Orbis Terrarum - new fantasy RPG game.

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

Orbis Terrarum - new fantasy RPG game.

Postby sarez » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:18 am

Hi guys,

I think this is the right place to put a link to an independent RPG being written?

We think we've got a good thing going, lots of fairly realistic cultures mixed with a healthy dose of fantasy and magic, and some hopefully clever and unique ideas like our Metier thing.

Plus, for a non-professional effort I think we've got a really good looking document?

..anyway here's the facebook page link: OrbisRPG
Please come and support our RPG: Orbis Terrarum RPG
sarez

Re: Orbis Terrarum - new fantasy RPG game.

Postby sarez » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:45 am

Just realised I should probably put a bit more here about it?

So here's the blurb from the facebook page + there's quite a few sample pages on there for anyone that wants a look.

Orbis RPG is a new fantasy role-playing rules system and setting..

Welcome to the latest incarnation/edition of Orbis Terrarum, a fantasy RPG has been developing for several years. This new edition is looking better than ever so we hope you'll follow us now, and join us later this year when we get to a full release of rules and setting.

We're a fantasy game set in a realistic, living world and ecology. We like to call the genre "gritty heroism" - this is low fantasy, not Tolkein, with a lot in common with classic pulp adventures like those of Conan, Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser, Nift the Lean, and other heroes of sword and sorcery. No elves or dwarves, but vibrant human cultures and history. Science and magic have equal weight - alchemy and scientific method function alongside and compliment the magics of Geomancy, Earthpower and Daemonology.

Although things are generally bloodily realistic, both rules and setting allow for heroism as well as grim practicalities.
We've a relatively realistic system, but PCs are tough enough to justify feats of daring do as well as the usual err, slight scumminess and 'practical' protagonists that previous years play tests have brought out!

Ours is a skill based system, mainly using d100 rolls - although we're not prejudiced against any shape of dice and they all get used somewhere (we have 'em, might as well use em!). Rather than 'levels', player characters have the option to increase both skills and various kinds of combat training (speed, toughness etc). Magic, from fiery runes, daemon-summoning, druidism, alchemy, kirurgery (magical surgery, I guess you could call it) and divination are available to anyone, although we've also made sure that there are viable character options for just about any profession - athlete, linguist, healer, huntsman, rogue or scholar (to name but a few).

There are no elves or dwarves and the like, but for centuries men have called creatures from Beyond the world, from strange spaces and dimensions beyond their own called Pandaemonium, or the Daemon Sea. Some people call them a plague, others servants of the divine: Daemons, spirits, gods...
sarez

Postby Taikei no Yuurei » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:27 pm

Sounds cool. Wish I had a group to maybe try this out with. Don't know if you've gone over to rpgcrossing or not, but you'd likely get a bigger response over there.
Taikei no Yuurei
Tool + Erfabet Supporter!
Tool + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby sarez » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:39 am

Ahh, no I haven't been to rpgcrossing. I shall rectify this immediately! :D

Thanks for the pointer Taikei 8-)
sarez

Postby sarez » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:38 am

So down to a final 5 or so things before we get a "proof of concept" print done, then off to Kickstarter we go!

I must admit I'm a complete novice when it comes to setting up Kickstarter projects so if anyone has any good advice then all gratefully received! :)
sarez

Postby sarez » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:00 pm

Well we've got a cover artist sorted in the form of Ollie Cuthbertson, and Gary Chalk (of Lone Wolf game-books and Talisman boardgames fame amongst others) doing some of the internal artwork for us :)

We're still on track now to launch the Kickstarter by the end of this month so keep your fingers crossed for us! ....Exciting times :D
sarez

Postby sarez » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:52 am

I've seen some concept work by one of our artists now and I'm very pleased!

Spoiler: show

Plus I've finished our world map,

and we've got the layout completely sorted,

..and am now working on the KS project so we should go live in the next few days! 8-)
sarez

Postby sarez » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:02 pm

So we've just made it by the end of the month and the kickstarter campaign is live!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1888550421/orbis-terrarum-rpg

Please head over and take a look and if you like our efforts then perhaps offer us your support in making the project a success! :)
sarez

Postby sarez » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:42 pm

50% funded so far! :D
sarez

Postby sarez » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:03 pm

86% sooo close! :)
sarez

Postby sarez » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:37 pm

Hurrah, Our project has just passed 100% so we're funded!! I'm sooo happy, thanks to any of you wonderful Erfworld fans that supported us!

...and if you haven't had a look yet then please do, any extra support now is going straight to funding more and better art so we get a really polished product!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1888550421/orbis-terrarum-rpg

sarez

Postby sarez » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:46 am

Woo-hoo We've just hit our first stretch goal so we're dancing around with excitement! :)

...for starters the stretch goal means we get a whole bunch more art by Gary Chalk of Lonewolf gamebooks, Talisman boardgame, and early Warhammer & White Dwarf mag (Although I don't know how many of these were released outside of the UK?)

Now we're just hoping with your support we can keep it up and hit the next one!! 8)
sarez

Postby sarez » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:59 pm

We're into the last week of our KS campaign now and really hoping we can hit the next stretch, so please come and give us a little Erfworldy support! :D
Final week!
sarez

Postby sarez » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:40 pm

We're into the last 48 hours now! :)
sarez

Postby sarez » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:26 am

Happy new year all! :)
sarez

Return to Your Games