Commanders - Sign Ups [CLOSED] and Discussion

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

Re: Commander - Sign Ups [CLOSED] and Discussion

Postby GWvsJohn » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:30 pm

Actually, Macho stated his opinion on several things that were still in debate: which city to hit first, what to do with the non-Lore units, distribution of leadership and casters, whether to split our forces.
GWvsJohn
 
Posts: 571
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:52 pm

Re: Commander - Sign Ups [CLOSED] and Discussion

Postby Sir Shadow » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:04 pm

Actually, none of those things were really in debate, there were 2 plans each of which would be followed depending on 1 factor.
Demon Lord Etna wrote:Looks like I have to resort to the politician's golden rule: "If they can't prove it, deny, deny, deny."
User avatar
Sir Shadow
 
Posts: 326
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:53 am
Location: When you reach the border of hell, turn right. Can't miss me.

Re: Commander - Sign Ups [CLOSED] and Discussion

Postby GWvsJohn » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:14 pm

Sir Shadow wrote:Actually, none of those things were really in debate, there were 2 plans each of which would be followed depending on 1 factor.


Well, until all the PCs give agreement, it is in debate. LTDave actually proposed an alternate plan.

Your post was super passive aggressive for absolutely no reason.
GWvsJohn
 
Posts: 571
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:52 pm

Re: Commander

Postby Acorntail » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:04 am

Sir Shadow wrote:Lol, aww... but if you were a moneymancer we could try to come up with something for a Croakamancer/Moneymancer link to do :P


It'd mortgage something, obviously.
Perpetually locked in a Mathamancy/Turnamancy link.
Acorntail
 
Posts: 137
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:56 am
Location: Down Under

Re: Commander - Sign Ups [CLOSED] and Discussion

Postby understandslittle » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:31 am

Tank can see stats as well, and it's not as if she was hiding it.
understandslittle
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:29 am

Re: Commander - Sign Ups [CLOSED] and Discussion

Postby 0beron » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:34 am

understandslittle wrote:Tank can see stats as well, and it's not as if she was hiding it.
There's nothing to suggest magic items show their stats in the same fashion units have stats. It seems casters have to identify what an item does through study or experimentation, or be told what it does. Of course this particular instance with the book doesn't matter, but we'll let Acorn make a final ruling on it for future reference.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
User avatar
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
 
Posts: 3153
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:52 pm
Location: Morlock Wells

Re: Commander - Sign Ups [CLOSED] and Discussion

Postby Acorntail » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:42 am

0beron wrote:
understandslittle wrote:Tank can see stats as well, and it's not as if she was hiding it.
There's nothing to suggest magic items show their stats in the same fashion units have stats. It seems casters have to identify what an item does through study or experimentation, or be told what it does. Of course this particular instance with the book doesn't matter, but we'll let Acorn make a final ruling on it for future reference.


Well... I'll rule that the effects of a magic item show up, such as Tank's helmet. If a warlord looked at his stats, it would show Defence 4 (+2), so him having a magic item could be determined that way. In the case of the book, however, it's a passive effect and doesn't affect Ogmah's stats.

I'd say that you can know whether or not an item is magical just by looking at it, but not whether or not it is an artefact or what it does, or where it is. Casters can identify the magic, and any unit can identify the effect. Casters can identify an effect without actually interacting with the item so long as its magical alignment is in the same school, but they need to spend a small amount of juice.

Tank could probably have guessed Ogmah had the book anyway, considering its a Thinkamancy item and she's the Thinkamancer.
Perpetually locked in a Mathamancy/Turnamancy link.
Acorntail
 
Posts: 137
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:56 am
Location: Down Under

Re: Commander - Sign Ups [CLOSED] and Discussion

Postby 0beron » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:46 am

Acorntail wrote:Casters can identify an effect without actually interacting with the item so long as its magical alignment is in the same school, but they need to spend a small amount of juice.
I would add a little corollary that certain caster types have superior identification abilities. Sign, Doll, and Look all come to mind as disciplines who could spend a small amount of juice to identify something by looking at it.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
User avatar
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
 
Posts: 3153
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:52 pm
Location: Morlock Wells

Re: Commander - Sign Ups [CLOSED] and Discussion

Postby Acorntail » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:18 am

0beron wrote:
Acorntail wrote:Casters can identify an effect without actually interacting with the item so long as its magical alignment is in the same school, but they need to spend a small amount of juice.
I would add a little corollary that certain caster types have superior identification abilities. Sign, Doll, and Look all come to mind as disciplines who could spend a small amount of juice to identify something by looking at it.


Mmm, yes, but that probably applies because most magic items are aligned to either Dollamancy or Hat Magic in some fashion. Lookamancy could probably show you the type of magic as an aura, but I don't see Signamancy doing it beyond pointing out the obvious (Winged Shoes give flying). For a proper effect, I'd limit it to the discipline of the effect, with the exception of Lookamancy.

Also, LTDave, as someone who has studied a little German, you are doing my head in with mixing it and French. XD
Perpetually locked in a Mathamancy/Turnamancy link.
Acorntail
 
Posts: 137
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:56 am
Location: Down Under

Re: Commander - Sign Ups [CLOSED] and Discussion

Postby 0beron » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:29 am

[quote="Acorntail"I don't see Signamancy doing it beyond pointing out the obvious (Winged Shoes give flying).[/quote]Well there's the mistake...that stuff shouldn't be "obvious" to normal Erflings. Erflings have shown they have some basic understanding of Signamancy, so I think we'd have to assume a real caster of it would know more.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
User avatar
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
 
Posts: 3153
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:52 pm
Location: Morlock Wells

Re: Commander - Sign Ups [CLOSED] and Discussion

Postby Acorntail » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:01 am

0beron wrote:
Acorntail wrote: I don't see Signamancy doing it beyond pointing out the obvious (Winged Shoes give flying).

Well there's the mistake...that stuff shouldn't be "obvious" to normal Erflings. Erflings have shown they have some basic understanding of Signamancy, so I think we'd have to assume a real caster of it would know more.


Hmm, I suppose. Signamancy should suggest functions then, not divine them.

Aligned Caster: For Juice, determine the effect of that school.
Dollamancer/Hat Magician: For juice, determine the exact effects of an item from afar.
Lookamancer: For juice, identify the magical alignment of an item from afar.
Signamancer: Passively, identify the use of an item. For Juice, determine the likely effects of an item from afar, being more accurate the more juice you spend and the closer you are. This costs more juice than a Dollamancer/Hat-Magician's ability.

Of course, the most reliable way to determine a magic item's function is to use it. ;)
Perpetually locked in a Mathamancy/Turnamancy link.
Acorntail
 
Posts: 137
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:56 am
Location: Down Under

Re: Commander - Sign Ups [CLOSED] and Discussion

Postby 0beron » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:02 am

Acorntail wrote:Of course, the most reliable way to determine a magic item's function is to use it. ;)
hehe but of course :p And the verdict on Signamancy is fair, very much in the spirit of the school.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
User avatar
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
 
Posts: 3153
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:52 pm
Location: Morlock Wells

Re: Commanders - Sign Ups [CLOSED] and Discussion

Postby Acorntail » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:54 am

So, I've been drawing the characters, with the intent of illustrating some of the scenes when I get the chance. What do you guys think?

Image

I'm not the best artist; there's tonnes of problems with this that I'm not happy about, but there's also a lot that I like in this. Thought I'd share. :)
Last edited by Acorntail on Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Perpetually locked in a Mathamancy/Turnamancy link.
Acorntail
 
Posts: 137
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:56 am
Location: Down Under

Re: Commanders - Sign Ups [CLOSED] and Discussion

Postby GWvsJohn » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:30 am

Dude, that's is awesome. Rob should have hired you for book 3.
GWvsJohn
 
Posts: 571
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:52 pm

Re: Commanders - Sign Ups [CLOSED] and Discussion

Postby Acorntail » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:34 am

GWvsJohn wrote:Dude, that's is awesome. Rob should have hired you for book 3.


Oh god; if I was ever hired to illustrate a comic I would very quickly go into melt-down. XD

I'm more of a writer, but I love the comic medium. Me and a friend are planning on making one, she's a better illustrator than me by far, but we've both been too busy to get around to it.
Perpetually locked in a Mathamancy/Turnamancy link.
Acorntail
 
Posts: 137
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:56 am
Location: Down Under

Re: Commanders - Sign Ups [CLOSED] and Discussion

Postby Sir Shadow » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:50 am

The speed of the Wulfs isn't really going to be any boon to us because we're traveling at the speed of the uncroaked. The only reason I suggested to bring them was in case we needed to retreat and the Peakers weren't available. I think it's just best to keep as many living units in the capital we can so that the uncroaked bear the most casualties.
Demon Lord Etna wrote:Looks like I have to resort to the politician's golden rule: "If they can't prove it, deny, deny, deny."
User avatar
Sir Shadow
 
Posts: 326
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:53 am
Location: When you reach the border of hell, turn right. Can't miss me.

Re: Commanders - Sign Ups [CLOSED] and Discussion

Postby GWvsJohn » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:03 pm

They give us versatility. We can take short scouting forays with force and not slow the column. We can hit targets of opportunity our fliers see without slowing the column or risking fliers. Sitting in the capital they do nothing.

I see your point about the Peekers. I still think we need to leave 1 for Manly.
GWvsJohn
 
Posts: 571
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:52 pm

Re: Commanders - Sign Ups [CLOSED] and Discussion

Postby Sir Shadow » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:32 pm

On Wulfs: Eeeh, I'd have to disagree with you on that point. They have the Packmind special, which if it's anything like the one in 0beron's game, it's a force to be reckoned with. They're there to defend to the tunnels mostly. Also, I doubt we're going to need to split off from the main group given that all enemy units in the area should be nonexistent and we're heading away from the two other sides we might run into.

EDIT: And Manly can just take a wulf IMO. Until we're at Plot, a Wulf will get him to our position in 1-2 turns. Also, if he's attack off-turn it doesn't really matter if a peeker is there or not.

EDIT EDIT: Even if we did see enemies, we could likely take Peekers instead. They have more move and flight to boot.
Demon Lord Etna wrote:Looks like I have to resort to the politician's golden rule: "If they can't prove it, deny, deny, deny."
User avatar
Sir Shadow
 
Posts: 326
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:53 am
Location: When you reach the border of hell, turn right. Can't miss me.

Re: Commanders - Sign Ups [CLOSED] and Discussion

Postby GWvsJohn » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:04 pm

10 Wulfs aren't defending anything alone. Also, Packmind is aleadershipbonus, so it's more effective in the field with crappy level 1 leadership, not with Manly's big bonus.

Wulfs can be stopped by ground units if an enemy surrounds the city. He''ll have a better chance to get out on a flier.

Why risk Peekers which are essential for the air battle at the city? Just bring the Wulfs who are somewhat expendable.
GWvsJohn
 
Posts: 571
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:52 pm

Re: Commanders - Sign Ups [CLOSED] and Discussion

Postby Sir Shadow » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:06 pm

If an enemy force is big enough to have a chance of downing a Peeker-riding strike force with archon support, then we should be taking the whole stack to meet them.
Demon Lord Etna wrote:Looks like I have to resort to the politician's golden rule: "If they can't prove it, deny, deny, deny."
User avatar
Sir Shadow
 
Posts: 326
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:53 am
Location: When you reach the border of hell, turn right. Can't miss me.

PreviousNext

Return to Your Games

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BrimStone and 2 guests