the spirits of the Mounts that have come before these bowmen strike with both accuracy and skill.
Scenter (3/0/0/24/Scout) (30)
These men share one thing in common with horses. They share a great sense of smell.
Lancer (10/10/10/5/Rider) (90+10 per level above 1)
These men are held to the highest standards. When they come charging upon there foes the very erf shakes!
War Stallion (8/2/2/36/Speed Boost5, Mount) (60+10 per level above 1)
These mighty beasts stand taller than any man and are more than capable of caring men great distances. War Stallion come in all colors imaginable (Yes even Neon Pink).
Unihorn (8/2/2/18/SimpleMancy (Shockamancy), Speed Boost2, Mount) (60+10 per level above 1)
These magical beasts may not move has fast has War Stallions but when they reach the battle field their foes will be shocked ( :D ) at what happens.
Pegespear (12/11/3/22/Flight, Speed Boost3, Mount) (120+20 per level above 1)
These Flying mounts look much like War Stallions and come in all the same colors has
Pegehorn (16/4/4/19/heavy, Speed Boost+, SimpleMancy (Shockamancy), SimpleMancy (Dollamancy), SimpleMancy (Flower Power), Flight, Mount) (300+50 per level above 1)

Equire (Capital) Level 2
Tower 110/-/-/+2
Dungeon 50/-/-
Tunnels 25/-/-
Inner Wall 50/-/1
Outer Wall 75/-/3
Flavors:
Throne Room
War Stallion Production

Arkle, Curlin and Dr. Fager are level 2 cities with the following stats
Tower 110/-/-/+2
Dungeon 50/-/-
Tunnels 25/-/-
Inner Wall 50/-/1
Outer Wall 75/-/3
Flavors:
Knight Production
War Stallion Production

I would also like a level 1 predictamancer.
I would like an Artifact for my Fate points.
Last edited by Grand Diplomat on Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Grand Diplomat
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby 0beron » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:38 pm

*nada*
Last edited by 0beron on Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Grand Diplomat » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:41 pm

My apologies, It's just a little to close... Oops. I'll edit that he he :oops:
Grand Diplomat
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby Godzfirefly » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:30 pm

Baldy Mark, was a royal Master Eyemancer of a massive side now remembered only as the Eastern Empire thousands of Turns ago. He led a small group of troops on the western border of the Empire as though he was a warlord, and he'd led his troops into battle as often as any warlord. In frustration at the way his troops were being treated, disbanded for having even the smallest bit of individuality, thrown away in meaningless attacks on the bordering sides, and forced to forage for their own upkeep each turn rather than being paid from the rich treasury, Baldy Mark broke from his side along with the troops he led (whose Loyalty had all grown stronger towards Mark than towards the side itself). Knowing that he could not oppose his parent side directly while on its border, Baldy Mark razed the city he was assigned to protect for the Schmuckers to flee westward through the lands of the Eastern Empire's enemies. For the Master Eyemancer, a veil capable of hiding his units as they fled was simple, and they fled as Barbarians until no one they saw seemed to even have heard of the massive side they fled.

When they reached that point, they found a barbarian capital city that was easy to capture and founded a side on its captured site. The side of Baldimark, named after its founder, slowly grew (and even flourished) for thousands of Turns, relying first on the Eyemancy of their leader King Baldy Mark, and later on the string of caster heirs that followed. For instance, Queen Treyd Mark was a Signamancer known as Elsa Beth the Peacemaker who crafted a long-time alliance with a southern side named Wrathwellin for mutual defense against a rich mountain side named Karth that had a habit of hiring mercenaries to invade them both. Unfortunately, after a string of royal casters, a war with a northern side (which Karth took advantage of) resulted in virtually every caster and most warlords of Baldimark to be wiped out before a truce could be made. The weakened side was no longer able to afford to be choosy about selecting only a royal caster as heir, and there have been none since. Five rulers and 500 turns later, the current ruler is Queen Hitta Mark, a warlady who earned her levels in war against an entire barbarian side that Karth hired to invade Baldimark. Her father, the king, was croaked in the last battle of the war, when the entire barbarian side was croaked in defense of Baldimark's southernmost city. Now, she takes the crown with a vengeance, ready to act in defense of her side and to regain the lost glory of the casters of Baldimar. Her daughter, a newly popped royal Luckamancer named Lucky Mark, would be the first step in this recovery.

Side:
Capital: Haven (Level 5)
City 1: Westmark (Level 3)
City 2: Kettlesmythe (Level 2)
City 3: Forst Reach(level 2)
Side Signamancy: White clothes (lined with colors for the units with color in their names) and the Symbol of a Pure White Horse rampant on a field of green
Side bonus: Forest Capability
Starting Caster: Level 1 royal Luckamancer, heir
Fate Points: 2 pts for a Moneymancer, and 1 point for an additional city, please.

Units:
Blue Guard (Stabber) 5/4/2/7; The basic offensive unit, this swift blue-trimmed unit carries a long curved sword into battle.
Grey Guard (Piker) 10/3/4/5; The basic defensive unit, a tough grey-trimmed unit that carries a thick-handled halberd into battle.
Red Guard (Archer) 5/6/1/7; The Red Guard are the red-trimmed units that carry a light shortbow into battle. Quick on their feet and quick to fire, these light archers are all that defends Baldimark from air attacks.
Fidrych (Scout) 3/0/0/20/flight; A large yellow hawk-like bird marked with black tiger stripes. Awkward on the ground, it only looks quite right in the air.
Green Guard (Knight) 13/8/5/7/Rider, Healer; The green-trimmed knight units carry a heavy sword and a natural healomancy kit capable of helping other units recover faster on the field of battle.
Companion (Special A) 11/4/2/24/Mount, Speed Boostx3; Visually, these pure white units look like horses with particularly large heads and blue eyes. They pop with silver saddles and can speed across terrain faster than most units. Frequently paired with Heralds to move leadership into areas with great need.
Herald (Special B) 8/5/4/7/Rider, Leadership; Also known as the White Guard, these white-clad knights act as basic leadership units. Often paired with a Companion, the Herald can ride across Baldimark to support units in a pinch, carry detailed orders from Haven into the field, or give orders where necessary.
Kyree (Special C) 12/9/5/16/Natural Thinkamancy, Speed Boostx2, Beast; A pure white, wolf-like unit with the ability to perform light thinkamancy. Invaluable to leaders that need communication across large numbers of units but have no Thinkamancer.
Ratha (Special D) 30/11/8/35/Heavy, Speedier Boostx2, Mount; A massive, pure white jungle cat, the Ratha can carry up to four light units swiftly across terrain to put important units exactly where they need to be.
Last edited by Godzfirefly on Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Godzfirefly

Postby 0beron » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:47 pm

FINALLY, a female Ruler, whoever you are thank you. Idk your IRL gender but the site is dominated by guys (cus ya know, internet...) meaning most games also have an abundance of male Rulers. So to preserve some variety and realism, I always play a Queen despite being a dude. Now, I'm free to be a King instead for a change.

Of course ironically enough, the side I have in mind and the reference means it should be a Queen instead...or even Overlady come to think of it. Not sure about that aspect though.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Grand Diplomat » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:06 pm

Well Godzfirefly I like your story telling abilities has much has I like Your side making abilities. If you get in I think Kaed will have lots and lots of Fun. He He He.
Grand Diplomat
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby Kaed » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:42 pm

Use 0beron's rules, including standardized infantry, with experimental exception: special units can be allocated more or less, and upkeep/pop time will be adjusted. Points used over the 'cap' may only add new abilities, not more stats.

Important:
OVERSTACKED ABILITIES WILL RESULT IN INCREASINGLY HARSH UPKEEP AND POP TIME PENALTIES.

i.e if you want a five headed doomdragon who's heads all have a different breath attack, okay, but they will rape your poor treasury worse than Parson's plans.
Kaed
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Grand Diplomat » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:47 pm

Interesting.
Grand Diplomat
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Next

Return to Your Games