Darkness Rising v2.0 - 'Tenebris Unleashed' Campaign

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

Re: Darkness Rising v2.0 - 'Tenebris Unleashed' Campaign

Postby Werebiscuit » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:03 am

Nnelg wrote:[The plan for actually taking the city, the last time I checked, was to use covered rams to move up without having to suffer fire from the enemy. Nemo would help too with Baffle, if need be.

The plan changes with each new proposer...and won't be finalised till we have to muster forces to march on it. I await with trepidation someone proposing that Bill mounts a Bad Ass and drops bodies on the elves from beyond their range, animating them on the way down. The ones that survive the fall can deal with the archers. Actually the Balrug would be better for that wouldn't it since it can carry more bod....blast, got caught up in my own ridiculousness.

Marbit...it might be better to just start the march for Logan's Run...or we'll get other loophole finding...and switching of forces.
Werebiscuit

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:10 am

Amen.

Seriously, at this point I'm considering sending Will on the Charlie suicide mission, at least -something-'s happening there.
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby MarbitChow » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:15 am

Nnelg wrote:If they have, why hasn't said army marched on our doorstep already? :roll:
Because, according the Story So Far, Breatheairia and Ix were engaged in a war and Breatheairia, due to the mountain range surrounding their rear cities, were funneling all their production into said war. They had lost a single Level 2 city to (what they thought was) a small side of little importance.

They sent a moderately-sized army that they felt should have easily recaptured the city, but between the time they launched the first attack and the time they arrived, many of the units they'd seen in the first attack only a few turns ago had leveled up from Level 2 to 4, and somehow found enough cash to level their capital to Level 5, thus gaining enough resources to wipe the elven attack out completely.

In addition, the Chief Warlord, Tod, directly taunted the Elven King before the attack even began, angering him so much that he decided to redirect all resources into crushing the upstarts. The elves have been treating their back field as primarily production centers until Turn 9, and all production went to the Ix War. Units leaving Rainbow Springs will reach Dis City in approx. 6 turns. Most of the available offensive units from Rainbow Springs were probably used in the 1st assault.

The elves have only known that Tenebris is a serious threat for only 4 turns, really. The most likely units being massed at Rainbow Springs right now are Faeries, since (of the cheaper units) they're the fastest, but thanks to Coil and towers, they're also the first to die horribly in an offensive strike (as Dis City proved). They might have a serious number of faeries, but they're going to need a lot more to take Dis City back, let alone march on Tenebris. After the first bloody nose, they're going to be very cautious.

Werebiscuit wrote:Marbit...it might be better to just start the march for Logan's Run...or we'll get other loophole finding...and switching of forces.
I'm assuming the march starts on Turn 13 - I believe that was the plan all along. I just need to know what units are marching in that direction, what units are staying in Dis City, and what units are going somewhere else (if any). You don't have to send in all the forces you bring along (heck, you could just send in Coil if you wanted to), but once the army marches, you won't be able to ret-con in additional forces.
MarbitChow

Postby Werebiscuit » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:15 am

Most if not all of that was known prior...and discussed in the now abandoned strategy & discussions thread.

We can try to work out possible additional forces at any one city as was done here as I tried to work out what Rainbow Springs could have by turn 13 (i.e. now)

Werebiscuit wrote:
Exate wrote:
Werebiscuit wrote:By the time we can get there Rainbow springs will have had 10 turns to replenish defences. If it's anything over a level 2 it could be brimming and have more reinforcements lined up coming in from the other cities. It's beginning to look like Logan's Run is the best option after all.
How do you come to this conclusion? Rainbow Springs is the weakest that it will ever be right now; since we only really cheesed off the elves on turn 8, it's likely that only high-move units will have had time to reinforce it if we move against it immediately.

Yup We cheesed off the king on Turn 8...very true.
However they started mobilising against us on turn 3 ! Fair enough that was from Rainbow Springs itself. Do you think Rainbow springs stopped popping when Armolad left...or did it try to build up resources at home and request some from it's neighbours ? Even if word went by foot it will have had one turn of reinforcement from Scarlett Hills by the time we can get there and 10 turns of it's own popped forces ( that's 80 UP points if level 3 ) Count that as the equivalent of 20 4AP warriors. 40 if garrison. So likely 2 stacks of garrison archers 1 stack of warriors and 2 leader units. From their own popping..
not too bad it would seem but consider if the level 1 warriors happen to be faeries and we dont have archery ?
Yeah so only high move units are likely to have reached it from elsewhere so it's likely they'll have cavalry mounted on Fryahovar's. If each city has sent 1 only then it's liable to be already there. That's a possible 6. Mounted warriors... waiting.

All I'm saying is..it's risky without battlespace info...and even if we send imps now we wont get that till turn 13. That's 10 turns after they moved against us.
We'd be battling against them at best the turn after that with 6 units.

Rainbow springs is unlikely to move against Dis for probably a minimum of 12 turns from turn 9 where their priorities changed.( time to reinforce Rainbow springs and get other troops from nearby cities to the muster point).
We can probably work out it's optimum time for setting out if we look at supply routes and distances ( maybe Junetta and Wandreus or Dusk and Twilight know these distances). (NOTE DIS IS CLOSER TO RAINBOW SPRINGS THAN ANY OTHER CITY BAR SCARLETT HILLS) If we move against it now we can possibly pre-empt their muster as we'd arrive turn 19 and we can possibly shave a couple of turns off that by clever use of the balrug.
We do know that as of turn 13 they have no forces on the road to engage us as the imps got to Rainbow springs before they were killed.

At the very minimum we could try to set up an ambush if we learn that there are significant forces setting out. (How much to establish a level one city...or do we need a city site , Marbit!)
Werebiscuit

Postby Nnelg » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:35 pm

All right, so this discussion's died down a bit since the Merc thread started up. Hopefully now heads have cooled (including mine), and we can get back to productive discussion.

The first thing I need to make clear is that I've scrapped my original "siege" plan entirely. (And have for some time, but that's besides the point.)

Anyways, as I see it, we have three possible targets, (Logan Run, Scarlet Hills, and Rainbow Springs) as well as one city to defend (Dis City). I think we're all in agreement that we should take Logan's Run now, but there has been some dispute about what else to do.

I think the first question we need to ask is: "do we have enough strength to take Rainbow Springs now, or will we have to weaken the elves again first?"

Because no matter what is in Rainbow Springs now, the elven army there is only going to get stonger. If we don't have have enough to take it already, then we will have to find some other way to even the odds first. Some sort of trap would accomplish this, such as luring the Elves into another costly siege. Reopening the Ixian front would draw off reinforcements, although it wouldn't be enough on its own. Whatever the case, regaining the strategic initiative will be difficult. Therefore, if we can possibly take Rainbow Springs now, we should.

If not, however, we must be prepared for the elves' response. We can be certain they will not sit idly by while we march on their cities. They will undoubtedly either deploy them where they expect us to attack, or send them at Dis City.

Now, if we were to attack both Logan Run and Scarlet Hills at the same time, the elves could let one fall and concentrate on the other. If they concentrated on defending Logan Run, they would likely completely wipe out our forces there. If they launched an attack at Dis City, they could get there before either of our armies will. I don't think Scarlet Hills, a level 2 in a bad position for us to defend, is really worth that risk.

Therefore, I'd like to propose a modified version of Exate's idea of a feint:

In addition to the Logan Run attack, we'll send an army in the direction of Rainbow Springs -but not actually attack it. A turn or two before the elves expect us to attack, we'll send several imps to "engage" the city. Many will probably die, but we should at least get a glimpse at the City's defences (we may even be able to use one of Tod's Thinkagrams to get a real-time feed, bat-style). At that point, we'll have a choice: if the defences are weaker than expected, we may be able to take it after all. But if not, this army will either turn towards Scarlet Hills, camp 9 move away from Rainbow Springs, or just return to Dis City.

This plan has the least risk overall of the plans which have been presented so far. By sending a large army in the direction of Rainbow Springs, we'll trick the elves into thinking that is our main attack. They'll turtle up in Rainbow Springs, rather than attack Dis City or the Logan Run task force. And since we won't actually be attacking Rainbow Springs, the army we send there isn't in any real danger, either.

So, any problems with this? Can we commence with the exact arrangement of units now? :P
"The Wizard is Charlie!"
Nnelg

Postby MarbitChow » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:37 pm

I'm going to assume that silence implies consent on using the Uncroaked Faerie to scout Logan Run.

The unit composition is as follows on Turn 13:

2 Stacks (16 units) of Zed Garrison Archers
4 units of Garrison Archers (Well-Armed, Skilled)
3 units of Level 2 Garrison Heavy Archers
1 unit of Level 2 Garrison Leadership Archer

If there are any melee units, they did not appear before the Faerie was dusted, and the Imp did not find any while attempting to search the city, although it was not able to make a comprehensive search as some doors were locked.
MarbitChow

Postby Swodaems » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:00 am

MarbitChow wrote:I'm going to assume that silence implies consent on using the Uncroaked Faerie to scout Logan Run.

The unit composition is as follows on Turn 13:

2 Stacks (16 units) of Zed Garrison Archers
4 units of Garrison Archers (Well-Armed, Skilled)
3 units of Level 2 Garrison Heavy Archers
1 unit of Level 2 Garrison Leadership Archer

If there are any melee units, they did not appear before the Faerie was dusted, and the Imp did not find any while attempting to search the city, although it was not able to make a comprehensive search as some doors were locked.

This information will be useful, but I now have another question. The quotes below interact oddly.

MarbitChow wrote:
Swodaems wrote:I also asked this in the rules thread, but I really want to know how far the hex barrier is from the wall.
More than 100 squares, well out of RLOS. That will be standard for all combats from this point on. I'm eliminating the Hex Barrier as a standard component of combat except for special circumstances.

From the rules thread.
MarbitChow wrote:You won't be able to take the City by sending in Cupid. Although Range Limits have been discussed in the Rules set, the rules were not updated to include them before I declared the rules 'final', so at present, archery is still officially unlimited in range.

If the next mission map isn't bounded by the hex barrier, what is it limited by? Some the the plans we're discussing involve using seige to knock down a wall to allow our melee troops access to the city's archers. That would require our current siege and the melee to walk up to the wall. To tell if that is a realistic option, we need to determine how many rounds would pass between the archers being able to fire on our troops and when they reached the wall.
Swodaems

Postby MarbitChow » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:24 am

I was going to try something a bit different - unlimited maps. But the more I think about it, the more that really does require explicit ranges for all ranged attacks.

Introducing squads into the rules has already changed things a lot, so for Logan Run, I'll still keep the hex border. It will be 20+ squares away from the wall.

Let me know if you want to hit the gate, or plan to go through another section of the wall as Nnelg had proposed.
MarbitChow

Postby Nnelg » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:22 am

MarbitChow wrote:Let me know if you want to hit the gate, or plan to go through another section of the wall as Nnelg had proposed.

Well, the hex border disrupts my plans a bit. Not too much, but enough.

I'd now suggest we just go with mining picks for Logan Run. Nemo can use Baffle to limit the amount of time our forces are exposed to the 2-3 Rounds that it takes to get to the wall. Oh, and he can conceal our forces just before the hex border, too.

Anyways, I only suggested attacking somewhere other than the gate to preclude the possibility of a sally forth, but now it's looking like that won't be a problem. We won't settle on where we're attacking until our imps scout on the Turn we attack. (Although, if there's no melee troops there when we do, we should be attacking the gate.) This question also depends on how many access points there are on the backside of the wall, which I do believe we've yet to get an answer from our imps on.

Anyways, for the attack force I think we should go with skeletal archers, golems, and a stack of living archers. We send in the skellies first, so they can soak up as many shots as possible. They and our living archers will start firing on the defenders, while Nemo starts Baffling the ramparts. If we time it right, we may be able to get 2 moves in for the infantry before the archers get to shoot again.

At least, that's the plan if Logan Run receives no significant reinforcements. If they get, say, two or three stacks of Fairies as backup, then we'll need to reevaluate. Either way, we'll need to send additional infantry, besides just the golems, unless we want to risk the elves reinforcing significantly and overwhelming our assault force.
"The Wizard is Charlie!"
Nnelg

Postby Swodaems » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:32 pm

Warning long post ahead.

I've got a calculation of the amount of exp we should recieve from this battle if there is nothing but the archers in that city when we attack it.

2 Stacks (16 units) of Zed Garrison Archers=16*2=32 (MarbitChow said garrison units are worth as much as their regular counterparts and 2 UP is the cost of a zed archer.)
4 units of Garrison Archers (Well-Armed, Skilled)=4*4=16 (4 regular units)
3 units of Level 2 Garrison Heavy Archers=3*6=18 (In previous battles, Exp value went up by 2 at level 2.)
1 unit of Level 2 Garrison Leadership Archer=1*6=6 (see above)

32+16+18+6=72 exp. If we want to use this battle to level Wandereus, he should get 9 exp. (Wandereus has 26 exp currently. Tod leveled to 4 at 35.5 and Triage didn't at 33.6. Assuming the amount of exp required was a whole number, that leaves 34 and 35.) That means no more than 8 exp-using units should be in the hex while the archers are croaking. Wandereus also has to be in the hex for that part of the battle. (MarbitChow, Wandereus does have to be in the hex for the entire battle right?)

Given how the last battle went, I think we should assume that the ranged battle will likely have had time to decide itself by the time any melee reaches the wall/door, even if it only takes a couple rounds. Then it will take some more to get thru said door/wall.

We need to think in terms of protecting crucial units from archery fire while returning fire ourselves. Here's a couple things in the rules we really need to consider.
MarbitChow wrote:Note: Fire attacks cannot target individual members of a Squad unless that member is not adjacent to any other member of the squad; the actual squad member hit is determined by the GM. Also, Squads and enemy units that are adjacent to an allied unit cannot be targeted by a Fire attack at all.

MarbitChow wrote:Combat Squads

Command Unit: Any unit with Leadership, Paragon or Caster.
Stack: A unit can only belong to 1 stack at a time. A stack is limited to 8 units. Units in a Stack cannot also be in a Horde.
[Requires Uncroaked or Thrilleror Bone Warlord] Horde: A unit can only belong to 1 horde at a time. A horde is limited to 24 units. Units in a Horde cannot also be in a Stack.

All Stacks and Hordes are Squads. Each Squad has a Squad Leader. Any unit can be a Squad Leader. If a Squad Leader drops from a stack (due to a Regroup action or being croaked), the former Squad Leader can designate a Command Unit in the Squad to become the Squad Leader as part of the Regroup action. If no other Command Units are in the Squad, all members of the Stack are dropped as well, and each will need to spend a Regroup action to join a new Squad. Squad Leadership is not visible to other Sides.

If the Squad Leader is a Command Unit, the Squad Leader can freely change a Squad's Order at the start of each round for their Squad. Units with Leadership can also issue a Squad Order for any Squad. If a Squad receives conflicting orders, order of resolution is: Squad's Leader, then Chief Warlord, then Highest Leadership, then Closest Leader.

In large-scale encounters, units that aren't in a Squad will only act to preserve themselves - the events of the battlefield are too complex for them to try to decide what the best course of action is. Command Units and Units with Free Will (Player Characters) are always able to determine their own actions.

All Squads have an Order which is made up of one Tactic, and one Attack [Target]. The default Order is Hold, Target (Any). Orders are set at the start of Combat, and can only be changed at the start of each round.

Attack [Target] - Target must be a unique identifier, and is applied to the entire squad. Examples: Target (Unit Name, ex. 'Tod'), Target (Unit Type, ex. 'Faeries'), Target (Unit Proximity, ex. 'Closest Units'), Target (Units with Abilities or Specials, ex. 'Leadership'), Target (None), Target (Any: same as Closest)

Protection considerations:
The archers are defending so they can shoot us as soon as we enter the hex with delayed actions. That is a guaranteed 24 shots we have to deal with right away.
Since Creperum called away one of the Brickbats, we can only use the 3 we have to soak up a maximum of 21 shots, provided we aren't willing to lose 1.
If Bill is leading a decent sized horde, he is easily the safest unit in the hex. Without the ability to target him directly, any archer trying to hit him may only have a chance as low as 1/24 of doing so. If we stick him next to a brickbat with order to only screen for Bill, he'll be fine for quite a while. (MarbitChow, do we need to squad the Brickbats now to give them orders? And how complex could those orders be?) Any other units can only get up 1/8 protection if they're stacked with 7 other units. Additionally, given the circumstances, those other 7 are likely to be valuable to us, where as Bill's skeles are disposable. There is a possibility the enemy could choose to simply ignore the opportunity to fire on Bill's horde and concentrate fire on any secondary squad in the hex if it is more valuable. Therefore finding ways to protect the secondary squad is key.
Vinny's fire cloaks will be useful to have on the more valuable units in the hex. However, they should go to units not already on a mount. They were made to be used.
The ability of mounts to protect units when the bats have been used up is debateable.
Bill certainly shouldn't be mounted on a kitty since it couldn't join his horde or any stack. His mount would be uncontrollable and, according to the rule about unsquaded units, would "only act to preserve itself". (Best case: It stands around doing nothing. Worst case: It drags Bill out of the hex or away from the protection of his horde into enemy fire.) Bill's mount would also be able to be targeted as an individual, allowing for it to be easily eliminated by any archer wishing to drop Bill to the ground.
(Neat little squad trick: As written, the rules would allow 8 stacked command units to go to each corner of the battlefield as pairs and still not allow individuals to be targeted with a >1/8 chance because they're all adjacent to another member of the squad. Could be useful under right circumstances. A leader and a paragon could order 6 non-command units forward and stay back themselves.)

Fire Assault considerations:
According to the rules, eliminating squad leaders without a backup command unit gives us an odd bonus, in that the others members of the squad are dropped from it and must use an action to restack. This would allow us to then target individuals of the survivors unless they all spent an action restacking.The Archer with leadership will probably be stacked with the other 7 non zed units. He is likely to be that squad's leader, that may not be the case. (If I were in his shoes, another unit would be squadleader. That way the enemy has to eliminate both me and him before the squad disbands.) The 16 zeds may or may not be stacked as 2 groups of 8 with 2 random ones as squad leaders.
Since we can no longer give Skeles well-armed, they will be regaining their fire actions at the same time as the garrison zeds.
Anything that has more than 8 com can fire faster than the garrison zeds.
The targeting options for Bill's horde have some odd new restrictions under these rules. The entire horde is restricted to all of them either firing at random targets, firing at a single squad, or firing at an individual. If we want to use members of the horde to boost Bill's shots, or the shots of any other character with 2 fire actions, that character has to follow the same firing pattern as the whole horde.

Taking these things into mind, I've come up with a rather minimalistic plan to take Logan's Run. It uses only 6 exp-using characters, all of them PCs. (I have another idea for what to do with Wandereus.)

The PCs for the Plan:
Tod (The Skele archers and Bill will have use of his in-hex bonus.)
Bill (Bringing a horde of Skeles)(wearing both the +1 and +2 com rings to get to 8 com)(He also needs his staff for turns 15,16,&17. If Vinny comes along, He can give the staff to Bill as needed.)
Nemo (Defense for after the bats run out)
Triage or T. Coil (Additional fire power and healing if Triage.)(Triage is borrowing T. Coil's staff if he comes to get to 8 com) (Will isn't a choice here for good reason. He only has 59 exp.)
2 leeches who should level if they get 12 more exp (I'm expecting level 5 at 75 exp, so the choices are Triage or T. Coil, Yuri, Vinny, Brick, Fort, Rudy, and Donovan.)

Additional resources the team needs: (Anything that uses exp stays outside the hex until the archers are gone.)
All 3 remaining Brickbat swarms
4 naughty kitties pulling 2 bone carts worth of corpses. (One of these 16 corpses may be a level 2 warlord. I forget if the bonus from putting an uncroaked one in Bill's horde stacks with bone warlord or not. If not, this is just a regular corpse.)
The 9 current Skele archers (Maintained by Bill through-out the trip)
6 cloaks for all PCs
potions if Triage isn't coming.
1 disposable golem (Yes, it will be destroyed. I would use another uncroaked or skele in its place, but the carts only carry so many corpses.)
a few assault capable NPCs armed with picks or a ram. (May be golems made by Vinny in route if he comes.)
Best wards Triage can manage in case we take a hit
The spearmen Tod is training might be good to have around, maybe along with a NPC warlord.

Travel:
Turn 13: Team sets out and moves 8 hexes towards Logan's Run.
Turn 14: Team moves 8 more hexes towards Logan's Run. Bill raises something. (If the Uncroaked warlord's bonus would stack with Bill's in a horde, it is uncroaked now. If it wouldn't, Bill creates a skele warrior. Either way, it will not be maintained during the trip. It will suffer 3x normal decay and 1x extended decay, but will still make it to the battle without dusting.)
Turn 15: Team moves 8 more hexes towards Logan's Run. Using his +8 juice staff, Bill raises 5 more skele archers. (Also not maintained) The 9 starting Skele archers suffer from extended decay again.
Turn 16: Team moves 8 more hexes towards Logan's Run. Using his +8 juice staff, Bill raises 5 more skele archers. (Also not maintained)
Turn 17: Using his +8 juice staff, Bill raises 5 more skele archers. (fresh for the battle) Team then assaults Logan's Run.

Battle:
Stacks: Bill is horded with either 23 skele archers or 22 skele archers and the uncroaked Warlord. The other PCs are stacked together with the disposable golem, a skele archer with 2x extended decay and either the skele warrior or another a skele archer with 2x extended decay. (These last 3 are known as the "filler".)

Round 1: The 5 freshest skele archers declare coordinate on Bill. (4 of the second freshest declare support on Triage if he is there.)
Before phase 0: Nothing enters until the Brickbats can enter at phase 0. Alot happens then.
Phase 0: Brickbats enter and form a 3 square line 2 hexes in. Then the squad with 5 PCs and the filler moves into the hex. The squad has orders to rally at a point not adjacent to the brickbats, but adjacent to each other. (I'm certain that the filler will follow the order, but I have doubts about the 5 free-willed PCs. They may instead choose to cower in fear in 5 of the 6 hexes in front of and behind the line of brickbats, leaving one of the forward corners open, (possibly with Triage in the other forward corner). I fear we have serious disipline issues.)
Presumedly, this is when the enemy opens fire on the squad. The shots should distribute themselves randomly across the PCs and the filler because all members of the stack are adjacent to another member. Shots aimed at PCs can be screened by the bats. Shots aimed at the filler can not. The filler is destroyed while the PCs survive, maybe with a couple shots left on the bats too. (Rules say that commanders don't have to follow their own orders. This trick should be fair game as it does follow the "the enemy has to be able to do it too" clause. They would need 2 units defined as commanders in a stack due to their lack of free-willed units, but they could do it.)
Bill enters with his horde and takes his place in the empty forward corner. The empty squares around him fill with the 5 skeles who declared on him. (The 4 who declared on Triage go next to the other forward corner.) The rest of the horde clusters around the PCs like a shell of bone.
Every fire capable unit we have except Nemo lets loose. (We need Nemo's delayed action. T. Coil uses a shockamancy spell if he is there.) Target is whichever enemy squad is toughest. It should get rather brutalized by this treatment.

Round 2: The 5 freshest skele archers declare coordinate on Bill. (4 of the second freshest declare support on Triage if he is there.)
Before phase 8: A few of the archers with com higher than 7 may have survived. If so,we determine if it is safe or not to take their fire. If not, Nemo baffles the PCs and the bats using his delayed action.
Phase 8: Bill (and maybe Triage) fires again, this time at target(any). Nemo puts up a baffle around the PCs and bats.
Phase 7: The skele archers and garrison zeds exchange fire.

Round 3: The 5 freshest skele archers declare coordinate on Bill. (4 of the second freshest declare support on Triage if he is there.)
Before phase 9: nothing
Phase 9: Nemo dispels his baffle as a free action.
Phase 8: Bill (and maybe Triage) fires again, this time at target(any). Nemo puts up a baffle around the PCs and bats.
Phase 7: The skele archers and garrison zeds exchange fire.

We repeat round 3 as much as needed. We bring in the units with picks when things are done and then do a sweep of the city.

This leaves us with the question of what the other PCs should be doing while we're taking Logan's Run.

The suggestion has come up that we try taking either Scarlet Hills or Rainbow Springs. I don't think that going for either is a good idea. Rainbow springs is likely an enemy mustering point. It is probably too well defended to take without growing our army a bit. We might be able to get Scarlet Hills, but I think we would pay too much to do so. Scarlett Hills is too far away. Our army is rather small at the moment, so we are screwed if we use the majority of it to take Scarlett Hills. The enemy would know the instant we took Scarlet Hills. They also have a thinkamancer who can be used to get information about the size of the force we used at each battle from enemy commanders in each city before they fall. Scouting or clever mathamancy will tell them how stretched out we are. If the majority of our army is at Scarlett Hills, the enemy may blast thru either the weakened Logan's Run or Dis City in an attempt at our capital. (Also, the position of the Ixian envoys suggest that the IX/Breatharia border may be slightly past Scarlet Hills. We may see units from that front coming from there soon.)

What I'm saying is that we need to take a break from claiming cities after Logan's Run and do some needed building up. We should find ways of making money that don't involve taking cities. (MarbitChow, you said earlier that we could sell potions made by our casters in the Magic Kingdom for Rands. Could we use them to hire a moneymancer as a consultant? Someone who might be able to tell use a good balance of troops to forage with.)

With Charlie's mission already underway, this leaves 2 options for PCs not going to Logan's Run. The Escort mission or Random encounters. The escort mission has an obvious value to the side, but it might not be good for everyone. This is where Wandereus comes in.

I'm creating a "Wandereus' Hunting Party" mission. Random encounters by another name. A simple gathering of troops looking to both have fun and try to level as a group. Wandereus will be leading it. We'll stay in the Dis city area, in case the scouts report an attack coming. MarbitChow, would it be acceptable for me to use him as a one time character?
Swodaems

Postby WhirdCheese » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:27 pm

So Fortune goes with the hunting party?

And I say he's the chief warlord he gets to choose what happens.
WhirdCheese

Postby MarbitChow » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:24 pm

Swodaems wrote:MarbitChow, Wandereus does have to be in the hex for the entire battle right?
He's got to be in the hex for each kill you want him to get XP from, so yes.

Swodaems wrote:MarbitChow, do we need to squad the Brickbats now to give them orders? And how complex could those orders be?
No, brickabats and bodyguards can protect any adjacent unit without being part of a squad. Brickabat orders are same as they always were: Protect X, Protect X,Y,Z... or Protect All Adjacent. If two brickabat stacks are protecting the same target, they'll alternate taking hits. Brickabats cannot be ordered to take only 7 of 8 hits in a phase (so if 9 arrows are fired at their target, they'll absorb 8 and 1 gets through - not 7 and 2 get through), but they can be given orders to not protect anyone at the start of any phase. Brickabats act without regard for Vinny's cloaks; they can't be ordered to allow the 1st shot through (letting the cloak soak it) and take the remaining. They don't understand that the shot couldn't hit, just like they don't understand that the shot might not penetrate any armor. They just see the incoming shot.

You can form a 9x9 square with a squad of 8 and a chewy brickabat center, and the squad will not suffer a Fire attack until the Brickabats are gone.

Swodaems wrote:(Neat little squad trick: As written, the rules would allow 8 stacked command units to go to each corner of the battlefield as pairs and still not allow individuals to be targeted with a >1/8 chance because they're all adjacent to another member of the squad. Could be useful under right circumstances. A leader and a paragon could order 6 non-command units forward and stay back themselves.)
You guys never cease to amaze me. :) Looks like I've got to issue a clarification:

If a squad is split into 'sub squads' spatially, units with Fire cannot target individual members of each subgroup, but they can select which *subgroup* they're firing at. There's no way I'd allow a rule that allows for an arrow to be fired randomly at a squad and not know whether the arrow will go North, South, East or West from the archer until after he fires.

Swodaems wrote:MarbitChow, you said earlier that we could sell potions made by our casters in the Magic Kingdom for Rands. Could we use them to hire a moneymancer as a consultant? Someone who might be able to tell use a good balance of troops to forage with.
They might be able to, but other than Juice potions, casters don't generally have much use for Juice potions. Using the MK to sell Healing/Ward potions to other sides falls under the same logic as scrolls: you run into the MK monopoly and resistance increases.

However, you already know that the best method of hunting is a combination of units with Fire and Scout. Note that you can 'over-forage' an area. If you reach the point where you're foraging 1/2 the upkeep of a major city, that won't be sustainable for more than a turn or two.

Swodaems wrote:I'm creating a "Wandereus' Hunting Party" mission. Random encounters by another name. A simple gathering of troops looking to both have fun and try to level as a group. Wandereus will be leading it. We'll stay in the Dis city area, in case the scouts report an attack coming. MarbitChow, would it be acceptable for me to use him as a one time character?
Yes, you can use Wandereus as a one-shot for such a mission. However, I've mentioned before that random XP-generating encounters don't occur near cities. You'll have to venture several turns away from Dis City (3+ at least) before anything interesting can occur. The Ruin Hex was an obvious exception, but it has been exhausted and likely will not respawn for a considerable length of time. (You have no idea how long, but hundreds of turns would not be unreasonable.)

WhirdCheese wrote:And I say he's the chief warlord he gets to choose what happens.
Your side already has a Chief Warlord. You only get one. :) (Nemo was ranking Tenebris unit only because almost nobody else in the group was an actual Tenebris unit, especially after Whump croaked.)
MarbitChow

Postby WhirdCheese » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:29 pm

I was talking about Swodaems who posted right before me.
WhirdCheese

Postby Nnelg » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:30 pm

I see two problems with your plan, Tod:

1.) If we don't attack anywhere but at Logan Run, the Elves will reinforce it. Add Armolad and at least two stacks of Fairies to that exp estimate of yours.

2.) We won't have Bone Carts in time to preserve the corpses from Dis City, since the Gobwin Artisans have to build them.

Of those two, the first is the most important flaw. No offense, but am I the only one around here who's thinking about how the elves would react to our maneuvering?
"The Wizard is Charlie!"
Nnelg

Postby Swodaems » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:06 am

MarbitChow wrote:
Swodaems wrote:MarbitChow, do we need to squad the Brickbats now to give them orders? And how complex could those orders be?
No, brickabats and bodyguards can protect any adjacent unit without being part of a squad. Brickabat orders are same as they always were: Protect X, Protect X,Y,Z... or Protect All Adjacent. If two brickabat stacks are protecting the same target, they'll alternate taking hits. Brickabats cannot be ordered to take only 7 of 8 hits in a phase (so if 9 arrows are fired at their target, they'll absorb 8 and 1 gets through - not 7 and 2 get through), but they can be given orders to not protect anyone at the start of any phase. Brickabats act without regard for Vinny's cloaks; they can't be ordered to allow the 1st shot through (letting the cloak soak it) and take the remaining. They don't understand that the shot couldn't hit, just like they don't understand that the shot might not penetrate any armor. They just see the incoming shot.

You can form a 9x9 square with a squad of 8 and a chewy brickabat center, and the squad will not suffer a Fire attack until the Brickabats are gone.

Swodaems wrote:(Neat little squad trick: As written, the rules would allow 8 stacked command units to go to each corner of the battlefield as pairs and still not allow individuals to be targeted with a >1/8 chance because they're all adjacent to another member of the squad. Could be useful under right circumstances. A leader and a paragon could order 6 non-command units forward and stay back themselves.)
You guys never cease to amaze me. :) Looks like I've got to issue a clarification:

If a squad is split into 'sub squads' spatially, units with Fire cannot target individual members of each subgroup, but they can select which *subgroup* they're firing at. There's no way I'd allow a rule that allows for an arrow to be fired randomly at a squad and not know whether the arrow will go North, South, East or West from the archer until after he fires.

My plan is still workable, I just need to change the formation so that most of the the PCs and the filler all count as one group. Would this work?
Code: Select all
B=Bill, P=other PC, f=filler, b=Brickbat swarm, s=Skele archer (not all pictured)
sssss
sBPPs
sPbbs
sbPPfff
So long as the filler is unlucky enough to take at least 3 out of 24 shots, all 3 swarms should live.

Nnelg wrote:1.) If we don't attack anywhere but at Logan Run, the Elves will reinforce it. Add Armolad and at least two stacks of Fairies to that exp estimate of yours.
Reinforcing Logan's Run with Faeries may be difficult or impossible task for the elves.

We have reason to believe that the faeries with Armolad retreated to the city of Rainbow Springs.

The faeries won't be able to make it to the battle at Logan's Run if they're still in Rainbow when we set out on turn 13.

It will take us 5 turns of travel time to cover the distance between Dis City and Logan's Run. This gives the Elves 4 turns of reaction time between our turns.

Level 1 Faeries have 12 move, so they can cover 48 hexes in 4 turns. (Level 2 and higher faeries would be able to cover more ground.) With Logan's Run 51 hexes away from Rainbow Springs, level 1 faeries can't make it if they leave after we set out on turn 13.

Of course, feinting an attack on another city may buy us the ability to get a turn or two of hesitation from the Elves, decreasing the probability of seeing leveled faeries at Logans Run. We can combine the feint with the escort mission. The Escort mission has to go to northeast while Scarlett Hills is to the EastNorthEast. The escort mission spends 1 turn heading down the path toward Scarlet Hills alongside whatever remaining mobile units aren't going to Logan's Run or on Wandereus' hunt. After that they break towards the meeting place with the envoys while the other units return to Dis city.

Nnelg wrote:2.) We won't have Bone Carts in time to preserve the corpses from Dis City, since the Gobwin Artisans have to build them.
I think we need a ruling here. While certain parts of the rules imply that corpses do decay, I can't find any specific rules about how long the process takes. We were able to retconjure Bill into uncroaking a faerie corpse on turn 10 or 11, so the effect can't be immediate. MarbitChow, do we still have the corpses from the most recent battle?
Swodaems

Postby 0beron » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:04 am

I believe that if I understand correctly, Swods most recent plan would have Vinny not participating in the battle? To which I say Hell no don't you dare. I'm still a pathetic level 2, and 3 is when I actually become more valuable. On top of that, my golems take no XP, so you might as well bring all of them too because it's better odds with no XP "penalty". So yeah, Vinny WILL attack Logan's Run, or you won't be happy with what he does instead.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby MarbitChow » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:27 pm

Swodaems wrote:MarbitChow, do we still have the corpses from the most recent battle?
I've ruled early on that you guys can keep the corpses until you're ready to use them. That ruling still stands, so you still have all the bodies from the Dis City battle, and you will until you use them. The bodies stored at your cities won't de-pop. (We'll assume the city has a morgue analogue that Bill can sort them into, and cackle over.) Bodies claimed in the wild must either be uncroaked or transported to a city, however.

0beron wrote:To which I say Hell no don't you dare. I'm still a pathetic level 2, and 3 is when I actually become more valuable.
Any PCs that do not get included in the Logan Run assault WILL be allowed to "venture into the wilderness" to gain XP. This is a story, but this is also a game, and one in which each player gets treated fairly. No PC gets shafted out of XP this session due to another player's decision, no exceptions.
MarbitChow

Postby 0beron » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:32 pm

MarbitChow wrote:Any PCs that do not get included in the Logan Run assault WILL be allowed to "venture into the wilderness" to gain XP.

skfhsiufsfiuhsfiuWHAT? So...it takes another player attempting to shaft me, to get what I wanted in the first place? -_- Or will this 'venturing' still carry that sizable risk of croaking? Because if so, you're really NOT doing me any benefit, and Vinny's 'threat' still stands.
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby MarbitChow » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:01 pm

0beron wrote:Because if so, you're really NOT doing me any benefit, and Vinny's 'threat' still stands.
I've spent the last 2 hours working on the map for Charlie's mission #1. I spent a few hours working on the map for Logan Run prior to that.

Neither are currently complete.

Please forgive me if I don't leap on the opportunity to create new scenarios for one or two players until the point that it's required for fairness sake, rather than player whim.

Besides, Vinny WAS listed in the list of PCs to bring along, although I realized that only 2 of the PCs were going to be chosen from that list. Due to his unit-generating strengths, I personally assumed you'd be along, but the ultimate decision is still Tod's.
MarbitChow

Postby 0beron » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:08 pm

My mistake, I missed the fact that there was a list in parenthesis in Swod's plan post.
I really don't know why we aren't just bringing every unoccupied PCs, but if we really must pick only a few then the low levels should have priority. We're at a disadvantage here and we need to catch up. The lvl 4s are already twice as strong as the forces we expect to encounter.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

PreviousNext

Return to Your Games